[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what's the difference between patriotism and nationalism?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: 1463010586205.jpg (265 KB, 1909x1272) Image search: [Google]
1463010586205.jpg
265 KB, 1909x1272
what's the difference between patriotism and nationalism?
>>
5 secs of learning from Google-sensei told me that patriotism is an emotional attachment to the state or homeland, while nationalism is the belief that the best interests of the state are of utmost importance.
>>
>>73831361
There isn't
>>
>>73831361
Patriotism is loving your country. Nationalism is acting like it.
>>
Nationalism has one projected enemy.

Patiotism can have any projected enemy
>>
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 620x320) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 620x320
>>73831361

Edward Snowden is a patriot. Donald Trump is nationalist.

Know the difference.
>>
nationalism puts the state and its interests above everything else, that includes the sovereignty of other nations

patriotism is just loving your nation
>>
>>73831361
i would say the only difference is that nationalism is just incredibly intense patriotism.

a patriot loves his country

a nationalist would give their everything for it, and would love it in the same way they would love a spouse or their parents. they would also put their country and its states interests above all else, including the sovereignty of other nations. its actually kinda like a religion with the country in question being the deity
>>
>>73832966

Edward Snowden is a theiving bitch. If he just took PRISM stuff that'd be fine, you could call him a patriot if you really felt like it and he might have been fine in courts as a whistleblower. Instead he steals TONS of stuff and vamooses to China, then Russia. Not a patriot.
>>
>>73831361
A Patriot is still an individual and acts as such at the end of the day, a Nationalist is just one part of the larger group. I think that's why nationalism tends to go hand in hand with militarism.
>>
>>73832966
This.

What he did, he did for the people of united states and the world, not because of corrupt government. His revelations advanced adaptation and development of Cryptography by years so we can all just give a huge middle finger for government surveillance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9_PjdU3Mpo.
>>
File: smug dog.jpg (17 KB, 260x273) Image search: [Google]
smug dog.jpg
17 KB, 260x273
>>73832966
>>
Nationalism is at the national level, and fits the part of history having nation-states.

Patriotism is more ancient and may be for your city-state, your tribe and/or your Dad.

Spartans and Athenians were patriots in the time of their power but Greeks were nationalists later on.

I understand that language is more of a fluid close to jello but both of these words, used now for beliefs behaviours and attitude, come from etymologies that reference ancestry.

Natio - birth - makes an obsoleted reference to ancestry.
Patrio - father - makes an obsoleted reference to your place by the male lineage, not to say there were no women along with those fathers but that is what the word came from.
>>
>>73834326
>not sticking around to let jews put you in one of their patented kangaroo courts makes you unpatriotic
oy vey
>>
>>73831361
patriotism is having pride in your country
nationalism is having disdain for other countries
>>
>patriotism is a feeling
>nationalism is a knowlage
>>
>>73838215
knowledge*
dagnammit
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.