[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Scrolling through FB >See this get posted by old classmate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35
>Scrolling through FB
>See this get posted by old classmate
>PM her and ask her what her GPA is
>"None of your fucking business!"
>Later find out she got dismissed from school for shit grades and attitude

Aside from that, is your performance in school a good indicator of your character or ability to succeed?
>>
I'd like to say no, but I guess it's a yes.

You can change however.
>>
Its been above 3.1 for awhile now but now with Calc and Physics it should go up. Ya know, shit I actually care about.

I was stupid and took 2 years of Japanese which is hard as fuck and lowered my gpa.
>>
File: 654646456.png (185 KB, 342x462) Image search: [Google]
654646456.png
185 KB, 342x462
>>79625485
Depends on the teacher and the school. I would say no a lot of the time, and yes a lot of the time. I guess yes for STEM classes with good teachers, and no for ANY class with a bad teacher. Especially English, English is a bullshit class to the highest degree. Grades in English are literally determined by how similar your opinion is to the teacher. I fucking hate English and English teachers are a special type of scum.

In short, no, you can get bad grades and be very intelligent, but it doesn't happen that often. It does happen though.
>>
It used to be a good indicator, but now everyone is 'equal' and grades mean nothing. Besides, since the vast majority of K-12 curriculum is just Marxist indoctrination nowadays anyway, that just proves OP's pic true.
>>
>>79625910
Sure but that goes out the window in STEM. Everyone gets the grade they earned in STEM.
>>
File: 1466471811471.jpg (40 KB, 535x577) Image search: [Google]
1466471811471.jpg
40 KB, 535x577
>>79625485
2.8 here... I always fucking regret not having put effort in highschool... but at least it's slightly improving.. might be a 3.0 by the end of next semester
>>
File: 1454010981839.jpg (21 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1454010981839.jpg
21 KB, 480x640
>>79625835
you
>>
>>79625485

>Copy Wikipedia
>get high grades
>be smart

Th..thanks
>>
>>79625485

I'm not sure why this is even a discussion.
>>
>>79625485
School is bullshit, grades are bullshit, 95% of teachers deserve to get viciously murdered for ruining young minds.

I have ADHD, my parents refused to medicate me while i was in school, life was literal hell. I am far more intelligent then all those baboons I had as classmates, but could not get good grades for the life of me due to my ADHD.

Once I got into college I went to a psych by myself and got medicated, suddendly I started scoring some of the highest test scores in my class.

Basically, if I did not have shitty parents who don't believe in medicine I would get high test scores in school.
>>
>>79625485
It's funny. That statement is somewhat true, but in the vast majority of cases, someone just has low grades because they either can't be bothered to do the work and/or can't understand the material. Sometimes there are people that just can't take written tests well, but this is definitely not the rule.

Fundamentally, your highschool GPA indicates how much of a dipshit you are and whether or not you can follow instructions. Your college GPA is the same thing. There has to be a standard metric for measuring peoples' abilities in school because employers sure as fuck aren't going to go through your transcripts. I think having both in-major and overall GPA for college grads makes the most sense.
>>
Character?

Absolutely not.
You need to be someone of poor character if you want to be truly successful.
>>
American colleges teach you how to meet tight deadlines, juggle multiple different class schedules, and maintain a semblance of professionalism in order to succeed. Unless you are going into medicine or STEM, the "knowledge" is useless once you start an actual job (at least for business schools like I attend). It's all about learning to function like a proper professional, not learning why C&C management structure is more efficient but leads to less synergy, etc

I usually forget 60-80% of what I learn in any intro-intermediate level class by the time I start the next semester.
>>
File: 1454025570470.jpg (37 KB, 601x601) Image search: [Google]
1454025570470.jpg
37 KB, 601x601
>tfw your teacher was so shit you learned more from the book and saw no point even attending class in the morning
Thank fuck on our syllabus the teacher listed which days quiz's and exams were on, I hate how slowly the classes go and teachers just make a powerpoint and don't even talk about what were learning
>>
>>79625485
Not realy. Good grades will give you an initial headstart but after that it just depends on how hard you work/ ssmart you are irl.

I work with a kid who was a ~3.9 student and he's honestly a complete moron, no one in their right mind will promote him.
>>
File: a longnose.png (37 KB, 589x534) Image search: [Google]
a longnose.png
37 KB, 589x534
>>79625485

good goy, let children (especially boys) be punished by female teachers for having a different opinion. Let them be one block of mindless drones.

To be honest my school years were pretty shitty, this is due that half of the teacher staff couldn't give a ratsarse about your education, and made you do some boring stuff, like 5000 presentations about the LOLOcaust. And the other half was mostly filled with "overly ambitious teachers" who try to shape the schoolchildren in their own image, or man hating old cunts, who would give ALWAYS boys a worse grade than girls.
>>
>>79626516

>I blame school for my shitty parents

Good talk BR
>>
>>79626528
>they can't be bothered to do the work
And how is this a problem?If they can't be bothered, that means they aren't interested. I see no reason why people should be forced to learn something they have no interest in, aside from the very basics. I don't remember half the shit I've "learned", it was/is a waste of time.
>>
>>79627140
Hey mate, just because my parents were shitty does not mean school did not fail me as well.

You wouldn't understand, no matter how bad american education might be, brazilian education is far worse.
>>
>>79625485
>Aside from that, is your performance in school a good indicator of your character or ability to succeed?
No, especially not in the modern day.
>>
No, i've met pHds who have next to no common sense. Its a good judge if you've got a well adjusted view of the outside world
>>
I graduated with a degree I didn't particularly want but was far more financially responsible than the journalism degree I initially went to school for. I actually have a job in the industry I wanted so at least that worked out.

I graduated business school with a pretty average GPA, far lower than my GPA in journalism school, which is what I actually wanted to do with my life. When I switched to business I just couldn't bring myself to give a shit about half my classes and my GPA suffered.

Meanwhile I knew plenty of business school students with a 4.0 and have fantastic jobs in finance in New York right out of college. A good friend of mine is at Goldman Sachs making 100 grand/year out of college in Manhattan. And he's a fucking idiot politically, he knows fucking nothing about the world. It's not that he has incorrect opinions, he has no opinions, all he learned to do in college was work the stock market, he has no fucking clue what is going on in the world and he doesn't care to ever learn, and that was true for pretty much every business student I ever met.
>>
>>79625485
I always averaged around a 3.2gpa. but that's with rarely ever studying. I just went to class and didn't fuck around on my laptop. Always made me laugh when the kid who never shows up and when he does he fucks around on fb, bitching about how much they had to study for a test.
>>
File: huehuebathtime.jpg (82 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
huehuebathtime.jpg
82 KB, 1280x853
>>79626516
there there little hue, your parents love you very much. yes they do!
>>
>>79625485
>Grades test obedience
Fuck no, they test your ability to remember stuff.
>>
>>79625485
She's right. Edison and Bill Gates, among others, did poorly in school. A truly intelligent person educates themself
>>
>>79627548
>your parents love you
They do, but loving your children and being a good parents are not necessarily the same thing.
>>
>>79627109
>man hating old cunts, who would give ALWAYS boys a worse grade than girls
I had to change schools, because one of those failed me for not sucking up to her.
>>
>>79627585
Depends on the teacher. Some teachers pretty much just ask opinionated questions and grade you on your opinions. Of course you could always just say what the teacher wants to hear.
>>
>>79625485
Yes and no. I have a shit gpa. Am I the sharpest tool in the shed? Hell no. Some people have high gpas cause they can grasp material better and are just smarter.

On the other hand, if your teacher is a socially retarted from spending to much time in a chemistry lab and can't teach worth a shit? Than ya, people can do bad.

My gpa is bad though cause of a combo of me being not mature enough and chemistry (my major) being hard as fuck. I initially thought I could study like I did in high school and I was wrong. I had to grow up and fast. My gpa is on the upswing now that I have better study habits and time management skills but the damage is already done.
>>
>>79625485
In my experience, it's true. The smartest and most knowledgeable guys are usually those with a good but not perfect GPA. A bad GPA is a sign of poor work morale or low intelligence. An excellent GPA is often the result of learning stuff by heart, but not understanding it.
>>
Part of intelligence is knowing that you have to play the game in order to get what you want.

Like it or not, grades are very very important. Even high school grades, because they determine the caliber of college that you can attend, which in turn determines the kind of white collar job or graduate program that will take you.

Now, if a really smart person knows that they want to become a plumber or something, then yes, high school grades would not necessarily reflect his intellect.

But, what's funny to me is when these self-described geniuses with a smug sense of intellectual superiority get bad grades and then wonder they're working at Best Buy in their 20s. If they were so smart, they would realize that it's necessary (and not all that difficult) to play by the rules.
>>
>>79625835
That's pretty funny anon. My first year Japanese class was good for my GPA. Are you sure it's not because you were a bit lazy and didn't practice enough?
>>
>>79627677
Dont be daft. Gates got admitted to Harvard. He dropped out after making the connections necessary to start his own business. He was good enough academically to be admitted to one of the best unis in the US
>>
>>79625485
Bretty much, but some professors buttfucked me and literally stole several grades from me. I'm still satisfied with my results.
>>
>>79627911
I had an average GPA in college still wound up with a very well paying job because I went out and talked with employers while people were studying. It's hardly about what you know but who you know in the real world.
>>
>>79628107
Would you recommend going to career fairs? I have a 1.5-2 years left and haven't been to one yet.
>>
>>79627954
>working at Best buy at 20 or
>working at office/searching for job at 24
Going by the rules only gets you a slightly better job later, if it even gets you a job.
>>
>>79625485
Its kind of true, it doesn't test intelligence directly, it tests your ability to adapt to situations, focusing on the acquisition of knowledge. To get good grades, you have to be able to learn something, regardless of whether its boring or not, you also need to learn how to communicate that knowledge in the way the marker wants, which may be retarded. Add in pro strategies like determining what will be on the test based on what was said in the class and previous years tests, it also tests your ability to pick up on subtle hints, and your ability to network to get info from previous students. Some people are so good at this this they can be idiots yet get good grades just by networking, determining what will be on tests and cramming.

So she is correct that it doesn't test intelligence, it tests far more than just that.

I like to think of it as a game where they test how well you can please the professor, while adapting to new ones for each module.

If all you care about is knowledge its far cheaper and faster and easier to do it on your own using the internet and books.

(We dont have gpas here, but I was 2nd in my engineering degree in case people think im saying this because i got bad grades)
>>
>>79625485
I'd say no, the schools don't measure creativity, tenacity, and so on. If your grades are high it means you just know how to be good in exams, and maybe there is a IQ correlation for it, but it's not a sucess determinator.
>>
I've been at the bottom end during all my years at school because I had no fucks to give, my average was something around 4.5/10, 4 being the minimum requirement to pass.
I managed to enroll in college and now I'm at the top of my class.
How that reflects my intelligence I can't tell, but people who barely finished or didn't finish school at all are all pretty much dolts.
>>
I was constantly told I was smart by my parents and grade school teachers. I never ghave a fuck though in school and some classes were just homosexual.

I am starting to recover in college but I procrastinate and fuck around to much still.
>>
>>79627677
>bill gates did poorly
He dropped out of fucking Harvard because it was basically a waste of his time and he knew what he wanted to do to be successful.
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 300x300
I had a 1.7gpa at one point. I didn't do any assigned homework because I was too cool for school.
>>
>>79628535
is that on a 4 point grade system or a 7 point grade system?
>>
>>79625485
I really really suck at math. I scored the minimal grade for the lowest rank of math class
But now i work as a history teacher and its quite comfy and I sure as fuck about me having no knowledge in math what so ever so if someone with higher grade tells me something about it i will know he have better knowledge of that then me.
>>
I think a lot of it has to do with what character you're given outside of school as well. In high school I had issues same as everyone else, didn't push myself as much as I should have, and graduated only with a 2.7 GPA. It wasn't until three years later when I'd gotten out into the world and dealt with some of my issues that I was ready to handle school more seriously. I got a vocational degree earlier this year with a 3.85 GPA and almost straight As. People can change and develop character, but they often need a reason to do so.
>>
>>79627677
A truly intelligent person doesn't blithely follow hollow platitudes. People surely have different methods of learning which work the best for them, but autodidacts are pretty fucking rare. If you think that you've taught yourself a lot on your own, consider that you probably would have learned much more with a teacher. Additionally, universities provide opportunities which the common man can't find elsewhere. They are a comprehensive source of knowledge and talent, providing journals, archives and equipment that you just won't find on your own. This isn't to say you shouldn't learn on your own, but don't fucking inflate your ego over it, especially when you have nobody to criticize you.
>>
>>79625485
It might have been in the past, however from what I've heard education is more oriented towards girls so now it's not as important.
>>
>>79625485
No, you're just an asshole if your grades are low because of your inability to take care of business. Good grades are either mediocre people working hard or smart people working at any level. Bad grades are either the aforementioned assholes who don't want to succeed and want to lash out like dindus or they're literal dindus.
>>
>>79626018
I graduated with that and still don't give a fuck, I'm making 70ish/yr building fucking clouds for retarded customers
>>
>>79625485
Grades aren't an end-all be-all way to rank your intelligence, but they do a pretty good job of it based on standards. It tests your intelligence, determination, ability to learn and adapt, etc. However, a 2.0 student most likely doesn't know more than a 4.0 student in the same class on the same standard. The 2.0 student either has problems learning concepts, not putting in effort, or some combination of reasons.
>>
Depends on major and school.
I went to Cal Poly and their STEM courses have a rep, and right fully so, for being rigorous as fuck.
>>
>>79625485

Higher grades mostly determine one's will to work, not intelligence per se. That picture is still retarded though.
>>
If you're actually intelligent then you realize the importance of good grades and will be able to partition your time to study and get a 4.0 instead of a 2.0. Intelligence is a skill for 99.9% of the population; you have to cultivate it and spend time working on it. People can be naturally gifted but the only way they're going to have a 2.0 gpa is if they spend their time doing some type of research or innovation that transcends the importance of schooling.
>>
File: figure1.png (55 KB, 855x586) Image search: [Google]
figure1.png
55 KB, 855x586
>>79628832
Don't forget grade inflation. A hundred years ago, a 2.0 GPA was reasonable.
>>
>>79625485
I use to get horrible grades in high school because I simply refused to do the 2+ hours of home work every night.
The only reason I didn't flunk out was because of social engineering. I would do really well on all the tests. I proved I knew the material, and my teachers knew I was an intelligent person just from talking me.
According to some one who only cares about grades I am stupid. I personally feel like I am smarter than most because I still graduated, and did about half the work as everyone else just because I know how to talk to people.
Social engineering wins imo.
>>
>>79625485

Nah, more like 3.0 students.

2.0s are almost always really fucking dumb.
>>
I'm not smart at all, and I did poorly in tests. But I have autism, and I think that might have lowered my scores
>>
>>79625835
>I took Japanese
>>
>>79627191
High schools have a forced "Humanities" program where you learn english and social studies at the same time with two classes sharing a grade. All the kids I've heard speak about it hate it because it's poorly conceptualized.
t. Musical education student about to become a teacher.
>>
Mine last was like... 1.41.

But I'm also a habitual procrastinator and I openly admit to being a dumbass.
>>
Give me one valid reason why it's harmful to learn another language.
>>
Not necessarily. You can take easy courses and get a 4.0 but if you were to enroll simultaneously in 5 or 6 difficult STEM fields with heavy workloads then your GPA will certainly not be a 4.0 without inhuman amounts of work, and that's just a capacity for hard work, which is obviously valuable.

It measures how well you do in school environments. Doing well in a music class won't make you Paul McCartney, and passing the bar means you'll be a lawyer, but maybe you'll be working in some shit stain office for your whole life and never get a high profile case or client.
>>
>>79628003
That's probably it.
>>
Idk, i excelled at math, reading, and writing at a young age. Dropped out of high school due to attendence. Did perfect on GED tests.

It all comes down to your choices and how much value you put into education.
>>
>>79629155
Self esteem movement!
>>
Valedictorian chiming in.

There are genius students who flunk out because they aren't disciplined enough, don't care enough, or care about other things more. Many go on to be great successes.

There are genius students who get 4.0 and then go on to become typically successful "smart" people: STEM professionals, lawyers/politicians, professors, entrepreneurs.

There are regular students who work hard and through hard work and passion achieve similar or even greater success than the genius students, in grades and in life.

And then there are the rest-- who may achieve success through inheritance, athleticism, luck, or entertainment, or just be another cucked cog in the big wheel of society and post on FB about how the're's a good chance that they're really in the first category.
>>
>>79625485
Not necessarily intelligence because most shit they teach is either twisted to modern leftism or just plain retarded. For example, English is always taught by some annoying ass liberal cunt who spouts her views unto young impressionable minds, and you can get an A in the class so long as you share the teacher's opinions. No brain power required. Math, physics, chemistry and the like do determine how hard you're willing to work to understand the material and how easily you grasp it, so I agree that those subjects can accurately gauge intelligence. Other classes like metal working or woodshop can measure your common sense as well, but people look down on skills like that because it doesn't involve working at a desk in your nice white collared shirts and black ties.
>>
Some people with high GPAs are socially retarded. I'm not even joking, some of the people I know get a kick out of repelling people from themselves and get straight A's.
>>
getting a high GPA in college is much easier than in high school because there are fewer assignments to keep up with. basically in college you can do nothing at all, learn all the material a week before a test, and get all As. in high school they had to pad all classes with busywork assignments due every day so dumb people wouldn't fail.
>>
>>79625867
My English teachers gave us a word-for-word script on what to write for state exams. We weren't taught to think about pieces of literature. We were taught to memorize. For my 12th grade essay exam, they said we could write about whatever book we wanted. The teacher told us to pick something safe like Mockingbird. So I said 'fuck it' and wrote about the morality of American Psycho. Got a B+ too.
>>
Always been a mid 70% student. A mix of work ethic, bad study habits and bad note taking preclude me from ever being a high GPA student.

When it came to hands on work though, all those high GPA kids couldn't follow a laboratory procedure without asking for help from the instructor or me. Some of them would whine for guidance at every single step.

I'm simply not suited to academics. I perform much better with hands on learning. I learn quickly and am an efficient worker when I'm on the job, in class I struggle more to retain information.
>>
>>79627677
>Bill Gates did poorly in school
Hahaha, no, dude.
He would study until he could not hold himself awake anymore, fall asleep, wake up and repeat. He was so advanced in college level knowledge, that he would not attend any class he was assigned to and still ace all exams because that was too easy for him, and we are talking about Harvard.
>A truly intelligent person educates themself
At least you got this right, many successful people have a record of doing their own way and advocate such.
>>
>>79625485
GPA is largely determined by discipline.
Only those who steel themselves to actually
>Do their homework
>READ THE BOOK
>Study for exams, and
>Show up to class
will attain high GPAs

People who smear GPAs are the same people who say shit like "I didn't even buy the book man, it was worthless"

Discipline is a testament to character, and reflects upon the worth and work ethic of an individual

Anyone who says GPAs are stupid might as well be shouting "I'm a lazy cunt" to any perspective employers
>>
Pic is right, I know dropouts that have achieved greatness.

>The girl op is talking about is a failure though
>>
>>79627109
Is this a shitty teacher thread? I had one who was the most stereotypical jewess there ever was. That kinky jew blonde hair, the holocaust references everything. The greatest thing was she was an English teacher in Canada that somehow managed to pull off a whole unit of lynching of black people in America YET SHE STILL MANAGED TO MAKE A POINT OF THE HANDFUL OF JEWS LYNCHED TOO. I didn't even know people hated jews back then but I still got the feeling they were a stuck up bunch of whiners.
>>
File: Image1.jpg (447 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
Image1.jpg
447 KB, 1600x1600
Im an odd case

1.3 gpa when i graduated high school

Im 23 now and making 85k a year working with satellite equipment and working IT
>>
>>79625835
>learning a difficult, highly valuable, foreign language
>stupid

it's your school administrators that are stupid. i can't think of a better way to convince children that they are stupid than to assign them a letter.

the system punishes the most inquisitive- and does not guarantee that the most intelligent are most highly rated.

it's a decent system for the average herd- but the system fails those at the top and those at the bottom.

keep studying japanese kid- you won't regret it when you are old.

meanwhile watch what happens to those kids that took safe, boring classes to get a higher GPA.

they will lead safe, boring lives.
>>
>>79629668
We have a finite amount of time. The time spent learning another language is time that can't be used to learn something else - something more useful. This is particularly true if you are a native English speaker. Of course, I see the value in non-native English speakers learning English, as it's pretty much a necessity these days in business.
>>
>>79627191
If you can't give enough of a shit to finish easy fucking assignments in school because "you don't feeeeeeeel like it :^(" then how the fuck can you expect to succeed at anything worth doing in life? You're gonna be a fat lazy NEET without a skill in the world because you couldn't be bothered to fucking learn something.
>>
>>79630158
Indirect red pill nice
>>
>>79629495
Neat, are you going to teach general music classes, or secondary school conducting in band or chorus?
>>
>>79630237
Aye, but you argue that while you're on 4chan. In the time you spend on 4chan every day, you could learn many things. Your argument makes you sound like a hypocrite. And how do you judge the utility of something? Japan is still an economic powerhouse, and many people enjoy their media, much of which remains untranslated. If you live your life only doing the things which have the greatest utility, you could have a very dull life.
>>
>>79626818
>what you learn is only important to stem
Okay, well I'm an accountant at a Big 4. There is a reason why people hire me, I have a special knowledge I was taught
>>
>>79625485
>Aside from that, is your performance in school a good indicator of your character or ability to succeed?
Not really.

Depends on what you consider a good indicator.

I barely scraped by and I'm quite successful.
>>
File: Jus.jpg (86 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Jus.jpg
86 KB, 500x500
>>79630177
Honestly how often this happens is kinda amazing. Look at Louis Rossman on YouTube. Sucked in high school, dropped out of college, now runs his own successful small business. It goes against what we assume and what we've been told. We're told high school prepares you for college, which prepares you for a job. So you think people with 1.3 GPAs are going to be unprepared for life after high school. Now a lot of them are fuck ups, but the fact that a decent amount of people can be tech professionals making more than double the average national salary shows how teachers at school and people's parents really overvalue school.
>>
>>79625485
pic is true though

i had 3.9 gpa and am not particularly bright
>>
>>79625485
Good, not great. There are many other important factors.
>>
>>79625485
I agree slightly with that picture. When I went in to take my GED, there were a number of factors in play: I hadn't stepped foot in a high school classroom in nearly seven years, didn't study, had about three hours of sleep, was half drunk, and was the last one in. I was also the first out, scored within the 97'th percentile, and got a perfect score on social studies. How? A lot of it is leftist propaganda, so, being wise to their shit, I just penciled in the answers they wanted to hear. Easy.

They're trying to do it with math, too, via Common Core, but that shit absolutely will not grow legs, let alone fly. But yeah, half-right, because only a bitter, pretentious moron would think they can never walk into a school and learn anything.
>>
>>79625485
>attend 2 years at community college
>leave
>sell pot, invest all profit to more product
>build team of like-minded people
>get legal paperwork
>fund grow op, possibly more than one, have even more reliable source for capital
>learn binary options
>invest into expanding market for thc products
>constantly network and meet new people thus new opportunities
>write off taxes

Lol fuck your shitty trap you call school.

First-hand experience and networking>school

You need a reliable team to collaborate with now. Thats how it works these days
>>
>>79630786
For every person like that you have a half dozen abject failures who can barely hold a job for months at a time. The people with the worst grades generally are the worst fucking people, and they're not like that because of school.
>>
>>79631139
This. Most of the time, practical experience is going to be your compass in life. In no way does a mandatory four-page essay on invertebrates prepare you for shit, unless you're planning on being an entomologist.
>>
>>79631139
That's the fucking opposite of how it works now a days.

>your business goes under
>you have no degree or anything to go elsewhere with (think if the whole industry goes belly up)
>you no longer have nothing to market yourself besides running a business at one point
>no mobility

My parents didn't go to college and their business made them earn a collective $600,000 USD. I grew up in a 1.5m home, and to this day both of my parents say how fucked they would be if their business/industry went belly up.

A degree is insurance against the shit hitting the fan. Get fired? You go somewhere else and show them your tangible degree and market yourself with it.
>>
>>79625485
I'd say that, in HS and on a 4.0 scale, anything above a 3.6 has to do with character and really is cutting hairs but there's little excuse for getting below a 3.0 (unless you're school is complete shit)
>>
File: business-failure.jpg (53 KB, 620x321) Image search: [Google]
business-failure.jpg
53 KB, 620x321
>>79631139
t. weedman who knows everything

Yes, your highly inspirational success story invalidates school for every career and profession. It really is all just a scam to take money from people, and there's no reason that doctors, engineers and scientists should bother to go to school.
>>
>>79631441
Don't be an idiot and commit to a bad market then.

Also dont have all your eggs in one basket.

Get really good at one kind of business/trade/skill. Then step into new opportunities, which is possible through constant networking.

If i had a reason too there are 2-3 jobs i could get off the bat from networking and a dozen other promising markets i could invest into

Life comes down to your resilience and mental fortitude.

You don't go broke because you don't allow yourself too
>>
>>79631139
>binary options

lel did you enjoy getting scammed "entepreneur"?
>>
>>79631799
Enjoy your debt and wasted time
>>
>>79631856
That's pretty naive senpai. You can be prepared for anything, but you will never actually be prepared
>>
>never applied myself in school but still did better than most of my peers
>all wanted lofty positions and to go to really expensive schools
>drop out senior year and get GED because NYC public education sucks dick and wouldn't do anything for me anyway
>become electrician
>get lucky and manage to join a good union
>hard and kinda dangerous work but I'm happy and making decent money
>able to buy a home in florida for my parents after saving up for 2 years
>nothing special, basic 3 room ranch but I only put 5% down on an $80k home and have paid most of it off in the past 4 years
>parents leave apartment in NYC for me to have which has gone up in value thanks to hipsters turning my shithole neighborhood around
>still live modestly, don't own a car for example I lease a toyota corolla
>don't piss way my money on jordans or having kids like everyone else I know
>watch all the kids I went to high school with complain about debt, shitty jobs, or how they can't get jobs
>walk into at&t the other day to get an upgrade
>see valedictorian girl from my high school working there
>she went to NYU for a film degree
>now makes $12 an hour + comission at a cell phone store
>pay for my new phone in cash and she asks me if I'm a scammer or some stupid shit as if $400 is a lot of money
>earlier that month she was complaining about how she couldn't go on vacation to aruba with her friends because it would out her behind on her student loans

I'm not special, I'll probably never make a whole lot of money but at least I'm not in debt and have good credit.
>>
>>79631869
Im actually learning from someone who i know irl that knows alot about it.

Made $200 profit two days ago its more about the money management than the pattern recognition but you need both
>>
>>79631950
Then dont risk what you can't lose

Ive taken some incredible losses but i learned and kept driving
>>
>>79631454
>you're

>>79631897
>what are the GI bill, grants and scholarships
>believing that others are wasting their time
Has it ever occurred to you that people may enjoy things which make them a lot of money and also aren't degenerate?
>>
>>79631963
Kek, are you me, voltagebro?
>>
>>79625485

I knew very smart kids a school that were shitty at standardized testing, and complete idiots that have done well in life through luck, hard work or both.
But that being said, if you know your shit generally you'll perform well in school.
>>
>>79629195
>new teachers policy is to have you do the homework in class if you haven't done it, and grade it
>didn't do hw, get called out, solve it no problem
>she obviously has no idea how to handle it without backpedaling on the whole thing
>after 2 weeks, she tells me she will no longer call me out to solve it, but I shouldn't be surprised if I fail the test because I lack practice
>pass test
In retrospect, I should have done it, because it later on, not practicing proved problematic, but at that level I could solve most problems by just looking at them.

>>79629495
I don't think humanities shouldn't be taught, but I do think that, there are very few people who would need the detailed information they are currently forcing. Back when I was in school I think we had one of the best possibly music class - where we mostly listened to music - and art class - when we did 'art' (had fun) -.

>>79630244
If it is a shitty assignment of corse I won't do it. I value myself and my time more than that. Though it's not like I find everything boring and didn't learn anything.
>>
>>79625485
>a 2.0 student can know more than a 4.0 student
I'd like to see a single study that supports this.
>>
>>79632154
I meet new people everyday.

Sure, sometimes i meet people with promising futures in the area of schooling they chose. The system works for some people

But i meet an overwhelming amount of people who are finding themselves in mountains of debt, useless degrees, going back for masters because of no job, and no motivation. The system is broken for so many people now.

I thought outside the box and assembled a team of like-minded people and were grinding together. Like i said collaboration is the name of the game these days
>>
>>79625485
It does test obeidience. You think im going to hire someone who isnt going to do what i say?
>>
>>79632396
>2.7 GPA in high school
>34 ACT
>2.5 GPA in college
>100% on my bachelor's thesis and had it selected for student research of the year for my uni
It's possible to be very bright and not give a shit about your classes.
>>
>>79628891
Slo or pamona
>>
>>79632412
You also work with cannabis. Do you think this is pure coincidence?

How many of those people got degrees in stem, medicine or law? Have they considered taking up a trade? Why did they leave school?

I'm not suggesting that college is for everyone, and the system certainly is broken. I got my fix, but I know it's not for everyone. It's in desperate need of reform. Despite all this, I disagree with saying that it's useless or a waste of time.

Assemble your team of like minded people if it pleases you, I'd much rather participate in a team of assholes who know what they're doing. Good luck in your endeavors.
>>
>>79625485
It sometimes depends, but most normal jobs don't check.
>>
>>79632640
You're not a study, you're a counter example to the proposition "Anyone with a bad GPA can't possibly be better than someone with a high one".
>>
>>79632396
Yea I know plenty more about fixing an engine
>>
>>79632186
I believe so anon, I've been very lucky thus far. I hope you too can share in that luck, be safe voltagebro.
>>
>>79632412
>>assembled a team
>>disdain for education
MLM fag detected
>>
>>79632154
I goofed
>>
>>79632929
Sadly, not an electrician. I'm a gardener, but my story goes pretty much the same way, so cheers.
>>
>>79632862
You say that, but there are plenty of studies that show high school valedictorians do well in college, but go on to fail later in life because most of their work is just fucking the system to max their GPA rather than actually learn anything.

http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/rvp/pubaf/chronicle/v4/N2/ARNOLD.html

There's even a book about it. This is super old news. GPA doesn't mean dick in the real world.
>>
File: 2d tomato sauce factory.jpg (32 KB, 396x353) Image search: [Google]
2d tomato sauce factory.jpg
32 KB, 396x353
>>79631963
>union worker
>>
>>79633153
You're supposed to show me a study that shows there no correlation between GPA and success.
>>
>>79633001
Lol tried that shit a couple years ago. Ive only encountered one that had a working model that wasnt a scam. My team grows together, invests together and trades together. Simply put its finding friends who are actually serious about making $ and working together on the same page for a common goal.

>>79632825
Thanks you. You too man.

Oh and about the cannabis thing i live in a college town in California. You might as well be saying i work with cigarette smokers its literally that common here. School isnt a waste of time if you have everything planned out and actually stick to that plan, assuming your degree field isnt shit.
>>
>>79627677
Yeah the few out of the million might as well play it safe, graduate university and then do whatever you want
>>
>>79629862
Valedictorian
best out of 20 people?
>>
grades are important unless you are cream of the crop you have to put in it some effort in it but also its a reflection of how well you manage your schedule , state of mind , ability to put in consistent effort. All of which are going to be important as you get older and getting used to it early on and you'll have less hiccups you'll have in life and in the professional world
>>
>>79627497
100 Grand in Manhattan is peanuts
>>
>>79625485
My GPA is 8.55/10
>>
>>79633388
I'm honestly not the biggest fan of it myself, but in NYC if you're not in a union it's very hard to get stable work. A lot of my co workers are lazy older guys that just kinda skate by doing the bare minimum. But hey at least now I can afford to go to the dentist more than once a decade!
>>
>>79625485
Logic:
>American public schooling is an indoctrination machine
>Majority of US citizens send their children to public schools, strongly encouraged by government
>Schooling is tailored towards feminine values: tolerance, acceptance, sharing, community, etc.
>Education system centered around grading that is focused on memorization and regurgitation vs. independent, critical thinking
>Those who regurgitate the best (lowest levels of independent thinking), get the best grades
>Those who get the best grades, go to the best colleges
>People from the best colleges typically go into government positions where they reinforce the cultural values they were indoctrinated with

The truly intelligent are ones who completely understand the public propaganda well enough to intellectually critique it and propose radical changes to make the system better.

>tfw 3.91 GPA Chemistry B.Sc. who is still redpilled as fuck
>>
>>79631236
Yeah that is true, if you have a 4.0 in high school because you are going to go to a good University where you make good connections and are generally a smart person
>>
>>79627677
all the legends that dropped out excels their classes. they dropped out for real life reasons such as not wasting their time studying but focusing on business instead
>>
File: 1465162670748.jpg (19 KB, 426x333) Image search: [Google]
1465162670748.jpg
19 KB, 426x333
>>79625485
3.0 master race reporting in
Only reason I ever graduated high school was because my welding instructor some how manged to Jew the school and make his advanced class worth a math credit as well
>>
File: 1419026145269.jpg (114 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1419026145269.jpg
114 KB, 400x400
>>79625485

in very general terms, yes. a worthless burnout at school will simply become a worthless burnout at life.

people who do shitty at a school but try hard and pick up a decent work ethic still stand a chance because most jobs require a lot less mental acuity than school does.

>confusing obedience with following directions and meeting established criteria

typical lazy meathead thinking
>>
>>79625485
Basically the "I-i was just lazy during high school" argument
The chances of you doing shit in school while being an actual genius are pretty fucking slim
>>
>>79631963
Most degrees are worthless now a days.
>>
>>79633388

I get paid $50/hr + benefits to drive old people around Fairfield and Vacaville.

Selling your soul to satan has benefits. My SEIU gig is generous enough to let me afford both a house AND a summer home. I rent both out for passive income. I already have enough in my 401k alone for a retirement, and yet I'm still going to get like half my base pay as a pension.
>>
File: cubone.jpg (63 KB, 500x409) Image search: [Google]
cubone.jpg
63 KB, 500x409
Absolutely fucking not because it depends entirely on the subject matter and your overall motivation level.

I have a 3.8 GPA but I'm not pursuing a STEM degree and have done zero networking/internships/etc. GPA in this case is pretty much irrelevant.

I'm depressed and unmotivated to do anything truly productive. I still work hard in classes because I get a minute sense of accomplishment, but I have no overarching goal.

I guess in the back of my head I'm still hoping I will miraculously find some field that I would tolerate having a full-time job in and ALSO is open to people with shit degrees like Anthropology.

A family member graduated with a Theater degree and now works as a data manager for an IBM subsidiary. So who knows what could happen...
>>
>>79634119
That's a nice deal for you.

>>79634196
If the theater grad is a female don't expect to get anything like that yourself. White men don't get diversity points on applications.
>>
>>79628535
>graduated high school with a 1.3
s-summer school yes!
>>
>>79634119
Haha i from cowtown. Didnt know anyone else came from there posted here.

I could get a job bringing trays a food from the cafeteria to patients' bedrooms at Kaiser for $22/hr no experience or degree necessary if i wanted

What is with that town and old people jobs paying crazy good
>>
>>79625835
>calc
>physics
>easy

You're in for a wild ride buddy
>>
>>79625867
While that's true in most cases, it's not 100%

I took "Science Fiction" (A sci-fi themed English literature course) who's professor was a bleeding heart liberal, to the point where classes often dergared into her mocking Trump, or telling us all about white privilege.

I wrote the final essays and made the whole first thing about will to power. Referenced Oswald Sprengler, and Julius Evola, and made it as fascist as possible. The second was basically a story where a bunch of female characters arguing with each other about how opressed they are, and they get fucking slammed by the only one who think's they're overreacting and not knowing the place in the pecking order. I ended up getting a 95 on that exam
>>
>>79634484
Calc is easy if you're good at remembering things and can be basic algebra. Physics is easy if you can understand concepts and use memorized formulae in novel ways to solve problems.
>>
I personally have an above-average IQ, my GPA in school was like a 2.something cause I hated school and gave no fucks
>>
>>79625485
>be american
>go to post-commoncore school
>be in 12th grade
>only now learning long division
>50% of grade depends on "class participation"
>the other 50% is "emotional arithmetic"
>no actual math, only group artwork projects, powerpoint presentations and slam poetry
>final exam involves participating in school play about how the bantu people taught the greeks the pythagorean theorum
>barely pass with a D (41%) because you didn't raise your hand enough in class

american education is a meme
>>
>>79633436
Cigarettes are bad for you too.

In all fairness, I support the decriminalization of weed and even smoke it occasionally. Doesn't mean I'm blind to the kinds of followers it attracts.
>>
>>79625867
As an English teacher, fuck you.
Even when I had bad professors if you're not a giant asspie then you can work with them. Example:
When I moved to CA from MI a few of my credits didn't transfer. I had to take English 101 again. I didn't read the fine print, it was social justice English with a huge dash of racism on top. This professor was as social justice as you can get without a full head of colored hair. The books assigned to us were "Girls like Us" "Against the world and me" "Citizen" and there was one other one no one picked so it doesn't matter.
Their subject matter was either how women are victimized or how everything is racist.

I had to talk with the TA and she noticed how much of an issue I was having not going ful /pol/speeglord over this, she talked to the teacher who then emailed me, asking me if I was having "issues with the texts."

I said I did. That it'd kill me on the inside to have to do this and hate every second of it. We compromised, and she allowed me to do my project on The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene.

If you just communicate a little bit, you can make a bad situation better. At the end of the year I thanked her for working with me, but that that really shows that she's a good professor. She told me she let me switch the book because what if she has let everyone pick their own book, and someone picked let's say...Crippled America or The Art of the deal...she said she wouldn't have been able to be non biased about it.

My point is she wasn't the only teacher that I had to deal with like that.
>>
>>79635171
>be Ruskie
>forget to turn on your proxy
>>
>>79635441
i didnt forget
>>
>>79634729
this
>>
>>79625485
I'd say generally yes but there can exceptions like with everything else.
>>
>>79634729
Calc is easy if you can memorize a lot and also pay attention to details, and glean an intuition since the correct/fastest method to solving a problem may not be immediately apparent.
>>
>>79625867
My English prof was pretty redpilled, the whole semester was focused on government spying, the NSA, Snowden/Whistleblowers etc because all of that was blowing up at the time.
>>
>>79636328
When I took English in college it was all about writing scientific papers and rhetorical approaches to argument because I am in an engineering school.
>>
>graduated HS with a 3.8

Are you guys fucking retarded or something?
>>
>>79636494
Can only speak for myself.
Didn't care at all, played vidjer games during all my free time, which meant I got next to nothing done.
My work ethic has since improved quite a bit.
>>
>>79635323
Tl;dr.
>>
>>79636494
Are you a disgusting nerd or something?
>>
I studied business and most tests are essays that require critical thought. You can't really memorize that (obviously knowing the theories behind the subject matter is good). Some classes like accounting could "test obedience" I guess. This kind of shit is just complaint city for idiots. I have a buddy who works selling cell phones (we are in our ealy 30s ps) and he always posts articles of people saying degrees are worthless - it's experience that matters (which is funny because his experience is not traveling, sitting around and smoking pot. I guess he considers reading internet propaganda as experience).
>>
She's right though.

For 95% of students, a college degree is little more than a piece of paper that says, "I stuck with this bullshit for four years, so I'm able to commit myself to something." That's literally all it is.

I'm not saying it's worthless or stupid, but for those of you questioning why you should fuck with college, there's the answer.
>>
To me college isn't really going to train you heavily for your career. I say that all the way through post-masters degreesfrom experience (don't know about doctorates). What it is, is a big filtering system. It's a badge that shows people you can commit to something and accomplish it while taking care in what you do (higher grades). It simply filters out morons - obviously it's not 100% accurate and successful, but it helps!
>>
>>79636971

>that random, unsourced, percentage out of nowhere

regardless, you have a point about the commitment required. four years of commitment is precisely the kind of thing employers like to see. i suspect they are tired of employees who can commit to something for 3 or 4 hours before they need to be redirected.

commitment is not a small thing. so "all it is" is still significant.
>>
>>79625485
I was graduated from a nursing program and got my bsn with a 3.96 gpa. I also happen to be very lazy. Instead of studying a lot of the time i would play wow. The only reason i did so good was that i knew how to study. The key is just sleep good and for short intervals each day with a lot of relaxation. Anyways after i graduated and i realized i was an adult and had responsibilities i decidedbto work my ass off. So, i worked full time in an oncology unit snatching up as much OT as i could and working part time in a cardiology unit. I did that for 10 years. Now i just do the full time for my oncology unit with some OT he and there. With the money i earned from those years i became a partner in an auto dealership and pharmaceutical company in the DR. I dont really need to work that much with the income generated from those and thr money i saved and invested years earlier, but i do because i need something to do with my time. Honestly what motivated me was wanting to surpass my father.
>>
>>79625485
Considering the purpose of exams is to test knowledge, I'd say they definitely fucking determine how much you know.
It's muh-feels bullshit like essays which test your obedience.
>>
>3.0 undergraduate gpa
>fed gov paying for my ms
lol suck it taxpayers
>>
>>79626818

Tight deadlines.

Maybe if you are a 100 IQ mouthbreather.

I graduated from a top 100 in information systens and still had time to raid. Papers still never took more than two hours to write.
>>
>>79625485
I was like a 2.4 in highs school, and then ended up getting a 4.0 for the first two semesters, and then around a 3.5 after going to college.
>>
>>79636494
2.0 here

had a bad experience, came from a poor neighborhood, friends all dropped out, dindu nuffin
>>
File: smugyouko.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
smugyouko.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>mfw dumbfucks who struggle with compulsory education still think they're smart and make excuses like they're "underachievers"
>>
A scout is trustworthy, helpful, friendly, helpful, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverant
>>
>>79637619
welfare queen
>>
3.7 gpa right now, but it was 3.8 before I took Discrete Math last semester. Majoring in Comp Sci.

I gotta be honest though, I don't feel like I've actually learned anything in my major, and I've been in this for two years now. Something tells me I could have just studied this shit by myself and be further ahead than I am now.
>>
>>79625485

School is a place of learning, it is a ground of overall shaping of a growing individual.

Is it great at what it does? Maybe. It all depends on the individuals going through the system, and the individuals running the system.

Is it all-knowing and able to measure every aspect of a growing individual? Hell no, but it sure as hell will affect these areas during their growth.

Do we have better alternatives to school?
Probably not right now, school is a great thing, but it definitely needs a much more focused approach to its purpose, which also needs to be clearly defined.

So yes, a 2.0 student can know more than a 4.0 student. But a 4.0 student can also definitely know so much more than a 2.0 student.

Grades do determine intelligence to an extent, but you have to remember the context of those grades to begin with to make a fair assessment.

You also have to assess what form of intelligence it is afterwards. Is it a memory? Is it cognitive problem-solving? Is it spatial intelligence? Is it self-disciplinary intelligence? Is it self-awareness? etc

People want simple answers to a complex topic that we do not even fully understand, yet they don't want to go through what we do know to be able to judge their own situations.

There are just so much people that love passing around their feel-good non-sense after all, because clearly they have failed in becoming emotionally stable in regards to their own capabilities.
>>
>>79625485
I had a 3.5 and went to University for an Art Degree... So yeah, pretty fuckin' retarded. Got kicked out of an intense art program for missing two days because I got ill.

Besides the new crippling debnt I accumulated, I learned a valuable lesson that Art Degrees are for people who want to Teach art or be a Docent at a museum.

Also, Art classes are full of fucking social justice warriors, faggots, hipsters, and nu-males. Now I just want to be a Geologist and live amongst rocks because they're better than people.
>>
>>79625485
If the grades are in something quantitative like pure mathematics or hard sciences then yes. If it's shit like gender studies, biology, etc. that's mostly qualitative in nature then no, grades just show how much of a dick sucker you are.
>>
>>79639861
R A R E
A
R
E
>>
>graduated with a 4.22
so what
My gpa doesnt put food on my table, my job does.
>>
>>79625485
yes and no. I was really lazy my first 3 years so my gpa tanked. After that I got nothing lower than a B+.

So not including my first 3 years I had a 4.2
With the first 3 years I had a 3.6
>>
>tfw dropped out of community college
I'm more worthless than a liberal
>>
File: 1.jpg (172 KB, 875x988) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
172 KB, 875x988
>>79635323
"Brevity is the soul of wit" -- as an English teacher one would think you'd know this.

No wonder you fucking suck.
>>
File: 1467381571696s.jpg (3 KB, 125x100) Image search: [Google]
1467381571696s.jpg
3 KB, 125x100
>>79640707
You were not kicked out because you missed 2 days.
>>
Dropped out of school at 14, started working at a electricians company, 17 years later I owned it another 7 years later I sold it. Am retired now at 40.
>>
>>79625485
We have (or, had, as the rules have changed to accommodate shitskins and other idiots) a test in elementary school, where the maximum score is 550 and the lowest is 500. They add 500 so stupid children feel less stupid.

There are always those who complain that the test (Citotoets) os too hard and places children under strain. Mind you, people are 12 when they get out of elementary school, so it's not really so that 4 year olds are forced to do math. Not that there's any math in the test that's worth mentioning, but still.

I and many of my friends scored 550 and it became sort of a running joke to bully those who had a lower score. People say it's sad that we still know what we scored 12 years later, but I have a theory that everybody who doesn't remember his or her score didn't have 550 and it hasn't been falsified yet.
>>
>>79625485
>>Aside from that, is your performance in school a good indicator of your character or ability to succeed?

Yes, school is fucking easy and is essentially a claim check for 30% more lifetime earnings.

Unless you're a literal retard you are capable of getting As in school. It is a test of whether or not you are willing to do things you don't like in exchange for future benefits. That's all it is.
>>
>>79646878
What are you studying now bro?
>>
>>79647127
History
>>
>>79647396
Cool. You in Leiden, Amsterdam... ?
>>
>>79647470
Nijmegen, sadly. You? I'm going to Leiden next year for a master in China studies, probably.
>>
File: IMGSRC000112.jpg (16 KB, 470x264) Image search: [Google]
IMGSRC000112.jpg
16 KB, 470x264
Proper Dutch guy here r8 me
>>
>>79647595
I'm studying math in Delft. Seems like most Dutchmen on here don't go to university. How is history, full of liberal cuckoldry or not? I was thinking about doing a minor in history.
>>
I wish I could say no but if I'm being honest I'd have to say yes. Intelligence isn't everything. Hard work, patience, forethought, and perseverance count.
>>
>>79629862
may I add the group that likes learning on their own, which comes to the conclusion that half the humanities programme doesn't make sense and involves memorizing instead of reasoning?
most of the humanities are top down approaches and theories that aren't even certain. it personally sickend me so much I became ill whenever I tried to memorize the things you had to learn even though they could easily be explained otherwise or just flat out weren't true.
>>
>>79625485
There is some truth to this. I got a 3.8 GPA if calculated only with my STEM classes and 3.4 calculated overall. I just couldn't be bothered to spend the time and effort in the mandatory SJW bullshit liberal arts classes and got Cs and C-s in them. Someone with a 4.0 GPA (at least in an American school, don't know about else where) is pretty much just a good goy.

It's wrong about 2.0 GPA though. If you aren't interested enough in your major classes, that reflects in your GPA. Low GPAs like that are a huge red flag to employers for good reason.
>>
File: 1466626663950.png (211 KB, 307x311) Image search: [Google]
1466626663950.png
211 KB, 307x311
>>79647736
>mfw he posted a future french man
>>
>>79625485
And the 4.0 is more intelligent because he has more chances to get a better job.
>>
>>79625485
Genius here,
I think I'd was around 3.5 in the American grading system. The only reason I didn't ace every test, was because I literally put 0 effort into most subjects.

When I was in 5th grade, I was supposed to fail math class, because I never did my home work.

>math teacher like "anon, I kinda have to give you a F for never doing any homework"
> "But I very logic senpai!" I said.
> "Well, ok, you get A+."

Every teacher was super frustrated because I didn't give a shit, skipped school alot, didn't pay attention in class, etc.
Yet just from picking stuff up from when I did attend class and sometimes memorizing stuff 10 mins before tests, I was able to do well enough to not get punished.

Getting a good GPA is mostly memorizing useless shit. (Useless as in I'm neither interested in it nor will I never really need that knowledge.)

You can get me to do some simple physical work, but I'll never waste my time thinking about useless shit.
Anyone who does well in school by putting actual effort into it, should just kill themselves.

All the people who got a (close to) perfect GPA spent most of their lives repeating what they're told. Some of the dumbest, most boring people in my class.

Also ask me anything, since I'm so fucking smart.
>>
File: grayman.jpg (64 KB, 188x251) Image search: [Google]
grayman.jpg
64 KB, 188x251
I finished high school with a 3.8, got a 33 on my ACT. Never studied once, this isn't a meme or me bragging, I literally had no time as I worked two jobs since I was 16. No extra curriculars either.

In college I alternate every semester between academic probation (less than 2.0 gpa) to barely above academic probation (my highest in a semester was 2.5). College is a different beast than high school, it's not standardized. I don't want to blame liberalism for my failures, but I had trouble showing up to class as my college was 3 hours away from my house, and it was an extremely liberal school in Chicago that literally had diversity classes in its required curricula. I went for a biology degree hoping to specialize in radiology but it all fell apart when my internship was denied due to my low GPA, and so I couldn't make any connections and had to drop out, almost 20 credit hours short of graduation.

The one thing I noticed more than any other is that the people that got really high grades, the ones that were 4.0+ and leaders of the class, often worked in groups, sat next to each other in tests, spent a majority of their spare time in the office hours, knew the teachers personally and professionally, and took meticulous notes with highlighters (lol) and drawings. It's essentially like the workplace; you do a better job if you work with others and perform your tasks like you memorized them. One of my classes, organic chemistry, the professor literally told us you have to spend at least 5 hours reading, re-reading, note-taking and rewriting those notes over and over again to learn the subject material. For me, this was not learning, but forced memorization. It was not an efficient system of increasing intelligence and so I became dissuaded with the idea that college generates intelligence.
>>
File: 1467055190324.jpg (135 KB, 1279x722) Image search: [Google]
1467055190324.jpg
135 KB, 1279x722
>>79625835
>japanese

>hard

hilarious you math fags can't into anything abstract.
>>
>>79647762
It depends. Most teachers and almost all students are bluepilled and unlikeable cucks. Some teachers are incredibly good but they are all old and retiring now or in the following years.

Some courses were unbearable leftist propaganda though. We even had a course in "Gender history", although it was less SJW as I feared. I did have to pretend I had a different opinion than I had, but that is something you learn well when you study at the Rattenbout University. I have often doubted if this made me smart or if this made me cuck. I really don't know. I had a course this year about classical and modern rhetoric, which was the worst one yet. Literally every class was an anti-PVV hate session (which is what I called the course as a joke but it really wasn't a joke). Literally the teachers saying the PVV made them physically nauseous and how he is the next Hitler. They even said that the Netherlands were unique because this is the only country where it has ever been possible to posthumously vote for a homosexual fascist, referring to Pim Fortuyn. I objected, and they said they had went too far, but I very much doubt they meant tjay.
>>
File: dumb bitch.png (25 KB, 494x361) Image search: [Google]
dumb bitch.png
25 KB, 494x361
>>
>>79634729
>Calc is easy if you're good at remembering things

if OP were good at remembering things he wouldn't have flunked out of Japanese
>>
Aren't GPAs out of 7?
>>
>>79625485

Honestly, at my college, it was pretty darn easy to finish above 3.0 ever semester. It was only difficult if you were going for deans list, which was 3.5 GPA. Getting a 3.0 or higher was pretty easy as long as you put some effort into it.
>>
>>79649027
>Give me names
>Nobody is aloud to bring you down

Those replies made me rage more than the post itself.
>>
>>79648995
That sounds shitty man. Here in Delft we talk about Trump all the time, we even have one professor with a shirt that says "Ted Cruz is the zodiac killer".

What kind of classes did you take as a history major?
>>
>>79625485
She's somewhat right, the Prussian system of education teaches kids to conform to the government and not think for themselves. The government wants followers, not thinkers.
>>
I have been between 0.1 to 3.94

One of them was from Industrial Engineering other one is from Communication Design and I didnt study for either

take a guess which is from which
>>
>>79649144

In the USA GPA is 1-5 in high school and 1-4 in college.

I'm finishing with a 3.2 GPA (college) and that's even though I completely wrecked two whole semesters due to a nervous breakdown.
>>
>>79649144
In the US you'll get 4 credits for 100% in a class. So maximum GPA generally is a 4.0
>>
>>79649417
Some basic courses on classical history, middle ages, new times etc. Some on Dutch history, European history (i.e. EU shill 101), historical philosophy 1 & 2 (boring as fuck) and I did minors in Chinese, Journalism and Logic (which had some overlap with math which the alpha cucka couldn't manage, plus there was a qt from math, which aopears to be very rare).

Btw, do you know ppl from L&R in Delft? One of my best friends studies there.
>>
File: 1467300898670.jpg (65 KB, 643x530) Image search: [Google]
1467300898670.jpg
65 KB, 643x530
>>79625485
Grades don't tell about intelligence.
Grades tell how well you have read about the subject that is being tested.
But if you fail at school you are probably stupid.
>>
Pic is pretty much true.

High GPA is an indicator that you'll be a good employee who can follow orders and get shit done.

But you'll never the the entrepreneurs that those people are working for.
>>
>>79648841
Pretty much. The really smart people go to /pol, then eventually get too bored/annoyed and kill themselves. Or is it just me?

How often do you think about commiting suicide?
>>
>>79625485
Finished my degree with 3.83 GPA. Studied classical music though, so needless to say that got me nowhere..
>>
>>79648841
you sound butthurt. by far the best students are simply the smartest ones. you don't need study groups, or connections to do ANY of the work if you're smart.

if you're average, then yes, it's a test of your ability to navigate workplace like environments.

you just sound mediocre. people like you perenially raise the same issues. how can we make college suitable to you? it's ALREADY easier than it was 20 years ago. maybe you're just kinda dumb. a degree nver used to be something that 50% of americans had. if you're not smart, you don't deserve one. there's no "fix" for that.

some people don't need notes. "rewriting" notes is a problem with your notes or your memory smarter people naturally write more condensed notes because they're capable of creating more efficient mental networks.

college can't teach you HOW to learn. no one can. your brain sucks. it's an info dump, and then at the end you play with teh info. you can't do either. don't be angry that it wasn't some magical formula to improve your brain.
>>
>>79625485
High intelligence helps you get better grades, but most educatio systems are based on the effort you put in. Statistically, you should expect a higher IQ from people with good grades on average compared to students with bad grades.
>>
>>79625485
GPA was 2.4 act score was 28 with a 34 in science
>>
>>79649996
Well presumably you can play an instrument.

That'll come in handy when you have to panhandle on a street corner.
>>
>>79649486

I think hard work is an important thing to learn. In school it entails discipline, motivation, time management, organization, etc. These are all basic skills that you need to survive in life these days. What's missing from school is the skill of working self-directed, and sadly this is the most important thing you need to get ahead. Some people never learn it and need to be told what to do their entire lives,
>>
>>79649845
>Btw, do you know ppl from L&R in Delft? One of my best friends studies there.

Not really, I fucking hate Delftenaren, they're the kind of people who start emails with "Heehoi!". I live in Rotterdam and don't really talk to people besides other guys from my study.

Do you also take classes on economics or American history?

What are you planning to do after your masters? Do translation work for Shell in China or another one of these companies?

A master's degree in Chinese Studies sounds like it could lead to some interesting careers.
>>
>tfw only 3.5 gpa this year because bullshit touchy feely gen ed classes are mandatory first year

Fuck off, I'm here to learn CNC not connect with my supervisor and coworkers on an emotional level
>>
>>79650134
Luckily i don't have to beg, no. Work as a freelance translator now and it pays well. Don't regret studying music though, just wish i hadn't pissed my 20s away on some dumb shit.
>>
>>79649027
>fat pride
>nigger pride
>low iq pride
can we get this last one trending? I know you guys have ways to make it happen
>>
>>79650374
Wouldn't worry about it. Everyone pisses away their 20s.
>>
>>79650413
>low iq pride
Please, don't do it.
>>
>>79625485
>is your performance in school a good indicator of your character or ability to succeed?
On an individual basis, not necessarily, but as a general average, yes.

Same with IQ or being raised by a single mom, really.
>>
>>79649486
then why do germans invent half of everything. your creativity has created jungle bongo beats. fuck off tyrone.
>>
The claim that grades don't determine intelligence is true - a smart kid can simply lack the motivation to study.

But intelligence and knowledge are not the same thing.

A 2.0 student cannot 'know' more than a 4.0 one. If they -knew- it, they wouldn't have sucked ass on the test.

>is your performance in school a good indicator of your character or ability to succeed?

For >90% of cases, yes. Yes it is.

Of course there are outliers, like the straight A student who become a crackhead because he thinks he can handle it. Or the dropout who had enough of daddy's money to start up a successful restaurant.

For the most part, though, academic performance is a fairly reliable predictor of what kind of sucess in life someone is likely to achieve.
>>
>>79650470
we can call them dumb, but that won't hcange anything, as sane voices are suppresed. we need to get them to champion their own idiocy. that's the only way the signal can amplify to the top to get people to see.
>>
>>79625485
Yes

This is why you see less retards in STEM. The more Math a subject requires, the better quality of people you see.
>>
>>79625485
basically it says how good you are at:
1. Realizing you better not come across as a cunt
2. Not coming across as a cunt
Maybe it's not exactly intelligence but I'd say these are pretty useful skills in the real world
>>
>>79650626
Do you have to take bullshit SJW liberal arts classes in the UK? Those really dragged my GPA down because I just couldn't be bothered to put more than the minimum effort into them.
>>
>>79625485
im a firm believer that you can teach anyone to do anything, to spit back any fact or formula, to recite info and memorize, which is all education really is

its the hard workers that go the extra mile that get A grades, not necessarily the smartest workers
>>
>>79625485
It depends. Some course and purely merit, mostly STEM fields. Others are if you can repeat the same opinion.

If you take a feminist elective course, but write your essays and hypotheses from a critical perspective, can they flunk you even if said material is well researched and structured?
>>
>>79650749
if history and others was more rigorous, and actually imposed standards of failure upon the students, such that as small of a fraction of the population was able to succeed as can do so in math, I think the humanities would still be rigorous
>>
>>79651108
>can they flunk you even if said material is well researched and structured?

Yes
>>
>>79625485
My gpa equivalent is about 3.5 I think (67% in a masters in ChemE, whatever the conversion is for that), and I agree with that pic, I was surprised by a lot of the people who got firsts, I'd assumed they were fucking morons. I stand by that, they are still fucking morons. Most of them have no common sense and are completely blue pilled, I carried some group projects that contained some of the people who later went on to get good firsts, because they clearly didn't understand what we were doing. I also hated almost every moment of the course, maybe that had something to do with it. Some people also just do better in exams than others.

Generally it is a good indicator, for the most part a person who gets a third will be less intelligent than someone who gets a first. Then again, one of the smartest guys I know got a third in physics, a course he was completely unsuited for. Now he's doing a masters in engineering and will get a very high first.

So yes and no, it's a good general indicator but don't immediately assume someone is a genuine genius because they have a high GPA, and vice versa.
>>
>>79625485
No cuz I never did well in school do to procrastination but am smarter than a fucking bernie cuck I know who posts shit from the daily show to bash Trump. And he got a 3.0 average.
>>
>>79651073
that's patently untrue though. some people simply cannot learn certain things.

I used to tutor math, for example. even the "smart" niggers start to run into problems wth compound fractions. I had niggers with masters degrees come to me for help with compound fractions.

there's no way to "teach" what half is. it's an abstract concept. higher mathematics ignores it completely. it's HARD to teach them what half means. then, they don't understand equivalency. why? there's no equivalency in the jungle. you kill the thing. you eat what's available. only farmers had to learn equivalency. most of them don't have trouble with fractions (but the primitive ones, say, indonesians or thais) start to run into problems not much further along.

you literally can't TEACH equivalency. equivalency is something CHILDREN understand, even if they don't put it down in symbols. oh, except NIGGERS. their children don't understand it. ever. why would they understand it if yo gave them symbols?

is a monkey held back from speech purely because he lacks the appropriate tongue? no, because they can't learn sign language either.
>>
>>79650236
Yes it's the reason I chose a Chinese minor and want to choose a Chinese master, because history on its own is not really something you have good career options in, so I wanted to pursue something that gave me better options. A friend of mine works for the Asian department of a large company and he told me there is a large demand for Mandarin speakers. I always liked languages and I have a good memory and an almost autistic perseverance in grinding away amounts of knowledge, so Mandarin is perfect. Plus, I often practice with the qt from the local Chinese takeaway.

I had classes on economic history and many classes have economy-related parts. American history is a different kind altogether, you can choose classes in it and there's a minor of it, but I didn't choose it.

My friend isn't originally from Delft btw amd I share your hatred for overly informal people. We actually had a university-wide e-mail calling for people to stop doing this.
>>
>>79625485
If you think there isn't a correlation you're retarded.

If you think it's 1:1 you're retarded.
>>
>>79651108
>If you take a feminist elective course, but write your essays and hypotheses from a critical perspective, can they flunk you even if said material is well researched and structured?

Yes they can. And at some schools like mine you have no choice and have to take at least one of those. At my school we had to take a "world cultures" class which, unsurprisingly, didn't count courses that cover European cultures. Therefore, it was basically a way to force students to take a race-baiting liberal indoctrination class. I stopped taking the idea of GPA too seriously after that class because I now see it as a measure of how willing you are to take leftist narratives without resistance.

That being said, GPA is a good measure of your performance if you only count classes in your major.
>>
>>79625485
Honestly anything above a 2.5 tends to be good enough in my experience. I care more about how hard my employees work and how few fucks they give about working more. I would take a 2.9 student willing to work overtime every week than a 4.0 student who absolutely refuses to work overtime because of his family.
>>
>>79625485
3.2. I've brought shame to my race
>>
>>79637683
>top 100
>information systems
OH WOW SO PRESTIGIOUS

kys underachiever.
>>
>Hey professor I deserve an A because I know the size of Bruce jenners tits
>>
>>79625485
If you aren't smart enough to take full advantage of a taxpayer-funded education, then yes, you are fucking retarded.
>>
>>79625485
>class outlaw, constantly breaking the rules, getting shit teachers fired, kicked out of class for mischief daily
>3.14 GPA
Pretty sure it doesn't test obedience.
>>
>>79627954
True, if you are actually fascinated with an area of study that you have a knack for, it makes things a whole lot easier.
>>
>>79634484
Hate Calc because it all feels pointless but physics is easy as fuck, it is just applied mathematics. IDK everyone I know complained about physics, so maybe I am just good at physics.
>>
>>79651684
>Plus, I often practice with the qt from the local Chinese takeaway.

Fucking neat.

Now I'm really interested in the email you got. All day long students here are being bombarded with this bullshit from student associations:

>Heehoi!
>!!!!!!!
>Lijkt het jou ook superleuk om ...?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>Schrijf je dan snel in!!!!!!!!!!! Via deze link!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>Hopelijk zien we jou dalijk ook in augustus!!!!!!!
>Groeten van de XYZ-Cie
>>
>>79625485
>a 2.0 student can know more than a 4.0 student
no shit, that's why he has the better grades
>>
>>79651559
>>79651719

you are defining the problem incorrectly. gpa is a necessary but not sufficient condition.

confused? because you're dumb.

it is NECESSARY to be able to add 2+2 correctly to be considered intelligent. it's such a simple task that it doesn't guarantee intelligence. but if you can't do it, you're fucking stupid.

it's a treshold.

if you guys had ever taken a linguistics class, a computer programing class, a calculus class, a logic class, or basically anything remotely actually requiring effort, you'd realize that you're not properly bounding the conditions of the statement

ffs
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.