[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Trolling was an art. But it was still a piece of shit cancer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4
File: lKaicvA[1].jpg (220 KB, 3000x3000) Image search: [Google]
lKaicvA[1].jpg
220 KB, 3000x3000
Trolling was an art. But it was still a piece of shit cancer that had to go, which I think became more apparent with Reddit's adoption of it.

So people started pointing out trollposts with "This is bait" to prevent people shitting up threads with wasted posts replying to it.

And what happened? Trolls took it as a challenge & have devolved into posting the most insignificantly mundane shit just to get a (You). So insignificant that it easily passes under trolldars as being just a typo or bad English. So mundane that lots of people would notice it. They started trolling for quantity as opposed to quantity.

I'm just ranting, but I still think it's an issue with 4chan's quality & needs some brainstorming.
>>
>>355754
>tripcode
stopped reading there
>>
>>355756
Just in case you are not trolling (I will be responding to every post in this thread whether clearly a troll or not), tripfags are those who use tripcodes constantly just for the sake of individuality on an anonymous image board.

I'm using it as intended; to temporarily identify myself in this specific thread for the sake of preventing trolls calling themselves OP.
>>
>>355763
That almost never happens
>>
>>355775
OP here, it totally does.
>>
>>355778
Stop being a fag, I'm OP and yes, it always happens.
>>
>>355778
>>355779
Fuck off both of you, I'm OP and I just want you to know that I love sucking dicks.
>>
>>355754
I make as many posts an hour as I can for attention and recognition.
>>
>>355754
>quantity as opposed to quantity
>>
OP claiming ID
>>
>>355784
Just to make sure, is there a tripfag that uses the same name I have up there? I know it's not creative so I wouldn't be surprised if there was.
>>
>>355754

*trolling was a art
>>
>>355790
>the most insignificantly mundane shit
Case in point.
>>
>>355793

newfag
>>
>>355763
>I'm using it as intended; to temporarily identify myself in this specific thread for the sake of preventing trolls calling themselves OP.
That next to never happens, you attention whoring piece of shit. Kill yourself
>>
>>355794
read >>355763
>I will be responding to every post in this thread whether clearly a troll or not

>>355797
See
>>355778
>>355779
>>355783
Also
>next to never
And what's wrong with me taking that precaution?
>>
The fact that 4chan is much larger, more accessible and more popular than it has ever been means that the population of people that will "take the bait" is also larger than ever before.
So why would you take your precious time to be an artisan troll or whatever when it's so easy to spot what types of posts get guaranteed replies and just copy them (sometimes verbatim).
Add to the fact that "trolls" apparently take the bait because they know that taking the bait itself gets guaranteed replies and you get this mess that OP does not like.

It's pretty much become like a game to modern trolls, kind of like farming for likes on facebook, or making up a sob story on reddit that sends your post to #1 on the front page.

Just my own ramblings.
>>
>>355798
Anon, if this some sort of attempt to 'troll', it's not working and is incredibly low effort

No one ever gives a fuck who OP is except on the rare occasion where his identity actually hold importance. >>>/reddit/ sounds like a place that you would fit in better
>>
>>355801
It's an effect of all the bullshit 4chan was against in the first place, it's not something we can fix anymore I think.

In which case can I ask if there is a place even a little more like old 4chan?

>>355803
I'm being full-blown serious here. If this thread were to turn into something actually helpful, would you want a random troll to notice it & shit things up? Even if nobody believed he was OP, he'd attract more trollOPs & that would just make the thread a mess.
>>
>>355810
>would you want a random troll to notice it & shit things up? Even if nobody believed he was OP, he'd attract more trollOPs & that would just make the thread a mess.
No, I think you've spent too much time on /b/. No one gives a fuck about OP, and if someone showed up claiming to be OP, they would ignored, because no one gives a fuck, you attention whore. The only time people care is if OPs identity has importance and even then anons won't easily make that mistake, because anyone who has been here for a few years can easily differentiate between posting styles

>he'd attract more trollOPs & that would just make the thread a mess.
It doesn't, stop fucking posting and fucking lurk moar faggot
>>
>>355816
And why are you posting then?
>>
>>355828
He thinks he's an epic troll
>>
>>355836
I'm not surprised, when casuals see an easy target they don't just ignore it looking for something more challenging.
>>
It sounds like you're blaming the people trolling/shitposting, while the logic of your post implies that it's the people who take the low quality bait that are the problem not the ones posting it.
>>
>>355828
Because you're a faggot
>>
>>355798
As one of the people who was pretend samefagging, I hope you appreciated me helping you to illustrate your point rather than finding it an annoyance. You made a pretty reasonable point and were getting shit on for "muh tripfag" so I thought it was the least I could do.
>>
>>355844
It's both actually, & while I tend to mostly just lurk, I admit I was baited by someone pretending arguing that a specific incorrect grammar was right. If every lurker was baited once, that would account for all the trolls getting off on the (You)'s flowing in.

>>355848
I am indeed a faggot.

>>355853
I know what you were doing Anon (and other Anons), & it made me smile. Sure others claiming to be OP doesn't happen often these days, but then again with most threads it wouldn't matter. It may not even matter with this thread, I just didn't want to take the risk in the event that something good came out of it.
>>
>>355869
>But it was still a piece of shit cancer that had to go
No cultural shift will ever get rid of that, and it will always find its way into any internet community of significant size. That's always been true.
If you really want to avoid it the best you can hope for is either a small community (and jump ship to find a new one when it gets too big) or a larger community with very rigid rules and mods who rule with an iron fist.

Personally I think the only reason "troll quality" has degraded is just due to the speed of the site. Depending on the board there's a higher percentage of your posts that will be ignored, so the effort to reward ratio of coming up with something interesting isn't worth it. It's easier for them to just fixate on a few simple things that set people off, and repeat it ad nauseam.

Moot mentioned at one point that this place basically feels like a chatroom now due to the speed, but in the past it was more like a forum. (I wonder if the auto-updater is a major cause of that)
and with forum-like speeds people are more likely to read a longer post, and you're more likely to feel like you have the time to construct longer posts, so everything was naturally higher quality including trolling.
>>
>making people act retarded
>an art
>>
>>355892
>>
>>355881
After reading your post, I was going to propose increasing the maximum number of threads per board to give slow threads more time, but all I see that resulting in is a larger quantity of threads filled with shitposting & bait. I can't be certain of course, it may help in the long run.

Another idea that dawned on me is to raise the minimum time between posts, at least on faster boards.

But I fear you're right to say that there's no stopping trolling. I'd like to think of any other meme that may have been intentionally decommissioned via subterfuge or getting the masses to see it in a different light, but I can't think of one at the moment.

>>355892
It was a reference to one of the oldest baits in the book, modified to further bait people like >>355790 who I'm certain was been baiting himself, to prove my point.

>>355894
Nice job cleaning that up, but you missed a bit between her hair on the right.
>>
>>355900
well one idea, that I sort of mentioned, could be to get rid of the auto-updater.

I'm so used to it now that it sounds painful, but I think it could work if the thread watcher was given more attention.
Perhaps a full page display for the thread watcher, with refresh buttons on each thread (and a refresh all button somewhere), and some organization options (like drag and drop the threads to shuffle them around)
that might lower posting speeds while also not feeling too annoying.
>>
>>355910
I noticed you mentioned the auto-updater & regret to say that I kinda dismissed it because there's an extension for Firefox people can use that will auto-refresh a webpage every set interval.

I say "regret" because on second thought, removing auto-update may help indeed. It would turn off lots of the useless posters from visiting the site. Even if one of them tries to spread the word about the FF extension, there may be a large chunk of them gone already, & he couldn't exactly have it stickied so it would reduce future faggots from sticking with 4chan as well.
>>
>>355915
Auto-update is off by default already
>>
>>355928
Yeah but we're saying remove it completely.
>>
>>355801
>The fact that 4chan is much larger, more accessible and more popular
And this is exactly the problem. For starters, the native extension should be disabled by default to make navigation harder. This alone would get rid of a lot of normalshits.
>>
trolling is protected imageboard meme culture
fuck off
>>
>>355987
>board culture
This doesn't exist.
>>
>>355994
Thank you.
>>
>>355987
This is the real problem right here. Trolling isn't culture, it's counter culture. It seems most of 4chan these days has forgotten that.
>>
Trolling has become a weed.
>>
>>355801
>>355976
Also to add to the accessibility thing, has anyone considered that it's easier to reply to a post than to report it?
I get the feeling that a lot of the silent/timid majority does not know that there is a report button behind the blue triangle or behind the three blue squares on the mobile view.
Educating people on how to actually use 4chan correctly and/or moving the report button into a more prominent location may remedy this.

I know this is a really small detail, but when you're dealing with a site as large as 4chan, it can have a pretty big effect.
>>
>>356100
>it's easier to reply to a post than to report it
This, so many times this! In my case, I can't count the number of times actually I clicked report only to get turned off from it when I faced the Captcha. I'm assuming it was placed there because there's a history of people abusing it, but when there are so many posts you want to report, it becomes a real pain in the ass.

Hiro & mods should start a campaign against trolls, announce that they are focusing on enforcing global rule #3, & place a visible report button (pic related) instead of hiding them behind a menu, & remove the Captcha temporarily to gauge whether or not it's being abused.

And I may be going a little far with this, but perhaps a reward scheme for successful reports should be implemented. On the report page, have an optional textbox for a user-defined key (or a tripcode, but I fear that may encourage tripfagging), which gets recorded, along with how many successful reports the specific key-user has made relative to total reports. When the number of successful reports hits a certain number, & the ratio of success vs failed reports is say 0.8, said user gets a 4chan pass for say a month.

The reward scheme can help with encouraging people to pay for the 4chan pass as well, if only slightly.
>>
>>356478
Your idea, although 100% technically possible, seems a bit over engineered in my opinion.
(Small side note: big problems with big solutions often lead to bigger problems.)

My solution for this whole thing would be having a clearly visible report button on both desktop and mobile (mobile is very important), and making so that the report window is inline rather than in another window/tab.

Next would be making a clearer, better designed rules page.
Compare the 4chan rules page to other popular website's content guidelines/rules and you'll see.
(can't link because spam filter)

Finally, to reiterate my last point, education.
People need to know what exactly makes a rulebreaking post, otherwise the "false reports get bans" message in the report window will scare people away.
I'm certain that if more people understood the concept of "avataring," there would be a lot less comments that say "go back to /a/" because they know that that post is actually against the rules and would report it otherwise.
Not exactly sure how education can be tackled, but I suppose if the rules page is well designed and advertised, the problem should solve itself...
>>
>>355754

shitposting always was here, and always had as much to do with quantity.

fuck, spamming desu is as old as the hills. Cut/uncut threads, racebait, the list goes on. Shit-trolling is an intrinsic part of 4chan's culture, as any true oldfag should know
>>
>>357592
0/10
>>
Trolling used to be significantly more obvious as well. But then retards of the same calibre as the trolls flooded in (the rise of reddit) and people took advantage using reverse trolling.

This new mentality: Everything is bait, was a fairly inevitable consequence. Further perpetuated by the fact that some boards like to grab on to a shitty meme and run it to the ground a la reddit. Breaking this mentality is the first barrier to actually getting rid of bad posters.
>>
>>356478
why are you using a trip?
I am skeptical of anyone who goes on about enforcing gr3 as it usually signals someone who is not used to the way things have historically operated on 4chan.

Passes are not meant to be incentive nor should there be any kind of "point tracking" system implemented which revolves around rewarding users for regulating content. This only serves to increase the queue of reports that have to be processed, not because people are trying to regulate shit, but because they are after dat free pass. paying people $20 to excessively report sounds like a bad idea, even if your system does revolve around "successful reports".

>>357418
this anon is closer to a realistic solution. I think 4chan could benefit from some minor tweaks to design. making the rule page more visible and more responsive wouldn't hurt.
>>
>>356478
this is fucking stupid, you're stupid and you need to go to a different website
>>
>>357906
Yeah I agree that >>357418 is a more applicable & practical solution. As for the trip, you should read the first few replies.

And regarding how 4chan historically operated, and this is in response to >>357592 as well, I believe >>357739 has stated a most concise response.

>spamming desu is as old as the hills. Cut/uncut threads, racebait
Sure they were normal on /b/ & tended to happen on different boards as well, but we're talking about all boards aside from /b/. /b/ is the exception in global rule #3. Besides, those old ones were quality trolling, seeing how riled up that one guy can get over silly matters while everyone points and laughs. Neo-trolling is all about getting as many replies no matter the subject, it isn't worth any attention when someone does get trolled except to the troll himself, & it happens across all boards. It's literally mass-produced clickbait.

>>358479
I wish, oh I wish, but you know what they say, once you're here...
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.