[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should mods start shadowbanning people? In other words: Ban
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 5
Should mods start shadowbanning people?

In other words: Ban users without them knowing. Nobody can see what they post and to the user they'll just think that nobody is responding to them. Never tell them they're shadowbanned.

This won't stop everyone but I think it'll slow down the number of people evading bans.
>>
1. No because we're not reddit.

2. No it won't slow down the ban evasion because they'll work it out
>>
I don't think the concept of shadowbanning works as well when it's out in the open. it works better on people who aren't aware it exists.

reddit really blew it up when they started abusing it
>>
>>363451
>please turn this into reddit
Fuck off.
>>
>>363451
1. Firstly, we aren't Reddit, so fuck off.

2. You simply can't keep track on what users are banned because we don't have accounts, and keeping track on IPs is dumb.

2.5. We're not Reddit.

3. Imagine 4chan having to store every post you wrote to load it only for you. The server costs would increase like 20%.

4. Shadowbanned Anons would figure it out they are banned in like 5 minutes, specially bait posters.

5. We're not Reddit.
>>
>>363454
>>363466
>>363469

But just because reddit does it doesn't mean we shouldn't. You don't realize how little sense "no because reddit" sounds.

>>363455

Maybe we could put our own spin on it. I think if someone can not notice it for the length of a short ban, that's successful enough.

>3. Imagine 4chan having to store every post you wrote to load it only for you. The server costs would increase like 20%.

4chan wouldn't have to do that at all. Who says the posts can't be stored locally?
>>
>>363451
>hurr durr i'm retarded
shadow banning is impossible with 4chan's current software

why don't you, instead of trying to turn this into reddit, go to the actual reddit instead since you seem to love it so much?
>>
>>363476
>why don't you, instead of trying to turn this into reddit, go to the actual reddit instead since you seem to love it so much?

Shadowbans don't automatically turn 4chan into reddit. You people really need to stop shitposting this.
>>
>>363481
Yes they do

if shadowbans were possible mods would eventually start using them to silence opinions they don't like (they already do but they usually don't try to hide it), you know, like reddit mods do.
>>
>>363481
>Shadowbans don't automatically turn 4chan into reddit.
Yes, they do.
>>
>>363481
>>363485
>reddit reddit reddit

This is my first post in this thread, but I just thought someone needed to inform you how much of a shithead you sound

As someone who has never used reddit I can confidently call you a faggot.
I don't even know how often you must use that site yourself to know details about how frequently shadow banning occurs. I'd imagine that's not something you can just glean from browsing a few minutes.
and futhermore, why do you even give a fuck? I don't care how desperate all you ex-redditors are to distinguish yourself from that site, 4chan decisions should be made based on what's best for 4chan.
Trying so hard to avoid potentially useful features just because we want to be different is stupid and edgy.

That being said, I still think shadow banning is a bad idea.
>>
>>363485
So even if we don't add upvote/downvote, order comments based on points, and allow user registration, we'd be reddit because of shadow banning?

I don't even think reddit is the only place that shadow bans to begin with.
>>
>>363486

I should note that the first post you quoted is the OP, me, not the one with the irrational fear of reddit.
>>
>>363488
right, I guess I didn't mean to quote you but the person you responded to
>>
File: 1448077899697-0.jpg (648 KB, 580x5250) Image search: [Google]
1448077899697-0.jpg
648 KB, 580x5250
>>363486
What? I said "Yes" because only Reddit uses that cancerous ban system, I never browsed Reddit.
Also, shadowbanning isn't "useful for 4chan". >>363469 stated it perfectly, you simply can't keep track on anonymous users.
>>
>>363469
>and keeping track on IPs is dumb
But they do that already with normal bans. They ban you on your IP address.
>Anons would figure it out they are banned in like 5 minutes
That is 5 min less shitposting by them.
>>
>>363507
And do you really think the ban system is effective?
>>
>>363509
Well it gets rid of some of the more casual shitposters. If the person doesn't know they are banned then it becomes even more effective.
>>
>>363512
But the person WILL know he is banned. You can check an archive to see if your post is there. You'll also suspect that you're banned if you don't get replies, or if you don't get banned for off-topic shit.
>>
File: 1409868613340.png (1 MB, 3890x5000) Image search: [Google]
1409868613340.png
1 MB, 3890x5000
>ctrl+f "reddit"
>25 results
So I'm guessing reddit had a big shadowbanning scandal recently?
>>
>>363523
Makes the effort level for checking far higher than just having a ban screen and resetting your IP. Sure you could check, but only the more dedicated shitposters will actually be bothered to. If it reduces the amount of shitposting by any factor then it is a win in my book.
>>
>>363527
>literally open your phone and check the catalog

hackers on steroids level high tech stuff
>>
>>363451
This isn't Reddit. Also, shadowbanning is one of the stupidest ideas imaginable.
>>
>>363537
Still more than you have to do now. Any extra effort is better, especially if they have to keep on doing it every 5 min because they are so insecure about being banned.
>>
>>363523
Most people don't check archives to verify their post is there. This system will be effective until shadowbanning is well established and it becomes norm to check the archive if you don't see yourself getting any replies.
>>
>>363727
shadowbanning *is* well established. It got huge with the last couple reddit uprisings. the cat's out of the bag and it'll never be as effective as it was when it was still called hellbanning
>>
>>363737
On top of this, I bet there'd be a script made within hours that would automatically check the archives to see if your post is visible to others and tells you if it's not.
>>
>>363451
Putting aside the
>we arent fucking reddit you fucktard
Shadowbanning is a retarded and pathetic system. The only people who would actually this, is mods who are upset that a anon posted something he didn't like, but he's too pussy to actually use the big old hammer. Shadowbanning is retarded because 4chan isn't a fucking forum and it wouldn't work with the userbase

>b-but its to stop spamming and shitposting
You're retraded. Any system that's made for x will be used for y instead almost every time. It won't be used on shitposters, the mods will use them on people they don't like

You're a big fucking faggot who should off himself for suggesting reddit garbage, even more so since the system doesn't even fucking work there. >>>/reddit/
>>
>>363469
>3. Imagine 4chan having to store every post you wrote to load it only for you. The server costs would increase like 20%.
That's not how 4chan works. Imagine that every time someone posts a new post in that thread 4chan had to regenerate an html file for that thread just for them. And every time it updates until it dies there's one html file just for them.

Now imagine someone posts a thread on /b/ and is shadowbanned. Every time anyone posts every page has to be regenerated for the normal pages, then +10 for every shadowbanned person.

The load wouldn't increase by 20%, the load would increase exponentially. 4chan's software does not support shadowbanning not because mods don't want it to, but because it can't.

>>363475
>store it locally
Then it's not a real shadowban because it's visible on this side. Every extension would start getting shadowban warnings. And it'd be noticeable on page load.
>>
>>363748
Imagine the permanent shadowban check threads on /b/ and such.
>>
You people are all retarded as fuck

Shadow banning is impossible here on 4chan so I don't know why we're even talking about it
>>
>>363759

At most 2 people in this thread advocate it. Please read threads before jumping into it screaming "You people are all retarded as fuck" when they're all agreeing with you.
>>
>>363454
>2. No it won't slow down the ban evasion because they'll work it out
Wrong
>>
>>363475
Yeah, imagine having even more censorship on this site. That sounds awesome !

Just fuck off back to your cesspool.
>>
>>363901
>literally everything is censorship
>4chan should be anything goes!
>anything less than that is censorship!
I found the shitter everyone. I found the guy who just wants to continue to troll at all cost.
>>
>>363903
>shadowbans
>not censorship
>not abused by sensitive people in position of power
Sure thing anon. >>>/reddit/
>>
>>363907
How is it any different from an actual ban? You're just being a shitter for the sake of injecting reddit into yet another discussion.
>>
>>363475
Nigga 4chan is not reddit, unlike reddit we have post numbers.
>>
>>363908
Actual bans show up on the bans page and the poster is informed of it and its reasons when trying to post.
Shadowbans would lead to countless retarded bans because the mod got triggered and the posters would not find out about it.

Stop pretending that they're the same, nigger.
>>
>>363451
No, fuck you. Every ban should be public, with a big red USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST (REASON: [reason]) plastered on it. Go back to reddit if you want sneaky beaky Gestapo bans.
>>
Shadowbans are a cowardly method of banning that was good in concept. It was made to ban marketers and spammers but it quickly became a tool for retard mods to silence people they don't like.
>>
>>363913
Neither allow the person to have posts seen so how is one "censorship".

Again, I have no issue with you disagreeing with OP's notion, but stop calling it censorship and learn what words mean.
>>
>>363921
One leads to a visible ban for all to see and the other leads to just that one mod and one user knowing.
If regular bans being used to censor are gags, shadowbans are gags and handcuffs.

It's fucking censorship of the worst kind and niggers like you don't belong here.
>>
>>363933
Not every ban ends up on the page.

What are we doing here? At least know how the site works, fucking hell.
>>
>>363935
We are here telling OP that he is a massive faggot for suggesting something this stupid.
>>
ITT mad shitposters because they won't be able to shit up their home boards anymore
>>
>>363908
>How is it any different from an actual ban?
Because a ban is telling someone they fucked up and they are a retard for doing so. A shadow ban is pushing someone under the rug and pretending they aren't there
>>
ITT: faggots like >>363940 who want 4chan tomturn into Reddit 2.0.
>>
>>364008
*to turn into
>>
>>363981
Absolute shitters who live to trash their respective board deserve a more annoying punishment.
>>
>>363454
>>363466
>>363469
>4chan isn't reddit
This hasn't been true for years.
>>
No fuck off, shadowbans are down low dirty shit and just asking for mods to abuse power without having to answer for it
>>
>>363910
Doesn't sound very hard to simulate post numbers and make it look like you're adding to it. Most people aren't going to notice.
>>
File: 1424173186140.jpg (97 KB, 448x450) Image search: [Google]
1424173186140.jpg
97 KB, 448x450
>>365488
I noticed those dubs.
>>
>shadow-banning

I am sincerely saying this: Go back to reddit.
>>
Because Reddit isn't a real argument. However, I wouldn't trust our mods to use this correctly.
>>
It's a pretty under-handed and dirty moderating technique, but on the other hand it would be hilarious to use it on things like spamming attention-whoring furfaggots.
>>
File: 468.jpg (32 KB, 300x415) Image search: [Google]
468.jpg
32 KB, 300x415
Chiming in to say >>>/reddit/
>>
>>366488

I am sincerely saying this: stop posting this meme.
>>
Tripfags deserve to be shadowbanned
>>
>waah reddit
Shadowbans/silentbans/evilmutes have been around way before Reddit even came into existence.

>I think it'll slow down the number of people evading bans.
As someone who once rampantly evaded bans on an IRC which utilized shadowbans, I can assure you it will. In fact, it will work even better on 4chan than anywhere else, simply because this website doesn't have a private message function, which was the easiest way of identifying whether you were shadowbanned or not, bulk PM spamming random users who don't know who you are. If you get a reply, you know you're not shadowbanned, and someone will always definitely reply.

>>363476
>shadow banning is impossible with 4chan's current software
If you have no idea how programming works, do not voice your opinion on it, thank you.

It's as easy as giving an IP a "shadowbanned user" status, meaning any post they make can only be seen by other shadowbanned and regularly banned users.

Basically, any shadowbammed user making a post gets automatically filtered by anyone who isn't shadowbanned
>>
>>363504
The logic in that image isn't exactly wrong.
>>
>>363523
I don't get banned for off topic shit to begin with even though I post it all the time, unless it's Undertale. And even then it's usually just a warning from some nerd with a stick up his ass.
>>
>>363523
Shadowban the archive bots. Problem solved.
>>
>>368313
Shit, that's actually a good idea. AND you have a tripcode. I think we should just make everyone use a tripcode, in your honor.
>>
>>368313
Can you make yourself look even more stupid? How would that stop people from knowing they are shadow banned? If one bot gets banned, you set up another. If its required, anons themselves will set up public bots to do it

Shadow bans as a concept is retarded anyone and only pathetic passive aggressive faggots would use it. Not just that, the system is incredibly flawed. Not just is it simple to find out you've been shadow banned, its incredibly simple to code a bot to find out they are and then to bypass it. Making the entire point of its existence pointless
>>
>>368328
Woah lad. You seem genuinely angry at the concept of shadow banned. Can't post in /r/mlp anymore?

>How would that stop people from knowing they are shadow banned?
There's only so many archive websites, and every website only has one crawler with one IP, because they don't need more. Shadowbanning them also is no harm, because they don't post, only read.

>its incredibly simple to code a bot to find out
Nope, unless you use a proxy, and most proxy/vpn servers are already banned. Only Hulu is somewhat useful but using Hulu is grounds for getting vanned.
>>
>>368336
I think your the one who should go back to reddit, shitbrains

> because they don't need more
Holy shit! Congrats on fucking proving my point. The instant you add shadow banning, is the instant they make more crawlers. Even if they don't, anons will as a public service. If there is a need, someone WILL fill it

>Nope, unless you use a proxy, and most proxy/vpn servers are already banned
Doesn't mean they are all banned. And people can get real fucking creative. Fuck, if proxy's don't work, they'll set the bot up to auto restart their modem once they are shadow banned

I'm not upset at shadow bans, but, only retards would defend them
>>
>>368339
The archives wouldn't need to make more archives. Because they only read, not post. If they're shadowbanned, it doesn't change how well they work. In fact, they're more likely to avoid evading the shadowban because it'd mean having most posts archived, which is the point of their websites. Can you into common sense, my lad?

>only retards would defend them
Why? It undeniably makes it more time consuming for a ban evader to evade his ban. This alone is reason enough to implement it.

The only reason you wouldn't be in favor of it is if you're a ban evader yourself who can't into programming.

Give one real reason why having shadowbans on 4chan would be bad. I'll wait, Taiga.
>>
>>368341
>The archives wouldn't need to make more archives
That's not the point fuckface. If you implemented shadowbanning, they'd update to allow you to check if you have been., because, your post wouldn't show up on it. If you set it up to allow shadowbanned people to see other shadowbanned posts, they'll just intentionally get the bot shadowbanned and then set-up a none shadowbanned bot and set the system up to tag shadowbanned posts. 3rd party add-ons would then add in the feature to check every post you make if your shadowbanned. Congrats, a completely pointless feature

>Give one real reason why having shadowbans on 4chan would be bad
How about you give a good reason why it should be added. Shadowbans are incredibly easy to detect and within a week of them being added, people will know about them and have developed shit to detect them and the 3rd addons would of incorporate those features. Congrats, again, the feature is no different than a normal ban. Evading it would be no more than reset your IP, just like a normal ban. Spamming is almost non-existent with the captcha, most shitposters already reset their modems after a set amount of time anyway, so even if it wasn't detectable, the majority would bypass it naturally. What does that leave for the point of shadowbans? For mods to passively aggressively ban people they don't like. It's a useless system only retards would support. The system would never be used to stop spam and shitposters in the first place and if it was unavoidable and undetectable it would be used for the mods to simply shut down people they don't like. Just like fucking reddit

Fuck off and kill yourself you stupid attention whoring retard tripfag. You guys would be the first to be shadowbanned anyway
>>
>>363451
No, shadow banning is just a cowardly way to deal with someone the mods don't like without giving them reason.

As an user, I am supposed to know why I have been banned and how long I will be unable to post. Knowing the reason will also help me to understand what kind of posts are forbidden, thus I will be able to avoid making them in future

Not to mention we don't have actual accounts here, so what would you shadow ban? IPs? After a few minutes you would notice it and just change it.
>>
>>368354
>they'd update to allow you to check if you have been
They have no reason to because the archives only need to read, which they are still capable of when shadowbanned.

>your post wouldn't show up on it
Already posted the solution to this here (>>368174), everyone's happy.

>they'll just intentionally get the bot shadowbanned and then set-up a none shadowbanned bot
It'd take 3 seconds to shadowban the new bot, and 2 hours to program a function that automatically shadowbans a crawler because a crawler visit every single page on the website, creating inhumanly high traffic, which can be very easily identified through data.

>how about you give a good reason why it should be added
Already did.

>It undeniably makes it more time consuming for a ban evader to evade his ban.
>Archives only read, not post. If they're shadowbanned, it doesn't change how well they work

>Shadowbans are incredibly easy to detect and within a week of them being added
Not if you're good at programming.

>simply shut down the people they don't like
Mods don't operate like this, laddie. As a moderator on any website, you enforce the rules. If they don't like someone (as evidently by them punishing the person), it's because the person is breaking rules, and thus rightfully deserves it and should take the hint by getting off the site in general.

You're falling into repetition. I don't even think you're even reading my posts at this point. All you're doing is throwing around insults. You are incredibly immature, lad.

>>368366
Shadowbans are a measurement against ban evaders. They're not a regular banning initiative. That said, it's only for those who are permbanned, so there's no need for knowledge of ban duration. If you just sit out any bans you get, you would never get shadowbanned.

>after a few minutes you would notice it and just change it
And there's where you're wrong.
>>
>>368371
> >after a few minutes you would notice it and just change it
> And there's where you're wrong.
How? After a while you would notice no one is replying to your baits and if you lurk enough you will also learn about shadow banning, at this point you just evade the ban again
>>
>>368371
>They have no reason to because the archives only need to read,
Because they are providing a public service and are the most available to set up something for detection

>everyone's happy.
No one is happy

>It'd take 3 seconds to shadowban the new bot, and 2 hours to program a function that automatically shadowbans a crawler because a crawler visit every single page on the website, creating inhumanly high traffic, which can be very easily identified through data.
And again, you're retarded. It's like the only thing you can do is think in black and white and lack any form of creativity. Why would the bot for shadow detection run ona single ip? Why would it be trying to parse the posts instead of just looking for contents that prove shadowingbanning. Why would it have to be constantly scanning? Why would it scan everything at once? Why would it run on a single server and why would there be only one? Why can't a few dozen anons work together and build something for this? Banning shit doesn't fucking work, if it did, shit like fucking batoto wouldnt have problems with scapper bots. Your trying to make something companys pay money to fucking try and have people figure out a way to solve so easy. If the archive owner won't do it, anons will build a entire server build around do it and it'll bypass every piece of security thats set-up, regardless of the amount of times it gets banned. I hope you aren't a programmer, because you lack any form of fucking creativity and problem solving skills

>Mods don't operate like this, laddie
They do. 4chan mods do whatever they want normally and are known for banning people they don't like, even publicly. Not just that, they are allowed to do that

>All you're doing is throwing around insults. You are incredibly immature, lad.
Maturity has nothing to do with this, fuckface

Seriously, you should fuck back off to reddit, because its where you probably fucking came from. ALL your posts scream it and you clearly don't belong here
>>
>>368373
>after a while
That's the point. It'll take a person multiple minutes before they realize they've been banned, or they'll simply get bored because they aren't receiving replies. In the most unfortunate case, which is the first, you still hold them off for a few hundred times longer than usual.

>>368379
>Because they are providing a public service and are the most available to set up something for detection
Yes, archiving, not shadowban detection. Again, even if someone would create a service to detect shadowbans, it would still be automatically detectable by 4chan itself and subsequently shadowbanned as well.

>No one is happy
Only you, who are most likely a ban evader, along with other ban evaders who still can't formulate a single reason why having shadowbans is a bad thing.

What goes around, comes around. There is an equal strength of breaking security compared to reinforcing security. It's just an everlasting cycle. If shadowbans get "hacked", then it isn't impossible to create more security measurements to combat this change.

>you lack solving skills
>coming from the person who claims there is no solution
Heh.

>4chan mods do whatever they want
Nope. I remember a janitor on /vg/ who tried doing whatever he wanted, banning posters for any mention of Reddit. This went on for a few weeks, after that it never happened again. 4chan's staff has a just infrastructure. Trying to apply feelings and opinions to your judgement is definitely not allowed.

>Maturity has nothing to do with this
Random insults are the lowest form of argumentation, and reserved for those who don't have the mental capacity of formulation normal arguments. If you're capable of it, then you don't have any reason to resort to insults. If you're too lazy, then there's no reason to post either, and are still very much mentally incapable, because still resorting to insults due to laziness indicates the same conclusion; you're immature.

>reddit boogeyman
Last resort buzzwording, eh?
>>
>>368422
> >after a while
> That's the point. It'll take a person multiple minutes before they realize they've been banned, or they'll simply get bored because they aren't receiving replies. In the most unfortunate case, which is the first, you still hold them off for a few hundred times longer than usual.

Doesn't sound like a good reason to give the mods such "powers", since it will of course be abused by them
>>
>>368437
Just like the military has military police, the moderators have admins. If someone unjustly uses the shadowban feature, it will be dealt with, so if anything, a victim of abuse will get more out of it (which is likely going to be stripping of one's mod position, and with that ability to shadowban). What more could you even ask for?
>>
>>368443
I don't browse reddit so I am not sure about this...
But isn't the whole point of shadow banning making sure the "victim" can't appeal to it since it's supposed to not know about and why they're being banned?
And no, I am not asking why it was implemented on reddit
>>
>>368422
>Yes, archiving, not shadowban detection.
And they can easily do shadowban detection and they most likely would

>Only you, who are most likely a ban evader, along with other ban evaders who still can't formulate a single reason why having shadowbans is a bad thing.
Unfortunately for you, I don't shitpost and [spoiler]am on a static ip[/spoiler]. I have also given tons of reasons why its bad

>>coming from the person who claims there is no solution
What do you even fucking mean by this? I gave you shit tons of ways to bypass it. Making a scrapper that fucking appears to be a fucking user isn't that hard and would be nigh impossible to detect unless you are willing to ban a insane amount of innocent users. For starters, the 4chan dev does it for fucking free and isn't going to waste days a week to update a detection algorithm thats going to be broken within a few hours by anons

>Random insults are the lowest form of argumentation, and reserved for those who don't have the mental capacity of formulation normal arguments. If you're capable of it, then you don't have any reason to resort to insults. If you're too lazy, then there's no reason to post either, and are still very much mentally incapable, because still resorting to insults due to laziness indicates the same conclusion; you're immature.
I'm not sorry that I'm hurting your feelings faggot. If you want that nice environment, fuck back off to reddit. If you had actually lurked you'd realize that people are incredibly aggressive here and if you say something someone thinks is actually retarded, they aren't going to be nice and give you a polite debate, you stupid nigger. It isn't immature, you are just a soft cock faggot who can't deal with the fact people actually called you out for being retarded. I've been doing this for almost a decade, I'm not stopping now

>>368446
>"victim" can't appeal to it since it's supposed to not know about and why they're being banned?
Yes, thats the exactly point of it
>>
>>368446
Yes, that's the point, that's why it's reserved for extreme cases; people who know exactly why they're banned, and know they should be banned, which would be cheaters, exploiters and ban evaders. Cheaters aren't a thing on boards/forums, text based exploits are extremely rare, so that just leaves us with the massive amount of ban evaders. You really have nothing to worry about regarding being shadowbanned if you don't do any of these extremely interruptive things.

>>368448
>and they can easily do shadowban detection
We'll see, if it happens. If they can, there will be ways to combat it in terms of security. Again, endless cycle.

>I have also given tons of reasons why it's bad
I haven't seen a single one reason, except "it doesn't work", when it's not even meant to be an effort to put a permanent stop to ban evaders. It's just supposed to slow them down.
Point me towards other reasons if I missed them.

>the 4chan dev does it for free
If you're a hobbyist programmer, it doesn't really matter if someone is going to break it. In fact, it's good, because it means you can continue working and improving on it.

>I'm not sorry I'm hurting your feelings
You're not hurting my feelings. I'm just not taking you very serious when you behave like this.

>people are incredibly aggressive here
That's actually just the /b/tard rejects and Redditor/Facebook tourists who view 4chan as a gigantic /b/, because /b/ is 4chan's posterchild. Outsiders tend to adopt that view and apply it to the rest of the website, sadly. You're not behaving like you should, at all.

>I'm not stopping now
You'd probably be taken serious more often if you would, and people might not considering you this immature.
>>
>>368466
> You really have nothing to worry about regarding being shadowbanned if you don't do any of these extremely interruptive things.
Are you implying mods are always 100% objective and they never abuse their powers?
>>
>>368468
No, there are a few odd cases. I've only been victim to one for a prolonged period of time (about 2 weeks), and he was never heard of again. If this happens to you, you can always appeal your ban by email once the culprit has been dealt with.

This is talking about a single incident in over 5 years or so, which is about as far back as I can remember when dealing with moderation and the like. It's absolutely nothing to worry about.
>>
>>368466
Look shit for brains, shadow banning as a concept is retarded. You are pushing people under the rug and saying FUCK YOU without even telling them. This sort of system doesn't stop shitposters or spammers. Regardless of how much you delude yourself, its incredibly easy to detect. The point of shadowbanning is to hide your post from others, so you only need a single fucking server which people jack their post or post number into, and it detects if it can be found on multiple ips. This then gets put into 3rdparty extensions as either click a button detection or a always detect on post. Shadow banning won't stop people for even 3 fucking seconds.

Shadowbanning is a pathetic and dishonest system. The only people who would support that sort of shit are people who want to shut out people but are too pussy to deal with the consequences of banning people. The mods quite regularly ban shit they don't like. They are anons just like everyone else. They enforce the rules, but they also sometimes ban people because they don't like them, whether its serious or as a joke. Shit like shadow banning only fuels the desire to do so

Shitflinging also is done by fucking everyone, not just newfags and its been like that for a long time. It fucking comes with anon culture, as it results in people having incredibly loose tongues. And you are the first person to consider the shit I do immature, besides actual obvious fucking reddiors, because most people do the fucking same. It's not immature to fling around insults, even more so when people don't give a fuck and will do it in return if you do it. You are the immature one for making a fucking deal over it. The only people who get upset over that shit are newfags or redditors. This is not a debate or argument either, you said something retarded so I'm calling you out on it and a retard at the same time
>>
>>363451
NO
>>
>>368174
>If you have no idea how programming works, do not voice your opinion on it, thank you.
Which is why you shouldn't be opening your mouth mate. 4chan's software doesn't support shadowbanning. Every page you use isn't generated for you, it's generated when a new post is made.
>>
>>368466
>Again, endless cycle.

The archives will always win at the end, though..

>>368496
>It's not immature to fling around insults, even more so when people don't give a fuck and will do it in return if you do it. You are the immature one for making a fucking deal over it.

This. If anything he's the most condescending one in this thread, and extremely fedora.

>>368470
>This is talking about a single incident in over 5 years or so

That's completely irrelevant. From what I've been hearing, e-mails aren't even read or responded to as much as they used to. Have you heard any accounts of moderator abuse around the site?
>>
>>363451
Good idea. Let's start with faggots like you.
>>
>>368867
>Have you heard any accounts of moderator abuse around the site?
basically everybody who gets their posts deleted or banned is unhappy about the mods
>>
>>368443
>MPs accomplishing anything
Jesus Christ, you don't know anything, do you?
>>
>>368915

And thus anyone who criticizes the moderation are merely grumpy about being banned? I can't believe people are still going around saying this.
>>
>get shadowbanned
>get suspicious that you're shadowbanned
>go check the numerous 4chan archives
>if your post isn't there you're shadowbanned

also people will notice that post numbers are skipped
>>
>>368915
Actually years ago i was never afraid to be banned because i knew 4chan was pretty lenient when it comes to that but 2015 is probably the first year where i've been legitimately scared to get banned for no reason.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.