[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should 4chan have more women and PoC on the moderation team?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 8
File: diversity.jpg (33 KB, 600x350) Image search: [Google]
diversity.jpg
33 KB, 600x350
Should 4chan have more women and PoC on the moderation team?
http://strawpoll.me/6155596
>>
>>366363
Oh wow. A coordinated strawpoll. You are sure showing 4chan. I wonder what site you came from. Did you need me to cross-link this thread to other boards?
>>
>>366363
Where is the I literally do not care option?
>>
4chan should be a quality board for all its users, not just the privileged young white male demographic. We need mods who understand the experiences of women and minorities.
>>
>>366378
Who the fuck comes to 4chan and whines about being offended?

There are people in your city right now that are hungry as fuck and cold. There are families that are forced to live under overpasses or in their cars, eating out of restaurant dumpsters. Yet here you are, complaining about 4chan, a place you don't have to browse at or post on.
>>
this isn't a boys club for angry bitter virgins any more, do what's right hiro :)
>>
>>366388
It is not whining, it is a constructive suggestion. A more diverse moderation team will benefit everyone.
>>
>>366363
>>
>>366390
So says you I assume? There are plenty of posts that show the moderation is falling short - is that due to the diverse moderation team? Perhaps we need a less diverse team?

Who is to say this isn't true? You have no source whatsoever and are assuming, so hey, we can play this game all evening.
>>
Only if they fucking show their god damn motherfucking titties.
>>
http://strawpoll.me/6156055
>>
>>366363
>checks reddit
>thread about this poll
Hmmmm.
>>
>>366459
My poll is slowy getting "yes" votes as I look but not a single shitposter picked the last opition. HMMM I WONDER WHAT IT MEANS
>>
>127 "yes"
>10 "no"
>8 posters
I sense bullshit
>>
>>366389
this. as 4chan becomes a mainstream website for me and my friends, I want to see less racist shitposting and more fun inclusive content and harmless memes
>>
What the white, priviliged, male users of 4chan don't understand is that 4chan is a harmful, toxic place for blacks and women. They are discriminated against all the time. We need lasting change--lasting change that can only be brought about by minorities and women in positions of power on this website.
>>
>>366497
>>366508
4ching is "a harmful, toxic place" for everyone.
Whats with the board getting so many bait posters now?
>>
>>366524
Spoken like a true oppressor. Your time has come to an end, bigot.
>>
Fuck niggers
Fuck whores
Gas them all
>>
>>366363
How do we even know how many are on the moderation team to begin with? I have no fucking clue who the mods are and I don't care as long as they do their job and don't act like faggots.
>>
what's a poc?
>>
>>366363
How about hiring based on actual skill instead of worrying about trivial shit like appearances?
>>
>>366363
I think 4chan should have a moderation team, yes. I think this would be a great idea.
>>
>>366524
No moderation. I think when Hiro came it was like 4chan just said "I give up".
>>
>>366363

Not happening, go back to reddit.

You didn't even try to hide your shilling, I found the post in a minute. Shit tier attempt m8
>>
>>366633
nice

>new admin
>everyone complains about how shitty moot's mods were and demands new ones
>mods panic
>shit up boards on purpose (remember how swaglord had /s4s/ invade /qa/ when hiro started taking suggestions?)
>mods say "look how bad the boards are hiro! We need more power!"
>>
If they end up on the moderation team, fine. However we shouldn't go out of our way to get any
>>
>>366648
You posted this multiple times. You're not fooling anyone. I believe that mods would shitpost and not do their jobs. I don't believe they would do it for more power which could just be taken away from them anyway and would actually require them to do something other than use a hot pocket as a fleshlight.
>>
>>366659
>not fooling anyone
How would I be trying to fool anyone? That's what's fucking happening and you know it.

>I don't believe they would do it for more power which could just be taken away from them anyway
You are fucking naive. The type of people who want to mod forums FOR FREE get off on the power. Don't believe me? Go back and look at /q/ posts when the mods were more open, or check the IRC leaks.
>>
>>366363
If a woman want to volunteer as a 4chan moderator, she's welcome. This place is not about being a man or a woman, black or white etc.

But if the question is "Do we NEED them?", the answer is no.
>>
>>366363
No, fuck off to tumblr, fat whale.
>>
File: 0b5.gif (80 KB, 170x207) Image search: [Google]
0b5.gif
80 KB, 170x207
>>366363
i have a better idea: we should have more traps on the moderation team
>>
>>366363
>Should 4chan have more women
No. Kill yourself.
>>
I'm glad that 4chan is becoming a more tolerant place. Even our new admin now, thankfully, is a man of color with diverse experiences.
>>
File: 590.jpg (33 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
590.jpg
33 KB, 640x640
>>366378
>>366389
>>366497
>>366508
>>366539
>>366808
>those fucking posts
>there are people on this board right now who actually think like this
>>
>>366808
>Even our new admin now, thankfully, is a man of color
Do Asians count as "men of colour"? I thought it was just used to make blacks feel better?
>>
>>366811
It's only natural that you, as a white male, would feel triggered like this.

Our former admin was a typical white male, but now we have a male from the Asian community who can direct this site through more diverse personal experiences. This only makes the site better and it follows that having more mods that understand PoC and female experiences because of their own personal experiences would bring greater depth and better moderation to this board.
>>
>>366811
I -think- most of them are just ironic shitposts and not people's actual opinions
>>
>>366811
Nah, they're just shitposts.
>>
>>366813
Of course it does:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person_of_color
>>
>>366815
>typical white male
He was actually a transexual woman who was attracted to males
>>
>>366819
That's why I said "typical". White men are usually mentally ill like that.
>>
>>366820
>transsexual
>mentally ill
Fuck off back to Reddit you cisgendered scum
>>
>>366815
>this fucking new
nobody here gives a single shit about your age, sex or skin color, you fucking moron, only your posts matter. put your cancerous culture up your ass and go die in a fire
>>
>>366821
Sexual orientation and presentation derive from biological defects and are things that white people created because they have no identity.

Sex and race, however, do matter and as such we should have mods to represent those communities.

>>366822
Posts carry all sorts of ideological prejudice and experience behind it. People will articulate and think different things based on their race, sex, socioeconomic status, etc. We need mods who can understand that by looking at their own personal experiences.
>>
Going with no on this one. If there were women qualified enough or even interested in being moderators they would have applied and been accepted in the past.

Now kindly fuck off with your equality shit, I'm already tired of you white knights prancing around in the technology branch saying there aren't enough women. No shit, there aren't enough women truly interested in technology.
>>
>>366663
>The type of people who want to mod forums FOR FREE get off on the power.
Then I'll repeat my question, since you were too retarded to answer it the first time. If mods act up because they're power hungry, why aren't they even using the power they have now? Because they aren't doing shit. And secondly, what fucking good would it do them? They're not all-powerful, they're not even board of directors powerful. If the admin doesn't like their behavior even AFTER they "get what they want" as you claim, he can just lock the faggots out and give them the boot. Nothing significant would be accomplished with this behavior.
>>
>>366827
There may not be _enough_ women interested in technology but there _are_ women who do have a passion for it.

Give moderation power to some of these women and minorities who have a love for this website.
>>
>>366826
put that fact into your thick head: NOBODY GIVES A SINGLE FUCK. you're a massive faggot for just making this thread and you did nothing of value that would make you any less of a faggot. go kill yourself along with the shit in your head
>>
>>366816
>>366817
with all the reddit/tumblr infestating this place, some of them will dare to say this kind of shit
>>
>>366832
If you have a passion for it then follow it and don't complain that THE WORKING ENVIRONMENT IS TOO MALE FOCUSED I FEEL OPPRESSED, I CAN'T BREATHE.

Women shouldn't get special treatment when applying, that would cause the opposite of how things work right now. People apply whatever their gender and if they seem good, they are accepted.

Again, kindly fuck off.
>>
>>366833
I didn't make this thread. There are multiple people who "give a single fuck". I'm sorry you feel triggered by this, but you have to understand that increasing diversity among our mods will increase the quality of this site.
>>
>>366838
They shouldn't get special treatment when applying or when accepted, but women should be allowed to apply and there are women who can do better jobs than the current mods.

There is the added benefit of their diverse experiences, which should also be considered in their application.
>>
>>366840
>There are multiple people who "give a single fuck"
>imfuckingplying
i miss times when this kind of retardation would end in a permaban
>>
>>366844
This is why we need more diversity. Then people would understand where my post is coming from and it wouldn't be considered "retarded" or worthy of "permabanning".
>>
>>366843
>but women should be allowed to apply and there are women who can do better jobs than the current
And are you somehow implying that that isn't the case right now? If you have a complaint about mods, take it up with Hiro-kun but don't go saying shit like "BUT MAKE SURE THEY WOMEN CAUSE WE NEED MORE WOMEN MUH EQUALITY."

If there happen to be women who apply at that time who are more qualified than men who apply, they should be accepted but never should they be considered OVER men just because they're women.

Again your problem is MUH EQUALITY, wanting a 50/50 ratio when that doesn't make fucking sense, the ratios aren't even CLOSE and never will be.
>>
>>366844
Why do you hate free speech?
>>
>>366848
I never said this is for equality or that I wanted a 50/50 ratio. Don't set up strawmen to knock them down. I also ask you to calm down so that you can think logically and not make such emotionally-charged, inane statements.

I am just expressing my view that more diversity among the moderators will benefit the site and judging by the poll and other posters in this thread, this opinion is shared by many. It has also been tested in many studies about diversity in the workplace.
>>
>>366847
you're a retard for believing that anyone here gives a fuck about anyone else and everyone with more than a single brain cell knows that, be it a grill, nigga or 12y old
>>366851
ban for not lurking. absolutely justified
>>
>>366854
I beg your pardon, but we have a board for where people care about other people called /soc/, and one could also add /cgl/. People also share personal stories on several boards.

Once again, posts carry ideological biases and experiences with them. No one can be truly "anonymous" because everyone's writing and beliefs are unique and they clearly show on the site.
>>
>>366853
Your view benefits nothing except your own delusional way of thinking. Whoever seems best is picked, so if the ratio ends up like 90% male 10% female, that's not the men's fault or anyone's fault in general, there simply isn't enough interest for women most likely because women aren't usually as lifeless as men are.

Nice trying to deflect the truth though, I commend you.
>>
>>366860
Did I ever say that it was the men's fault or that it is the site's fault for the current lack of diversity among the moderators?

Once again, don't set up strawmen and then knock them down. It's very intellectually dishonest.

I would be happy with a 90/10 split or with any split, as long as there were some mods who understood the experiences of minority groups because of their own personal experiences.
>>
>>366858
great job pointing out all the cancer that constantly ruins this site. but you know what? you can die today and nobody here will care tomorrow. that's how irreleant you are
not even considering your OC because it's obvious that you never made any worth remembering
>>
>>366862
It seems you would care if I died today, because it would make you happy.

And my significance or insignificance does not matter. What matters is how to make the site a better place for all its users.
>>
>>366861
>Did I ever say that it was the men's fault or that it is the site's fault for the current lack of diversity among the moderators?
And I never implied that you implied that, calm down.

>Once again, don't set up strawmen and then knock them down. It's very intellectually dishonest.
I'm not setting up anything Anon, I think I just stepped on your toes by telling the cold hard truth.

>I would be happy with a 90/10 split or with any split, as long as there were some mods who understood the experiences of minority groups because of their own personal experiences.
You act as if men are completely incapable of stepping into another person's shoes, that's pretty sad.
>>
>>366864
>It seems you would care if I died today, because it would make you happy
Except we wouldn't even know so no, we wouldn't be happy or sad, just completely indifferent
>>
>>366864
>implying i give a shit about some random anon
>this fucking delusional
>>
>>366867
There are many on this site who believe women have no empathy and that non-whites are inferior, so while not all men cannot relate to others, many here do not.

And only a person with similar lived experiences can truly understand the daily struggles of another person of their affiliated group. A woman cannot ever truly understand feeling emasculated or male suicide and a rich person cannot ever truly understand poverty.
>>
>>366869
>>366870
Good for you. If you don't care, then you can leave this thread because you add nothing of use except your emotionally-charged drivel that makes feminazis look intelligent.
>>
>>366871
>There are many on this site who believe women have no empathy and that non-whites are inferior, so while not all men cannot relate to others, many here do not.
How do you know for sure that is what they truly believe? How do you know they're not just shitposting/trying to be edgy which is common behavior on 4chan?

>And only a person with similar lived experiences can truly understand the daily struggles of another person of their affiliated group. A woman cannot ever truly understand feeling emasculated or male suicide and a rich person cannot ever truly understand poverty.
It doesn't matter if you don't understand, you can still empathize with them and try to come to some solution. I'm not saying current conditions are great or anything but it works for me, I don't visit boards or threads that cause this type of drama in the first place, 4chan isn't the place for it to begin with.

If a conversation is too sensitive, then don't fucking have the conversation especially on an anonymous image board where acting like a jackass is expected.
>>
>>366872
said the retard who never contributed anything. kudos to you. why aren't you dying in a fire yet?
>you can leave
>oh no! my hugbox thread is ruined!
>>
>>366873
Does it work for you because you are white and/or male?

Being a jackass is expected of course. I am not saying that site culture needs to change. There is already a great deal of diversity in thought, sex, race, etc. here.

It's adding diversity to the moderators that we are discussing as they help order and structure this site.
>>
>>366877
>Does it work for you because you are white and/or male?
Couldn't have gotten it more wrong, kudos.

>Being a jackass is expected of course. I am not saying that site culture needs to change. There is already a great deal of diversity in thought, sex, race, etc. here.
Good.

>It's adding diversity to the moderators that we are discussing as they help order and structure this site.
It's not a problem that people are concerned with. If you don't like what you read on 4chan, leave.
>>
>>366876
If you feel uncomfortable from hearing a dissenting opinion and all you have to add is your incessant whining, then create your own thread.
>>
>>366879
Well, one woman or minority does not speak for them all.

People do seem to be concerned with it considering the poll and others in this thread.
>>
>>366881
The poll isn't going to lead to anything so there is no point in talking about it. If you are the type of person who gets their feelings hurt due to certain comments you clearly don't belong.
>>
>>366881
>implying the poll isn't rigged
>>
>>366880
maybe you fuck off with your "white male" and your other delusional bullshit? you're the only strawman and put everyone in one bag here
>>
>>366883
My feelings do not get hurt. I am just saying that added diversity among the moderators will benefit the site as it has in the workplace and in other online communities. These people should still have the required qualifications and merit to do it for free, but having people with unique experiences will increase quality on the site.

>>366884
I do not know one way or another, but I assume that it isn't because it's 2015.
>>
>>366888
>because it's 2015
It was a troll all along...
>>
>>366888
>My feelings do not get hurt. I am just saying that added diversity among the moderators will benefit the site as it has in the workplace and in other online communities.
You keep saying that but tell me exactly how it would benefit anyone here? Your feelings aren't supposed to get hurt in the first place so whatever gender/race/etc you are, that shit shouldn't apply to begin with.

You think I have a hissy fit whenever people on /v/ go "WE WUZ KINGS" or post some other jolly African American related meme? I embrace it because I too find other African Americans who commit crimes to be funny.
>>
>>366890
that was my guess from the beginning but it did make some point at the beginning and it's a shitpost thread so...
>>
>>366890
>>366892
>>366893
lol you mad bros? xD

:3
>>
>>366894
I'm concerned for your health.
>>
>>366894
>implying
3/10 kill yourself
>>
>>366894
pretty good
8/10
>>
File: 1447426508660.jpg (29 KB, 480x600) Image search: [Google]
1447426508660.jpg
29 KB, 480x600
>>366894
>>
>>366897
you've got to be kidding me. he made one single point right and then it wass pure bullshit. it was too obvious
>>
>>366901
He got me and the responses to him were shit too.
>>
>>366903
he replied the same shit three times. how could you not notice?
>>
File: 1441764765178.jpg (20 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
1441764765178.jpg
20 KB, 460x276
>>366363
Nobody should be a moderator because of their race or gender, niggerfaggot.
Fuck off and die.
>>
the people have spoken
>>
Prove it doesn't already.
>>
>>366808
Hiroyuki is a nigger but not all niggers are black.
>>
>>366623
Person/people of color. A politically correct term for anyone who isn't white.

People who often use it unironically will take issue with any society that has white as a "default" based on demographics or they'll take issue with things like generalizing stereotypes. However they tend to see no hint of irony in using a term that's simply a reordering of "colored people," while breaking everyone in the world down to two groups: white people and everyone else.

In other words, it's a way to describe anyone who isn't white from the POV of someone who pretends to fight for them while throwing them into a giant amorphous blob with the sole criteria of not being white.

It's the same shit you'd see from old schools of thought that ran on the idea of racial supremacy only this time framed in the opposite direction and with a shockingly high amount of shared ideas and tendencies like rampant white-men's burdens and racism colored with patronizing pity.
>>
>experiences

There's a reason anecdotal evidence is Penn Jillette's favorite snack.
>>
poc is literally just a politer way to say nonwhite but that's a totally valid category
>>
>>367970
If one of your major political contrivances is to act against the notion of supposed "white supremacy," or the perceived exceptionalism of whites then it doesn't seem entirely logical or at all consistent to employ a term that literally does the exact same thing by putting people into two camps entirely dependent on whether they're white or not, especially when the "results," of such a distinction are often used politically.
>>
>>367998
i think the point people try to make is that america and europe are largely systems set up by white people for white people and attempting to step back and analyze things "non-racially" may obfuscate an important issue they are trying to get at
>>
>>368003
While that's true, it doesn't seem to help to lump every other group together simply based on that criteria.

What an Asian-American who grows up in Seattle will experience is a world of difference compared to a fresh Guatemalan immigrant in Las Vegas.

Looking at things "non-racially," may indeed omit the full picture, but the practical applications of the term have shown that it often gets carried in the opposite direction to such an extent as to render the original meaning and use defunct.

The story, experience or realities of one ethnic/phenotypical minority is not the same as any other's simply because they both happen to be minorities or because they share a relationship to the same majority.

Nor does that distinction take into account the fact that outside the Western world whites are very much a minority with thousands of different societal structures not built or perpetuated by them, but the "POC," narrative is stretched beyond all credulous breaking points to apply to them regardless.

It also (very much like the idea of privilege actually) often get's filtered through layers of simplification and partisan viewpoints until it's wielded as little more than a political weapon; in this case setting up an Us vs Them dynamic between whites and everyone else.
>>
>>366363
Why should identity matter on an anonymous image board?
>>
>>368022
because sjw
>>
>>368022
People who wield their identity for the sake of social currency want to have that dynamic here.

Internet anonymity used to be such a default, but people are coming of age in a time where it wasn't. These days you can see two extremes in action.

Those who stress anonymity to a fault often have nothing or little to gain from their identity the basis of their actions. Those who want to see the end of it have a lot to gain from it, either with their own identities or in exposing the negatives of others.

For many people a meritocracy represents a system in which they will likely never prosper, so changing that to a system revolving around identity, something that might benefit them more, seems worthwhile.
>>
4CHAN BELONGS TO NIHON
>>
>>368030
I'VE WATCHED LIKE 500 ANIMES SO MY OPINION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOURS
>>
File: 1448578823784.webm (358 KB, 625x600) Image search: [Google]
1448578823784.webm
358 KB, 625x600
>>366840
It's sad that i cant tell if you're serious or not
Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.