[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
No more captcha
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (64 KB, 500x410) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64 KB, 500x410
It's time to remove captcha from this site. This will fix many problems
>no more bullshit captchas preventing posts and reports
Self explanatory
>mods will have their hands full with spammers
This is a good thing. Part of the reason mods are so shitty right now is that they have nothing to do, so they enforce heavily on legit posters. Removal of captcha will increase spam, but that's ok so the For Free Committee has something to do rather than pester the rest of us
>>
>>325096
>Part of the reason mods are so shitty right now is that they have nothing to do, so they enforce heavily on legit posters.

You're fucking daft. They have plenty to do, it's just that they hit legit posters instead of the people who deserve it.
>>
>>325107
>being a janny apologist

Doing it for free too
>>
It's completely shit right now. Even in a clean private browsing mode session, CAPTCHA is completely buggy and I have to use audio mode to be able to fill in something doable.
>>
>>325096
when /b/ had its captcha removed last year I immediately made a script to spam dumb shit in random threads and left it running for hours at a time.
>>
>>325096
https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Cornelia
>>
>>327292
>MSHTA
>2016
>4chan's whole code was rewritten from scratch in 2011
>>
>>327294
And? Bots don't need the site's source code to work, they never did.
The spam bots used to basically send POST data thought HTTP headers.
>>
File: 1285296893219.jpg (53 KB, 807x527) Image search: [Google]
1285296893219.jpg
53 KB, 807x527
>>325096
I miss CAPTCHA comics.
>>
>>327285
And nobody noticed.
>>
File: LYIN TOMETA.png (15 KB, 340x421) Image search: [Google]
LYIN TOMETA.png
15 KB, 340x421
>>327322
Me too, Anon.
>>
>>325096
Please remove captcha if you're not going to fix it.

Recaptcha barely works.
>>
File: SPAM.png (1 MB, 4040x1896) Image search: [Google]
SPAM.png
1 MB, 4040x1896
>remove captcha
>>
>>330821
Which is easier to block:
1) a bunch of PNG files, all generated with the same encoder and all posted with the same user agent and similar filenames
or
2) the incompetent or malicious behaviors of reCAPTCHA, including but not limited to displaying captchas offscreen, moving captchas about as you try to input them, rejecting correct answers, requiring multiple answers, outright refusing all answers from certain users, stealing focus from where the user placed it, scrolling to the top of the page, scrolling down the page when the box is checked, scrolling when the bubble is inserted, spying on users, extorting users to disable privacy measures, discriminating against users who are not using Google products, being slow to load, frequently failing to load, failing to retry on network errors and instead popping up unhelpful error messages, occasionally failing to work at all for all users whatsoever, displaying instructions in the wrong language with no option to change it, randomly giving some users the garbage fallback version with tiny checkboxes to select the images and an annoying code to copy which doesn't always work, etc., etc., etc.
>>
>>330856
None. Spam bots could simply use text to spam, and reCAPTCHA at least block them.

Hiro has to install a better catpcha system here tho.
>>
>>330858
Spambots switched to images for a reason, text is much easier to block.

>Hiro has to install a better catpcha system here tho.

Probably the best solution. Both spam and reCAPTCHA are infuriating cat-and-mouse games, although I think reCAPTCHA has surpassed spam now.

And at least with spam 4chan has control. Some problems with reCAPTCHA simply can't be fixed.
>>
>>330858
A local CAPTCHA system like 8ch would be ideal. When something designed to safeguard the site from malicious things starts affecting the ability of genuine users to legitimately use it, then it's time to reconsider the decision.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.