[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm pretty firmly atheist, and have been for a long time.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39
File: gawdy.jpg (106 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
gawdy.jpg
106 KB, 400x400
I'm pretty firmly atheist, and have been for a long time. Recently I had a conversation with my father, and I wonder if its such a good idea to be convincing people not to be religious. The convo went like this

>But anon, if theres no heaven, what happens when you die?
>IDK dad. No one knows. Even the bible says, "The living know of death, but the dead know nothing." The universe will recycle your matter and energy, but as far as your consciousness or whatever goes, it just doesnt exist anymore. Its probably a similar feeling to the billions of years before you were born and had no consciousness.
>IDK anon, that sounds really scary, doesnt it?

It was that moment I paused, and saw his face. He wasn't trying to make me a believer anymore. I saw real fear in his face--the fear of a man who presumed he had all lifes answers, and just realized that maybe his answers were wrong. The fear of a man who was for the first time giving serious thought to his mortality. I think I may have hit to hard? I said all I could say really

>well, I imagine your fear will probably be gone too

Are there just some people who will never be capable of handling the red pill? Is it wrong to make them try and swallow it?
>>
>>81063379
Why does it even bother humans?
Dogs and Deers and even intelligent primates go on living without giving any consideration to their mortality.

Yet humans are intensely haunted by the thought of their conscious being obliterated.

Sin death and damnation entered the world because Man chose those things. God never intended death to be a part of the equation. This is why it's so upsetting to us.
>>
You mistook his emotion, he was scared for you.

And no, when you try to convince people to be irreligious you're simply seeking approval of your own views and to justify them via convincing someone else, your father in this case which has all sorts of implications.

Also, your conversation was shallow. Atheists think they're being deep with this shit, but like all nihilists their aesthetic is poor. It's always shit art, shit arguments, shit life outlook, shit idea of virtue, atheism could be considered shit just out of what it does for people.
>>
>>81063987
Atheism is shit precisely because of what it churns out. Man needs something above him. Worshipping yourself leads to stagnation, loss of virtue and nihilism. Even when he accomplishes something there will be no greater meaning behind it. Just another hunk of temporary junk that will be lost to the ages.
>>
>>81063987

Woah buddy, thats a lot of implications. My father is a good guy and we have a good relationship. Its just a topic to talk about occasionally.
>>
>>81063987
>atheism could be considered shit just out of what it does for people
truth doesn't care about your feelings
sure I could just deceive myself, make myself pick some religion to start believing in, but that doesn't change the fact that nobody actually knows the truth. And the fact is most likely death is just the same as the billions or perhaps infinite amount of time you've just never been alive.

No one is trying to be deep or edgy, they've just come to accept that fact. And most people don't ever go around fucking pushing this shit point of view on others it's always other cunts starting arguments or ridiculing you for "not accepting Jesus" or whatever the fuck religion they're part of.
>>
>>81065017
don't pretend that you know the truth.
>>
>>81065241
I never said that
are you dumb?
>>
>>81064435

>worshipping yourself

If I "worshipped" anything, I wouldnt be an atheist, would I you fucking moron?
>>
>>81064435
More so some source of mysticism or unknowable.

OP is just a nihilist.

>>81064702
You asked the question of it's a good idea to convince people not to be religious. I answered.

Religious people only preach when they're told evangelism is their duty, otherwise it's the same deal and they only preach to justify their own beliefs. You have no evangelism imperative so it's easily assumed it's pure self justification for you.

Accept your weakeness of (a lack of) faith.

>>81065017
Some beliefs are more useful than others, pragmatism and optimistic beliefs are useful in themselves. Be slightly more American and research William James.

And no, atheists often prove to be the worst shit pushers. Just shut the fuck up about your lack of belief, you think it demonstrates intelligence but the shit arguments I regularly hear from atheists prove otherwise.

Young religious people rarely talk about religion because the result is always unpleasant, there's always a militant atheist in the room. Your family will talk about religion only because they're you're family and honestly think they're helping you.

Atheists just can't shut up.

>>81065241
This too.

>>81065424
See >>81065017
>truth doesn't care
>just deceive myself
>The fact is most likely death
Looks like you actually believe you know the truth to me.
>>
>>81063379
some people always will need a higher authority. These are the types of people that if given power all of a sudden go on a rampage or immediately start snuffing out those they deem as a threat/competition
>>
Religion (Islam specifically) is going to be the end of the world. If there's one catastrophic flaw about humans it's the need to have a religion. Specifically because muslims are going to destroy the world once they take over Europe.
>>
>>81065241
the irony
>>
Humanity sealed it's fate when Adam & Eve ate the forbidden fruit. Jesus is the way out of our own destruction.
>>
The possibility of hell is probably 1E+99999 times scarier.
>Civilization getting killed by Muslims.
>Not sure if righteous to defend myself.
>Not sure if righteous to do nothing and let my children die.
>trollymoraldillema.jpeg
>Meanwhile "My family's not home, baaabe."
>Wud2do fugg
>>
>>81063379
Atheists are filth. Fucking monkeys. Put a banana in your ass and shut up.
>>
File: Graph-600x483.jpg (27 KB, 600x483) Image search: [Google]
Graph-600x483.jpg
27 KB, 600x483
>>
>>81065959

>your weakness of faith

Faith is believing in things that cant be proven. Like ghosts or magic for instance.

Im okay with the idea of someone performing religious rituals for their own fulfillment or the bettering of society, but I guess it just all seems too good to be true
>>
>>81065917
>"I don't worship anything!"
>obsesses over media, celebrities, extremely prideful
>>
>>81065959
>And no, atheists often prove to be the worst shit pushers. Just shut the fuck up about your lack of belief, you think it demonstrates intelligence but the shit arguments I regularly hear from atheists prove otherwise.

This. I've literally never had a christfag preach at me but when I was in college people would just not shut the fuck up about how they think religion is stupid and they're so smart and blah blah blah. Nobody fucking cares.

If you're an atheist, fine I don't give a shit.
If you're religious, fine I don't give a shit.

Just shut the fuck up about it and don't bother me.
>>
File: iq_vs_religiosity_indiviual.png (72 KB, 605x467) Image search: [Google]
iq_vs_religiosity_indiviual.png
72 KB, 605x467
>>
File: atheism-map.jpg (221 KB, 1248x617) Image search: [Google]
atheism-map.jpg
221 KB, 1248x617
>>
>>81065959
>Just shut the fuck up about your lack of belief
believe me I don't fucking like atheists that push their belief any more than other religions that push their own brand of pudding. However when people try saying their belief is true and I'm damned to their own religion's hell or whatever that barrier breaks and I'd be glad to ruin their day with logic.

>truth doesn't care
>just deceive myself
>The fact is most likely death
>Looks like you actually believe you know the truth to me.
Knowing that most likely everyone is just spouting bullshit because no one knows the truth? Yeah if you'd like to consider that knowing the truth in the same context. But it's not, knowing that you or probably everyone doesn't know is not the same thing as someone saying there actually is X Y or Z deity(s).
>>
>>
>>81067178
Omitted Variable Bias.
>>
File: believe_iq1.jpg (23 KB, 483x332) Image search: [Google]
believe_iq1.jpg
23 KB, 483x332
>>
>>81066928

Woah buddy, watch your mouth

>>81067305

>obsessed with media/celebrities

If you held a gun to my head, I dont know if I could name 10 celebrities. As far as media goes, I don't think I've turned on a television in...4? 5 months?

>prideful

Ive actually been described as shy

Can you respond to any of my points without making untrue assumptions?
>>
>>
>>81063379
Good goyim. Atheism is not just a meme.
>>
File: 1468002899757.png (770 KB, 974x1324) Image search: [Google]
1468002899757.png
770 KB, 974x1324
>>
>>81067388
>>81067460
>>81067585
>>81067841
omitted variable bias.
>>
>>81063379
you'd be terrified too if you just realized your son was retarded
>>
>>81063379
hell isn't something you're "saved" from unless you really love god.

Do you honestly think spending eternity with a god you don't love wouldn't be hell?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kHGg9-gI40
>>
File: a09fig03.jpg (83 KB, 710x605) Image search: [Google]
a09fig03.jpg
83 KB, 710x605
>>
>>81068203

See

>>81067388
If Im retarded, then where does that put religious folks?
>>
>>81067265
Did you actually misquote me by removing the text in the brackets and then use that omission as a source of inconsistency in my post?

Wow, that's intellectual dishonesty I'd expect from an atheist.

>>81067469
>atheist .. belief
>religions .. pudding
Another brilliant atheist argument.

>ruin their day with logic
Classic atheist intelligence signalling. Look at me, I'm smart!

>probably everyone doesn't know
I don't claim to know for certain, that would be insanity and essentially halt the discussion, which isn't very pragmatic.

I do think there's a lot of ideas you can cherry pick from Christian theology and even Hindu theology which pose some very good arguments, but to be honest I've found atheists in general are only willing to contend with arguments they've heard before. They need their canned responses.

>>81067388
>>81067841
This is exactly the intelligence signalling thing, just because you can point at intelligent atheists does not mean you're more intelligent for being an atheist. Like it or not intelligent theists still exist.

Enjoy your bias, it helps your ridiculousness.
>>
>>81064435
Another ignorant christian claiming shit without proof.

What a fucking suprise.
>>
File: ReadingLevelByReligion.png (9 KB, 495x511) Image search: [Google]
ReadingLevelByReligion.png
9 KB, 495x511
>>81068699
>Like it or not intelligent theists still exist.
Like it or not, intelligent niggers exist

>Enjoy your bias, it helps your ridiculousness.
>Relax around blacks, there are good ones out there!
>>
>>81063379

What worth are your words? Whether a man fears to face the unknown or whether he faces his fate with a stoic heart makes no difference. Destruction and peace, nationalism and globalism, Muslim and Jew, are all equal under the knowledge that all is vanity. We are but complex organic chemical reactions. Our souls are worth nothing. Eating from the tree of knowledge brings us no closer to salvation. To free ourselves from the shackles and step forth from the cave is to find ourselves not staring at the sun and illuminating the mysteries of life, it leaves us abandoned in a dead and empty universe. Atheism, nihilism, absurdism and the rest have no purpose to proliferate themselves. You tell other to join you in the light, and offer them nothing when they get there. You reveal to them the light never existed. And whether it did or not would mean nothing. It would simply be arbitrary. I would rather humans live and die as dumb animals then as wasted machines that have analyzed there own programming and realized that there existence were futile.
>>
>>81068699

>intellectual dishonesty

Green text is supposed to be a more simple version of what was original said. Do you know how 4chan works? Are you old enough to be on this website? Do you realize that when you put the parenthesis (not "brackets") back, it doesnt change my point at all?
>>
>>81068518
GDP per capita' explains' 80% of the variation in IQ. Far better than religiosity.
>>
>>81065241
>but that doesn't change the fact that nobody actually knows the truth.

>don't pretend that you know the truth.

You are fucking stupid. Absolutely fucking stupid.
>>
>>81063379
Its ok to be afraid, its ok to let them believe you dont have to force anything on anyone.
>>
>>81066928
Any reason or are you going to just fling poo
>>
>>81069210
That implies that I don't know the truth. Those who don't are culpably ignorant.
You are the blind fool, not me.
>>
>>81063379
>hit too hard
Atheists do this all the fucking time. You lot are just like a fundamental zealot on a mission to convert the "poor ignorant unbelievers".

Arrogant, patronizing, firmly believing you are absolutely right no matter what and shitting on anyone who believes different. In fact I could argue you are worse because even the Mormons that go door to door wish me a nice day after I tell them I'm not interested
>>
>>81069547
What is the truth
>>
>>81063379
That pic sounds like how leftists unironically describe ISIS and "moderate" Muslims.
>>
File: Physician-Suicide-letters.jpg (197 KB, 1024x678) Image search: [Google]
Physician-Suicide-letters.jpg
197 KB, 1024x678
>>81063379
In all my years of going into this subject, the most common argument I hear is:
>Well if God doesn't exist then there are no consequences for your actions, so why shouldn't we all just lie, rape, kill, and steal shit as much as we want?

Does that answer your question?
>>
>>81069638
No actual argument?

Ok. Have a nice day.
>>
>>81068942
The difference is there isn't a culture of the anti intellectuality amongst the religious. For all we know the higher rates of atheism in the better educated gen x and y are an extraneous variable against the baby boomers who are less educated and more religious.

Correlation and causation faggot.

Nice non sequitur with the black argument though, made me reply.

You're still a fallacious faggot.

>>81069126
You literally omitted the entire quote to better support your argument about faith being positive belief in things, when it's clear I already anticipated that in the first place by using brackets.

If I have to spell it out, you're not actually worth my time.
>>
>>81069782
Lol autism. You do realize god is just believe ing in being mortal right? No one who is a believer is scared of dying.
>>
>>81069782
I didn't come to make an argument you arrogant twat I was answering OPs question
>>
>>81068704

Nah. Im not into the whole, "internet activism," thing. Its kind of gay. Ive shared my perspective with muslims IRL tho
>>
>>81069787
Are you a Christian?
>>
>>81069787
Occam's razor retard, you only invoke this correlation is not causation double standard when it benefits you. Face it, people are getting more intelligent and your old theism is dying old man!
>>
>>81067265
If you think you live your life without faith, you're sorely mistaken.

Unless you personally empirically validate everything you assume to be fact yourself, which is impossible.
>>
>>81068699
>but to be honest I've found atheists in general are only willing to contend with arguments they've heard before. They need their canned responses.
Literally the same rhetoric can be said for any group or idea even yours. Funny how you think your flavor...
>religions .. pudding
>Another brilliant atheist argument
oh wait I can't use metaphors because you're too stupid to understand that.

But anyway I've found long long ago that literally everything that has ever been said in any argument as old as the religion debate has in some way shape or form been said before. Do you really think most of the ideas you have about the religion debate are genuinely new? I feel sorry for you m8.
>>
>>81063379
>sin is what I'll do to you if...
Nah
>>
File: image.jpg (126 KB, 671x645) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
126 KB, 671x645
>>81063379
we all made a horrible mistake
i am now a #cruzmissile
>>
>>81069966
Autism? How does that make any sense with what i said?
>>
https://youtu.be/QuPsxFklxaw
>>
>>81063379
Do you realize how despicable it is for you to actually imagine that YOU'RE the one imparting life's hard truths?

You're talking about your father.

Breathtakingly disrespectful.

Arrogant.
>>
>>81070158
>thinks bringing up the 3 basic assumptions in science is an argument
>>
>>81070133
Does it actually matter?

>>81070143
Occams razor is used to conclude, not to rebut. It always makes me facepalm when some miseducated git pulls this one out.

>>81070160
No, I think genuinely intelligent people of any demographic can form an argument without needing to expect canned material.

You can use metaphors, but using them one sidedly is sophistry. How is it that me pointing out your sophistry makes me an idiot?
>>
>>81069659
Objectivity does exist.
Think about the philosophical implications that has.
Of course there is much more to it, but then again it's not my responsibility to teach you.
Good luck. :)
>>
>>81070603
>Does it actually matter?
Yes. What you believe is relevant so we can understand from where you are positing your argument
>>
>>81070603
>rebuttals can't be conclusions blah blah useless mind games
Face it, you're getting old, your theism is retarded, and morality can finally be developed rigorously through philosophy. We don't need your primitive metaphorical commands
>>
File: 1465078142502.png (14 KB, 570x533) Image search: [Google]
1465078142502.png
14 KB, 570x533
>>81069787
>You literally omitted the entire quote to better support your argument about faith being positive belief in things, when it's clear I already anticipated that in the first place by using brackets.

>If I have to spell it out, you're not actually worth my time.

Okay little buddy, just for you...

>>81065959

>You asked the question of it's a good idea to convince people not to be religious. I answered.

Your entire premise is wrong. Its my family members who consistently ask, "Are you still atheist?" Typically, they like to push my buttons that way. Your entire ideal of my character is a few degrees off

>Religious people only preach when they're told evangelism is their duty, otherwise it's the same deal and they only preach to justify their own beliefs. You have no evangelism imperative so it's easily assumed it's pure self justification for you.

What if instead of it being self justification, I'm just using my families line of questioning to explore my own thought process. Its not self justification, its self discovery

>Accept your weakeness of (a lack of) faith.

I already answered this

Just as a friendly FYI, when people cut out part of your posts in greentext, its because your point wasnt worth the time it takes to respond to
>>
>>81063379
Atheism is the ultimate blue pill.
It's lazy philosophy for children that don't like to scratch beyond the surface.
Btw saged this is a /b/ thread. This isn't /pol/
>>
>>81069993
You didnt answer any question you silly, you got on your soapbox and talked about a group of people who dont agree with you. He had a discussion with his dad and shared the story here, there wasnt any arrogance in the post.
>>
>>81063379
>let me save you

literally Israel's sales pitch after terror attacks
>>
>>81070603
That is NOT sophistry you fuck because the metaphor in the context I was using it does not work with Agnosticism. There is no pudding to buy into, you simply don't eat any pudding because they all taste like shit.
>>
File: 1465091886473.png (13 KB, 555x407) Image search: [Google]
1465091886473.png
13 KB, 555x407
>>81069787

>there isnt a culture of anti intellectuality amongst the religious

So then how do you explain the museum in Missouri that teaches that Dinosaurs walked the Earth with Jesus, or the man who spent $100,000,000 to recreate Noah's Arc, or the fact that you dont know its pronounced "intellectualism?"
>>
>>81070904
Not an argument.

>>81070973
Yes, there is a clause for family members about your beliefs, this is because they actually care about your angsty, nihilistic, selfish asshole. The only reason an atheist has to preach is to justify his own beliefs or lack thereof.

>because your point wasn't worth the time
And now the hollier than thou shit, you now claim you're too important to respond to me immediately after doing just that. This is by far the most childish way you can end an argument, but after condescending me and abusing fallacies, I'm not surprised.
>>
>>81070725
Well its fine if you cant, but you asserting things and then running off without giving evidence to support you claim seems like a weird thing to do.
>>
>>81063379
Johnson has an argument against "redpill atheism"

>"Sir he lies! Put a pistol to his breast and see with what equanimity he faces death."
>>
>>81071104
Oh forgive me master I should have known better than to share my thoughts after OP shared his. And telling him that yes he did "hit too hard" as he asked was not answering a question somehow. You have clearly won this imaginary internet fight so I will just wander on to another thread after being shown the error of my ways through your glorious logical brilliance
>>
>>81071839
>>
>>81071539
That's dogmatism and Protestantism, I should have said "necessarily a culture..." because you're right scriptural absolutists are also guilty of a form of nihilism that shuts down conversation. All their opinions and beliefs becomes the book and they become nothing at all except mouthpieces of it.

Your shit absolutely doesn't refute that there are intelligent theists out there and there's nothing stopping an intelligent person becoming a theist or a theist becoming an intelligent person. This false equivalence of intelligence and atheism is part of the trick of why it's so persuasive, you actually believe being an atheist makes you more intelligent.

No, nihilistically formed beliefs of any kind are indications of the lowest intelligence.
>>
>>81071596

I didnt "end the argument"

Im just explaining the culture of 4chan to you

>>81071839

Im a lineman dude (high voltage power line worker). I face death on my job every day. I have no clue what you are trying to imply
>>
>>81071839
Mr. Wilson contended that people should never rule out any possibility, including that lasagna might fly. On Jan. 6, in his last post on his personal blog, he wrote: “I don’t see how to take death seriously. I look forward without dogmatic optimism, but without dread. I love you all and I deeply implore you to keep the lasagna flying.”
>>
>>81063379
>let me save you
>from what i'll do to you if you don't worship me
OK... so let's think about what the second part of this... the concept of worship can be seen as a kind of subservience and submission from one sentient entity to another. in the case of christian theology this is between the person and God. but, i think, more generally, the concept of worship means: to hold something in a particular regard, in this case, with a sense of reverence. so, it should read...
>regard these particular things with reverence, or you're damned
if you think about what christianity preaches, and what things it holds reverently, i think most will find them very agreeable. upholding virtues like trustworthiness, loyalty, good will to men, righteous rejection of evil, strength in the face of a sordid world, courage through faith, etc, are all (IMO) the most important guides to life as a person out there.

of course, it's always possible to make arguments against the ethics of God giving the person free will to choose between reverence and damnation, but these really strike me as excuses that defend a way of looking at the events of the world without positing accountability. and i don't like that way of looking at the world, even though this decay of accountability in societal practice that is noticeable nowadays seems to be gaining ground every day
>think: arguments excusing certain actions on the grounds that the person committing them did not come from "privilege", and the ways that accountability factors into these ethical arguments.
i think it is indicative of degeneracy to accept arguments that serve to reduce accountability, except when justified. i see the collapse of the west as a failure to identify which arguments are justified and which are not.
>example of justified argument against accountability. i'm not to blame for my car hitting your car, a car behind me slammed into me at a red light.
>>
>>81072415
I understand well, I also understand it's actually easier to quote the whole thing instead of meticulously take out the parts within the quote.

You misquoted me, are you really that spineless that you can't admit it?

This thread itself proves my point. There aren't many good, positive arguments for or against theism, but there are any fallacies, sophistry and abuse of information that the atheists are eager to employ. This is how they argue, they're so assured they're correct and know the truth that, like the extreme left, intellectual dishonesty becomes permissible.
>>
>>81071024
That's stupid tell me good sir which out of the thousands of religions should I begin to study and worship? Should I pick the most popular one cause that's Islam? Should I pick the ones with most evidence? Should that choice be percentage based? Should I pick the one that's most moral on average for the society I'm part of? Should I pick the one that just fits into the beliefs I already hold?

Tell me good sir.
>>
>>81063379
>Are there just some people who will never be capable of handling the red pill? Is it wrong to make them try and swallow it?

Yes. Yes.

My mom told me she saw angels and talked to them. I tried to talk sense into her and she got distraught. I never mentioned or acknowledged it again

People who don't have genius IQ or approaching-genius IQ are basically livestock. They cannot use information to make decisions. They are incapable of it.
>>
>>81072930

Nigger, I responded to your post in full when you took issue with it. What more could you possibly want. Holy fuck. Youve ignored some good points yourself
>>
>>81071707
Read the works of Platinga, Hume, Aquinas, Anderson, and Mentzer (all philosophers). I honestly cannot shove their entire works into even several large posts.
>>
>>81063961
Because we're human, and not beasts? I realize that we're all animals, but our intelligence and conscience thought/self-awareness is what puts us on another plane than them.
>>
>>81065959
>Young religious people rarely talk about religion because the result is always unpleasant, there's always a militant atheist in the room

This
>>
>>81073431

The thing is, I really respect theologians because they have some great insight on the interactions between good and evil (not because of their faith necessarily, but because of the amount of time the spend considering it)

However, this appears to be a Platinga quote

"It is possible that God, even being omnipotent, could not create a world with free creatures who never choose evil."

Okay, fine, then whats the point of calling him omnipotent?

The funny thing is, as an atheist, I am actually open to the idea that there is a slim (.00000001%) chance that the Christian god is real and is almost exactly as described in the bible. I just thin if there is a creature who made us in our image, that doesnt necessarily make him the most powerful being in the universe, and it doesnt mean we couldnt stand up to him

After all, why was he so afraid of us eating the apple of knowledge? What was he afraid of us learning? The limits of his power?
>>
>>81073516

Tiger gotta run
Bird gotta fly
Man gotta wonder, why why why?
>>
>>81065917
the "god" of the atheistic religion is the self, since there is no other thing that could matter.
>>
>>81071899
And you shitting on people that dont agree with you, instead of some useful unbiased something would be relevant. OP waant being a faggot, if the script was flipped i would be dumb for an atheist to say anythig close to what you did. We get it, you blindly dont like atheists. Nobody gives a shit.
>>
File: geralt xD.jpg (120 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
geralt xD.jpg
120 KB, 1920x1080
>>81074321
>theists can't comprehend a life without worship so assumes atheists worship themselves
>>
>>81073431
Could philosophy ever make your claim true? They dont have any refuting side to discuss with?

Your claim isnt proven. You being lazy IS proven.
>>
>>81074151
this is a very petty critique, and you are providing it as a means to argue against the accountability of people who knowingly break divine command. since divine command is by definition good, despite however bizarre that may seem (consider Abraham's willingness to sacrifice Isaac being lauded as moral behavior), knowingly breaking divine command is knowingly committing wrong action. if you subscribe to "what is Good is what God says is Good," then you're not faced with any problems about reducing the accountability of knowingly defying divine command. if you consider Abraham's willingness to kill Isaac to be immoral, then you allow for a moral action which breaks divine command, on the grounds that divine command does not dictate morality; something can be Good despite God saying it is not Good. and again, this only presents a problem if you reject a might makes right picture of how Goodness and God relate. but i don't reject that picture, and Abraham's willingness to kill Isaac is indeed moral behavior despite seeming immoral at first glance.
>>
>>81072126
>This false equivalence of intelligence and atheism is part of the trick of why it's so persuasive
>you actually believe being an atheist makes you more intelligent.
Did ya know that I didn't know what the word "atheism" meant until I discovered a Yahoo chat room?
I didn't even know that there were people out there just like me who found themselves in the extraordinarily awkward position of being incapable of taking the descriptions of God that everyone in my life had given me, but I didn't argue, because I was convinced that it would happen some day if I just kept rolling along with it. I thought "atheist" literally meant "a follower of Satan", because that's the way that atheists were always portrayed to me.

So when I went into this religious debate chat room and I started arguing with the people there under the beliefs about the meaning of atheism that I was trained to have, you have to imagine my reaction. It seemed to me that there was some kind of massive conspiracy to erase skepticism and disbelief from the face of the Earth. And I find it confirmed every fucking day.

You know why atheists will never fuck off and leave you alone? Because you'll never be satisfied with that. You won't be satisfied until you've peer-pressured and redefined all meaning until everyone believes that "atheism" isn't real.

I'm not intelligent because I'm an atheist, wise guy. I'm an atheist because I'm intelligent.
>>
>>81063379
The red pill is being religious, losing your religion, and then finding God again through a greater understanding than you had before.
The rabbit hole is quite deep and to learn beyond what we know we must die.
The end where you return to God is quite distant and not all memories will carry through to heaven.
To die would be the end for your physical self, heaven or no.
>>
>>81075063
LOL
>I'm not intelligent because I'm an atheist, wise guy. I'm an atheist because I'm intelligent.
>first commandment: I am the Lord thy God... etc
atheism is disobedience to God, it has nothing to do with intelligence. it is evil in virtue of breaking divine command.
>>
>>81075170
Honest understanding of reality is the redpill. What you sacrifice to believe in what you do is not honest, in the same way blm thinks theyre right in what they do and how theyre represented in the media.
>>
>>81075567
Newsflash: If deities aren't real, then there's nothing there to disobey.
>>
>>81070456

One of the big moments of becoming an adult is realizing that your parents are just normal people

I have a lot of respect for my father. He taught me about work ethic and was a good provider. It doesnt mean hes an expert in everything, or that I cant converse with him on topics we disagree over
>>
>>81075567
Atheism is a lack of belief due to no evidence. What is relevant here regarding the first commandment?
>>
>>81075005

I dont think Abraham obeying god is moral or immoral. I just think its stupid. And if he had gone through with it, he would have unlocked the darwin hat-trick award
>>
>>81075567
God is the far right wing dictator of all morality :^)

fuck the enlightenment.
>>81075752
what do you mean by "not real"? it doesn't feel real when you knowingly defy God and do something wrong? keep telling yourself that :^)
>>
>>81076012
failure to believe in the Lord thy God, under any circumstances, is a sin.
>>
>>81076060
dumb, boring, shallow answer. i bet you lead a very rich inner life, anon :^)
>>
>>81069062
3deep5me
>>
>>81076177

You believe the 10 commandments are the only reason murder feels wrong?

Also, to be quite desu, I could break the first 3 commandments and not feel anything other than amusement if it was a particularly unique way of disobeying.
>>
>>81063379
The real Red Pill is realizing immortality will probably be available to the rich within our lifetimes, and doing everything you can to become wealthy enough to afford it for yourself and those you care about.
>>
>>81076243
Thou shalt have no other gods =/= atheism. Not believing in him is a sin in the bible, though.
>>
>>81076177
>:^)
It's obvious at this point that you're intentionally being frustrating to get a rise out of me.

Not much of a surprise, I'm already aware that's what most of you are doing.

Enjoy trolling those fedoras, anon, but I can see your tophat.
>>
>>81064435
I'm an atheist and I agree with you.
>>
>>81064435
Atheism usually leads to humanism anon.

There's nothing wrong with freedom.
>>
>>81076484
I believe murder feels wrong because God commanded us not to do it, except when justified. Why is that so hard to fathom?
>>81076549
that is a contemporary version, the older version of the texts start with the clause that "I am the Lord thy God,". "Don't have other God's" is not the same as the full 1st commandment, which commands belief in God.
>>
>>81076651
mmmmmmk anon. God will be there for you when you decide to live righteously and acknowledge his ultimate authority.
>>
>>81076326

I go with the Occam's razor approach because its the best way to leave christ-fags without a response. Notice how your post is completely ad hom

My 3deep5u response is that God was not immoral in giving Abraham the instruction, since the child was in no harm either way. It was immoral for Abraham to inflict harm upon his own son, but I forgive him for it if he truly thought his mortality was at stake.

The simplest answer I can give you is that people who believe God is telling them to kill their children need to be institutionalized
>>
>>81065959
I trying to be militant, but just imagine if some fuckwit was going on about how he worships Poseidon, wouldn't you call him out for his shit? He'd get offended.
Like yeah Poseidon obviously doesn't exist, but the only thing Christians have is sheer number of supporters, an I can understand why it's infuriating to many people
>>
>>81076832

>why is that so hard to fathom

I can fathom it easily. I just dont believe it
>>
>>81076706
Likewise. Intelligence is a curse inside of a blessing. Not a day goes by that i don't slightly envy the state of mind some people have regarding knowing all the answers after death.

Intelligence is the pursuit of knowledge regarding our reality at the loss of gratification from it.
>>
>>81070456
You either dont have children, or you havent cared for anyone. No father wants his kid to parrot him, he wants better for his kid. If he cant handle a differing idea then hes no man to begin with.

Its not arrogant or disrespectful to have a discussion about this topic? I get you would rather everyone not think about it and just be a good theist, but im pretty glad not many people think like you.

Talk about despicable.
>>
>>81063379
It's a redpill that doesn't help anyone though, the ideological advantages being atheistic provides are nil, it's better to leave people to their religions, let them be happy
>>
>>81076832
If god made sin "feel wrong" why is masturbation/drug abuse sinful?
Also doesn't making certain actions He doesn't like "feel bad" doesn't that violate free will?
For reference I believe thousands of years of evolution and societal development led to certain actions "feeling bad".
>>
>>81077313
okay, well that's nice. i think you are wrong in your believing otherwise.
>>81077135
that's not remotely deep, and it's not even particularly getting at the real meat of that parable, which is whether things are Right by virtue of God's authority, or Right in some other sense. you're arguing that things are Right in some other sense. which again, i think you are wrong in this belief.
>>
>>81063379
>The fear of a man who was for the first time giving serious thought to his mortality

Man, if you haven't had an existential crisis about mortality by age 12 you're never gonna make it in life.
>>
>>81078014
Made me chuckle heartily
>>
>>81077651
why is it sinful? because God commands us not to do it.

don't understand your second point

third point: OK. then you don't believe that what is Right comes from God's authority. i think you are wrong.
>>
>>81065241
> irony: the post

No one knows but if heaven is real and people like Pat Robertson and others like him go to heaven you can send me to hell tyvm.
>>
File: king pepe the VIII.jpg (55 KB, 400x393) Image search: [Google]
king pepe the VIII.jpg
55 KB, 400x393
>>81077831

So right now, a 6'5" navy seal tells you that God commanded him to kill his child. He says he is going to a mountain to perform the act tonight. Then he slaps your girlfriends ass

What do you do?
>>
>>81078281
if I am being obedient to God, I would kill his child. Since what God commands is Good, and Good acts are not sins, and since, if I am being obedient to God, I should not commit sins, I would kill his child.
>>
>>81065959
> athiest just cant shut up

Oh man I know right? Those 5 different athiest shows that come on every morning on TV are getting ridiculous.

/sarcasam off
>>
>>81078281
O WAIT LOL u said he wanted to kill his child, not me kill his child. same difference... well, as long as all of the above was true, and God really did command that, I would not want to get in the way of God's commandment, so I wouldn't do anything.
>>
>>81076832
You arent using any moral judgements then? Do you never utilize your own morality or just assume god is right
>>
>>81063379
>"...and then I tipped my fedora and said, 'we're just a tiny speck of dust in a big universe.'"

t. 14 year old
>>
>>81063379
Nah, he was living a lie anyways. The only way to gain inner peace is through truth.
>>
>>81078789
This is why im an atheist. Holy shit, you are fucked up. Please seek help.
>>
>>81078943
>I use my "own morality" when it coincides with what God commands. when it does not, I do not acknowledge my "own morality" as the reference class to be consulted for a course of action. for example: my "own morality" might permit me to commit an evil for a greater good, such as robbing a bank to feed the poor. this would be unacceptable unless God commanded it.
>>
>>81079185
no. and that's not an argument anon :^)
>>
File: 1468104890385.jpg (12 KB, 406x422) Image search: [Google]
1468104890385.jpg
12 KB, 406x422
>>81078789
>>81078597

No, thats not what Im saying. God didnt tell *you* anything. He told the navy seal. You have to take his word for it.

And your gonna let him slap your girls ass like that and just let him get away to kill his son?

cluck

>>81079082

Your religion is literally a propaganda tool to train you to be loyal to your king/nation-state

All the tenants of Christianity make for docile and obedient slaves
>>
>>81078194
1. If murder feels bad because it is a sin shouldn't other sins feel bad? I used masturbation as an example, but this could easily extend to the billions of people around the world who don't keep the Sabbath and don't feel bad about it.
I could go on about all the crimes which could feel good to either many or few people, you get the gist
3. There is so much that I would consider morally wrong that supposedly came from god's authority, which in your eyes makes it objectively right. Barbaric bronze age laws, slavery and genocide are all present and willed by god in the old testament.
>>
>>81078194
>why is it sinful? because God commands us not to do it.
Your stupid. He was saying that if murder feels wrong becasue god made it feel wrong, then why does masturbation and drugs feel good?

>>81078597
>if I am being obedient to God,
How can you tell it's god or not?
>>
>>81079340
Dot make me agree with you after you say that. Ish.
>>
>>81079411
if God really did tell him to kill his son, that's the right thing to happen. God dictates what is right and wrong.

If I had to take his word on it, then it would be on me to judge how truthful his words were. i would ask God what the right verdict is on his truthfulness in saying that God commanded him to kill kill his son.
>>
>>81079449
masturbation doesn't feel bad? maybe you've become desensitized to sin, anon. and not keeping the sabbath... tsk tsk.

yep. it's possible God didn't actually command those things, but if he truly did, they are all right.
>>
>>81065959
Please just die so you can see the truth for yourself ( instead of trying to rub your " inteligence" on other people). Please do, we dont need you.
>>
>>81071024
The worst thing about atheism is that they rarely question themselves if they are wrong about things. They always believe they are right, no matter what. No self doubt. Hence why many modern ideologies depend on atheism. (See Feminism, Communism, Progressivism)
>>
>>81063379

A) You're a fucking autist.

B) There is no fucking way life happened by random chance + natural forces in this universe. Stop hiding from the math that absolutely wrecks Darwin's little theory.

That doesn't necessarily mean "hurr durr 7 days", but it does mean some being or beings not of this universe, being(s) at the power level of a "god", acted within this universe.

C) You're a fucking autist. (No. Seriously. Get tested.)
>>
>>81079672

I think thats actually not a bad answer, but I simply propose that when you pray, its not god who is answering
>>
>>81079454
how could I tell? well, that would be between God and I. how can you tell when to trust a friend that it's him on the other end of the phone when he calls to ask something that seems very unusual of him (as God asking Abraham to kill Isaac was)
>>
>>81063379
Atheism is the blue pill.
>>
File: flying-lineman.jpg (120 KB, 636x313) Image search: [Google]
flying-lineman.jpg
120 KB, 636x313
>>81080030

No, you are the autist

Haha
>>
>>81080058
okay, well that's between God and I, and that unique binary is within everyone's unique mental life.
>>
>>81079291
Your morality doesnt just randomly cease to exist. Do you wonder how atheists do the same things you do without a god? And your god is ok with you committing evil? Thats not moral.
>>
>>81080082

Unlike God, most people have seen their friends in real life, recognize their voice, and can later confirm whether or not it was their friend

Unfortunately, that is not how God works
>>
>>81074514
A man without gods would value their importances over others. In essence they are worshiping themselves.
>>
>>81080030
What math? if you are going to cherry pick a religion, at least you admit it.
>>
>>81080473

I can pretty certainly say that I dont value my importance over others. In fact, I realize Im more or less completely unimportant. Thats why I work a job that is incredibly dangerous and hard on the body. Basically as a sacrifice to all of you people (well, Im not gonna lie, being an outdoor lineman is fun as fuck)
>>
>>81079454
masturbation and drugs are hedonistic sins. the sense in which they "feel good" IS their sin. in one case, it is unchaste, and in the other it is roughly analogous to drunkenness, which God commands against. just because they physically feel good does not mean the sense of moral wrong they give is any less real.
>>
>>81063379
If you label yourself as atheist, you are not redpilled in ANY WAY whatsoever.
>>
>>81080473
In literally no way is this true, but please keep blindly asserting it.
>>
>>81063379
Do you remember life before you were born?
>no
That's what death is like
>>
>>81080215
>In this moment, I am euphoric.
>Not because of any phony god’s blessing.
>But because I tried to convince my father he will cease to exist after he dies.
>And made my mother cry.
>>
>>81063379
>Are there just some people who will never be capable of handling the red pill?
Redpill meme is about truth
Whats the ultimate truth? God exists.
>>
>>81080731
We dont believe in fairy tales.
>>
File: 1465787111710.jpg (73 KB, 875x387) Image search: [Google]
1465787111710.jpg
73 KB, 875x387
>>81080966

*yawning intensifies*
>>
>>81080966
>1000 hours in ms paint
>>
File: James-Garner.jpg (13 KB, 432x342) Image search: [Google]
James-Garner.jpg
13 KB, 432x342
>>81080731
If you shy away from being associated with undesirable people on the basis of a label alone, you're a coward.

Don't paint that "hiding your power level" shit as anything else.
>>
File: 1451207906425.jpg (214 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1451207906425.jpg
214 KB, 640x480
>>81063379
>>
>>81069715
so because we aren't being judged, we should be horrible people even by our own standards?

the kind of people who use this line of reasoning are morally bankrupt and only comply out of fear.
>>
>>81080430
even if I had seen a friend, recognized his voice etc, what's to stop me from saying something like
>i picked up the phone, it was my friend, he commanded me to do something unusual
>i think "well, maybe he has a gun to his head or something, in which case this isn't really HIM commanding me to do something, ie: it is against his will."

i was asking in this sense. you could make up a million different scenarios that might make you doubt whether your friend was giving you an autonomous command, as God's commands are... but past a point, you would act according to or against the words of said command. if you were to act in accordance with the command, it would be very difficult to explain why/how you were able to discredit any of the possible doubts you had about whether he was genuinely giving an unusual command. i think the sometimes unusual commands God gives, when carried out according to his authority, are like this.
>>
>>81081039
Great, now provide evidence for this claim.
>>
>>81079843
I think you'd have to be insane to happily worship a deity who commands genocide and calls it morally right 'because he said so'
Masturbation feels good to everyone, that's why people do it.
The majority of humans are not Christian and quite happily will ignore the Sabbath while following their own particular belief system. They don't feel bad, I don't feel bad, we don't care.
>>81080473
I don't worship any god, or myself. Being an atheist doesn't make you a narcissist, and it's still possible to hold the same values through common sense.
>>81080728
Again 5 billion people don't give a fuck about the sabbath.
I'm not trying to go too deep from this angle, just saying that how something feels doesn't correlate to its morality from a Christian standpoint
>>
>>81063379
A true atheist knows that religion is not true BUT doesn't care if others believe or not because the end outcome is the same you dumass. In fact people are better off being religious because it gives them a purpose in life and an act as a coping mechanism.
>>
>>81081363
Of course.

So pulling them out of the psychological trap that keeps them in line clearly carries risks.

That's why I let him make that determination.
>>
>>81063961
>>81073516

I enjoy watching idiot 1 converse with idiot 2 as if both idiots 1 and 2 are in fact very smart.

Nigga if there wasn't any death, ever, you'd go fucking insane and start to murder people. Please don't be so dense and embarrassingly naive.
>>
>>81063379
Yes, one should never force the red-pill. There are even some that take the red-pill but want to go back. All these chr*stcucks are just like Cypher and will try to kill you because they're afraid of reality and the unknown.
>>
>>81081436
>Religion.
>Asking for evidence.

LOL.
>>
>>81081590
Yes, deflect with something irrelevant.
>>
>>81081496
ok. i don't care about your petty conception of sanity because i don't acknowledge your authority on what makes right actions.
so? it's a sin
yep, they're sinners, and caring about whether you have a sprained ankle is different than feeling that your ankle is sprained; i think you are desensitized to sin, like them.

and those 5 billion people are committing sin every sabbath.
>>
>>81080528
>What math?

Odds of abiogenesis: 1 in 10^450
Odds of evolution by mutation/natural selection to the complexity level of a modern mammal: 1 in 10^3,000,000
Number of atoms in the universe: 10^80
Number of potential chemical reactions since the Big Bang: 10^120

The odds come from Marcel E. Golay. I've looked up other estimates, but they are WORSE. (For a more current author, Michael Denton pretty much mathematically rapes mutation+natural selection in his works.)

If this universe was a sim with true random inputs you would not expect to see abiogenesis even if you ran it 10^100 times.

If this universe was unbounded and infinite you would get abiogenesis. But habitable zones cannot last long enough for evolution to the complexity levels we observe on Earth. And that's a constraint governed by physical laws, not randomness.

Life did not originate in this universe.

Something from another universe seeded this universe with life.

It's a damn good bet that bursts in the fossil record (Cambrian explosion) were genetic "upgrades."

What we call evolution is not random nor "natural" as evolutionists define natural. It's a designed system exploring options for survival. A genetic search algorithm.

As for which religion? While I hardly agree with everything in modern Christianity, my faith is in Christ. Yes, I went through a period of doubting this. Yes, I looked at the evidence (historical; archeological; comparing his teachings with what I find to be true of human nature and the world). Yes, I believe he is the Son of God as he claimed.

But I can't offer any scientific evidence for that. What I can tell you scientifically is that life could never "just happen" in this universe given these physical laws. Darwin would have had no way to know this. Today's evolutionary biologists have no excuse for not knowing it.
>>
>>81081720
I agree. Yet all i hear are unproven claims. Im not suprised.
>>
>>81081508
If I told you I believed in an enormous golden dildo buried under my house and offered no proof you'd say I was an idiot.
If I said it gave me comfort and a purpose in life what then?
What if I told you that I didn't want to live in a universe in which there wasn't an enormous golden dildo buried under my house?
That's right, I'd still be an idiot.
And so would everyone else who believed it, even if there were billions of us.
There are so many falsehoods that could give people comfort, but the bottom line is that they simply aren't true.
>>
>>81081111
>>81081292
>why can't i into google?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=autism+atheism+link
>>
>>81063379
Hello! I haven't read much of the thread, but I would like to give my opinion in the hopes that it helps others understand at least my thought process on why I believe in god. To put it simply, I think the universe is far to complex for there not to be a higher power. I only claim to believe this. I do not say it is fact. My problem with atheism, and why I am not an atheist (other than the reasons stated above) is that there is nothing to prove my belief in a higher power wrong. I realize there is no fact to prove a higher power true. I simply believe it, or rather, have faith in the idea.
>>
>>81081496
also, this stuff about "feeling" is not about a thermometer that God puts in us to gauge when an action is sinful. the only thermometer God gives us is to act in complete accordance with his command to know one's own righteousness. if God genuinely commanded you to smoke cocaine and masturbate, you would be righteous in doing so.
>>
>>81081860

Nigga, it wouldn't matter if the chance of life occurring in the universe was 1: 10^500^500^500^500. Regardless of how low the chance was, the fact that we are here to contemplate it means that the insanely tiny likelihood was hit, the lottery was won. If it wasn't, we wouldn't be having this conversation anyway.

Anyway, as an Agnostic-Atheist I'm mostly on the "Where's the evidence?" side of the fence, but I can say with 99.99999% that any God that may exist is not any God of Man.
>>
>>81082114
if God commanded this of you, you would be in one of the "unusual commands" that i'm talking about here
>>81081407
>>
>>81081860
OK but if the universe hadn't worked out exactly as it had, we wouldn't exactly be here would we?
The simple fact that we exist to marvel at our own existence requires that all these astronomical probabilities have been fulfilled, if you can understand what I'm trying to say.
Imagine Russian roulette with a million chambers and one empty slot. After pulling the trigger you're either dead or amazed at how lucky you were.there is no situation in which you are annoyed at your bad luck, because you'd be dead
>>
>>81082039

Theres also a link between atheism and higher IQ, but I dont see you rushing to claim that correlation

>>81082110

I dont think most atheists are bothered by your type of faith.

>>81082114

u wut ma8
>>
atheism is edgy
>>
>>81080430
>>81081407
oh, also, unlike your friend, God is the absolute authority on what is moral, so just keep this in mind in proceeding through the analogy.
>>
File: okadaaaaaaaaaaaaa.png (2 MB, 1335x2000) Image search: [Google]
okadaaaaaaaaaaaaa.png
2 MB, 1335x2000
>>81081539
lelwat

So the longer the live, the more insane you get and more likely you are to go out and kill people?

That must be why we have all those old serial killers going out in their wheel chairs with their shotties.

Sure, the more you live, more chances you have to kill, but time does not strip you of your morality, rather, it strengthens it most often.
>>
File: freedom fighter.jpg (18 KB, 343x342) Image search: [Google]
freedom fighter.jpg
18 KB, 343x342
>>81081590
I support you, but I don't have the patience to put up with Twitter users.

I stay on my "ironic nazi" echo-chamber, not because I'm afraid to face opinions that I disagree with, or because I find them offensive, but because this cancerous culture where everyone, even white people, attempt to narrate everything in a contest to see who can achieve the number one position in "most victimized group", coupled with a liberal fear complex where they sit there and tell you that confronting Islam with firearms and frowns instead of a naive altruistic agenda will have me shutting off the computer and assembling munitions.

And while that's probably something I should be doing anyway, I'm hoping to postpone it until my kids are old enough to understand why.
>>
>>81081096
What specifically do you not believe in? I know the definition of atheism means "not believing in a God" and that single belief is understandable depending on that person's own concept of God, but for atheists, it's usually just "hurr durr thars no bearded sky wizerd xDD".

Obviously fucking not. By the way I'm speaking from experience, I was an atheist for the majority of my life when I literally did not understand anything whatsoever. Not anymore. I still don't resonate with any one particular religion, I get something out of pretty much all of them(besides kikes and mudslimes). The main point is if you're an atheist yet your only understanding of this reality is completely materialism based, and you baselessly reject all aspects of spirituality / have no concept of any 'higher power', all for the reason of having experienced Christian stupidity, you are an arrogant bastard. No, you haven't "cracked the code" you retards. You don't know shit. You have no fucking idea. And your irrational, preconceived, biased beliefs(many subconscious) are literally barring you from being able to perceive other concepts that would be mentally beneficial for you to accept. Atheism is a form of cognitive dissonance. Hell, it is exactly what the Luciferians in the NWO want you to think.

>>81081301
I said that because the moment you "believe" in something that you have no reason to believe in, INCLUDING ATHEISM, you fucked up.
>>
>>81082251
Agree with this.

Problem is, religion is how humanity divvies up meatsacks to play COD modern economic/socio-class warfare 3:blm ops.

The virus that killed evolution of the human mind.
>>
>>81082383

The thing I always hilarious about religious people is that it has to be THEIR God.
>"Sure, maybe some God unknown to Man seeded the Universe with life, or created it as a simulation. I can't work with that, it's a possibility"
>"No no no not some God, MY GOD."
>>
>>81081096
>it's this meme again
>>
>>81082114
See a god who is always right just seems like tyranny to me.
Also how do you know what god's laws are? Did he tell you personally or do you use the Bible?
>>
>>81082451
what God commands is right, regardless of how unusual or counter-intuitive it might seem in our limited earthly perspective. God does not need to provide any justification for moral action other than than his divine authority.
>>
>>81082588

If the Christian god is real, then Luciferianism is the only logical path. Does that answer your question?
>>
>>81082803
Moral action is absolute an tyrannical, which is what makes it perfect.
I use the Bible, and consult with God about what I am to take from His Word.
>>
>>81082588
Any intelligent atheist will happily admit we don't know everything about the universe.
It's usually the religious who insist on filling the blanks with unsubstantiated claims about their particular brand of religion, until since develops and proves it wrong in that area.
>>
>>81082991
God will be there for you when you decide on righteous salvation in accordance with His Command. :^)
>>
>>81082991
No it doesn't you're literally just an edgelord.
>>
File: pols_big_day.jpg (152 KB, 649x730) Image search: [Google]
pols_big_day.jpg
152 KB, 649x730
>>81083148

mhm
>>
>>81081860
Now those are some as pulled statistics if I've ever seen them.
>>
>>81081860
Saying it isnt probable doesnt mean its not possible. Us being here and the scientific evidence we possess is a good foundation.

>Today's evolutionary biologists have no excuse for not knowing it.

You said that honestly? I hope not.

>But I can't offer any scientific evidence for that. What I can tell you scientifically is that life could never "just happen" in this universe

When you disprove science completely you can say i told you so. You havent done it with math. Not to mention we dont have all of the factors necessary for these probabilities to be accurate, like the conditions at the time.

Not to mention, even if you disprove science it doesnt mean there is a god. There is no viable creationist model for how life originated other than "god did it".
>>
>>81083008
First sentence is more of an opinion, so no point arguing over that right now.
If you go through the Bible and cherry pick the rules you want to follow, why do you need in the first place? The Bible says to stone gays, isn't that objectively good if god commands it?
What is it in you that instinctively rejects some commands?
>>
All abrahamic religions are stupid and make no sense. Anyone forcing themselves to believe in them despite them making no logical sense, are doing themselves a disservice. Forcing themselves to live by made up human made rules that they may not agree with. I believe in a god creating the universe though. But I don't think he cares about humans anymore than any other random animal.
>>
>>81081860
Also even if this is at all accurate string theory predicts around 10^500 universes, leaving 10^50 containing abiogenesis
That's enough
>>
>>81079411
Criticizing your angstheist edge doesn't make the critic a Christian, kind of odd how I notice this pattern with most atheists, they are always quick to attack someone based on perceived religiosity instead of arguing the actual critique.

More evidence to me that you are just being a little rebellious angstheist.
>>
>>81081096
You don't have to be an atheist to not believe in biblical stories, autist.
>>
>>81083148
You could literally replace "god" with "Thor "and be as convincing
>>
>>81083781

Your a fucking retard

The first part of that response was part of a larger conversation with someone who said they were a Christian. The second part was an ad hom response to an ad hom

Try readig it again
>>
>>81083084
Yet atheism assumes that science will have the answer, how is that not just as fallacious?
>>
>>81083894
Which authority tells you which Bible stories are literal and which aren't?
Are there divine footnotes telling you when sections are bullshit?
There aren't, which means the omniscient god has done a pretty shitty job of writing a perfect book which is so easy to misinterpret
>>
>>81082991
>going and trusting a liar and a theif that millions of other people tell you not to trust instead of someone who wouldn't lie to you ever
>implying that is a wise choice

Edgytard
>>
>>81082251
Where's the evidence for the concept of non-existence?

My problem with most atheists is that they're so narrow-minded in their own atheism that they never put forth any competing ideas of what could conceivably come after or of what came before. One of the largest examples is taking what is commonly known as "scientific materialism" and the nearly-debunked idea of a classically deterministic universe as fact despite any evidence to the contrary. Another problem is the conflation between memory and consciousness. Just because you can't remember anything from before your birth does not mean you were not in anyway conscious before your birth. People who suffer amnesia after a car accident at 30 may not have memory of anything prior to the accident, but it doesn't mean that they didn't consciously exist prior. The fact remains that we don't understand consciousness and it's currently up in the air as to its origin and form, hence why it's called the "hard problem" in physics.

t. agnostic
>>
>>81083978
The comment was in direct response to your OP you fucking numbskull
>>
>>81084144
It is fallacious because there are things that the scientific method can not and will never be able to account for, ever. Also, science has become a religion. Data, statistics, concepts, publishings, etc. is skewed to fit their preconceived biases. Counter-evidence is disregarded if it goes against the official accepted narrative of the elites or just the cancerous atheist groupthink . Most "peer-reviewed" scientific work doesn't even follow the scientific method anymore. Tesla was really one of the last of the greats.
>>
>>81083570
Like I said, I do not cherry pick the rules I want to follow. I consult with God about what I am to take from his teachings. God reveals his commands to me through the Bible, I don't arbitrarily pick them. And if God commands that the right thing to do is to stone gays, that's the right thing to do. The Bible possesses a key to itself: Jesus' teachings. Through the teachings of Jesus, God's particular commands are revealed to each Christian who is devout in his faith and righteous on his path.
>>
>>81084313
>Where's the evidence for the concept of non-existence?

i wish i could punch your face right now
>>
>>81084313
>hard problem of consciousness
>anything to do with physics
kek
This is a philosophical matter. One that's been done to death, if I may add.
>>
>>81084223
Nice reading comprehension
>>
>>81084602
Proof please. And no, vacuum is not non-existence. Vacuum still encompasses spatial dimensions along with virtual particles and fields.

>>81084691
Is does have plenty to do with physics. It's called the "hard problem" for a reason. Also, a fucking leaf.
>>
>>81082588
Well at least you were right for some of your life. Materialism based? Asserting with no evidence, SUPRISE.

So because i dont agree with you, you are upset. I dont know how to explain this other than i dont give a shit how you feel.

>have no concept of any 'higher power

Nobody does. You might think you do. Humans call that "delusion". I did enjoy this part though.

>you dont know shit
>you have no fucking idea

And theists do from a book everyone has read through and received as much useful information as any other piece of fiction. I agree there are things we don know. You are in the same boat. Its not mentally beneficial to have faith in something you have no proof of.
>>
>>81084602
>threatens harm because of a mere disagreement instead showing said proof that you claim to have

Atheists is the religion of logic like Islam is the religion of peace
>>
>>81084534
>I consult with god
If I said I consult with Ra I would have about as much proof. There is nothing to suggest you would be correct and I wrong. Can you at least see why it's not very convincing to someone like me?
Also there were around 70 gospels no? Didn't a council of crypto Jews already decide which four you should believe are true based on their own agenda?
>>
>>81084970
Faith isn't belief. Faith is knowing. If you believe in something you have no reason to believe for or just regurgitate the information from a fallible, poorly translated, and heavily edited bundle of paper, you are also a tool.

And I'm sorry, but I'm not the one in delusion here.
>>
>>81084887
It's called the "hard problem" because a bunch of philosophers who knew fuck all about the word l
universe decided to invent a problem and call it hard. Physicists don't do this.
>>
>>81084731
So what are you in all this then? Christian, agnostic ?
>>nice reading comprehension
I would say the same to everyone that follows a holy book
>>
>>81083894
Relax edgemaster. Why do you believe that to be true and why isnt the most honest position the "redpill"
>>
File: Morla.jpg (178 KB, 981x801) Image search: [Google]
Morla.jpg
178 KB, 981x801
>>81084144
I make no such assumption.

In fact I suspect that the sciences are caught in a dilemma of finding exponentially more difficult questions to answer with every new discovery they make, and at some point the challenges will become so inconceivably insurmountable that the trial and error way that we approach research will feel like trying to bruteforce 128-bit encryption on paper.

And at that point we'll just call it quits and plant seeds of life in other solar systems, leaving them to experience the joys of repeating the cycle from a primitive state, and sit around solemnly awaiting being swallowed by the sun in a state of existence that resembles Amish life, having found all we really wanted to know about the universe and having an appreciation for its profound irony.

It's just a suspicion though.
>>
>>81085367
>It's called the "hard problem" because a bunch of philosophers who knew fuck all about the word l universe decided to invent a problem and call it hard. Physicists don't do this.

Lol, are you serious? You realize physicists such as Tegmark, Wheeler, Einstein, Bohr, and Penrose had and have been working on models of consciousness for most of the past century, correct? This is a hard problem in physics just as much as it is in philosophy.
>>
Don't bother OP, /pol/ christcucks behave and argue exactly the same way as SJWs do. I suppose that's what happens when you have a zealous belief in something, whether it be 'muh privilege' or 'muh jesus'.
>>
>>81085126
Proof has nothing to do with Obedience to Divine authority, which is the ultimate standard of evaluation of ethical standing. I can see why it's not very convincing: you are passive, in the sense of the word like with electrical equipment. Believe is obedience to God, it is not "received" in virtue of some fact, but is caused by will.
>>
>>81085382
I don't you imbecile, all I said was you don't have to be an atheist to NOT believe in biblical stories.
>>
>>81084313
Don't bother, Atheists will avoid science when conveinant to their nihilistic worldview despite using a science textbook like it's God's spoken word.

A smart man always considers the possibility that he may be wrong

Thanks for standing up for us Christians.
>>
Everything science has taught me— and continues to teach me— strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.
-Wernher von Braun
>>
>>81085110
Atheism is the religion of logic senpai
There is no substantial evidence for the existence of any god (yet) so there is no reason to follow a religion of any of these unproven gods
If you were doing it to 'play safe' then remember there are thousands of religions and factions within those religions with as much of a claim on the ultimate truth as yours.
>>
>>81085236
Faith is the opposite of knowledge, you are clearly delusional if this is your first point. Blindly agreeing to something you have no clue of is utter gullability and you are a moron for thinking this is true.
>>
>>81085573
>Muh Jesus

More proof that atheists are so insular they take any criticism to be in the form of religious apologetics.
>>
File: gh.jpg (204 KB, 638x890) Image search: [Google]
gh.jpg
204 KB, 638x890
>>81084313
>>81084313
Not to mention the whole "remember before you were born? No? Checkmate." is a fucking fallacy. Do you remember when you were 6 months old? No? Well then you must have not existed when you were 6 months old. /s

Anyways. Scientists will never solve consciousness at their current way of looking at it. Pic related. Some nobel prize winning physicists on consciousness. However, they've already proved that consciousness, whatever it is, interacts with reality at the subatomic level. Many are in blatant denial about this though. This is what I meant earlier by atheism being a form of cognitive dissonance.
>>
>>81063379
Being a fedora tipping faggot has nothing to do with being red pilled. And this is coming from someone who isn't particularly religious.
>>
>>81085955
If you look down on how SJWs argue yet see no problem with a majority of christcuck arguments in here (in terms of argumentative technique, not content) then you're simply intellectually dishonest.

So which is it? Do you think SJWs calling everyone a dumb bigot is a good argument or are you just a hypocrite?
>>
>>81085541
Their attempts were misguided. There is no field of physics that deals with consciousness. Thus, it is not a problem relevant to physics.
>>
>>81085653
>Atheists will avoid science when conveinant to their nihilistic worldview despite using a science textbook like it's God's spoken word.

Is another theist about to assert something they cant prove? Oh boy.

>A smart man always considers the possibility that he may be wrong

But you wont, even if christianity is full of contradictions and falsities. Ill prove it if you would like.
>>
>>81085598
There are thousands of religions which claim to have divine authority without any proof to differentiate them. There is no reason to follow one over the other, other than common sense picking Buddhism over radical Islam for instance
>>81085608
No need to get salty
>>81085955
Care to explain?
>>
>>81086131
I agree. Memes arent redpilled.
>>
>>81085904
>there is no proof of existence thefore that is proof of non-existance
Circular Logic fallacy, thus proving my point about Atheist rarely using logic using it only when it gives them circlejerk brownie points.

Can you admit that we both truely don't know if either of us are right? It harms you none that I and many other christian people believe in God. Why is this such an issue with you? Do you like being confrontational?
>>
>>81086314
Buddhism is infallible.
>>
>>81086153
I'm not a Christian, but I at least can separate the apologetics from legitimate criticism of gnostic atheism or nihilists.
>>
File: 1465502350448.jpg (43 KB, 511x507) Image search: [Google]
1465502350448.jpg
43 KB, 511x507
I think its wrong to force your views and opinions on anyone, but its always ok to debate, inform and have general discussion about things. If the other person is incapable of discussion without losing their shit, they dont deserve your time and effort.
I lived with my grandma when I was youngling and she was very religious, never quite understood what exactly was her thing. Orthodoxy I guess.
I tagged along as a youngling, but grew not to like it. Went to random big churches around the country, took part in big events and such, but I just didnt like it in the end. I remember when I said to my grandma that I dont want to go anymore, she was oddly fine with it. I only much later realised that she never tried to force that shit on me and I grew to respect her more because of that. She never forced me, but I went because I was curious, I asked lots of questions about the more superstitious things and such and she was happy to explain things when asked.

She did get mad at me once though when I thought it would be funny to pick up a very old copy of the bible or something and fart on it. Yeaaah, that wasnt a smart move.
Thanks 4 reading my blog.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.