[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck is with the /pol/ timers? People can make a thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
File: 1446571669648.jpg (393 KB, 2353x1755) Image search: [Google]
1446571669648.jpg
393 KB, 2353x1755
What the fuck is with the /pol/ timers? People can make a thread every 60 seconds and make a post every 15 seconds. This basically allows thread sliding and forcing thread 404s prematurely. Explain why this shit is still like this after the kuckening.

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>330185
What's more reasonable timers in your opinion.
>>
>>330223
Same as every other board. I think /vg/ is the only one with irregular post timers(higher).

These low ass timers are leftovers from that prank moot pulled on the board.
>>
>>330224
/b/, /his/, /jp/, /pol/,

The normal is
threads: 600,
replies: 30 or 60,

While /pol/, /his/, and /b/ get
threads: 60,
replies: 15,

Which brings me to the question of why does /jp/ have such a long thread timer?
threads: 3600,
replies: 30,

Anyway, while replies aren't significantly different that thread timer being 1/10th is fairly significant. I don't see any reason /pol/ should be different than the majority of the site with it's thread timer. Or /his/ for that matter.

https://a.4cdn.org/boards.json
>>
It seems to be 60 seconds for me on /pol/. (shrug)
>>
>>330247
Wow, I didn't even realize /his/ had the 15 second post timer. That's odd, you'd think they'd want to increase it.
>>
>>330252
I'm guessing Hiro just copied one of the others and didn't realize there were different standards. And it just happened to be /b/ or /pol/.
>>
>>330247
/vg/ has like 120 or something for normal replies.
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 446x336) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 446x336
>>330185
Glad someone finally brought this up, the number one method to helping prevent rampant shitposting is the post and thread timer. I don't know exactly what the right numbers are but they need to be increased.
>>
>>330260
Not just shitposting. If you can make a new thread every minute and the cap on number of active threads an IP can create is around 5, then a single individual can thread slide shit out of content selectively by reply bump and thread creation manipulation. Now imagine that on a larger scale, a simple 10-20 man group in theory manipulate an entire board.
>>
>>330259
Then I guess the replies_intra is the value used. I honestly don't know the difference between replies and replies_intra.

cooldowns: {
threads: 600,
replies: 30,
replies_intra: 90,
images_intra: 120
},

/vg/ is the only one that has different stats between the two.
>>
>>330271
By intra do you mean that you also noticed how the cooldowns are not the same if you board hop? If you make a thread on /a/, it will give you a high cooldown but if you switch to another board, it's lower. It doesn't allow you to spam threads on the same board but the cooldown is lower if you try to make threads on different boards.

This is not the case with /pol/ either, it's just 60 seconds every time even if you make the next thread in /pol/.
>>
>>330262
I know, in /pol/ parliament we discussed using that method to remove bait and kek threads but we never got organized enough.

It's a loophole that needs to be closed to protect the boards.
>>
>>330284
It's because parliament threads are cancerous tripfaggotry circlejerks. There is a reason they moved to /r9k/.
>>
File: file.png (35 KB, 979x365) Image search: [Google]
file.png
35 KB, 979x365
>>330276
No, I mean there's a variable called replies_intra and replies. There is no threads_intra. I'm well aware that certain boards have different thread and reply/image cooldowns, and I've already listed them.

'replies' and 'images' are already per board.
>>
>>330284
Indeed. So the question remains: what is the ideal timer for /pol/? Should it be low like /b/, the standard for all other boards or should it have custom rules like /vg/ or /jp/?
>>
>>330291
The actual reply/image cooldowns are different than you are reporting, though.
>>
File: file.png (39 KB, 1072x390) Image search: [Google]
file.png
39 KB, 1072x390
>>330294
They've only been confirmed, I was just listing the wrong variable apparently. Hence the confusion over 'replies' and 'replies_intra'.
>>
>>330291
>There is no threads_intra
So what is the value called? Test it yourself. Go make a thread on /a/ and see that it will give you a 600 second cooldown if you try to make another thread on /a/ again. If you jump to something different, say /r9k/, the cooldown counter will be using 300 as the base, meaning the system seems to multiply the cooldown by 2 if you try to make consecutive threads on the same board.
>>
File: image.png (184 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
image.png
184 KB, 450x300
>>330290
Relax edgemaster the threads are dead. Even on /r9k/.

If you want to be the edgiest kid on all of 4chan I can tell you their Skype group and Nationstates region so you can lead the offsite harassment campaign.
>>
>>330292
Since /pol/ is so full of rampant manipulation and shitposting it should be set to the same higher standard as /vg/. That will also help alleviate concerns of shill manipulation.
>>
>>330300
It's called "It doesn't have a variable". Chances are that's hard coded. Half of the normal cooldown.
>>
>>330310
Oh, that would make sense then.
>>
File: file.png (38 KB, 1056x398) Image search: [Google]
file.png
38 KB, 1056x398
>>330311
Yeah. I thought about that and it doesn't really make sense to have different cooldowns for posting replies on different boards given to a variable per boards without doing the same with threads. So these two variables don't make sense to me.

Here's /pol/'s info for the record.
>>
>>330315
So replies intra and images intra just refer to the in-thread cooldowns right?

That's why /vg/ has cooldowns of 90 for normal replies on the same thread and 120 for image replies; to prevent a single individual to control the flow of a general thread when the point of /vg/ is for communities to interact. This takes power away from spammers so it seems like a thoughtful feature.

You said only /jp/ and /vg/ have unique values like these(besides /b/ and /pol/)?
>>
>>330322
Ah, that makes sense. Intra-thread instead of intra-board. I could see that being a thing.

/jp/ has a unique thread (3600) and /vg/ has unique intra_image (120) and intra_reply(90).

/b/, /pol/, and /his/ all share a thread: 60 with a 15 on everything else.
>>
>>330329
I don't get /his/'s timers. Shouldn't posts related to history and humanities take bigger replies and therefore want to set a slower pace for discussions?
>>
>>330340
Hiro made it himself. It also had IDs and flags starting off, so chances are he just copied /pol/'s variables. I doubt he realized what the common settings for things were.
>>
>>330349
That's odd, why use /pol/ (or possibly /b/) as the mold anyhow? Questions for later, I gotta get going but I will bump this thread in the morning if it's still up so that cooldowns could be considered for a streamlining or some sort of revision. If it's down, I'll just make a new thread.

Thanks for the info you dug up, it was really interesting.
>>
>>330350
Several reasonings come to mind. But it all ends up with: He doesn't know shit about 4chan.
>>
15 second post timers are good
60 second thread timers are insane

When I make a new thread there, the thread slides to page 7 within about 4 minutes and will 404 within 10 minutes if I don't post the most absolute clickbaity image in the OP.
>>
>>330360
/pol/ shares the 20-50 minute thread death times with /v/. Only /b/ ever breaks 10 on average.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.