[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are 'conspiracy theorists' treated like idiots
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
Why are 'conspiracy theorists' treated like idiots when it takes critical thinking to disagree with the accepted narrative? Unhinged maybe, but not stupid. Religious people take greater leaps of logic.
>>
>>78120836
"Conspiracy theory" as a cultural phenomenon dates from the widespread disbelief of the Warren Commission investigating the assassination of President Kennedy. The term was made up by COINTELPRO agents and propagated to discredit anyone who questions the official story. The community has made up the term "credulity theorist" to brand people who refuse to question the official story.
>>
Critical thinking / being a skeptic isn't the same as being a conspiracy theorist.
>>
>>78121124
tell me more...

I feel more and more that if you question the way events are reported or question how they took place, you are lumped in with those who still believe Elvis is alive, bigfoot fans etc
>>
People don't like conspiracy theorists because it is outside their own narrative and comfort zone that they grew up with. They can grow up believing in angles and it's all "ok" if someone says they got a message from an angel that said not to take that vacation, but if someone said they got a message from some ancient alien living in another dimension or like an angel does, then they are crazy.
>>
>>78121863
And in the end of the day an angel would by definition be an extraterriestrial since is it from off earth. But somehow people don't see that.
>>
>>78120836

Control.
>>
It was a meme started in the 90s to ridicule anyone questioning the official narrative.

Soviet did the same thing. It's a standard marxist strategy.
>>
File: 1459073858193.jpg (53 KB, 1548x384) Image search: [Google]
1459073858193.jpg
53 KB, 1548x384
>>78120836
This.

THIS THREAD IS NOW FOR PLAUSIBLE THEORIES, PROOFS, AND CONSEQUENCES OF THERE BEING TRUTH TO ANY OF IT
>>
>>78120836

>conspiracy theorists
>critical thinking

conspiracy theorists generally lack critical thinking and are far more likely to believe bullshit than your average person

I could make up a new conspiracy theory that is provably untrue on the spot and convince loads of people

what most of these retards don't realize is that creating, propagating, and fabricating 'evidence' for conspiracy theories are a tried and true method of manipulating public opinion and there are many confirmed cases of CIA and KGB doing this during the Cold War
>>
>>78120836
>when it takes critical thinking to disagree with the accepted narrative
No, some will say dumb shit without critical thinking just because it goes against the narrative.
IE Alex Jones has tons of followers.
Distrust doesn't make you smart.

Most people dismiss them because they don't want to hear about it though.
There's definitely shit that goes on behind the scenes.

>>78122282
>>78122686
Mostly these. Disinfo to discredit questioning has been done a lot. The wacky theories like reptilians discredit the realistic theories like causes of multicultural pushing by association.
Conspiracies are a fact and history is full of them. But people have been trained against them and to see them as laughable by media and the like.
>>
>>78122686
you could do the same with a news story and have similar results, like this

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/poll-finds-41-trump-voters-bomb-aladdin-city-article-1.2470693

Which comes down to a lack of education, and an inability to evaluate the reliability of a piece of information more than anything.

I think the confirmation bias of the average conspiracy theorist contributes to what you are suggesting is gullibility - if the powers that be have lied about situation A, then the conspiracy theorist would be far more likely to question situation B, if you follow me.

I don't doubt that certain conspiracy theories are created as propaganda to muddy the waters and conflate conspiracy theory with obvious fiction.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.