[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is college mostly just a big scam for anyone who isn't looking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 163
Thread images: 21
Is college mostly just a big scam for anyone who isn't looking to be a doctor or a lawyer?
>>
Not if you have time to waste
>>
File: bowlbugs.jpg (52 KB, 396x478) Image search: [Google]
bowlbugs.jpg
52 KB, 396x478
>college
>high school textbooks
>>
>>73825180
>implying college core classes aren't just abridged versions of high school classes that cost thousands of dollars
>>
>>73825009
>2016
>becoming a lawyer

When a field starts to become saturated with women you should immeadiately jump ship.
>>
No.
The liberal arts educational system is what built western society and is why western countries are superior to the Asians.

The problem with modern colleges is that the classical idea of a liberal arts education has been thrown out the window and shifted into kids getting super specific degrees like "Fifteenth Century French Feminist Literature" that are so niche that they are useless.
>>
File: bugs.png (47 KB, 212x219) Image search: [Google]
bugs.png
47 KB, 212x219
>>73825180
>>
>>73825009
engineering
>>
File: skingame.jpg (98 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
skingame.jpg
98 KB, 540x720
>>
>>73825455
you can get a job with any fucking degree. getting a job is 90% networking and whether or not you're autistic or not. 10% is the degree.
>>
File: image.jpg (341 KB, 637x849) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
341 KB, 637x849
>>73825455

This x100...

60s students graduated their fields and were into psychedelics and Fraudulent Poo in Loo counter culture... They were infiltrated by degenerate commie ideas and now they control our institutions of higher learning... Pic related.
>>
>>73825180
high school education is so bad that many kids have to take tons of remedial courses in college
>>
You're forgetting engineer
>>
File: 1453163465095.jpg (103 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
1453163465095.jpg
103 KB, 640x427
>>73825009
>Algebra 1 in college

OH I'M LAFFIN
>>
It's a bigger scam yet for suckers who want to go to law school. You're a literal fool if you even think about going to a third-year toilet.
>>
>>73825891
no shit. that's why when all these liberal kids scream for free college they should really be screaming for better high school.
>>
>>73825809
I never said anything about getting a job, anon.
When done correctly, yes, a liberal arts education will benefit you in any field. The classical idea of a lib arts education is the ability to think critically.

Like I said, the problem is that these lib arts courses are being replaced with major-specific courses and it's an issue with stupid majors.
>>
>>73825009
>lawyer

Law is the biggest degree scam.
- Needing a degree to know what's illegal.
- Needing a degree to prove you've read some books.
>>
>>73825009
Yes.
Thanks to the Internet people has access to thousands of GB of content.
And the bigger it gets the Internet the less are worth the degrees
There is people who literally has 0 education but is working next to CS graduates because they did some good open source project.
Same goes for garage genius.
But if you can go there without taking loans I can tell you that is a good investment.
>>
>Medicine

Lol enjoy your $500,000 loans.
>>
>>73826541
Doctors in America make fucking bank.
>>
Going. To law school next year
>>
>>73826346
The real problem with law is that it is fucking hard as shit to get a job after you graduate unless you went to a top tier school.
>>
File: stately buck mulligan.png (70 KB, 228x228) Image search: [Google]
stately buck mulligan.png
70 KB, 228x228
>>73825180

>high school textbooks

what the fuck

I did Algebra I when I was in 7th grade

how the fuck is Algebra I a high school class
>>
>>73825809
Yes you numbskull engineers, doctors, pilots, nurses, lawyers ect. just show up to a job like "Hey you guys know my dad right?" and know the intricacies of their profession
>>
>>73826091
But then we'd have to accept the fact that some people will fail to pass high school. There would be outrage.
>>
>>73826613
Not anymore. Many are leaving medicine after Obamacare fucked up their salary
>>
>>73825455
>Some people unironically believe this
>>
>>73825009
I work in a supermarket and my store manager has a Masters Degree in Business and Economics and makes $96,000 AUD a year. I work 4 days a week 32 hours and make $52,000
>>
File: 1462742782848.png (568 KB, 652x795) Image search: [Google]
1462742782848.png
568 KB, 652x795
>>73827129
>I don't know what Obamacare actually does
>>
>>73825009
what's the alternative? It's probably not a good idea to spend a ton of money and indeb yourself if you're low on money. It's still a good idea to learn the ins and outs of a certain subject if you plan on working there, so cheaper college would be a good option.
>>
>>73825009
don't forget engineer m80
>>
>>73826541
>move to small part of the country with no niggers
>start at 200k because doctors are so in need in that low pop area
>debt forgiven after 10 years
ftfy
>>
>Studied my ass off for GCSE's
>Studied my ass off for A-levels
>Studied my ass off for Law degree
>Joined the army as a regular

Not sure what happened but I don't regret a thing.
>>
>>73826045
Law student grads have (literally) been suing colleges for fraud since there a no jobs.

Lawyers have some of highest rates of depression, substance abuse and job disfaction of ANY profession. Yes, odds are your plumber is happier than your lawyer. No, that's not a joke.

Almost all jobs that pays enough to quickly pay off a 100K in law school debt go to tier 1 law school graduates.

It would be funny if it wasn't so depressing
>>
>>73825009

Econ master race here.

Pretty much guaranteed a job at Goldman Sachs or Salomon Brothers when I graduate.

Going to be rolling in cash, feels good.

Staymad poorfags
>>
>>73827083
Kek, this.
>>
>>73827664

Why the fuck would you join as a regular?
>>
>>73826884
Because learning the law is literally all they do.
No skills, just reading law texts.

Nobody should feel entitled to a job after 4 years of that.
>>
>>73827881
Sorry I should've been more clear. I meant that I didn't join the reserve. I joined the RMP. I did it because I never wanted to see myself sitting in an office for years of my life.
>>
>>73826935

Niggers, spics, and dumb white trash
>>
>>73827959
Not even as a lawyer?
>>
>>73825009
Clep is your friend
CLEP
L
E
P
>>
>>73826935
education system is an incompatible mess so every grade will reteach everything before it
>>
>>73827668
My great uncle was one of the best lawyers in OK. I always wanted to be like him and it's depressing that I never will be. I know I could be excellent at the job but it's not worth the risk to try.
>>
>>73825581
>>
>>73828431
Studying law is just one requirement to become a lawyer.

It's like someone learning Latin and expecting to instantly get hired as doctor.
>>
>thinking that you go to college for the education, not the connections and the prestige that comes with attending a top tier university.
Other than this, there's no reason to go.. you'll be putting yourself in debt for no real reason.

Also, those complaining that they're unable to find work in x field, that's probably because you're on the wrong side of the bell curve. There's only a surplus of bad lawyers, the good ones are still very much in demand.
>>
>>73825009
>Is college mostly just a big scam for anyone who isn't looking to be a doctor or a lawyer?

College costs are skyrocketing.
This must mean wages are skyrocketing also, since it's so valuable to have a degree? No. Wages are stagnant, adjusted for inflation, since the 1970s for all but the most rich.

What does this mean?

You're being jewed by a bubble economy. Media and kike enablers tell you "people with degrees do better over a lifetime" using data from people who are so old, they predate this incredible rise in tuition cost.

Thus, the people currently in the system will get fucked over, while everyone's telling them it's okay.
>>
University is a good way to spend several years playing video games in a dorm room and living alone for cheap.
>>
>>73826935
What another anon said, incompatible teaching methods create a huge fuckup of a simple class. Remedial math and English is thus commonplace in US schools. Compare them to Britain who graduate earlier than US students, those in US remedial courses are four years behind by the time they go to school. The whole system is fucked, not even Trump can fix it. Idiocracy was prophetic.
>>
>>73829002
Isn't college free in Sweden?

Here they've only introduced massive student debts a couple of years ago.
Effects are still to be discovered, as nobody has graduated under the new debt yet.
>>
>>73828655
>Atticus Finch

Very poorly meaned, old bean
>>
>>73829385

t. /r9k/
>>
The only thing that should require college degree is if you want to become a doctor or if you're some math genius and you're really good at theory.

The rest is literally a meme and a money sucking tool. You can learn nearly whatever you want now thanks to the internet, people do it for the fucking paper now only.
What you need is experience, experience and then more experience. Reading textbooks all day is numbing, boring and a fucking joke. You have to apply whatever you're studying or else you'll forget it.

What pisses me off even more is that they are still teaching in the hybrid way, as if people still don't know what will they do once they finish. Why the fuck should i care about chemistry if I'm planning to be a programmer? Fucking kikes.
>>
File: 1462274723352.jpg (83 KB, 504x566) Image search: [Google]
1462274723352.jpg
83 KB, 504x566
>>73825009
>Is college mostly just a big scam for anyone who isn't looking to be a doctor or a lawyer?

The sum total of human knowledge is accessible from a smart phone nearly anywhere on the planet. There is no longer a need for these large, antiquated, and lumbering institutions to exist at all.

Sure, these schools served a purpose in a time when information could only be transmitted via pen and paper, but times have changed. We no longer have a need for central information hubs that store knowledge in the form of dead trees. Further, professors are no longer needed either. This is because the purpose they once served, being able to disseminate the information contained in dead trees and to help people understand it, has been replaced by online video and search engines.

We have no need for colleges any more. There is absolutely no reason to continue throwing taxpayer dollars into that are essentially nothing more than indoctrination stations for the cult of social justice. These schools are now theological seminaries propounding unreason and doctrine into the head of the young with the purpose of evangelizing others.
>>
>>73826884
Networking you mouth breather. Just grad and already have 3 offers.
>>
>>73829847
Where did you graduate from? What tier?
>>
File: 1457466905883.png (168 KB, 395x424) Image search: [Google]
1457466905883.png
168 KB, 395x424
>>73825009

College professor here.

College is worthwhile for some other fields as well, such as Computer Science, basically any "classical" Engineering... in these fields you need a degree, it's a barrier of entry. Otherwise your resume will just be thrown in the trash. Think of the degree as an investment in yourself.

One of the things you have to realize is that a lot of what you learn will not be relevant in the field but learning it is a rite of passage. I see this complained about all the time, but this is reality, and arguing about it will do no good. Academic changes may come in time, but you can't afford to wait.
>>
>>73830109

>College professor
>On /pol/

kek, fuck off
>>
>>73829503
massive student debts?
what does a semester cost now in the netherlands?
>>
I'm graduating next weekend and I can confirm college is 100% a meme
>>
>>73825009
>Did moderately well in high school
>Got lucky enough to get full tuition scholarship to school
>Gonna graduate in 3 years with Electrical Engineering degree and no debt because I worked in high school and can afford housing
>Expected starting salary is 65k

It's a scam for people who didn't get in through merit and have to pay full cost
>>
>>73830109
>you need the paper otherwise your resume will just be thrown in the trash
>still can't see the flaw

can't blame you, it's your job on the line
>>
>>73829942
So Cal, comp sci undergrad. The only jobs that are hard to get are district attorney positions because all the type A try hards want to "put the bad guys away"

Network and have half a fucking brain in another industry and some business etiquette and it's not a nightmare at all.
>>
>>73830441

liberal arts or gender studies graduate?
>>
>>73829687

college was never a library though. libraries were always cheaper than college, the expensive part is the teaching.
>>
>>73830578

how many amps in a volt you cunt?
>>
File: we_forgot_the_ballon.jpg (75 KB, 960x339) Image search: [Google]
we_forgot_the_ballon.jpg
75 KB, 960x339
>>73825009
Its a pyramid scheme everyone has to pay into. Most jobs require a 4 year college degree to do even the most simple of tasks. But if you don't want to be doing a shit teenager job for the rest of your life you have to do it
>inb4 people who got lucky w/o a college degree or went into trades(Not knocking trades but it does have a ceiling)
---------------------My story from another thread-----------

>2.5 years into my EE degree
>Get meh grades on gen ed classes
>Doing great in all engineering classes
>Until they hit me with an administration fuck up where they said I owed the school 4000$ (Then later on 2000$ more)
>Had to keep going from one office to another every week just to even start figuring out the problem or where they came up with such a large number
>Sent one whole semester into a tailspin with straight D's across the board

>Academic probation
>Told that I won't get any financial aid and would have to pay completely out of pocket, but all I have to do is get a 2.25 gpa semester grade(One class, get higher than a C)
>Passed it
>Took an entire semester off to pay them

>Paid them off in full last week
>Find out I have to re-enroll after just one semester off
>Then find out because I took the semester off put back on probation again although I took no classes
>And now I was considered continued probation which meant if anything happens next semester I would be academically dismissed(aka permanent record mark)

I asked the administrator how I was suppose to not take a semester off if I owed them money and couldn't register for classes at the time
>"You could have taken out a loan"

54 Credits
Have to transfer to another school
Most schools may only take 30 of my credits

Good game college bureaucrats good game

>Pic related when I realized I wasn't even fine wined and dined yet
>Didn't even take me to Olive Garden first
>>
>>73826091
Why is it liberal to want free college

If you had to choose between the two would you really choose to pay when you don't have to?
>>
>>73825359
>calculus, numerical analysis and differential equations are an abridged version of high school classes
>>
>>73830109
What is your field?

Were you always stand out talented?

Do you have tenure, or are you on track for it?

Are you happy with your work so far?
>>
>>73826935
It depends on what state you're in. I grew up in Illinois with its infamous education system. I think the only worse state is Florida. You probably grew up in a state with better education.
>>
I don't think it is. Sometimes I do, but a lot of the classes I'm taking are necessary if I want to be successful in what I'm majoring in. I mean, who's going to teach me the material? I'm paying someone to help me.
Actually, I'm not even paying them. My classes are currently being paid for by the government lol.
>>
>>73830798
Depends on the resistance of the cunt.
>>
>>73830683
Be more explicit, I don't really know which problem you're referring to. But in any event, I don't really agree that there is a problem with jobs requiring degrees.

A degree is proof of a certain base of knowledge at minimum, not all of which is otherwise provable in a job interview.
>>
>>73830852

No, leftism is about getting other people to pay for your shit
>>
>>73825009
YES
>>
>>73830269
Why is that so unbelievable? A lot of people on /pol/ are from academia.
>>
>>73830683
It's not a flaw you fucking moron.
You can't drive a car without passing a test.
You can't build steel structures without an engineering degree.
>>
>>73825009
>lawyer
>not a scam

KEK. JD is the english major of grad school programs.
The market is incredibly oversaturated and you'll be lucky to get a job as a coffee-serving intern at a firm.

You should only go into law if your father or someone in your family owns a firm and can get you in.
>>
Colleges were important before the Internet. Nowadays it's so easy to access information, most degrees aren't worth pursuing unless specialized instruction/equipment is needed.

But even as tuition/textbook prices are rising, kids are willing to go into debt for their "college experience".
>>
File: Delphine Wespiser.jpg (478 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Delphine Wespiser.jpg
478 KB, 800x800
>>73829687

>We have no need for colleges any more

I once read the biography of a famous Singaporean lawyer educated in Britain and after he graduated with honors and passed the bar finals, he was forced to commence a course of "dinners" for the next 18 months, basically meeting and eating with other students. Being in the late 30s, he was desperate to skip this bullshit and go straight back to Singapore to start working and earning money, but when he spoke with the dean, he told him "We teach the law. We do not PRETEND to teach the law. The purpose of the dinners is to make sure you meet and learn not only from fellow students, but from members of the Bar, to keep you in proximity of our courts, to keep you in the front row seat of our law being administered, through these dinners, you absorb the wisdom of our profession which no books can teach."

That book and that quote in particular stuck with me even after all these years. They teach you, they do not pretend to teach you, and everything they do is for a reason, even if it's something which could seem very banal, like eating dinner with other students and people currently employed in the profession for over a year.

Yes, I agree, attending college for anything other than something that will guarantee you access to a profession (doctors, lawyers, engineers, ect) is complete horseshit, but they do know what they're doing when they're educating you to obtain these degrees that will give you a profession.
>>
>>73825009
of course!

I can just learn everything I know from sourceless infographs I see on /pol/ like everyone else on this board.
more money for my anime figures.
>>
>>73827668
Plumbers make pretty sweet money and besides the shit water, the work is not that bad.
>>
>>73830915
>What is your field?
Comp Sci

>Were you always stand out talented?
Yes. The metric I use for that from a teaching perspective are surveys from my students. I'm well above my departmental and institutional average in all measures.

>Do you have tenure, or are you on track for it?
No, I'm just starting out and came from industry. I've been doing this for about 2 years. I would need to finish my PhD before that's on the table, which is the plan.

>Are you happy with your work so far?
Very happy, as I mentioned I came from the industry and I have to say that I enjoy teaching much more. Especially the lifestyle, it doesn't feel at all like I'm working a full-time job (I guess because I'm not).
>>
>>73826935
Literally because niggers.

You have to understand. When I was in middle school (around 12-14 years old), the blacks in my classes literally could not read properly. They still did the whole "stutter and slowly/awkwardly sound out each syllable" thing that I hadn't done since I was like 6 or 7 years old. The niggers in lower grades like 4th grade that I encountered as part of student partnership programs couldn't even do that.
>>
>>73825009
Things are better learnt when explained by a teacher, the better the teacher the better the learning.
The fact that you have to pay for it, and that there are SJW courses are other matters entirely to the fundamental need for universities...
>>
ITT: cucks mad about their 150 lsat scores
>>
>>73826935
lol you would believe the white trash found in those types of classes
>>
>>73831353
Wisdom that he could understand mostly because he had previously absorbed knowledge.
>>
modern college, yes. The only reason anyone still goes to college is because employers look for a degree. Training for most companies can be done entirely online, and you can learn everything you'd ever really need for almost any given job by just spending a few nights studying it online. But you still need the degree because it shows you can show up to classes on time, can listen at least enough to regurgitate what you're taught on a test, and aren't autistic enough to get kicked out of college.

That said, experience is quickly becoming more valued than a degree. Local IT jobs recently switched minreq from a bachelors in IT or computer science to a year's experience (with proof) hosting a website, or a portfolio with 8 functional programs with an actual application. Both of which you can do easily. Hell I could write up 4 programs in a night that did simple shit like respond to hotkey commands. just rip some code from AHK and most people looking over applicants can't even notice that shit.
>>
>>73831243
>You can't drive a car without passing a test.
Oh really?
>You can't build steel structures without an engineering degree.
Because a general task requires 4 years of study.
They teach you many things at engineering but you'll work in one field only. You won't fucking build structures on day 1 then design fighter jets on day 2. The flaw is, you dipshit, is you're wasting your time on things you don't need. And the same thing goes if you want to become a dentist, 6 years, of which you need only 1.
>>
>>73831772
>said the increasingly nervous pre-law student for the 300th time this year

Yeah I'm sure you will defy the very ling odds and become an employed lawyer.
>>
>>73832068
Your argument is valid, but as far as specialization you are putting the cart before the horse. We teach students a vast lake of knowledge, but the lake is only a few inches deep. After exiting with a degree, you should be a generalist, not a specialist. Because specialization is not usually something you decide on prior to education - it's something that just happens depending on what kind of a job you end up getting. Certain parts of the lake (i.e. your knowledge) will get deeper on the job.
>>
>>73830852
Free college not based on merit is a waste of taxpayer money
>>
>>73832068
>Welcome to /pol/ where prerequisites and gen ed classes are bullshit so be like me and drop out of school all together
It's a waste of time and manpower to try to teach classes that cater to your future profession. Most people take their degrees and do nothing they actually got their degrees in but something they found interest in a prereq class.
>>
>>73831995
Seems like IT is becoming more and more like a trade honestly. The only jobs that absolutely require a STEM degree are those involved in 3d modelling and other math heavy areas.
>>
>>73831922

I know, that's the entire point. The classes and tests are there for knowledge, the dinners are there for wisdom, something very different.
>>
>>73829687
Nigger you realize professors primary job is to do research, right?
>>
If you aren't doing a STEM degree.. Congrats you will end up as a failure because the economy is run on STEM.

t. Civil Engineerig student
>>
>>73832589
>Seems like IT is becoming more and more like a trade honestly.
IT has always been trade-like, yes. But not computer science in general - not even programming. But yes, configuration and deployment of corporate IT solutions is a very trade-like industry.
>>
>>73832589
Definitely. It's like that for a variety of jobs though, the exceptions being like you said, heavy math, law, medicine, the "higher echelon" of jobs I guess, chemical engineering.

But IT is definitely going to be a trade job in the next 5 years. Most colleges are just now getting on track with compsci and other shit, and we're already moving on as a society to tablets and phones. EVERYTHING kids are learning in compsci classes right now, is already obsolete and absolutely worthless, and will have no value when they're done.
>>
>>73832802
here around 50% of IT are actually trades. if you get certificates and do some internships it's pretty much the same thing
>>
>>73825009
If you go into college it needs to be because you have a specific career in mind. If you're going for fun or because you want to learn (generally speaking) you're doing it wrong and you're better off just not going to college.
>>
>>73829687
>brb lemme google how to synthesize this drug real quick
I'm 99% sure this is detailed bait and you aren't actually this retarded anon
>>
>>73825009
In short: Yes.

If you're not becoming a professional then you're most likely going to be paying your student loans by working retail or food service. Enjoy.
>>
>>73832539
I believe when obama proposed a free community college plan his criteria was like a 2.0 High School GPA. The reason I don't trust politicians to implement a fair free university system is because I don't trust them to have the rigorous standards required to really make that an investment.

A 2.0 in high school requires you to do shit all compared to any university degree and represents nothing other than the fact that you "at least didn't just not turn anything in"

If free pubic university was reserved only for those with specific test scores (SAT 2200+) maybe I'd consider supporting it, however those are the students that typically receive scholarships to more prestigious schools anyways
>>
>>73832313
See above. Already jobbed.
>>
>>73832921
Unless you know you're just doing it for fun and have a shitload of your own money to waste on it.

I'm actually considering taking some college courses for fun just so I have an excuse to trigger SJWs.
>>
>>73832779
Not even close.
t. Comp. Eng. Graduate
>>
>>73832917
I think there is some confusion about the definition of IT - Information Technology. Installation, configuration, and maintenance of business applications. It really has little to do at all with computer science, math, software design/implementation, etc...

IT is sometimes mistakenly used as an umbrella term for technicians, programmers, anyone working with computers - the umbrella term is "Computing" under which there is IT, Computer Science, etc.
>>
>>73833233
>t. Comp. Eng. Graduate
You know your count as STEM, right?
>>
>>73833200
From my experience, psychology professors are pretty based, and typically say things intentionally to rile people up. You've just got to find those professors and vocally agree with them during lectures.
>>
>>73832467
>Because specialization is not usually something you decide on prior to education - it's something that just happens depending on what kind of a job you end up getting.
I can only imagine this happening if there are lack of jobs in STEM and people desperately apply everywhere which barely resembles whatever they studied, which is certainly not the case here.

>>73832561
>Most people take their degrees and do nothing they actually got their degrees in but something they found interest in a prereq class.
I've heard that one before many times and I don't understand why do they support people who can't make a plan 4-5 years ahead and take a big brown shit on those who can by accommodating the 1st category instead.
How the fuck can someone join a college thinking "meh, maybe I'll find something I like there"?
I despise hybrid faculties.
>>
>>73831339
Lol? Good luck verifying to your employer that you looked all this up online.
>Nah dude I looked up trigonometry on youtube its all good.

What you learn in a structured university with labs and projects and internships does not compare to googling things. The yield strength of 304 stainless is just a random googled fact. How to apply it, accurately, over and over, is what you learn in school.
>>
>>73829002
true about those stats being for older people, good point sweden
>>
>>73825009
college is absolutely a scame. They want you in debt.
>>
>>73833633
>I can only imagine this happening if there are lack of jobs in STEM and people desperately apply everywhere which barely resembles whatever they studied, which is certainly not the case here.

You don't need to imagine - I have the reality right here. Let me give you an example: say you study to become an IT professional - you exit college and apply for 20 jobs. Each company will use different software applications and business solutions with some overlap (luckily at school you've learned about the majority at an introductory level at least).

Your role in the business (Database Admin., Email Server Admin, IT Manager with a focus on the business side, etc, etc.) is different for each job, and is subject to change over time. After a couple years at the job... suddenly you're a specialist at databases, or email servers, or web servers, or whatever.

It's really the same in all fields. If you exit with an Engineering degree, you can apply to many different jobs - why limit yourself by trying to become a specialist beforehand?
>>
>>73832779
You're probably just a douchebag. I've learned to ignore your fag spouts of autism
>>
>>73832561
>>73833633
tf? You're around 18 when you come to college. Who the fuck knows what they want to do for the rest of their life at that point? I mean a small minority of kids are really determined and know but you're portraying it as them being lazy. It's a genuine difficult decision.
>>
>>73826935
niggers desu senpai

also lots of community colleges have people who have been working at a gas station for a decade and have forgotten all dat fancy shit about finding X
>>
>>73833633
>I despise hybrid faculties.
Because you don't understand the point. As study after study has shown in behavioral psychology, the main predictor of creativity is more so than anything else is having a wide variety of skill sets to begin with. The purpose of core classes is to give you a wide variety of different ways to look at the world to assist you in solving creative and new problems in whatever field you use. You may never use chemistry per say but looking at a problem like an ICE chart problem may still help you one day.

In other words, undergrad was never meant for specialization it was and still is made for expanding your horizons. This is why med schools are fine with art majors just as much as science majors. Hell some prefer them.
>>
is a law degree really that fucking bad in america?

Will I be alright?

t. law student
>>
>>73829002
>massive student debts
Yeah, I'm really dying over here with my $45k debt.
Barely over the median per capita income.
A manager at walmart can pay a 45k debt in a few years.
>>
File: think of the children.png (663 KB, 1131x828) Image search: [Google]
think of the children.png
663 KB, 1131x828
i had to buy and read this shit for english comp 2
>>
File: 1447952076297.jpg (46 KB, 480x787) Image search: [Google]
1447952076297.jpg
46 KB, 480x787
>>73826952
>Yes you numbskull engineers, doctors, pilots, nurses, lawyers ect. just show up to a job like "Hey you guys know my dad right?"
Worked for me.
>>
>>73830269
Hey, many professors are the same fuck ups that got a worthless degree,
realized there's no work, got another worthless degree, no work,
then topped it off with a PHD to teach ENG 101, just to get a paycheck.

Now he lurks /pol/
>>
>>73834842
I've heard that the job market for law is heavily saturated and highly competitive, and that's the meme the rest of /pol/ will tell you, but what do we know?
>>
>>73834850
>spending years after graduation working my way up to Walmart manager to pay off student debts
do you read what you type before you post anon?
>>
>>73832467
His argument isn't valid at all..

You can't get a job by just having them trust your word. You need accreditation.

His argument is the same as every know it all NEET. That thinks they are an engineer because they can learn trig on kahn, but don't have the drive or ambition to actually get accredited.
>>
>>73835072
Well yeah I'm googling and all I see is it being a problem in America but there's nothing on the UK law job market.
>>
>>73825009
I want to get into politics, what do I need?
>>
>>73835109
Why would I be a manager at wal-mart with a structural engineering degree..
I'm using the manager at wal-mart as a metric for how little amount of money a 45k debt is compared to what you can make with an actual degree.

protip: people (smart people) work while they are in school. by the time you are out of school, a chunk of your debt should be paid off already. and if it isn't, or you're unlucky and unmotivated and stupid and your degree goes to waste, it still won't ruin your life.
>>
>>73835372

Pedigree & wealth

otherwise

law philosophy psychology sociology communications
>>
>>73835372
A Jew and a willingness to be corrupt
>>
>>73835233
Because I wasn't implying that you have to take my word for it, testing is a no-brainer, I was implying that you need that one specific paper which tests you in everything, and not in your specialization. See the rest of the replies.

I partly agree with them, however I still don't like the indecision which is causing it.
>>
File: 1462835063762.jpg (53 KB, 638x475) Image search: [Google]
1462835063762.jpg
53 KB, 638x475
>>73825009
>High school books
>>
HR bot throw out every resume that doesn't have a degree. How else would they justify their massive debt?
>>
>>73825009
yes, yes it is a scam for most.
>>
File: retardbookpile.jpg (100 KB, 958x539) Image search: [Google]
retardbookpile.jpg
100 KB, 958x539
>>73825009
>college
>>
$300 for a book in biochem. Fuck that.

I hope the entire book industry collapses and all their books get released in the public domain. Textbook copyrights is worse than terrorism.
>>
>>73830109
>in these fields you need a degree, it's a barrier of entry
You don't really need a CS degree to be a great software developer.

It helps you get your foot in the door though.
>>
Most companies require a degree
>>
>>73826935
>Thinking school algebra is university algebra

The university algebra is as different as C# and C++
>>
I stopped buying books when my fucking professor was giving "free" summarized print-outs from the same book.

Thank goodness you can rent a used book for like 1/4th of the price
>>
>>73825009
you go to college for networking and research positions. You don't go to college to learn anything.
>>
File: 1461547633100.jpg (69 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1461547633100.jpg
69 KB, 600x600
>>73825009

Yes, it is. They bank on the lust and lack of responsibility of teenagers hoping to have four years of binge substance abuse and NSA sex, and on either a crooked banking system that gives loans for it or stupid parents who still think an undergrad degree will get their kids a job.

This is what I always tell people: STEM or don't go, and if you're already in, drop out, don't waste more fucking money so you can be lectured about white guilt.
>>
>>73831339
You go to college to be certified, dumbfuck.
>>
>>73825009
Yea it is. I got a polisci degree and i work overnight stock at target.

Looking back on my education, all I did was read and write papers about dead guys. I got completely fleeced.

I partially blame my clueless faggot ass boomer dad, though. He skipped his way through a LAd degree and mediocre law school when only white men were still the majority of the labor force.

Gotta join the military or be poor forever.
>>
>>73835256
Law undergrad here, as far as I'm aware of you're going to a top tenish University for Law you should be able to hook yourself up with either a regional or City job.
>>
>>73837923
Yea I got a useless degree and my life is gonna be difficult for a decade or so because of it. I basically spent 40k to live in an artificial environment for 4 years and I am no better off than i was before
>>
>>73838458
>I am no better off than i was before
That's the debt talking anon, unless your degree was women studies or one of the uglier liberal arts
>>
File: 15-3.png (385 KB, 330x507) Image search: [Google]
15-3.png
385 KB, 330x507
>>73825009
>Texas Science
>>
>>73838852
PoliSci
>>
>>73838852
>>73838962

I don't know who I feel worse for, the guy who got an undergrad PoliSci degree or the guy who thinks it can actually get you a job in 2016

I'm opting for the latter
>>
>>73838425
Uh, uni of Leeds.

It's a Russell group, is that ok?
>>
>>73838962
lmao oh fuck, you goofed. I mean it could be worse but you should try to get jobs outside that field that can still kind of use your skill set.
>>73839387
If you're not an actual canadabro and you're american,
I'm willing to bet you're a NEET still using the Obama is the reason I'm unemployed meme.
I don't know what the job market is like in Canada but Justin seems pretty based at times
>>
>>73830852
Because it's retarded, solipsistic, and narcissistic to expect other people to pay for something you use.
>>
>>73839781
>If you're not an actual canadabro and you're american

Well, if you say something like this, then I have no doubt that I can't accuse you of the same thing. That is a response from a product of the American public education system if I've ever heard one.
>>
>>73840127
I've always wanted to talk to someone like you.
How do you feel about K-12 then? What about other public services? Should everything be delegated to the private sector and taxes done away with?
>inb4 trolling
I'm surrounded by libs and the left for the most part so I'm genuinely curious
>>
>>73840660
>That is a response from a product of the American public education system if I've ever heard one.
yikes dude. How you came to that conclusion is anyones guess but I can smell your katana collection from a mile away.
>>
>>73841053

If you _aren't_ a product of an American public school, then you should feel even worse.

This standard 'I can smell your fedora, autist' argument comes up all the time. I'm not a 6'4 chef from Wendy's with a big cock, but man...
Thread replies: 163
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.