[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Discussion formats
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 0.jpg (58 KB, 499x485) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
58 KB, 499x485
What do you guys think is the best format for online discussion?

What do you think about the nested discussion format? (Please don't argue over reddit, since I'm talking about time ordered posts, not vote based, and I've never even used that site)

I always disliked the concept of nesting, but now I'm thinking it could have some benefits toward keeping threads on topic and making it easier for people to find areas of discussion they like, rather than jumping into arguments about things they dislike. But I'm not sure.

Any other discussion formats you can think of are welcome.
This is just for theoretical purposes so please treat everyones ideas with respect.
>>
Nobody has any thoughts on this?
>>
>>361691
No.
>>
>>360989
Just use 4chanx if you want quote threading.
>>
>>361698
That's not what the thread is about at all.

I'm just curious what peoples thoughts are on what works the best. I'm not asking to change anything
>>
4chanX's hovering quotes/quote inlining on demand is the best system

Fuck off with your Leddit clusterfuck
>>
>>361700
You get no real benefit from nesting by default other than it can save clicking. You get the same effect by just clicking on the replies on a post as it expands out the conversation.
Prefer things ads they are as it gives more choice with being able to browse normally or expand out replies when I see an interesting comment. Also the Reddit system looks a mess in comparison.
>>
>>361703
>Fuck off with your Leddit clusterfuck
Please read the thread. I've never used that site and this is supposed to just be a theoretical discussion on what works best.

I'd ask you to elaborate on your opinion but I get the feeling you'll just throw a fit and more accusations for no reason.
>>
>>361707
Thanks that's helpful. You don't think it prevents thread derailment since long arguments won't be the first thing you see when joining a thread since they'd be nested off somewhere?

I've never used a site that had nesting comments by default, so I'm relying on other peoples experiences
>>
>>361708
It's simply an ugly, hard to follow format that makes it harder to discuss with multiple people in the same thread and encourages circlejerk and one-on-one talks than real discussion with everybody.
>>
>>361715
>You don't think it prevents thread derailment
Can be sometimes the best thing and the worst thing, since sometimes get some real nice threads out of derailed threads. Not that it matters, as if someone wants to shitpost then they will go ahead and do their best to shit up a thread drawing others to shit up a thread. Which at that point you may as well just turn on filters instead of comment chains.
>>
>>361716
>>361719
Alright, I guess linear is better then.

Are there any other formats? The only 2 I can think of are linear, and nested
>>
>>361727
>Are there any other formats?
Not as far as I know. Only other things you could really do is just change the order from oldest to newest first which would't work well here at all.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.