[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need some advice /pol/. I've been working at a place for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 1457639098132-1.jpg (161 KB, 1890x1417) Image search: [Google]
1457639098132-1.jpg
161 KB, 1890x1417
Need some advice /pol/. I've been working at a place for around two years now for nearly minimum wage now, and I've recently received a job offer for a bit more and full time. While I'd like to give two weeks notice, the job needs someone now and I'd be afraid I might miss it.

It's a large grocery store, so I know they could probably replace me fairly quickly (although I'm the only one who actually knows to do the job, as we recently has MASSIVE turnover and I'm oddly enough part of the seniority). One of the the things I'm concerned about is that if this job doesn't work out, then I'd like to go back as I know the people and the job's secure, but quitting without two weeks notice might burn some bridges.

Another reason I'm concerned is I'm not a total shitbag, and I'm the only one who knows to do the jobs I do there, which really fucks them over as they never bothered to train anyone else. I'd essentially cripple one department and one critical job would go undone and would likely cost the store several hundred dollars in wasted product for every week it doesn't get done.

I'm somewhat conflicted.

>inb4 not politics
The economy is a critical part of politics and the relationship between employer and employee is getting continually strained.
>>
>>75227275
People who pay close to minimum wage should expect to deal with unannounced employee exits. It's the business they are in. Take care of #1. Leave for the new job now.
>>
Tell your boss what you told /pol/ and you probably won't burn any bridges. Minimum wage jobs have high turnover anyway so they can probably handle it.

Plus, if you're a critical employee to the company, you can bargain for more than minimum wage.
>>
>>75227808
>Bargain for more
I tried, and we did look around, spending at least an hour, but he doesn't give them - corporate does, which is influenced by a (corporate) union.

In my position it was actually impossible to get a raise unless someone suddenly died/quit and I got bumped into full time.
>>
>>75227961
Sounds like you're better off looking elsewhere then. But if you're cool with them about leaving and give at least some notice you have have a better chance of getting your job back if need be.
>>
>>75227275
I hate to break this to you, but no min wage employee is business critical.

Go ahead and quit. They'll have you replaced by the end of the day, two tops. They'll train the new guy based on the existing training materials or bring someone external in to do it.

As an aside, and I don't know why this is, but this kind of attitude from min wagers really pisses me off. I've seen this argument come from kitchen staff at a McD's. Guy literally claiming that he couldn't be replaced and the company would loose tons of money if he left. Long story short he left, was promptly replaced and the McD's continued on as it always had without so much as a hickup.

TL;DR quit now, no notice. There's a reason your job is min wage-- anybody can do it and learn to do it in 8 - 24 hours.
>>
>>75229917
>I hate to break this to you, but no min wage employee is business critical.
I wanted to believe so, but I was injured for weeks once and couldn't come in, and one of the jobs simply wasn't done and no one else knew how to do it. I'm the equivalent of the internal mail person, and packages were left to spoil, go to the rats, or were simply left to pile for weeks on end.

The other one has such a high turn over I've trained three different people for the position, and they leave within two weeks.

Management at my place is really inefficient.
>>
>>75230123
ask for raise, and if they don't give get the new job.
>>
>>75227275
>Feeling remorseful for leaving a job that undervalues you
>Being too insecure to move on with your life and meet new people instead of pretending your friends forever

Leave. If the other job doesn't work out, get a new job. It's minimum wage, literally bottom of the barrel, of course turn over is high and the most simply jobs are ignored. You're a nobody and you are sacrificing becoming a somebody so you don't hurt the feelings of people who are taking advantage of you. Move. On.
>>
>>75232379
Heh, well fuck. Now that it's put that way, the people there would be selfish to keep me there.

Best advice I've received, anon.
>>
Take the new job. You're just a money maker for a company like that, and it's their own fault for not properly training their employees.

Alternatively, you threatening to quit might make your current job give you a raise to keep you.

The only reason to give two weeks notice at minimum wage shit is if you want a recommendation.
>>
>>75227275

If you are critical to your department you shouldn't be anywhere close to minimum wage. Go talk to your boss and tell him you've been offered another job with a significant wage increase and name your price to stay. If he doesn't give it then fuck him and move on.
>>
>>75232489
I understand Anon, I hate that feeling too. Akin to braking up with someone. You weigh the costs and feel like it won't be worth the short term stress so you rationalize that you need them too. But the situation doesn't improve and you end up worse off later in life. Don't become a person who works a minimum wage job for 10-20 years because he are obviously better than them. You have a work ethic and like feeling needed, so carry that over to your new job and keep moving up the ladder.

I was in the same position too. I started a job that paid me below average for my degree because I wanted a job no matter what. Then a recruitment company contacted me about a position that would pay me 1.5. I landed the job but had the difficult choice of telling my current employer that I was quitting after a month. But I needed to look out for myself because ultimately that is exactly what these corporate businesses do, they look out for themselves. My wife was denied a raise and her evaluation contained lies because the district manager wanted a bigger bonus. So I did what I had to do and experienced two weeks of cold shoulders and tension, but ended up 10 times happier.

I have faith in you, keep pushing.
>>
>>75227275
Give them as much notice as they would give you. if they needed to lay you off, would you get two weeks notice?
>>
>>75227275
Speak to your employer now, dude. Do NOT listen to the niggers saying "Just quit". You need this job on your references. Speak to your employer, lay it out straight: You need the job.
>>
>I'm the most important guy in the department
>minimum wage
>can't get a raise

You're being taken advantage of, leave and get a better job
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 429x514) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 429x514
>>75227275

At Will Employment works both ways (in theory). Barring a contract, you can quit for any reason and they can fire you for almost any reason at the drop of a hat. In practice, of course, the employer has much more leverage in the relationship (no reference, sullied reputation, etc).

I guess just go with your gut.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.