[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>gold is a meme How can people be this retarded, /pol?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9
File: GoldHistoricalPrice.jpg (92 KB, 672x463) Image search: [Google]
GoldHistoricalPrice.jpg
92 KB, 672x463
>gold is a meme
How can people be this retarded, /pol?
>>
>>79874971
Because it's like diamonds. Lots of important people screaming about how it's rare and worth money makes people assume it's rare and worth money. In an apocalypse nobody's going to give a fuck about gold. You want useful metals like lead for bullets, copper for medicinal needs, salt for preserving foods, etc.

Nobody's going to give a fuck about your shiny pile of shit.
>>
>>79874971
"No great nation that abandoned the gold standard has remain a great nation"

-Ronald Reagan to Ron Paul
>>
What happened in 1980?
>>
>>79875243
Isn't gold one of the more common metals anyways?
>>
>>79874971

>comparing the price of gold to the american dollar without adjusting for inflation
>after 1933

fucking pleb
>>
>>79875473
Basically. It's like how diamonds are actually fairly common, it's just that the supply is artificially kept low to keep prices inflated. There's a dozen other metals you could hoard that'd be far more valuable if the economy imploded/apocalypse hit/etc
>>
>>79875243
There has literally never been a time in recent human history where things have gotten bad enough to make gold worthless.

I understand and agree with your point, but I just have a hard time believing things will ever be that bad.

Barring a full 1960s level nuclear exchange or a meteor strike, how will it get that bad. Even in the darkest days of ww1 and ww2 gold was still worth something.

Just what kind of catastrophe are you expecting. Imo if it gets so bad that gold is worthless, we are all probably fucked anyway.
>>
>>79875563
but that's not true at all, sempai
>>
>>79874971

I dunno. Ask your leaders since they sold all of your gold.

http://www.mining.com/web/and-then-there-was-none-canada-sells-its-gold/
>>
>>79875435
I think
>>79875496
is right and it isn't adjusted for inflation
>>
>>79875859
But this is a worthless figure. According to obammy administration there's no inflation now, but if you look at rent and house prices they're going up by double digits percentage points. You have to compare raw dollar cost per ounce.
>>
File: 750px-Elemental_abundances.svg.png (82 KB, 750x581) Image search: [Google]
750px-Elemental_abundances.svg.png
82 KB, 750x581
>>79875563
No. The scarcity of gold is quite real. It's one of the rarest elements in earth's crust.
>>
>>79875611
Not even just that, but gold has practical use in electronics. Unless something like that nuclear exchange does happen and the EMP effect fucks us to the stone age, gold will remain as a valuable metal both for its rarity and use.
>>
Unlike non industry diamonds gold actually serve a purpose as one of the best conductors, that said other metals aren't far off
>>
>>79875243
>he doesn't exclusively shoot golden bullets
>>
File: 1453758649226.jpg (282 KB, 548x550) Image search: [Google]
1453758649226.jpg
282 KB, 548x550
>>79874971
>gold price is rising
>>
>>79875243
And yet gold was used for currency for thousands of years.
>>
File: scaramanga.jpg (25 KB, 574x301) Image search: [Google]
scaramanga.jpg
25 KB, 574x301
>>79877043
>>
>>79877135
>a fucking jewish medipack
>>
>>79877469
When the federal reserve took the US off the gold standard, it allowed all kinds of rich people to get all kinds of richer. Worst decision ever.
>>
>>79876651
Shit even in a nuclear holocaust I tend to think gold would still be worth something. Gold has been valued by every culture since ever, even in pre-agrarian societies. People try to dismiss it as stupid shiny jewelry, but what they forget is humans are dumb and like stupid shiny jewelry a lot. We are not rational beings who value things based solely on immediate utility.

I'm reminded of a passage from A Canticle for Liebowitz. It's a book about a post-nuclear dark age. In one part some mongrel peasantskill a traveling monk for a tiny bit of gold that he has even as they are starving. I don't think the author was too off-base with that.

People like the shiny yellow stuff, it's very culturally ingrained as being valuable. I think that concept would survive a hell of a lot of destruction and famine. It certainly has in the past.
>>
>>79874971

>haha guis the monetary system is gonna collapse soon, USD is worthless haha
>haha wow guise how can people deny gold is valuable? see it worth lots of USD lol

>this is what buy gold fags actually believe
>>
I dunno when to sell my gold

Every time I consider doing it I feel like I'm gonna do a Gordon Brown
>>
File: 1463303693800.jpg (11 KB, 250x241) Image search: [Google]
1463303693800.jpg
11 KB, 250x241
>>79877746
Think about what the gold cost in 1940 and what the value is today
>>
>>79875473

all the gold ever mined from the earth fills an olympic swimming pool. so no
>>
>>79875243
>Hurr durr every crisis is the apocalypse
>It's not like people used precious metals as currency for thousands of years

enjoy your fiat paper faggot.
>>
>>79877884

To be fair to gold fags. The monetary system has been shaky as hell the last 10 years or so. We actually were reasonably close to genuine financial collapse in the winter of 2008. We made it out, but things could've been different.

We were lucky that for all his flaws, Bush didn't go full retard in late 2008.
>>
>>79877852
Gold was valuable as currency because it's relatively scarce and is quite difficult to counterfeit.
>>
>>79874971
convenient how you chopped off the last 3 years where gold was in free fall.

Gold is worth roughly now what is was in the 70s.

Meanwhile if you had bought some blue chip dow jones industrial stocks, they would be worth 5-10x now what they were then
>>
>>79877135
>he can't read charts
>>
>>79875662
didn't Soros meet with Trudeau and tell him to sell all his gold, and then Soros went out and bought a shit ton of gold?
>>
>>79877988

Just use the gold to silver ratios for buy/sell timing. Historically, the gold to silver price ratio is around 1:50, so once the ratio gets up to around 1:60, sell your gold and buy silver, while doing the opposite when you get a g:s of 1:42. So right now, silver is actually the better buy.
>>
>claims to be on Hitlers side.
>worships jew gold
>>
>>79875473
The idea is, that you choose a resource that is rare enough to hold value but abundant enough to provide for a medium of exchange.

There are other metals and elements that are far rarer, but they are so rare that there's not enough to trade on a global level

So gold and silver and platinum are traded in this manner
>>
>>79876753
Silver is the best conductor
>>
>>79876264
it's a half-truth that there "is no inflation"

what's actually happening is that they are artificially contolling inflation at 0 to 0.5% by a process called "quantitative easing" or QE.

In layman's terms, QE is printing money to suppress the inflation rate. If we didn't practice QE as a monetary policy, inflation would be about 5 or 7%.

Now you might be asking yourself, what does the government do with all the money they just printed?

The answer: loan it to banks at the "market interest rate" (0.5%), and then let the banks loan it to us at whatever fucking APR they want.
>>
>>79879468
sorry. i'm high. If we didn't practice QE we would have DEflation of about 5 to 7%
>>
>>79879649
QE stopped a while ago. At least officially.
>>
>>79874971
glenn beck pls go
>>
>>79875243
If it wasn't so scarce gold would be perfect for bullets.

Also you are retarded. Shit has gotten really fucking bad the last couple of thousands years and you have always been able to use gold to buy things you need.
>>
>>79876651
Not just electronics, but in chemistry seeing as how it's one of the noble metals, and one that actually has some pretty neat applications at that.
>>
File: crypto trading account.png (37 KB, 866x168) Image search: [Google]
crypto trading account.png
37 KB, 866x168
>gold as an investment
>not bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies

This is an anachronism in the 21st century, much like a belief in god.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.