[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Red-pill me on OCD. Is it weakness of mind or is it a coping
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3
File: ocdcycle2.gif (3 KB, 419x240) Image search: [Google]
ocdcycle2.gif
3 KB, 419x240
Red-pill me on OCD. Is it weakness of mind or is it a coping mechanism for those troubled by the mundanity of ordinary life?

Any brOCD here cure himself?
>>
>>74294237
OCD can be really crippling. I tried to kill myself because of it. I also spent a month barely moving or eating because of the anxiety it caused.
>>
>>74294399
what are your obsessions focused on primarily
>>
>>74294237
Mild OCD

It manifests only when I am absolutely exhausted or completely stressed out.

There have been times where it took me 30 minutes to leave the house because I felt compelled to quadruple check everything in a particular order.

It's really wierd.
>>
>>74294561
When it was that bad it was germs. I am much better now but not cured and my obsessions can be pretty much anything.
>>
>>74294661
most irrational obsession you've had?

I mean germs and the like are pretty irrational, but what's that one fear that even as you attempted to resolve it you couldn't help but think how fucking retarded it was
>>
>>74294237
Had it real bad through high school. I still get compulsions, but am very thankful that the tics have ceased. I am not sure whether it was fortitude of mind that allowed me to cease the tics or if it was the natural course of my disorder. I think it has strengthened me, because after that how can I be embarrassed or shamed by anything? I was the twitching weirdo for so long.
Btw anybody hear about how a strep infection can cause temporary OCD? Here is the link:
http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/can-an-infection-suddenly-cause-ocd-201202274417
>>
>>74294848
Sometimes I freak out about things in video games and tv shows. It's hard to explain but like if I misunderstand something it makes me extremely anxious and I have to spend a long time calming myself down and reassuring myself it's okay not to get things in a movie or whatever.
>>
>>74295070
I had strep way back at 5, and that is when I, and others in my family, recollect I started becoming a more anxious child.

I heard that PANDAS was a temporary disorder though. If strep did cause obsessive compulsive symptoms in me, then I'm 15 years overdue for it to cease.
>>
>>74295294
I do the same thing, holy shit. I also have trouble reading because of that.
>>
File: 1424544214739.jpg (42 KB, 712x712) Image search: [Google]
1424544214739.jpg
42 KB, 712x712
>think about swallowing
>swallow
>feels weird
>swallow again
>lump in my throat, swallow again
>still feel weird, swallow again
>continue this process for about three days, my throat hurts by now
>but peppermints to suck on to stop my throat from hurting
>have like 20 peppermints a day for like a week
>heart palpitates every time I have another peppermint
>get extremely nervous every time I have another
>stop eating peppermints
>begin thinking about throat again
>swallow uncontrollably
>hurts again
>rinse and repeat

Do I have OCD or am I just a bitch? I really can't tell.
>>
>>74295469
Sometimes when I read I will have unwanted thoughts that distract me and interrupt my reading so I have to start sentences over again pretty often.
>>
>>74295625
You definitely 100% have some anxiety issues. Although not necessarily OCD.
>>
>>74295338
Same here anon, lots of strep as a kid and now OCD/anxiety disorder. I used to go to a lot of docs and most of them didn't even know about PANDAS or dismissed it as pseudoscience
>>
I also remember as kid having a phase where I was obsessed with not stepping on cracks in the sidewalk. I used to be obsessed with doing things in multiples or 3.
>>
>>74296046
i feel like it's time to accept defeat honestly. it's like a parasitic relationship with the imp in my head, and it's not going anywhere.
>>
>>74296651
I'm sure if you hang in there it will lessen a bit. I used to be super autistic about stuff and I still have to wash my hands before touching stuff but it's better
>>
You can take meds for it, get hobbys and lots of sleep.

80 percent of it will go away. Just don't masturbate with your hands if you got the intrustive thought disorder ocd.
>>
Obsession: I must quit smoking
Anxiety: I'm really gonna do it I'm really gonna do it ohshitohshitohshitohshit
Compulsion: I did it
Relief: Well done. I've earned myself a smoke!

THE RIDE NEVER ENDS
>>
>>74294237
I don't know if it counts as OCD, but I do this weird thing with my thumb a lot, I don't know if I can explain it well. I have to push it up against something in a manner that bends the knuckle normally and like pushes the base part of my thumb toward my palm. I broke that thumb when I was little and throughout the day I just imagine what it would be like to suffer major injury to my fingers (like being bent backwards or something),l. This makes me cringe and I have the compulsion to do this action.

If it does count, at least my "tick" is minor.
>>
>>74296651
Do you take medication? It has helped me immensely. I would have killed myself without it.
>>
>>74295625
I have this problem when I am lying down.
I have been diagnosed with OCD for other rituals/compulsions/obsessions I definitely think swallowing is a part of it.
>>
>>74297146
meditation>medication in my opinion. I'd be down to try, but I'd prefer to reach an end point by myself.
>>
OCD anxiety fag here, just wait till you start obsessing about existence itself. What a fucking treat that was.
>>
>>74294237
>weakness of mind
only ignorant retards think this way
it's like calling someone suffering from cancer "weak"
a disease is a disease... the brain is an organ just like any other.
>>
>>74297394
> checking the oven

Ben?
>>
File: 1458086611814.jpg (254 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1458086611814.jpg
254 KB, 500x500
>>74295784
>>74297339
Fuck, man, I don't even clean my room or wash my hands, I can't have OCD.
>>
>>74297355
I used to think medication was for weak people and all that horse shit. But would you expect someone with a physical medical problem to not recieve treatment? Should someone with diabetes just be tough and not take insulin? Should someone with an infection just stop being a pussy and skip the antibiotics? No? If so then why should mentally people forego medical treatment?

Meditation is definitely very very helpful but you can do that alongside taking medication.
>>
>>74294237
omg its the tumblr meme OCD not actual OCD

real OCD is thinking if you dont wash your hands 3 times before you leave your house something bad will happen. it transcends basic anxiety about doing something and reaches a almost religious level where your actions or lack thereof supposedly will affect others or the world in general

it pairs well with paranoid schizophrenia
>>
>>74294237

It's real, people with OCD do not have the normal filter that most people have that keeps obsessions and compulsions from arising.
>>
>>74297339
>I definitely think swallowing is a part of it.

all you need to do is stop sucking dicks, faggot.
>>
>>74297641
Not what OCD is bruv

>>74297684
OCD to me is just faulty cognitive processes; last time I took medication for it I didn't know as much as I do now, so maybe I should go back on meds just to see if the remedy is more chemical-based or cognitive like I previously thought

>>74297749
Nice kneejerk reaction thinking I'm talking about "tumblr OCD" in the OP just because you have basic knowledge on the subject above the ordinary pleb and think you need to spread awareness. Your post is more suited for >>74297641
>>
>>74297684
what do you take?
>>
>>74298231
Generic prozac and wellbutrin I think.I cant be bothered to go check the bottles.
>>
>>74297969
this "filter" you speak of is funny, because if you have OCD it's very easy to pinpoint at which moment the "filter" is supposed to come into play for the neurotypical person.

Even if you're consciously aware of this, the anxiety is reinforced and you end up worrying regardless
>>
>>74297641
Handwashing is a common trait, but I have met plenty of people with OCD who don't have it. It's a stereotype, and like most stereotypes there's an element of truth to it.

If you really want to know if you have it analyze your daily routine, internal monologue, and actions. If you notice ritualistic irrational responses to things that you are just used to, you probably have OCD.
For an example I was unaware I had OCD until a janitor at my Uni asked me if I have to hit a certain amount of steps on my pedometer. I don't have a pedometer. I just paced alot after reading a passage in a book, or while I was thinking, or after a bite of food when eating alone. Never even realized it until he asked.
>>
>>74298661
Do you meditate at all? It's supposed goes hand in hand with the meds.
>>
>>74296582
Same. Still do shit in multiples of three.
>>
>>74298866
I meditate in my own informal way. It definitely helps.
>>
>>74298795
as an addendum to this; for me, once I recognized OCD for what it was in my life, I was able to reevaluate my past and realize all of the shit that was wrong with me back then applicable to the mental illness and anxiety in general.

A whole new level of self-awareness opens this way. It's not a matter of "what's wrong with me" it's a matter of "here are the numerous examples of things I'd consider to be wrong with me, here's a personal evaluation (and in turn professional diagnosis) of what's wrong with me, and here are the steps to approach my fundamental cognitive errors"
>>
>>74299303
I agree wholeheartedly. The best way to confront it is through introspection.
>>
Everything in its right place
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.