[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do we slow down /v/? >start new thread >leave for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7
File: 1337645873546.jpg (85 KB, 571x659) Image search: [Google]
1337645873546.jpg
85 KB, 571x659
How do we slow down /v/?

>start new thread
>leave for two minutes to get a glass of water
>come back
>page 7
>>
Only option. Increased post timer or another board split
>>
>>324775
Just use the catalog like everybody else
>>
We need to implement some kind of depopulation program here. Since /b/v/ lives don't matter, we could just randomly ban 90% of the IPs on those boards.
>>
>>324777
>>
More pages
>>
ban all IPs that have only visited /b/ and /v/
>>
File: Get_a_load.jpg (44 KB, 776x602) Image search: [Google]
Get_a_load.jpg
44 KB, 776x602
>>324775
>>start new thread
>>leave for two minutes
>>
>>324775
You delete /v/ for a few months to kill off its userbase and culture
>>
>>325239
>delete the most popular board on the website
>kill website

Good idea fucktard
>>
>>325282
>popular
Who cares?
>>
>>325284
>this is what dead boards tell themselves
>>
>>325282
>most popular
Second most popular. It also wouldn't kill the website, there's several other very popular boards. It'd be dumb for sure, but it wouldn't kill anything.
>>
>>325282
I don't see how that's a problem? The majority of the people you are killing off are shitposters, they serve no purpose other than to pointlessly increase the server bandwidth. The point is to kill off the userbase, its not like removing /v/ will make users on other boards leave as well
>>
>>325305
I'm not sure you understand how 4chan works. People don't just post on one board, except for a few autistics.

/v/ is the majority of 4chsn's population
>>
>>325323
There's nothing wrong with downsizing tbqh
>>
>>324775
Who the fuck takes 2 minutes to get a glass of water? What, did you self-purify or some shit?
>>
>>325330
There is if your goal is to keep the website alive.
>>
>>325343
>more users = good
This is probably the same type of person who supports free immigration.
>>
>>325348
>the fewer users the better!

Why are you even here? Why not just sit by yourself and jack off if that's all you want to do
>>
>>325323
Yet again, I don't see how this is a problem? /v/ is nothing but a cancer on everything, constantly brings in new people just for its shitty nature, and its impossible to clean because its too big. As such, they only way to do so is to purge it and start anew in a few months, with heavy moderation for another few months

More users =/= good
In actual fact, its bad. Decreasing the user base, more so since we are removing a core of the shitposting part, will only serve to improve things.

A few hundred thousand users that care about quality is better than a few million who do nothing but shitpost
>>
>>325351
>>the fewer users the better!
This is better. People don't come to 4chan anymore to actually discuss things, they come here mainly for its infamy on things and shit the place up. This is a perfect example of what /v/ does as well. Removing them won't disturb the website in any form, except help increase post quality
>>
>>325365
Then you're free to fuck off to 8gag and make your own board
>>
>>325351
Boards being too fast produces a lot of unwanted problems just by its very nature of being fast.
Boards being too slow just leaves a corpse behind.

What I'm assuming most people who support a slower /v/ just want exactly that - a slower /v/. Not a dead /v/, just a slower one than the one we have.
/v/'s popularity churns out a lot of low quality posting, it's just an unavoidable side effect when you have so many posts and threads being made.
Consequently, it's hard for the mods and janitors to effectively moderate /v/ because of how fast it is compared to other boards, leaving the issue exacerbated. Double that down with infamy and popularity attracting others, and you now have a negative-feedback loop where the problem continues to worsen yet the userbase continues to grow, and is where /v/ is arguably placed today.

I think the latest statistical run placed /v/ somewhere at 90-100 posts per minute on an average day. /b/ was somewhere around 130 ppm, to put things in perspective. It's the reason why the foolz archive didn't archive /v/ for a while.

More users can be good only to a certain extent. This is not one of those scenarios. I don't really see why a lower-traffic /v/ would be harmful, 4chan for years survived without the need of today's traffic.
>>
>>324775
If your thread isn't being bumped by a few friends or a thread that gets made every day then it won't survive the rip current that is /v/
>>
/v/ is full of useless 90 iq spam

why bother?
>>
>>326229
Never give up hope.
>>
>>325239
You realize that would just end in /vr/ and /vg/ getting invaded right?
>>
>>326237
>/vg/
>invaded
And nothing of value was lost. It's just generals, circlejerking and tripfags

>/vr/
I normally forget this is even a thing, because it was a fucking retarded split
>>
>>326235

it moves too fast and has attracted a crowd of low IQ losers who debate fucking console wars and tertiary content that is pretty emulates a SFW /b/. i have a belief that a 40-50% portion of /v/ is underaged and is unable to input anything meaningful.

as an aside, /vg/ has the same problem. generals are just clogged up with spam, and move way too fast. if you track the general threads of around 5 games, you will spend hours wading shit just to fine something interesting and intellectually stimulating.

the good boards are: /g/, /o/, /biz/, /fit/, /his/, /int/, /n/, /out/, /sp/ during gameday and /trv/)

some will say >int, but its reasonable and there is no shit-threading. i think once a board goes post a certain post rate, it either evolves into a general (to categorize posting and remove spam, making it easier to read), or the population ends up being too low IQ and the board just becomes a spambox
>>
More mods, like 1000 mods.
>>
>>326245
/vr/ at least has actual discussion about its subject topic. Who cares if it's slow?
>>
>>326291
>good boards
>no /a/
Opinion discarded. /a/ is one of the only boards that tries to self-moderate and encourage post quality
>>
File: 1378512944667[1].gif (98 KB, 400x452) Image search: [Google]
1378512944667[1].gif
98 KB, 400x452
>>326336
>/a/ is one of the only boards that tries to self-moderate and encourage post quality
Keyword: tries. People just don't know to not reply to repetitive troll threads. Really the one thing I'll /a/ is extremely good at is using the report button, but you know how mods can be inconsistent.

I forgot what other points I was trying to make beyond that, so instead have a Len partying softly. (I'm sure that one oldfag anon who's been browsing /qa/ would have more to say if he saw this thread.)
>>
>>324775
Split /v/ into /v/ western and /v/ eastern.

Get that weeb shit away
>>
>>326348
Please do not shitpost anon, it doesn't contribute anything
>>
>>326348
How about you fuck off back to /b/?
>>
File: 1442092041683.gif (1010 KB, 500x248) Image search: [Google]
1442092041683.gif
1010 KB, 500x248
>>326352
>>
File: 1435972572937.jpg (47 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1435972572937.jpg
47 KB, 640x480
>>326336
>/a/ is one of the only boards that tries to self-moderate and encourage post quality
>>
>>326359
>>
>>324775
It's fine.
>>
Delete /v/. Problem solvered.
>>
>>326336
I think that /a/ is good but not on the level of the other boards he posted (well except for /int/ and /sp/)

It simply has too much traffic to reach a certain level of quality, so while it's good it's only good despite it's size. Compared only to boards with similar traffic it's one of, if not the best
>>
>>326291
>it either evolves into a general (to categorize posting and remove spam, making it easier to read)
>/g/
Generals helped when there was no mod for hours and crappy threads died naturally, with better moderation they should be banned otherwise they become an eternal circlejerk.
>>
>>324775
We need new mods on /v/ before that fucking happens. I can't count how many times I've had my on topic posts/threads or seen other on topic posts/threads deleted for no reason at all.
>>
File: 1434862803339.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1434862803339.gif
2 MB, 400x225
>>326348

Ignore faggots; you are the man.
>>
>>326348
>>327412
samefag
>>
>>324775
Post cooldown of ca. 2 minutes, remove known offtopic generals like filenames and actually ban and remove threads when there are already 20 threads about the topic in the catalogue.
>>
>>325288
>muh big market teams
Spee and vee forever will be pee.
>>
>>325323
but getting all the not videogame shit away from the videogame board is exactly what we need. I would love to see filename, gaymerfood and lol generals on /b/ where it does not take away from the boards topic but adds a lot.
>>
>>324775
>not just using the catalog

also who the fuck still drinks water from fucking glasses?
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.