[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Please do something about "tripfags". Hiro, you created
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 9
File: 1446648092112.png (646 KB, 800x900) Image search: [Google]
1446648092112.png
646 KB, 800x900
Please do something about "tripfags".

Hiro, you created tripcode function years ago. It's a really useful tool, when, for example, some Anon wants to tell a long story, sometimes over span of few posts, threads, or even days. Or when a famous person arrives, or a game developer looking for feedback, everyone will know which posts are theirs.

However, the problem today is that a lot of people use tripcodes to act as celebrities, and keep their tripcodes on even when their identity isn't relevant. This causes a lot of trouble in threads, sometimes leading to derailment.

Could you add a rule to cut down on this inappropriate use of tripcodes?
>>
>>341854
>This causes a lot of trouble in threads, sometimes leading to derailment.
No it doesn't
>>
>>341856
People in some threads simply gave up. But can you point out a bad side of getting rid of tripfags, aside from being able to filter them?
>>
File: anonymity.png (15 KB, 1304x296) Image search: [Google]
anonymity.png
15 KB, 1304x296
there is no inappropriate use of tripcodes.
>>
>>341886
>there is no inappropriate use of tripcodes.
The only people who think that are people who use trips regularly
>>
File: 1401812577161.jpg (70 KB, 810x780) Image search: [Google]
1401812577161.jpg
70 KB, 810x780
>>341854
>>>/sp/63510947
>>
File: relax.png (610 KB, 586x487) Image search: [Google]
relax.png
610 KB, 586x487
>>341898
i've never used a trip

why don't you use an addon to anonymize everyone?
>>
>>341854
Just call them attention seeker or something you want.

We really need tripcode especially for 4cc and other example like showderp.
>>
>>341900
I'm not trying to get rid of tripcodes, I'm trying to get rid of you.

>>341909
Of course, read the last sentence of OP.
>>
>>341917
But you can already get rid of me by filtering me or anonymizing me, so what's the problem?

If the problem is in other people, e.g. newfags who don't know or don't want to filter/anonymize tripfags and start crying whenever they spot a tripfag, then you should obviously report those people for breaking the rules and trying to derail the thread. The same goes for having a group of tripfags hijacking a thread, talking to each other, blogging and circlejerking - unless they're doing it on /soc/ or /r9k/, they're breaking the rules and you should report them.
>>
>>341940
Filtering/anonymizing is sweeping the problem under the rug.
Reports don't work on either side anyway, I tried.

Can you explain why are you using tripcode in this thread? Your identity is not relevant to this discussion. The only reason I can see is showing that you're a tripfag, but you could mention it in your post instead.
>>
>>341900
>Yui

Is there any hardcore pictures of her being murdered? Or at least beaten? I really dislike her.
>>
>>342163
Why do you care?
>>
I agree
>>
>>342163
Stop being an impulsive idiot and just filter. Boo hoo he can still post but you don't have to see his posts.
>>
guys, by getting pissed at tripfags you're giving them power; you're acknowledging them. you're letting them have the aura they want

just anonymize everyone with 4chan x or similar and you'll never even be aware of the problem anymore. you'll take away the recognition they want and stop getting annoyed that there are some degenerate no-lifers that have to go against the philosophy of an anonymous image board in order to gain some sense of identity, to make it seem like they are more than useless basement dwellers
>>
>>342331
You aren't taking away shit. It's an utopia situation where everyone anonymizes. But get real, not even 10% of users does that.
It also goes against hiro's point. Tripcodes are supposed to serve a function, and by using anonymize, you're stopping that function. Which is a problem.
>>
>>342163
>Filtering/anonymizing is sweeping the problem under the rug.
What do you mean, sweeping the problem under the rug? What exactly do you believe is the problem?

>Reports don't work on either side anyway, I tried.
If that's really the case, then you should be complaining about moderators not doing their job, not wanting to give moderators yet another job. Just how much more extra work would they have if they had to review every single tripfag post and see if it's "relevant to the discussion" or not? If they can't even delete tripfag related shitposting, derailment and blogfaggotry now, how can you possibly expect them to do this in the future? What if a moderator judges a post made by a tripfag to be okay since his trip is relevant to the discussion but many people choose to believe otherwise and whine about mods not deleting that post? "Relevancy" isn't exactly an objective measurement. Is, say, Daiz talking about encoding with his trip on okay or not?

You want to solve the problem of mods not doing their job by giving them a hundred times more work? Try to think about the implications of what you're asking.

>Your identity is not relevant to this discussion.
Is there a rule that states that you should only post with a tripcode if your tripcode is relevant to the content of your post? Where is that rule written? Anyone can use any number of different tripcodes for whatever reason they feel like. Just because you and some other people believe tripcodes should only be used when "necessary" doesn't mean that's any kind of official or even unspoken rule, nor has it ever been one.
>>
>>342337
>Is there a rule that states that you should only post with a tripcode if your tripcode is relevant to the content of your post?
There isn't one, which is why I made this thread in the first place. To make hiro add it.
>>
>>342340
Why question my use of a tripcode, then?
>>
>>342342
This is third time you're asking a question that is answered in OP.
>>
>>342163
You're being a moron. You can fix this problem for yourself, so fix it. What matters is YOU, not others.
>>
>>342344
I'm not asking you why you believe your suggestion should be implemented or your arguments for its implementation, I'm asking you why would you question me breaking your rule while being aware that your rule is not a real rule and just something you want to make into a rule one day.
>>
File: 1441639026639.png (71 KB, 225x283) Image search: [Google]
1441639026639.png
71 KB, 225x283
>REMOVE TRIPCODES
>Just anonymize everybody through 4chan X
>NO
>Why not
>B-BECAUSE
>>
>>>342779
>>>342361
I believe most anons on here believe Tripcodes were supposed to be used to verify someones identity. For example a scantalator or a fan sub member may use to indicate progress or delays amongst shitposting and untruths. Or perhaps a legendary meme like sakura fish. You dont see Sakura fish posting in other threads right? It's not relevant. 4chan place where anonymity is supported as an option which is not available on other websites, and as such it is generally looked down upon as it is seen as attention whoring if not used for id purposes 'destroying' the culture of anonymity for what is pervieved as a lust for attention.
>>
>>342779
Well, they should just plain filter you, since all of your posts are shit.
>>
>>342990
This.
>>
>>342779
>BAN ALL THE OFFTOPIC SHIT ON /v/ ALREADY
>lol dude just close your eyes xD
>no
>why not
>take away your ear cloggers and eye mask and you see that you are standing on a turd, surrounded by shit while it rains shit down on you
>>
>>342990
>I believe most anons on here believe Tripcodes were supposed to be used to verify someones identity.
And those people are factually incorrect. People have been using tripcodes as general posting accounts since this site was founded, long before the "only trip when necessary" philosophy developed. Tripfags are not misusing the tool.

Okay, you don't want to see tripfags, and you have tools at your disposal to deal with them. You can filter them, you can anonymize them, or you can just leave them up but never reply to their posts and try to shun them like that. That's up to you, no one is saying tripfags deserve respect and that you should be nice to them.

But that's not the same as wanting to ban people from using the feature they're using properly all these years just because you don't like how they're using that feature.

>>343059
You misunderstand the situation. This is not a "tripfags are a problem, and you can solve it by pretending they don't exist" situation. This is a "I don't like tripfags, and I can solve that personal problem of mine by filtering them" situation.

A better /v/ comparison would be:
>BAN ALL NINTENDO THREADS ALREADY
>just hide and filter those threads if they bother you
>no
>>
>>341854
What's this from? I can't seem to find much about it in an image search except that it's related to 2hu
>>
Tripfags are usually disgusting, imbecilic manchildren who would be better off dead. Even though tripcodes enable their narcissistic behavior and amps up their belief in self-importance, removing tripcodes won't get rid of these grotesque people. All you can do is hope they commit suicide. Bully or ignore them until they crack.
>>
>>341854
Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have forgotten to use a tripcode when posting, but there is no need for you to remain anonymous in this conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to use your tripcode! Posting anonymously when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always use a tripcode, unless concealing your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to image-board culture
>>
>>342163
LeL
Why do autismonauts get so buttflustered when people namefig?
>>
>>341905
Really, I don't know why it isn't an actual feature in 4chan instead of an add-on.
>>
File: 1442289464267.jpg (64 KB, 510x482) Image search: [Google]
1442289464267.jpg
64 KB, 510x482
>>343251
Aren't you that one tranny tripfag?

Why do tripfags come out of the woodwork whenever there's any threads about tripfags, positive or not.
>>
If you filter tripfags, they have no attention to thrive off of. Giving them attention is what they want yet people never seem to get this.
It's not sweeping the problem under the rug because the problem only festers and worsens the more attention you give it. Filtering and not replying makes the issue a non-issue.

If people use a trip and contribute to discussion and not shitpost like a dingus like >>343251
is doing, then there is no problem either and is most likely why the option to use tripcodes will not be removed (note that these types are rare).

>>343059
Off-topic shit wouldn't even be around on /v/ if people learned how to report and hide the threads without replying. Send the message that people don't give a shit and just want to talk about video games. This is not the case, unfortunately.
>>
>>343261
>Muh anomynous submersion!!!!
>>
File: me katan.jpg (17 KB, 239x300) Image search: [Google]
me katan.jpg
17 KB, 239x300
>we need to cut down on what I personally think is inappropriate usage of tripcodes, they're a legitimate threat to 4chan and anonymous culture as we know it
>>
>>343363
That's a long face.
>>
>>343280
You're right that saying to ignore them is not sweeping the problem under the rug

But what _is_ is the current filters we have. If you really want people to ignore them we simply need adequate filtering options.

In order to achieve this we need a filter option that does the following:
* Automatically hide all posts containing any tripcode without the need for users to manually add them one by one to a filter.
* Display a stub for the purpose of allowing us to still make sense of post links and backlinks.
* Anonymize the name in the stub

If we had an option that did all of those things, you'd probably see far less people complaining about tripfags.
>>
>>341854
>However, the problem today is that a lot of people use tripcodes to act as celebrities,

Saying this to the guy that ran 2ch, which had a tripcode user that literally had books and movies written about them hooking up with some girl and having it be made into a national sensation.

Top kek, these weeb newfags pretending to be oldfags is great.
>>
>>341854
>Hiro, you created tripcode function years ago.
what?
>>
>>343413
not OP, but who the hell is talking about oldfags/newfags?

Not everyone thinks everything old is automatically good. 4chan evolves in time and the users are perfectly free to request new things, deal with it.
>>
I never understood why people are allowed to choose their name. If they want to be identified in certain thread, there should be function to assign a random numerical ID in that specific thread. This would take care of the problem with people wanting to be celebrities.

With the dawn of the "general" age, something is needed to curb tripfaggotry more than ever. Those things are tripfag nurseries and they derail them all the time so even if you filter them it doesn't help.
>>
>>343411

Know what else would make that problem go away? If the kiddies trying to be "le epic lejun" would fuck off and stop crying about tripfags. 2ch had a tripfag that had a romance movie written about them and their story, and moot has even said tripfags were around since the beginning and were part of the culture because everyone shifted over from SA. It doesn't make you less anonymous since you can always take it right off. Your "NEVER USE TRIPCODES!!!!!!" shit is newfaggotry of the highest order. It was never the case on 2ch, Futaba Channel. 4chan, etc., until after the "anonymous" stuff showed up. So, take your newfag ass outta here and stop whining.
>>
>>343418

I was talking about that. Because newfags are bitching about shit that isn't even a serious issue. We have malware on the fucking front page of 4chan and you are crying about someone using a fucking name on 4chan? Get over it, nigger.
>>
>>343420
>>343421
You have nothing but historical anecdotes to back up your support of tripfags. There's no logic in that.

You can't even prove that all oldfags accept tripfags and only newfags don't like them, as you seem to be implying. So you basically have no argument at all.
>>
>>343423
You can't prove jack shit on 4chan, but fortunately, people rarely have to.
>>
>>343426
well fotunately for me I'm pretty sure the majority of the userbase would think you're full of shit in saying all oldfags like tripfags.
>>
>>343423
>You have nothing but historical anecdotes to back up your support of tripfags. There's no logic in that.

It's called precedent. It's good enough for courts, it's good enough for you.

>You can't even prove that all oldfags accept tripfags and only newfags don't like them

I can prove that. moot, the one who was here since the beginning, has said as much. When the site first started, people came from SA. A site with an identity. Here they could be anonymous. Even if his name is BigDickRick##FuckBitchesGetMoney there's no registration date. Nobody's tracking his posts except for external archives and autists who care enough to go "LOOK AT HIS POSTS! TRIPFAGS ARE THE PROBLEM AND NOT MY AUTISTIC RAEG!"

It was commonplace to see the front page full of tripfags that'd make you weep like the weeb bitch you are. Know the difference between then and now? Nobody gave a fuck. Your whining makes people do it more, crybaby. And it's not even a serious issue. And just to piss you off more, as someone who never used a tripcode before I'll use one right now. Try to make me less anonymous because I used one.
>>
>>343416
He said as much in the QA, which apparently you weren't here for. How sad.
>>
>>343430
I'm not OP, and I'm not whoever you and that other faggot were arguing with before

If you'd stop being such a biased piece of shit and look at the posts I was responding to you'd realize how dumb that guy is being

I'm this guy here >>343411
giving constructive feedback for how to reduce complaints against tripfags and the replies I get are
>If the kiddies trying to be "le epic lejun" would fuck off
and
>LOL only newfags would ever want to filter tripfags

You're seriously going to back this retard up?
>>
>>343435

Those were my posts. Nice reading comprehension you have there, slick. So, yes, I'll back those statements up. Even out of context and ignoring every other statement I made to try to strawman my argument you're still wrong. That's how far off from reality you are right now.

Because 1. The "epic lejun" shit is actually what made this tripfag hate come about.

2. Yes, only newfags would want to filter them. Because only a newfag would have come to a site like 4chan and said "wow, there's all sorts of stuff I disagree with and I'm not a mature adult who can handle ignoring it or disagreeing normally. I need a mobile hugbox of things I can filter to keep it away from my sight entirely lest I get triggered". I hardly even use the extension because of that bullshit. Unless I'm on a fast board, vanilla 4chan all the way. Fuck your hugbox bullshit.
>>
tripcodes are useful for filtering reoccuring shitposters.
>>
>>343447
This
>>
>>343446
>2. Yes, only newfags would want to filter them. Because only a newfag would have come to a site like 4chan and said "wow, there's all sorts of stuff I disagree with and I'm not a mature adult who can handle ignoring it or disagreeing normally.
Yet the majority of 4chan dislikes tripfags and you're the one coming to /qa/ to argue in favor of them
so it looks to me like you're the one who's too immature to handle things the way they are.

Again, the only thing I've said I wanted in this thread is a better filter. That's it.
I guess this guy is a newfag too right? >>343447
He must be according to you, because he has the nerve to filter something
>>
>>343447
If there were regulations, they'd just use names which can still be filtered.
>>
>>343456
>Yet the majority of 4chan dislikes tripfags and you're the one coming to /qa/ to argue in favor of them

The majority of 4chan doesn't give a shit. Since moot has always said the majority of people are lurkers and just browse. Between that it's a growing number of newfags who think 4chan is the legion clubhouse and tripfags are heresy. And the dwindling number of people who have been here more than 6 months.

>>I guess this guy is a newfag too right? >>343447

Or a thin skinned faggot. Because I know you guys love to talk shit about Reddit. Reddit is the big problem as many here say. Even Reddit has to SEE the offending post before downvoting it. You're proposing an even stronger hugbox than them. Now if that ain't the sign of a newfag I don't know what is. Know what I do when I see stuff I don't like? Take a guess.

A. Scroll right past it and report it if it breaks a rule.
B. Proceed to immediately bitch and moan about how this is offensive to me and must immediately stop.
C. Barge into IRC and demand mods delete this offensive content.
D. Shit my pants in rage and run to /qa/ to make a thread nobody's gonna listen to in the hopes that mods all agree with me and hail me as the Grandmaster of Anonymous to herald my coming and ending this tripfag menace and rage that X should stop being a feature despite being in existence longer than I've been alive.
>>
>>343464
How about I just flip this argument around and put you on the defensive, obviously you want the filters removed then right? Because all I wanted was a different filter.

Why don't you go start your own thread about that shit and fuck off from here, quit pretending others are the ones crying when it's you.
>>
File: sick burn.gif (971 KB, 500x490) Image search: [Google]
sick burn.gif
971 KB, 500x490
>>343470
>How about I just flip this argument around and put you on the defensive

Because you have no argument.

>obviously you want the filters removed then right?

No. For me they are removed. I never use them. Doesn't stop me from laughing at idiot newfags like you who cry for more and more hugboxing to protect your precious little feelings and ranting against shit you know nothing about. Why would I deny myself that much amusement?

>obviously you want the filters removed then right?

>Shit, I have no argument and it's clear I'm a massive newfag who knows nothing of 4chan. I mean, I want the reputation of going there, but /r/4chan is too mainstream and 4chan is too offensive... I know!

>LOL U MAD FGT LEL UR DA 1 CRYIN NOT ME XD UR DA 1 WHO CNT HNDLE PPL SAYIN DIFRENT STFF EVEN THO IM DA 1 ADVOCATING 4 FILTERS N HUGBOXING! TOP KEK M8

Impressive argument there, pal. Either way I'm done. Just dropped in to let you know that you and anyone with this kinda argument and crying for this shit is literally the newest of the new pants shitting newfags.
>>
>>343477
Jesus christ you're damage controlling so hard.
I don't even know where you're coming up with half of this shit
>>
>>343456
>Yet the majority of 4chan dislikes tripfags

How deluded can you be? Where do you get authority to make these claims?
>>
>>343489
How deluded can YOU be? Any thread that isn't about some gay or pedo shit will have people insulting tripfags, if they appear.
>>
>>341854
>Waaah tripfags are triggering me, please save me Hiro :(
>>
It's funny how different boards react to tripcodes. Some don't even acknowledge it like they should and others will derail threads just by posting there.
>>
>>343430
>It was commonplace to see the front page full of tripfags that'd make you weep like the weeb bitch you are. Know the difference between then and now? Nobody gave a fuck
I'll never see why people use the old days to defend tripfagging. Yes, back then it was acceptable, but that was then. Back then, the community was also smaller and most people knew each other, more so since they all came from SA. As time went on, so did the users and anon culture grew to the point were tripfagging is not acceptable by the majority of the users unless you are actually contributing something
>>
Seriously, when Anon says something retarded, and when tripfag says something retarded, reactions are very different. This is all the proof you need.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.