[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you believe in destiny, /pol/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 8
File: man of faith.jpg (34 KB, 720x407) Image search: [Google]
man of faith.jpg
34 KB, 720x407
Do you believe in destiny, /pol/?
>>
>>81419382
No.
>>
>>81419382
Not in the way you're thinking.
>>
>>81419550
how am I thinking of it?
>>
>>81419630
You're likely thinking about it in a sort of spiritual way that's traditionally known as destiny, but I look at it as a higher dimension. Every moment from our birth until our death is being played out in simultaneous existence in the fourth dimension.
>>
>>81419472
why not?
>>
>>81420012
I don't think those two things are mutually exclusive.

Sure, perhaps the limitless variety of choices we can make exist individually in an infinite number of possible dimensions/scenarios, but at the same time you live in this particular timeline.

To me, what's "spiritual" in the concept of destiny is that it implies that every person has potential (which is true), and that they should forever strive toward their highest possible achievement.
>>
>>81420027
Why should I?
>>
File: image.jpg (564 KB, 1148x1346) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
564 KB, 1148x1346
Not really. I mean, don't get me wrong, I played the hell out of it, I have three light level-335 characters. But I think I'm finally burned out on it. Not even interested in the new DLC.
>>
>>81419382
>>
>>81420235
>Sure, perhaps the limitless variety of choices we can make exist individually in an infinite number of possible dimensions/scenarios, but at the same time you live in this particular timeline.

I'm not talking about other universes I'm talking about higher dimensions within our own universe. An object's persistence through time is like its extension through space and an object that exists in time has temporal parts in the various subregions of the total region of time it occupies.

>To me, what's "spiritual" in the concept of destiny is that it implies that every person has potential (which is true), and that they should forever strive toward their highest possible achievement.

The potential you speak of is energy. To me spirituality entails gaining knowledge about the Universe and what it is and what you are, and a blissful understanding of the relationship between what "you" are and what "it" is. It's the essence of being able to comprehend that you're the Universe being turned from its very atoms into a fully functional being with apparent consciousness able to study and think for itself.

It's something that can make you weep for hours.
>>
File: self-made man.jpg (134 KB, 511x679) Image search: [Google]
self-made man.jpg
134 KB, 511x679
>>81420293
it gives you focus (single-pointedness of mind), something to live for, and consistency in life.

You know, a lot of /pol/acks talk about how, whether or not you subscribe to the metaphysical reality of god, religion is useful as a tool to maintain social order and cohesivesness. I think we can distill this solution further and realize that one of the big problems of our time is a lack of a sense of a goal in life.

the existentialists addressed this, but easily fell into the malaise of nihilism. one has to believe oneself a potentially higher being, and strive toward that transformation.
>>
>>81419382
Things that are going to happen will happen?

Yeah sure.

Anything has preordained it?

The past.

Nothing spiritual about it, just cause and effect. Inescapable.
>>
File: 1435105819969.jpg (184 KB, 1500x1465) Image search: [Google]
1435105819969.jpg
184 KB, 1500x1465
>>81420012
This senpai. Every moment in the future already exists. It just hasn't happened yet. Everything you will ever do and every choice you make is fixed on the timeline of the universe.
>>
File: locke-orange-smile-o.gif (2 MB, 320x190) Image search: [Google]
locke-orange-smile-o.gif
2 MB, 320x190
>>81420599
>>
>>81419382
I believe in the preservation of mass and energy and Brownian motion.
>>
>>81419382
I don't know, I guess I will when I Durn to yah.
>>
>>81420930
there's no separating the spiritual and mundane. it's one thing,
>>
>>81420718

>The potential you speak of is energy. To me spirituality entails gaining knowledge about the Universe and what it is and what you are, and a blissful understanding of the relationship between what "you" are and what "it" is. It's the essence of being able to comprehend that you're the Universe being turned from its very atoms into a fully functional being with apparent consciousness able to study and think for itself.

It's something that can make you weep for hours.

I pretty much agree with everything you mention here.

the more concrete things seem to ultimately boil down to causation, which in a materialistic and commonsense view is what we might call the progenitor of "destiny," if such a thing exists in that way.
>>
>>81420718
>It's something that can make you weep for hours.

This feel. Beautiful, terrifying, mystical experience. rare but so real at times. epiphanic
>>
File: fish teeth.jpg (26 KB, 235x300) Image search: [Google]
fish teeth.jpg
26 KB, 235x300
>>81420989
agreed. and yet we experience will and choice, and if we "choose" corretly, we can progress along a lifepath toward our highest possible aims.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.