[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Live Streaming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2
Now that 4chan has new management can live streaming be allowed again?

I always seemed weird that streaming fell under rule 11
>Advertising (all forms) is not welcome—this includes any type of referral linking, "offers", soliciting, begging, stream threads, etc.
The vast majority of people who would stream anything for 4chan aren't looking to make a quick buck out of it, and are only doing so to have fun with fellow 4chan autismos.

Not only that but its one of the the rules with the most assed enforcement. Half the time they don't get deleted/banned, the other half it is. It all depends if the mods are having a bad day or not, and is more of an inconvenience then anything else. Not only that but exceptions to that rule are ALWAYS made when some big event is going on that's live streamed, like E3, or any kind of Conference.
>>
Holy shit, please. I hate how when I'm on /tv/ and someone posts a stream for a movie for all of /tv/ to watch together, and then the streamer and his topic gets banned.
>>
>>332307
>I always seemed weird that streaming fell under rule 11
*It always seemed weird that streaming fell under rule 11

I need some fucking sleep
>>
>>332307
It especially makes no fucking sense for streaming to not be allowed on fucking /vg/ of all places

/vg/ was literally made to get the e-sports generals off of /v/

Live streaming is what e-sports are all about
>>
The problem here is that if the rule was removed, nothing would stop an autist from trying to be the next pewdiepie by shilling their shitty channel all over /v/ to try to gain followers and e-fame in that way. I'm fucking looking at you VGCWfag. And while there are people who might want to do legitimately nice things like stream live conferences or movies, there's no way to tell them apart from someone scummy who just uses a huge event like E3 to fish for a large amount of potential followers for their channel that they use to stream their personal stuff like LPs or whatever. If you don't have any qualms with being used as e-fame fodder for someone, that's fine, but most people don't realize they're being taken advantage of in this way.
>>
>>332370
No one is saying to remove the rule, just to remove live streaming from it.

There is a difference between shilling a youtube video and live streaming.

Even if some random fuck wants to try to be e-famous by live streaming who gives a fuck? You know as well as I do no one would click on blatant shilling other then a few idiots.

If the majority of people would be doing it for fun who cares what the minority would do?
>>
>>332307
Linking streams should be allowed on /vg/ and that's it. Places like /srg/ pretty much rely heavily on linking streams (and I'm pretty sure mods don't even support rule 11 on /vg/, anyway)
>>
>>332396
>Linking streams should be allowed on /vg/ and that's it
Why should /vg/ be a special snowflake? Tons of other boards have had perfectly fun and fine threads stomped down just because of this rule.
>(and I'm pretty sure mods don't even support rule 11 on /vg/, anyway)
They do

I've been banned twice for trying to put on streams for /vg/, each for a month.
>>
>>332387
>You know as well as I do no one would click on blatant shilling other then a few idiots.
You're severely underestimating how goddamn stupid /v/ is. If they knew any better, then sjw threads and obvious bait threads would have just died out naturally.

>If the majority of people would be doing it for fun
Except you have no reason to believe that a majority of streamers would be doing it for fun. I don't know about your home board but the majority of /v/ is pure cancer. If /v/ streamers pop up based on population sample size alone, I would except a majority of them to also be cancer.
>>
>>332430
And I say you're underestimating /v/

Sure they can be a bunch of fucking idiots at times but this is fucking /v/ we're talking about here

No board is faster to call out shill then /v/ and if you don't know that you haven't been on /v/ for long.
>>
No I don't want this site flooded with trash streamers advertising. If you give them an inch they'll take a mile etc.

Like you said the mods barely enforce it now so why make ot even more lax and open the floodgates.
>>
>>332441
>No I don't want this site flooded with trash streamers advertising. If you give them an inch they'll take a mile etc.
Sounds paranoid to me
>Like you said the mods barely enforce it now so why make ot even more lax and open the floodgates.
Because when they do enforce it its always a your average joe who just wants to have fun, big streams and actual shills just get overlooked
>>
Also obviously when I suggest making a change to the rules like this I mean for it to apply to your average stream with no sponsors/ads/patreons/etc

That is unless it's a verified charity stream

The whole point of rule 11(or at least how I interpret it) is to keep random scumbags from trying to make a quick buck off of 4chan, so it doesn't make sense for streams that are only for the community to be targeted.
>>
>>332450
>Sounds paranoid to me
No more like the voice of reason.
>Because when they do enforce it its always a your average joe who just wants to have fun, big streams and actual shills just get overlooked
[Citation needed]

The people who primarily are going to b taking advantage of this are hordes of retarded preteens and teens caught up in the e-celeb craze. No one wants to see some dumb fucking kid shilling his shit everywhere. You may have good intentions but the negatives outweigh the positives here.
>>332452
No one has time to check every fucking stream that gets posted anon.
>>
>>332454
>[Citation needed]
Personal experience and a quick look at /vg/

Its not uncommon to see people finding ways around posting streams and discussing big streams

Stuff like this is fine but small community streams aren't?
>The people who primarily are going to b taking advantage of this are hordes of retarded preteens and teens caught up in the e-celeb craze. No one wants to see some dumb fucking kid shilling his shit everywhere. You may have good intentions but the negatives outweigh the positives here.
Once again I think this is just over-dramatized paranoia.
>No one has time to check every fucking stream that gets posted anon.
No one said you had to? Just like you don't have to visit every thread. If someone happens to be interested in a stream and they click it only to find out its a shill trying to make some easy money said poster could just report them. Wow that was amazingly hard.
>>
>>332462
>Once again I think this is just over-dramatized paranoia.
It's not paranoia it's a legitimate concern, unless you don't think this site is crawling with retarded kids
>No one said you had to? Just like you don't have to visit every thread. If someone happens to be interested in a stream and they click it only to find out its a shill trying to make some easy money said poster could just report them. Wow that was amazingly hard.
Mods don't have time to check the validity of each report I mean, they're busy enough as it is without having to deal with special rules and exceptions. It's better to just toss them all out, the damage is minimal. The more you speak the more this only seems beneficial to /vg/ and harmful or irrelevant to everyone else.
>>
>>332474
>It's not paranoia it's a legitimate concern, unless you don't think this site is crawling with retarded kids
This site is also filled with people who LOVE to call out shills and love to stomp them down. What you call a "legitimate concern", I call "an idiot that would get shut down the second they post".
>Mods don't have time to check the validity of each report I mean
This sounds like a cheap excuse.
>The more you speak the more this only seems beneficial to /vg/
I barely even browse /vg/, I'm talking site-wide. It doesn't matter what board I go on, be it /v/, /a/, /co/, /m/, /tv/, etc. I've seen WAY more streams of people just trying to have fun streaming for random 4channers that I have seen shills. Hell I haven't seen ANY shill streams before. For something you claim to be a huge potential problem I haven't seen anyone even attempt it before.
>>
>>332491
>For something you claim to be a huge potential problem I haven't seen anyone even attempt it before.
To be fair, before the live streaming rule was established, it was attempted. Not on a large scale, but it was annoying enough that the rule came to be in the first place.

That said, I don't disagree with making the rule more lax. Streaming was a fairly new fad back then though, it should be the time to re-evaluate the rule. I don't think there needs an outright ban just because some easily reported people might be looking to shill their own shit.
>>
>>332491
>This site is also filled with people who LOVE to call out shills
No, people call out shills for shilling things that they don't like. If someone made a Hotline Miami or Binding of Isaac stream, no one would give a shit because /v/ loves that garbage.
>>
>>332693
>I don't think there needs an outright ban just because some easily reported people might be looking to shill their own shit.
Pretty much
>>
>>332693
/vp/ here, stream shilling was really bad a couple years ago and is still somewhat of a problem. Whenever there's some sort of live Japanese event on Niconico or Japanese TV, you get these annoying fucks showing up to shill their Youtube mirrors where they talk over the stream to sell T-shirts and beg for subscriptions, trying REALLY hard to make it seem like their stream is the only way to watch the event.

This rule needs to be heavily enforced.
>>
>>332311
Is this really what OP is talking about?

I wouldn't associate streaming videos to people with the term "live streaming". Even if you're using live streaming tools to do it.

Technically in the end you're just sending pre-recorded video data to users, and that's basically what youtube does. As long as the actual content of the video isn't "live" then it should be ok.
>>
>>333062
>/vp/ here
You browse the WORST board next to /mlp/, no shit you're going to have idiots ruining everything
>you get these annoying fucks showing up to shill their Youtube mirrors where they talk over the stream to sell T-shirts and beg for subscriptions
Under the changes im suggesting this is still bannable.
>>333067
>Is this really what OP is talking about?
It is
>I wouldn't associate streaming videos to people with the term "live streaming". Even if you're using live streaming tools to do it.
It does count as live streaming and I've gotten banned for doing so before. I've seen countless other threads deleted and banned for the same thing too. Just small community streams from 4channers to just have fun with, the kind of stuff thats far from being monetized.
>Technically in the end you're just sending pre-recorded video data to users, and that's basically what youtube does. As long as the actual content of the video isn't "live" then it should be ok.
You say that but I've even seen sync-tube threads get deleted before under this rule. It literally doesn't make any sense but for some reason it counts.
>>
>>333082
>I've even seen sync-tube threads get deleted before under this rule
That was going to be my next suggestion.
That seems pretty unreasonable to me, sync-tube type websites are not live streaming any more than youtube itself is live streaming and youtube videos obviously aren't banned.
>>
>>333062
Different boards have different problems. The issue here seems to be that the livestream rule is basically enforced the same 4chan-wide even though, say, /tv/ and /vp/ have completely different experiences about it. Even if something is a problem on one board it doesn't mean they have to treat every board like they had the same problem.
>>
>>333094
Agreed

Especially when you bring /vp/ of all boards into this

Seems like more of a "the many over the few" kind of deal

There are some boards that it just doesn't make sense for it to be a bannable offense.
>>
>>333089
It confuses me to no end
>>
>>333359
>but there's no more streams worth posting anymore
Because people don't want to be banned for posting streams
>And Twitch has become especially bad and is the reason that rule exists. Twitch is literally a site where people beg for money
I posted an image of Twitch just because its the first site that came to mind. I'm not advocating specifically for Twitch or something. I actually prefer Hitbox to Twitch.
>>
>>332491
>This site is also filled with people who LOVE to call out shills and love to stomp them down.
Not him, but a thread of people calling out shills isn't exactly good either. It just encourages more shitposting as trolls will purposely post random streams and revel in all the attention they get by being called out on it.
>>
File: 1372705353488.jpg (123 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1372705353488.jpg
123 KB, 800x600
>>332307
I'd recommend directing the question via the feedback page. That or get enough support for your cause and do a massive influx of requests for streaming.

If its something that the community of 4Chan wants, then it'll [usually] get approved.

As per my own opinion, I wouldn't recommend streaming on the site, due to the increasing copyright laws in different countries.

As per Youtube/Twitch/Insert other web video site here, I also wouldn't recommend because it would turn into a shilling circlejerk that is blantantly a shilling circlejerk without having the decency to try to adapt to site and or board culture.

If you want advertisement, go to Reddit.
If you want support, go to Tumblr.
If you want someone to give you strict honesty or contrarion opinions, then you post here.

However, I do not speak on behalf of Mr Hiro. What he and The Staff decide to do is ultimately up to them.
>>
>>335275
>>As per my own opinion, I wouldn't recommend streaming on the site, due to the increasing copyright laws in different countries.
Thats not something that 4chan could be help accountable for but something the stream would have to deal with on whatever site they're streaming on.
>>
>>332307
I think that people don't understand that op is talking about those movie/tv series/event streams;not twitch and that stuff.
>>
similar thread is similar

>>335560

rules:

1. ONLY tv shows and movies allowed
2. custom content is strictly banned

implement this on one board first and then see how it goes.

Also, if there are qualms with having livestreams, we could ask it to be restricted to a certain time period.
>>
>>337203
I don't agree with this at all

Those restrictions are fucking stupid as fuck
>>
>>337217
why?
>>
>>337228
Why the fuck would you limit streaming to specific days and why the fuck would would you get rid of custom content?
>>
>>337231
the custom days thing is dependent on the mods, and is to be implemented only as a last resort (before banning streaming, ofc) to counter a majority of threads on said board being for streaming and not discussion. I am not suggesting it be implemented at first.

Banning custom content is the only way this is going to work. Every other youtube faggot will come up here to make shekels and then try and self bump threads from a bunch of different ips. no use in that.

Also, I am talking about /tv/. No way live streaming is going to be implemented for all boards.

And if you are talking about the gaming boards, then I have no clue because I neither play games nor view game livestreams. I just want to livestream films and tv shows on /tv/.
>>
>>337242
Shouldn't have specified /tv/ in your post

Regardless I still think specific streaming days is shitty idea
>>
>>337110
I was talking about everything

Be it movies/tv/games/etc

As long as its something the streamer isn't making money off of, or isnt begging for subscribers/followers then its fine
>>
>>337296
this.

Plus, you're not OP.

I am.
>>
hiroyuki?
>>
>>338917
Does An Hiro even browse /qa/?
>>
>>340160
almost regularly
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.