[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are referendums dangerous?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: rexmurphy.jpg (19 KB, 586x364) Image search: [Google]
rexmurphy.jpg
19 KB, 586x364
Did my fellow leafs watch the national this evening? Rex Murphey talked about the brexit referendum, not on the matter of brexit itself, but on people whining about the result.

Based Turtleman dropped some sick bants:

>pure egotistic tosh
>trendy enclaves of pious groupthink
>when the supersmart citizens don't like the result, its then we start to have a debate on referendums

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in0KFyZ3NBY
>>
Based. Well said Rex.
>>
>>79246586
Rex hits it on the head pretty often, anon. I wonder why don't have these threads more often.

Like, check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7NkjmUs8ZQ
>>
>>79244638

I'm always inclined to agree with this type of thing (that everyone with citizenship has an equal and fair say in the direction our country is governed), and on principle I certainly do. In practice however it seems to me like democracy doesn't amount to anything other than 'government by media' and this only allows the Jew to corrupt more or less everything once he gets it all under his thumb. Everyone on /pol/ should be aware already of how easily swayed public opinion really is and how shallow the views are of most voters. Not that I think the 'educated' should be more fit to carry a vote, they're the ultimate useful idiots and most of them are even more stupid than average. Make no mistake though, the average, working class hero, is a complete idiot and none of this vaguely communist style propaganda in their favour should really be too meaningful to you.
>>
He is literally the only redeeming part of the CBC.
>>
>>79248823
Certainly a valid perspective. Neither the Greeks nor the Founding Fathers ever anticipated that opinion and consensus could be gleamed in the moment from a little thing the size of your palm. But then, the original designs of democracy were never as all-inclusive as what we practice today.

I guess there is some weight on the side that would argue that referendums are dangerous. You're right, public opinion moves like water, and it isn't impossible to buy a majority with screen time. You and I, we're Canadians, and we choose our governments through this strangely indirect first-past-the-post system. Regardless of how "representative" it is, there's a speed-bump built in. A popular vote in a particular region does not guarantee a government, but it does guarantee that region a particular voice. The States has a similar system with it's electoral votes.

I guess, if nothing else, a referendum ensures that if one side wins, they can beat up the other side if they choose to disagree.
>>
>citizen's vote matters
>elect weedman

Going to have have to side with the elites here. I think democracy is too hard for most Leafs.
>>
File: 1466965487969.jpg (33 KB, 480x488) Image search: [Google]
1466965487969.jpg
33 KB, 480x488
Posting in a leaf thead
>>
>>79248823
I think only people who care for the nation should be allowed to vote. Either land owners, tax payers or both.
>>
>canada

lol
>>
File: Like Leaves In The Rain.jpg (21 KB, 605x289) Image search: [Google]
Like Leaves In The Rain.jpg
21 KB, 605x289
>>79250738
>the queen's representative appoints to the position of prime minister whomever can hold the confidence of the house

I've seen democracies you people wouldn't believe.
>>
>>79251000
But anon, everyone 'cares' for the nation, do they not? Everyone is well-meaning. Everyone of voting age is old enough to file a tax return. How do you separate the wheat from the chaff?

The Athenians mandated that only those who underwent military-training as a young adult and made an oath to the city state were entitled to the right to vote.
>Only adult male Athenian citizens who had completed their military training as ephebes had the right to vote in Athens
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athenian_democracy#Citizenship_in_Athens
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephebic_Oath

Have you read much Heinlein? I haven't, but
>starship troopers
had this to say on the topic of vote eligibility:
>"democracies of the 20th century", which according to the novel, collapsed because "people had been led to believe that they could simply vote for whatever they wanted... and get it, without toil, without sweat, without tears."
>Suffrage can only be earned by at least two years of volunteer Federal Service ["the franchise is today limited to discharged veterans", (ch. XII)], instead of, as Heinlein would later note, anyone "...who is 18 years old and has a body temperature near 37 °C"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_Troopers#Politics

This sort of opinion wouldn't fly today, but there's a steely sort of sensibility attached to it. It's a sticky situation, is it not?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.