[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is 4chan salvageable or have we become too popular and the flood
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: eternal.png (890 KB, 720x814) Image search: [Google]
eternal.png
890 KB, 720x814
Is 4chan salvageable or have we become too popular and the flood of new users forever altered the nature of the site?
>>
It's salvageable but Hiro doesn't have the balls to do what needs to be done so only in theory
>>
>>339694
And what exactly needs to be done?
>>
Hiro is putting us on the right path, but we'll never be like we once were.
>>
>>339695
Deleting bad boards and not caring about losing some of the user base. All he wants to do is add more
>>
>>339695

Not that guy, I think one way to improve the site is to limit its access. OP and hipsters are right - once something becomes too popular it goes to shit.

Other than mass range bans and flooding boards with .js and other spam, the best way to cut the wheat from the chaff is just requiring a 4chan pass to post.

Just reduce the price to $1 a pass and it will clear up a lot of shitposting since 99% of shitposters won't want to waste $1 and take the time to get a new pass just to make their BLACKED thread that'll get deleted in a few minutes anyway.
>>
>>339705
Which boards exactly?
>>
>>339711
Any boards I don't like
>>
>>339710
No this is a bad idea. Banning mobile posting would be good though
>>339711
Shit that just plain doesn't belong here like /soc/ and /adv/

There are more boards that should go but I know people will sperg out when I threaten their homeboards and make up silly arguments like >>339716
>>
>>339719
>Banning mobile posting would be good though

That would be a start. Since Hiro went into debt to buy 4chan and probably wants to increases users in order to bring in more revenue I think banning all posting from mobile users is a non-starter.

However, I think banning mobile users from making a thread is feasible and would be helpful.
>>
>>339711
/b/, /v/, /pol/, /r9k/, /s4s/, /trash/, /mlp/, /vp/, /vg/, /adv/, /soc/, /sp/

I'm just starting.
>>
>>339722
You're retarded. Banning mobile posting will do nothing to curb ban evading.
>>
File: 1446708387914.jpg (49 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1446708387914.jpg
49 KB, 500x375
>>339726

>hating /sp/

Over the line, buddy.
>>
>>339730

Yes, it will. A mobile device is the easiest and most consequence free way to shitpost.

I've done before at home, at work, or other places I'm away from my PC. Just fire up Clover, make a shitty thread, go into the airplane mode, exit airplane mode, and reply to my thread with pre-fabricated additional bait.

Sure it's not 100% effective but it will help. I don't understand why some people get so defensive when the suggestion that mobile posting be limited. I figure we're hitting close to home.
>>
>>339726
>/b/
Why the fuck would you want to delete what keeps most would-be terrible posters out?
>/pol/, /r9k/, /s4s/
Deleting a board does not delete its userbase. This would accomplish nothing but shit up the rest of the site.
>/mlp/, /vp/, /vg/
Containment boards exist for a reason
>/sp/
Why?
>>
>>339742
>Why the fuck would you want to delete what keeps most would-be terrible posters out?
>Deleting a board does not delete its userbase. This would accomplish nothing but shit up the rest of the site.
>Containment boards exist for a reason
Making up excuses is a cop-out for not enforcing the rules and banning, permabanning, and/or perma-rangebanning unwanted posters.
>>
File: 1420604415639.png (138 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
1420604415639.png
138 KB, 375x375
>wanting to delete boards and drive off newfags when Hiroshimoot took loans just to buy this site

Yes, I want 4chan to have less newfags and to be less shitty but it's nothing but a pipe dream if it means driving off it's users. Hero need to make a buck off this shithole site
>>
>>339753
That's why the first thing I said it's only possible in theory and Hiro can't/won't do it
>>
>>339695
1. Publicly ban cancer;
2. Remove 4chan from Google's search queries;
3. Insta-ban anyone who comes from Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and Reddit (Yes, it is possible if 4chan was linked in one of these sites);
4. Block mobile users, since 90% of them are Instagram shitposters;
5. More unprofessional stuff, like CSS hacks and shit;
6. REPEAT.
As >>339694, Hiro would never do this.
>>
>>339760
>Insta-ban anyone who comes from Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and Reddit (Yes, it is possible if 4chan was linked in one of these sites);
I thought websites using HTTPS didn't send referrer meta tags?
>>
>>339767
Google "whatismyreferer" and click on "whatismyreferer.com". Both sites have SSL encryption, yet google still sent a HTTP referrer to whatismyreferer.com
>>
>>339772
>not using DuckDuckGo to anonymize redirects
ayy
>>
>>339775
Anon, we are talking about banning cancer. They think Google is the only existing search query on the Internet.
>>
File: 1415602946593.jpg (49 KB, 500x498) Image search: [Google]
1415602946593.jpg
49 KB, 500x498
ITT people with vastly different ideas about what terms like "cancer" and "quality content" and "improvement" mean.
>>
We need to fucking get rid of /r/4chan. They are the one who spread our stuff everywhere. Can't we use some copy right law to shut it down or something.
>>
>>339760
>4. Block mobile users, since 90% of them are Instagram shitposters

Fuck you man, I got a long bus commute.
>>
>>339695
"deleting stuff I don't like"
>>
>>340093
You can still lurk
>>
>>340168
How magnanimous of you, Mr. Wannabe Mod
>>
>>339691
Usenet 1993
>oh no retards from AOL ruining everything
Usenet 2015
>please come back why is nobody here anymore?
>>
>>339691
It's as if unchecked immigration forever changes the culture of a community or something.
>>
>>340176
They sure would love some more spam
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.