[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on Noam Chomsky...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 7
File: chomsky.jpg (6 KB, 276x183) Image search: [Google]
chomsky.jpg
6 KB, 276x183
I know he's a leftist and a Jew, which usually automatically triggers hatred but he's not a Zionist and has been banned from Israel.

Have read a decent number of his books, and many of his economic ideas make sense-- the main problem is that capital is transferable, but labor is not and the US's main industry is now a bunch of Jews (he doesn't use that term) playing complicated financial games to swindle money. Even companies like GE that used to actually "make" something.

Much as I admire him, I wish he would come out and just address the glaring problem of the US having a hostile, foreign elite (Jews) who have disdain for those under them and are loyal to a foreign power.

Thoughts? A lot of what he talks about: i.e., American works in the new "globalized" world being forced to compete with exploited Chinese labor-- is exactly correct.

Even as someone who supports Trump, I'd gladly support him for some sort of cabinet position, even tough it will never happen and imagine he doesn't like Trump.
>>
>Noam "Khmer Rouge dindu nuffin" Chomsky
>Noam "What Cambodian Genocide??" Chomsky
>Noam "At least Pol Pot isn't a white american imperialist pig" Chomsky
>>
>>74222452
>he's a leftist and a Jew
He should be gassed
>>
That stuff where he talks about the transfer of capital and labor is some good stuff. He said back in the day most people worked on the family farm. And going to the city to get a "job" was seen as "submitting" yourself to labor. Strange thing though people in the midwest still refer to city dwellers as "educated idiots."
>>
he's a dumb sack of shit who is always wrong
>>
>>74222452
Whether you agree with him or not, his arguments are gernerally well thought out and explained in a convincing way. However I think that by asking that question here you're going to get responses like:

>>74222644
>>74222716
>>74222907
>>
>>74223245
If they were well thought out, he wouldn't be a commie apologist.
Remember, cambodia din du nuffin!
>>
>>74223245
Yeah but those are useless posers, I don't give a shit. Only about 5%-10% actually know anything here.

I'm currently watching a documentary about him called "Requiem for the American Dream." Lots of what he says, if you agree or not, does make sense.

And it takes balls to turn on the Jews enough to get banned from Israel when you are considered one of world's great minds.

Other opinions or thoughts?
>>
>>74223675
>ambodia din du nuffin
It's a bit more nuanced than that anon. And I sat that as someone whose father did 2 tours in Vietnam and it left him with awful PTSD that resulted in me getting my ass kicked and almost choked to death numerous times for waking him up and he'd be having flashbacks.

Even so, if you have (or know how to nigger-rig) netflix, try, watching the documentary or torrent it. "Requiem For The american Dream."

If we were a true Jew sellout looking to enrich himself, you can bet he got a lot of offers to become rich to speak out in favor of Israel.

Instead he got himself detained, expelled and banned.
>>
File: 1461943952239.jpg (18 KB, 351x329) Image search: [Google]
1461943952239.jpg
18 KB, 351x329
After getting BTFO by that gay Frenchmen (but I repeat myself) and being wrong about he Khymer Rouge, he has taken to speaking in the typical leftist fashion of only implying statements and predictions, so he can deny he ever said something incorrect. It is incredibly frustrating to listen to.

His work was pivotal in the development of programming languages as they are now known though, so I give him credit for that. And his book on propaganda is top tier.

He's a mixed bag.
>>
Anti-war stuff during Vietnam era is good. Only scholarly work when it come to politics he is done. Everything else is leftist ideological bullcrap
>>
>Chomsky has evolved to where he's actually defending Nixon and his economic policies.

Nixon will always be my favorite modern-era president (fav of all time after Jackson). He despised the JEws for corrupting the US and the press and made no secret about it.

If you go back and watch the tapes of him rather than just listening to the Jews talking about him with their Talmudic hatred, he was right about 99% of what he said as far as the press, jews in media, etc..

In many ways, Nixon was basically Trump before we had Trump. It' amazing to see him having come around to support many of Nixon's policies in his old age.
>>
File: keksky.png (4 MB, 2516x1546) Image search: [Google]
keksky.png
4 MB, 2516x1546
>>
>>74224292
>And his book on propaganda is top tier
do you have the name anon? Trying to compile a list of his good books that I haven't read yet.

Yes, he was wrong about a lot of things when he was younger and openly admits as much. So did Macnamara if you've ever seen "Fog of War" (which is required viewing for this board).

He was wrong about a lot of shit. what i'm interested in, what did he learn from his mistakes and what would he like to pass on?

Example-- compare the two films made y same director on two former secretaries of defense, Macnamra and Rumsfeld. One comes off as a genuinely earnest man who is haunted by his mistakes.

the other comes off as an arrogant scumbag still not willing to admit to any of his fuck-ups. Worth watching both "The Fog of War" and "the Unknown Knowns" to compare the two and see who was the genuine person and who was the scum of the earth.
>>
An old windbag that actually defended the Khmer rouge
>>
File: 1460774775994.png (2 MB, 673x866) Image search: [Google]
1460774775994.png
2 MB, 673x866
>>74224917
Manufacturing Consent.

Rigorously outlines how The Powers That Be push information and sway opinion.
>>
>>74223675
His writing on Cambodia was a comparison of how American media covers war crimes by allies (ignored or under reported) vs. crimes committed by enemies (usually exaggerated). His critics turned that nuance into cambodia din du nuffin!
>>
>>74224917
>>And his book on propaganda is top tier
>do you have the name anon?
Also his documentary Manufacturing Consent is good too when it comes to exposing media.
>>
Multimillionaire anticapitalist. Allegedly favors anarchism but never really explains how it would work, and if you listen closely, his ideal society would require lots of government power to prohibit all the things he doesn't like. Oh, and this anon said it well:

>>74224292

His linguistic work has had important consequences for computer science, but pretty much everything else from the last 50 years is being methodically discarded, particularly the whole Language Acquisition Device nonsense. His rhetorical style has led him to have more influence than he deserves, and his death will improve the field.
>>
>>74224983
>An old windbag
Your not getting the message anon. I;m not claiming he was perfect or that I agree with all or even most of his ideology.

I'm saying he has a lot of ideas about the US economy that are spot on, and moreover he admits his mistakes, just like Mcnamara did near the end of his life.

these are the people we can learn from as opposed to the corrupt Jews who go to their grave maintaining they were always right and trying to squeeze out every last shekel.

And yes, it is "fashionable" for leftists to express their admiration for him, which is why most here will automatically write him off.

All I'm suggesting is that you listen to some of his ideas about the Us economy. If he was hated enough by the Zionist Jews to get banned from Israel, he at least has some principles.
>>
>>74225240
Sounds like dindu nuffin to me. He could've picked any other conflict. He chose to defend a regime that had to get ousted by a country that ran re education camps and killed dissenters
>>
File: Justice for Palestine.png (1 MB, 2075x936) Image search: [Google]
Justice for Palestine.png
1 MB, 2075x936
BASED
A
S
E
D
>>
>>74225626
WE WUZ ANTISEMITES N SHIET
>>
>>74222452
European countries need nationalism now more than ever. You can't be a nationalist and an anti-zionist at the same time, so fuck this guy.
>>
>>74225472
I really doubt any of his economic ideas are worth a damn. And if hating Zionists makes a man have have values then isis and al queda are good people according to you
>>
>>74225626
>Many of the supporters are not jewish
>those opposed are either commies or lib-kikes

Your image has convinced me Israel is truly our greatest ally
>>
duh duh duh duh j00z

you get the same level of thought from teenage stormfags on here but he gets fees for his dumb opinions haha
>>
>>74225240

No, it was a hedged critique of reporting on the Khmer Rouge. My favorite part is when he describes a book as both "serious and worth reading" and "careless". Good old Noam.
>>
It really depends on what he is talking about. I think that at his best he is a brilliant intellectual... which is why his generic lefty arguments about how evil the USA is are so disappointing.
>>
>>74222452
most of the us, or any western ecconomy for that matter, is comprised of servises rather than physical products.
much to his disdain his favorite book, das kapital, is outdated.
it seems to me you like him solely on the basis of his real, or imaginative, dislike for jews.
>>
>>74225351
>Multimillionaire anticapitalist
At least he made his money through honest work and publishing books and teaching-- not by manipulating money around to screw the actual working people out of all they can.

I look at a place like Goldman Sachs, which is the definition of evil and has their hands in literally every election scandal on both sides of the aisle, from Clinton's speeches to Cruz and his wife.

How long before the American people just have had enough of Jews manipulating money to enrich themselves with no real benefit to the nation and just charge the building en masse and burn it to the ground?

How much more will it take? Previous generations would have done it decades ago. Thef act that congress still allows them to operate openly and still accepts their donations--from obongo to the republicans-- is frightening and shows just how corrupt entire system is.

Bot did the SCOTUS screw us on a chance to get at least a foot in the door on campaign finance reform. Really can only pray Trump wins and turns out not to be a fraud.

Even as a former Sanders supporter (no, never "phonebanked" or seny him shekels), I;m voting for Trump just on the off-chance he might really shake things up, rather than same old, cronyism, rehearsed bullshit paid for by Goldman Sachs.
>>
>>74225574
Never defended them. In fact he pointed out just how gruesome their crimes were. It was topical at the time he wrote it, and it served as a good comparison to how other atrocities at the time were covered. If you don't like the guy or his opinions, that's fine. I don't think he's right about everything either, but at least take issue with what he actually wrote
>>
>>74223775
For added lulz, just acknowledge the fact that he lived for a time on an Israeli kibbutz. Just like Sanders, with whom Israel ain't too friendly.

He's true jew, too jewish for the zionists.
>>
>>74226146
Like what because what the commies did in Vietnam is largely overlooked while that one village that us soldiers wiped from the map is constantly talked about
>>
>>74222452
>but labor is not and the US's main industry is now a bunch of Jews (he doesn't use that term) playing complicated financial games to swindle money.
Correct.

But he's a Jew.

Convert or I won't pay you attention. You jews do nothing but lie. This is the biggest reason why the world is decaying - lies. You crucified your messiah, if you followed you wouldn't be dealing with these technical issues.

t. Judeo-Christian
>>
File: dees-jewbulldzoer-laugh.jpg (150 KB, 582x611) Image search: [Google]
dees-jewbulldzoer-laugh.jpg
150 KB, 582x611
>>74226108
No, I said I admired a man who would stand up to the cabal of AIPAC and american Zionists among his own tribe who have a well-docmented reputation for ruining the lives/ending the lives of those who dare to go against them.

It shows strength of character and proves that he isn't a hypocrite like almost every other Jew in the US on the Left..
>>
>>74226317
Not a Jew myself anon. Baptized and confirmed in the Catholic Church, which is a bit embarrassing now desu given the way francis is behaving as the literal anti-christ.
>>
>>74222452
He really likes to fancy himself an elitist intellectual alright
He does have a big brain on him and uses that to razzel dazzle the audience a lot of times
"Yo Chom. What about whatever issue?"
"Well big word big word big word."
"Wow. Didn't think of it like that. Guess I'm an idiot cause I don't know what he's saying"

He does this all the time during Q&A sessions
>>
>>74225855
kek

I agree.

And Hitler agreed too.
>>
>>74226640
I'm waiting for someone who understands his ideas on economics to give a valid criticism.

Lots of his other shit, I can do without. But his ideas on the economy seem pretty spot on.
>>
>>74226146

No, he didn't. He wrote:

"Hildebrand and Porter present a carefully documented study of the destructive American impact on Cambodia and the success of the Cambodian revolutionaries in overcoming it, giving a very favorable picture of their programs and policies, based on a wide range of sources."

He favorably cites a book that minimized the atrocities.
>>
>>74226584
>Baptized and confirmed in the Catholic Church, which is a bit embarrassing now desu given the way francis is behaving as the literal anti-christ.

The catholic church is the whore of babylon right now. It needs members with knowledge and intelligence - 2 things it does not have right now.

Francis is literally pride and greed incarnate. 2 things killing this planet.
>>
>>74226358
So you like either like him for not liking Jews or you simply being this up to try and get people to support you. I'm guessing the latter.
>>
>>74226267
I think if you look at the totality of American media reporting on the Vietnam War, especially while it was going on and not 40 years later after we've normalized relations with Vietnam, you'll find that very little reporting was done on the Mi Lai massacre, and practically none of it was done in a way that would have been construed as critical of our actions
>>
His ideas on campaign financing and how corrupt it all is is why I, along with everyone else who sort of moderately supported Sanders, will be voting Trump.

If we don't have a major change of some sort to shake up the rigged, oligarchical system, the US is not going to last another 30 years as a nation.

We;re going to break up just like the USSR. Go back and look at what was being said in the years before the USSr collapsed.

The CIA was given 15 billion a year solely to study the USSR from every angle-- and they had no idea what was coming. Even with all its secret police, Stasis, spy agencies, etc.. it just collapsed almost over night.

when the next bubble bursts (it will be the tech bubble) and the US has to default, I see a scenario where states begin to break off from the Union, beginning with Texas.

Is the US going to send in the Spec Ops from JSOC to retake texas? Where do people think those soldiers come from? Are not going to fire on their own people.
>>
>>74227036
>you simply being this up to try and get people to support you
Am I running for a fucking political office?

Yes anon, my goal is "to try to get people to support me" on an anonymous Cambodian Cave Painting forum..
>>
>>74222644
Even worse than his initial denialism is they excuse he made about
>according to the data we had at the time would could not have known about the genocide

This is wrong anyway, leftists like Chomsky routinely said that Cambodian defectors were liars.

Moreover, in the first two years of the Khmer Rouge regime it referred to its self as 'the Organisation', and it's leaders were referred to by number.

And this was treated by Chomsky as though there was nothing sinister going on.
>>
>>74226880
Probably copied from the same source you used, very first paragraph:
"I mean the great act of genocide in the modern period is Pol Pot, 1975 through 1978 - that atrocity - I think it would be hard to find any example of a comparable outrage and outpouring of fury and so on and so forth." -- Noam Chomsky, in the documentary "Manufacturing Consent," 1993.
>>
>>74227100
Ok and his book was written after the war when it was fashionable to spit on veterans because they were "baby Killers" and the democrat party did everything they could to destroy what we did there and demonize it
>>
>>74226803
>Lots of his other shit, I can do without. But his ideas on the economy seem pretty spot on.
We need to a degree shares and bonds, because it allows a person to produce without the cash itself.
This is needed in starting up projects.

The problem is relying on derivatives for nothing but income for personal use. It's increased the nominal value of things(it's price), done nothing to the real value. This means things are way overpriced and inflating rapidly. I suspect it'll inflate exponentially too.

Essentially, it'll allow only the very wealthy to have real wealth, making the poor powerless. This will destroy the planet in the long term (or even the short term at this rate)

I suspect Trump realised this, hence why he's moved into politics.

The 1st real technocratic politician. If he's righteous, he'll try to make us all technocrats. Essentially destroying Greed.
>>
>>74227489
Wouldn't surprise me with how serious college kiddies from reddit and tumblr take this site. The I'm one of you guys tactic is an old one
>>
>>74227502

No, I'm quoting the original Chomsky and Herman article from the 70s. The 1993 film was much later, after everyone knew what had happened.
>>
>>74227534
Which book are you referring to exactly? His opinion on the Vietnam war was well known from the very beginning of the conflict. The "Democrat" party was primarily responsible for getting us involved in Vietnam. What exactly did we do there that they are trying to demonize?
>>
>>74227889
And the party changed from the time that jfk was in power to the 70s where Nixon had essentially ended the war and they got in power and did what they could to erase what he did
>>
>>74222644
literally who cares about khmer rouge. overall chomsky has a great record. better than Germany's.
>>
>>74227870
Ok different quotes from different sources. The point is he was no apologist for Pol Pot or the Khmer Rouge. He acknowledged their atrocities. His critique was of the way atrocities are covered
>>
Who gives a shit about his politics let's talk about Universal Grammar
>>
>>74227982
I don't understand what you're trying to say
>>
>>74228175
Because you can't read or what? The democrats changed from kennedys time. Their goals and views were completely different
>>
>>74225626
>That image

lel

Maya Angelou is a massive Jew dicksucker, she will do anything for exposure.
http://www.haaretz.com/world-news/1.595921
>>
>>74228311
So what? Republicans have changed since Nixon. What the fuck does that have to do with Chomsky's views on American media and their coverage of war crimes? You dumb bastard
>>
>>74226116
same
>>
>>74228515

It wasn't some stand out thing is what I'm saying. The loudest opinions in the country were against the military and all he did was publish a hit piece to further his views in a time when people were seriously thinking the U.S might turn socialist. This attitude continued well into the 80's until the college kids and twenty somethings of the 70's and 80's publicly apologized for their behavior
>>
>>74228705

*70's and 60's
>>
>>74222644
Nice meme.
He pointed out that many news sources exaggerated firsthand accounts from Cambodian clergy. Ever since then, people have been screaming about him denying Khmer Rouge crimes.
He definitely has expressed his disapproval of the Khmer Rouge in interviews.
>>
>>74228705
No. Opinions during that time were not against the military. There was a large anti-war movement for sure, but mainstream opinion was squarely in support of the war.
His critique was not of the military, but about how the press covered war crimes committed by "us" vs. war crimes committed by "them."
Nobody thought the country was going to turn socialist. It sounds like you're trying to make his opinion on this matter into something it isn't
>>
>>74227638
>how serious college kiddies from reddit
Nigger, I was on this site back in 2008 when it was still fun and when "we" created anonymous.

I'm not part of the "le-reddit-le-donald" influx that has actually been ruing this fucking board. Election years always suck here but this year has been a real hard-on.
>>
>>74225351
Any evidence that he's a multimillionaire? At most he might have made a lot from his books.
He has mentioned several times that anarchist socialism would work through a decentralized, community-based system of syndicalist self-management. He has mentioned that he doesn't like certain things, but preventing them from taking root everywhere isn't necessarily tied to government.
>>
>>74229072

First i said the loudest learn to read. Second the media was at the forefront of the anti war anti military action. I lived though the 70s i saw this shit first hand.
>>
If chomsky could ever speak truly "Freely," I wonder how much of a "race realist" he actually is.
I refuse to believe that deep down, he doesn't recognize the IQs differences and the 70 ang IQ in Africa.
We'll never know how many academics buy into this bullshit bc to ever state such a belief is now the Medieval equivalent of heresy. Look at what they did to Dr. Watson, Nobel prize winner who c-disocered the DNA double helix.

They fired him from his own institution and bankrupted him for faring to express a belief that humans evolved differently in different environments and that IQs vary in human population.
>>
>>74229684
(i know, my spelling is shit, typing on a tiny phone on a moving train).
>>
>>74229492
Why does everybody resort to the "I'm old so I know" hogwash. I lived through the 70's too. The media didn't start to question the way unil it was practically over, and they were NEVER anti military, they just questioned whether the war itself was a good idea. Anti war and anti military are not the same thing, and it still has fuck all to do with Chomsky's opinions on Cambodia
>>
>le finance is a big scam game

You can read "a decent number" of Chomsky's trash political books, but you can't read a single book about finance?
>>
>>74229865

I'm talking about the 70's when he wrote his book you buffoon.

And Chomsky's opinion on Cambodia are/were influenced by the Vietnam war.
>>
>>74230094
Yes I know he wrote about this in the 70's. We can agree on that. His opinions on how the media covers war crimes has nothing to do with the American public or the American media's perception of the war. I really don't know what it is you're trying to convey. I'm gonna go do something else. Have a good one
>>
>>74230381

He choose low hanging fruit so morons like you could lap it up while ignoring the crimes that his communist pals committed
>>
Decent psychologist when it comes to cognitive linguistic theory. Horrible politician and philosopher.
>>
File: IMAG1253.jpg (2 MB, 2368x4224) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1253.jpg
2 MB, 2368x4224
>>74229684
Fuck I keep trying to reply but my phone is a fag.

>>74229684
This reminds me of what Hitler said about blacks in the Olympics. He wasn't hatin' he just didn't think it was fair to include a people who had evolved to flee leopards.

It's such a matter-of-fact and simply stated idea that I'm sure there are ways to pass it to normies. Sometimes ESPN anchors talk about it without even getting fired. Sometimes. Bill Burr has a gag about that.
>>
>It's all America's fault
>>
>>74227369
>it just collapsed over night
Not true, we knew it was coming 10 years prior
>>
>>74229237

Well, for instance, he's written that he doesn't rhink that corporations are legitimate entities; he considers them tyrannies. He's also said, correctly, that you could restructure corporate law to eliminate those tyrannical aspects. Of course, that requires someone to enforce those laws, and you'd need the laws to be widespread or people would just move corporations to the place where they were legal. Noam won't talk about all that, though.

For fun, go look up what Noam says about intranets. He doesn't understand them. And for a skilled rhetorical dodge, watch him answer about abortion.
>>
>>74230544

A lot of his work is going into the trash bin. The Language Acquisition Device is unnecessary (though Chomsky doesn't understand modern statistical-learning work). Principles and Parameters was the last iteration of UG that was at all useful and sensible. He's been reduced to mumbling a series of non responsive statements whenever someone brings this stuff up.
>>
>>74222644
this
>>
>>74231471
>Not true, we knew it was coming 10 years prior
Strange, so you are claiming to know more than the top CIA experts on the subject?

Who admit in "Legacy of Ashes" they had no clue it was coming? Feel free to read it, it's a pulitzer prize winning (although that means sht days days), authoritative history of the CIA.

Give it a read, and come back when you get some pubes, umm-K?
>>
>>74222452
>> Understands whats wrong with america.
>> Thinks the solution is communism.

Literally does us no good
>>
He is polarizing because most people lack the reading comprehension to understand what he says.
>>
>>74226108

Except last time I checked a service needs labor.
>>
>>74222452

The thing /pol/ ignores is that the anti-israel lefty jews are the degenerate jews (like soros), the pro-israel jews are the based ones
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.