[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/v/ Discussion Thread - /v/ needs changes to improve the board
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 1443942841669.png (8 KB, 420x340) Image search: [Google]
1443942841669.png
8 KB, 420x340
/v/'s primary problems at the moment are shitposting (including falseflagging) and low-quality posts. Despite several anons thinking otherwise, /v/'s cancer is not terminal. Quality discussion on /v/ is not impossible or even necessarily improbable, because there are still plenty of good persistent threads that exist (MMBN, vidya buyfag, Armored Core, V:TM, etc.), but you have to wade through shitty posts in order to find them.
A big increase in moderation (and maybe things like increased ban lengths) is an absolute necessity for the board to improve, but it's the second fastest board on the site now and a significant margin faster than the next fastest board, so with the current number of mods - especially the mediocre-to-shit ones that cover /v/ - it is difficult to moderate(and it is difficult to get a bunch of good new moderators). /v/ is most frequently the board with the largest number of bannings visible in the periodic bans list and it's still full of shitposts.
Several types of threads like "What video game has/lets me do X (X = something involving the actual thread topic)" which are thinly-veiled off-topic threads that would only fit on a blue /b/ (even if they do sometimes contain okay discussion), useless copy-paste repeated threads, and persistent shitpost threads (threads with little to no content in the OP but some bait for shitposting, or things like smut images) from a few persistent shitposters are a plague.
IDs wouldn't accomplish anything as they don't do anything to get rid of shitposts and low-quality posts and they don't even prevent samefagging because they're too easy to circumvent, and several dedicated shitposters already circumvent bans.
>>
(cont.)
Since a significant portion of that board seems to be incapable of self-regulating by hiding, filtering, and reporting (again, perhaps the board is simply too big at this point, there are still plenty of people who do so, and I don't think a large number of users even know the catalog exists), increasing moderation to drive out large numbers of terrible posters out like the ones who only use ghetto Twitter vernacular then just shitpost and nothing else is the best solution.
Splitting part of /v/ again to something like /vc/ - Video Game Culture (because people only watching others play games and the 'culture' behind games in general is now a huge thing instead of actually playing games)that would cover things like Twitch daily coverage (not events like E3, those should stay), e-celebs, media/game "journalism" discussion and the like while good topical things like buyfag threads, FFFRIDAY NIGHT and gamer fuel threads still stay, or creating a blue random board (/bb/ or something of the sort) to stop crossposters trying to use the second fastest board as a dumping ground for discussion may be needed, but increased moderation is needed no matter what.
>>
Splitting /v/ into /v/ - Eastern Video Games and /wv/ - Western Video Games or something along those lines is an extremely bad idea and it would be like splitting /a/ into /a/ - Anime and /ma/ - Manga in that the board would be ruined. (I've seen posts calling for that before and I'm sure others of you have too- posts like that miss the point of grouping those intertwined industries like grouping games regardless of country origin.)
>lol who cares about /v/ it's for kiddies and a useless board :^^^)
/v/ has never been the board I spend most of my time on (I think the concept of a "main board" is silly and participate in multiple boards) and I haven't posted there in a very long time, but I still lurk there on occasion and it's somewhat sad to see the state it's in when it could be much better, and the main obstacles are lack of moderation and self-regulating making it easier to shitpost (there is a fair amount of self-regulation, but not enough compared to the number of users that don't). Please note that self-regulating your own board experience as I discussed previously in this post is not the same concept as self-moderation.
>>
Holy shit tl;dr
Learn to use line breaks.
>>
Now that moot is gone and we have a new admin who actually listens somewhat to the users instead of letting things fester and doing nothing except hiring shit mods, we can have actual positive changes, and /v/ is one of the boards that needs changes the most (arguably THE board).
In addition to these points, regardless of your opinion on /v/, it is not a containment board.
Video games are a massive discussion topic so you can't ignore it like another smaller board topic, and letting /v/ stay the way it is now (prone to floods of shitposts) is just waiting for another incident like GG to happen, and those affect the entire site for the worse, something Nishimura would not want to happen because of him wanting to monetize the site even though he's dealt with more serious incidents in the past.
Please bring up other ways /v/ could be improved. I know Hiroyuki wanted /v/ to talk about it directly, but this topic can't really be discussed on /v/ in a civil manner anymore because the threads are always eventually deleted and shitposters foam at the mouth whenever anything threatens their "right" to shitpost, so they shit up all those threads before deletion. There's enough potential discussion from crossboarders here to have a decent thread, and changes need to happen at some point.
>>
If its any consolation we might be getting a celebrity board soon. Which means that should clean out the e-celeb threads
>>
/v/ has a lot of problems, but mostly
>too fast
>too moderated
both have prevented it from having any real culture like it had 7ish years ago
>>
You can split boards and "reform" moderation all you want, but if a community doesn't want to stop being shit then it's not going to stop being shit.
>>
The real problem is the speed. High-speed produces shitposting, inflammation, and popcorn-tier discussion.
>>
File: 1422300507333.jpg (94 KB, 411x487) Image search: [Google]
1422300507333.jpg
94 KB, 411x487
Bring back Ito and Deep Sea threads

All of /v/'s problems solved
>>
>>344150
I'm sorry for the walls of text; it's been a while since I've made a thread with this many words.

>>344218
Anything that would get the e-celeb drama out of /v/ would be most appreciated.

>>344223
/v/ being too fast and being heavily moderated (but not enough to prevent significant shitposting, giving it its terrible reputation) is a result of its size.

I'd really prefer that /v/ get its act together without having to create yet another board, but I'm not sure that's realistic anymore.

>>344229
/v/ is so schizophrenic as a group at this point you can barely call it a cohesive community like most other boards what with its differing opinions on nearly everything, internal flaming, and constant crying about other sites and boards crossposting.

Despite this, there's still enough people who browse and post in /v/ that don't like its current state and realize something needs to change, but these small sub-communities don't have enough influence over the larger portion of /v/.

>>344269
The speed is a major problem. Yet again, the larger problem that creates that high-speed environment is the large number of users, which is why a split may be necessary, but an improper split like an eastern and western board would kill it.

>>344287
I still see Junji Ito threads and some other manga dumps that go to bump limit and get archived on infrequent occasions that get past the mods. I think I've seen deep sea threads a few times this past year, too, but much less often.
>>
>>344287
More like permanently ban anyone who posts either of those things since they have fuck all to do with video games.
>>
Add /vi/ - Independent Video Games

No more undertale, minecraft, and Binding of Isaac on /v/. All goes to /vi/.

This board will also serve as a good place for dojin games, like touhou or visual novels, as well as game maker games. Might also be a good place for /agdg/ to be moved to.
>>
>>344826
I would hate no more Undertale on /v/ so this is a very bad idea.
>>
>>344835
Undertale shouldn't still even be on /v/, its grace period is up.
>>
>>345770
There is no such thing as a "grace period" for this, a video game is a video game and Undertale is a video game.
>>
Permanently ban people who cry "wahh, I don't like [insert video game here] all their threads should be banned and moved to another board"
>>
>>345778
Good idea. Also wordfilter "shill" to "master race".
>>
Slowing down /v/ would actually be kind of a good thing, despite people throwing a massive bitch fit about it.

I still want another split for western and eastern /v/. I hate to say it and bring the bad news, but JRPG threads are infested with shitposters
>>
>/va/ - Video Games/Alternative
Visual Novels
Dating Sims
Hentai Games
Eroge
Digital Pets
Life Simulator
Massively Multiplayer Online
Independent Video Games
Crowd Funded Games
Lets Plays
Twitch
Streaming
Competitive Gaming Tournaments

>/v/ - Video Games
Everything else
>>
At this point I only want a containment board for mustards. Every fucking thread that's not about a PC game gets shitposted into oblivion by either port begging or 'THANKS FOR BETA TESTING' if it actually gets a PC release announced. Fucking xbros already killed themself because the majority of their games went multiplat, niche games threads are dead because there is always some random shitposter samefagging until the thread is derailed and the only threads that are somewhat okay are shill threads from big companies about games nobody would give a fuck.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.