[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shitting on STEM jobs thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47
File: dam.jpg (126 KB, 1300x866) Image search: [Google]
dam.jpg
126 KB, 1300x866
>Family and friends kept telling me to do STEM in college
>Finally caved and believed them
>EE 3.4 GPA @ Berkeley
>No jobs to be found after grad and openly ridiculed by my employed friends in the humanities
tfw fell for the STEM meme
>>
>>73414650
well good luck on the job hunt let me know how that goes
>>
>>73414650
Itt:
Things that didnt happen.
>>
File: 1455785608250.gif (263 KB, 600x304) Image search: [Google]
1455785608250.gif
263 KB, 600x304
> 3.4 GPA
I felt so sorry Anon
>>
>>73414650
Well what fucking degree did you get?
>>
File: 24.jpg (31 KB, 443x473) Image search: [Google]
24.jpg
31 KB, 443x473
>get a master's in CS
>work a couple of years here then move to US SF for dat six-fig job
>bust my ass off for a few years, come back after getting GC
>live off dividends in the early 30s while creating mobile apps to increase passive income on my own time, work one or two days a week

Then again maybe it's different if you're just looking for work within your city or state. Didn't really care where I landed as long as the pay was good.
>>
>>73414650
this didn't happen. And if it did, you are probably leaving out large pieces of the story.
>>
>>73414650
its this thread again...
>>
>>73414947
EE retard
>>
>>73414650
learn a trade faggot
>>
>>73414650

Jobs aren't guaranteed, buddy, and you have a much easier time now than I had several years ago. Lots of competition right now, so you either have to be the lowest bidder or give the best pitch to win the job. Whatever you do, though, don't fall for any of the unpaid internship crap. Your labor is valuable.
>>
>electrical engineering

Who the fuck recommended that? Just get a CS degree with Cisco certifications, do nothing most days, and collect your 120k a year until you decide to move up to management where you collect your 250k a year and do absolutely nothing of value.

Then retire at 60, a fucking millionaire, and laugh at your friend in humanities who got stabbed by a mentally unstable Somalian when he was 34.
>>
File: MkpFkA3.png (266 KB, 981x969) Image search: [Google]
MkpFkA3.png
266 KB, 981x969
>JUST
>>
>>73414650
>>No jobs to be found after grad and openly ridiculed by my employed friends in the humanities
No fucking way is this true
>>
File: 1462206623306.png (455 KB, 656x952) Image search: [Google]
1462206623306.png
455 KB, 656x952
>>
>fell for the STEM meme
>went to college because I didn't know what else to do
>got full time salary position with full benefits two weeks before graduating
>go to comfy office every day
>miserable
DON'T FALL FOR IT GUYS, ESPECIALLY ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING. IT'S TERRIBLE, I PROMISE :^)
>>
>>73416003
This.
> do EE for bachelor
> switch to CE
> get job 2 weeks after graduating masters degree
Life sure sucks for us STEM majors.
>>
>>73414650
You must be beyond autistic. Employers would be tripping over themselves to hire a Berkeley EE grad
>>
>>73415704
>EE retard
here's your answer
>>
>>73414650
>3.4 GPA
well there's the problem
>>
>>73414650
Yeah, I just flat out don't believe you.

Literally the only way I can believe this is true is if you happen to live in a rural area where there are few companies that need an EE and you are unwilling to move to get a job anywhere else in the country.
>>
>>73416215
Aw man, did you fall for the SCADA development meme? My buddy did and he's making bank. But he's miserable, don't you worry /pol/ ;)
>>
CALS reporting in. Someone has to supply the corn cucks.
>>
>majored in STEM (EE)
>mediocre GPA (3.1)
>gainfully employed

everythingwentbetterthanexpected.jpg

Main thing is to not limit yourself strictly to jobs directly related to your major. I ended up getting a job as a technician, maybe technically "underemployed" but enjoy the work and pay is plenty good for a low cost of living state.

Also stick with the job hunt it can be shit but there are people out there looking for your experience and qualifications, hard part is just finding them. Don't get discouraged.
>>
ME here and OP is right

>be me GATech Grad 3.8 GPA
>have a younger sister, also a Tech grad that Partied the whole time and barely passes with a 2.7 GPA in Industrial Engineering, (ME's retarded son)
>I pass EIT exam no problem, sister fails it twice and doesn't retake again
>4 years later I'm working at a small mom and pop doing CAD/CAM work for minimum wage because that's all I can get, sent out hundred of applications
>Sister "works" at rubbermaid, cause WOMAN, making over 100k a year and regularly calls me for technical advice

just fuck this country
>>
>>73416003
>>miserable
>DON'T FALL FOR IT GUYS, ESPECIALLY ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING. IT'S TERRIBLE, I PROMISE :^)
Od you know what's miserable

Working outside in very hot humid weather. Or working outside in blizzard like conditions in winter time. because I've done both for years. Now I'm working in an dingy office with no view outside and guess what? I haven't been better.

>>73416290
India bringing it on
>>
>>73417047
>>Sister "works" at rubbermaid, cause WOMAN, making over 100k a year and regularly calls me for technical advice
Do you at least charge her a consultancy fee?
Otherwise you are just enabling her and causing your own lack of money.
>>
File: 1441222148771.jpg (72 KB, 500x461) Image search: [Google]
1441222148771.jpg
72 KB, 500x461
>first year of college, CS major
>making 15k over the summer programming
>friends in high school still working minWage job at Wal-Mart
>tfw fell for the STEM meme
>>
Even if stem is overrated how is getting a degree in the liberal arts, soft sciences, or social sciences any better?
>>
>>73414650

>be me
>major in English lol
>3.5 GPA
>fuck like Caligula while in college, don't study much
>take two years off after graduation
>live the NEET dream
>study for LSAT, get 176
>applied to law school, get into two top 10
>even got some scholarship money

U mad STEM cucks? Enjoy never earning more than a middle class salary :^)
>>
>>73414650

Yeah, I've seen the numbers for the US market and EE is expected to have a 0% growth rate, if not even a shrinkage. This combined with my intuiton has also made me switch from pure EE to engineering management/EE. If nothing changes radically, the trend of outsourcing most jobs will only grow. My faculty is filled to the brim with indians, pakis, chinese, flips etc. and they all become EE. Understandably, with things like CAD becoming more important, the real part of engineering - manufacturing, designing etc. - become grunt work. Intelligent whites can only excell through higher business I think. If we are to become great, we must turn into burgeoise aristocrats.
>>
>>73417537
where? i'm in Louisiana and desperate for a summer job in anything programming related (willing even to do web stuff) but in a terrible area for it
>>
>>73417739
law is an oversaturated field. have fun earning 30K per year as a assistant paralegal
>>
>>73417885

That's why you go to a good law school, m8. There's always room at the top.
>>
Why do you guys do this?

What are we suppose to study if not stem?

Are these threads created by a lower gender studies major?
>>
>>73418125
Get into a trade

>actually produce something of value
>manly as fuck
>good salary
>more impressive than being a generic skinnyfat guy who sits his ass fat in front of a computer
>manly as fuck
>>
>>73417739
You're gonna be mad when AI replaces you sonny boy.
>>
>>73418268

I always wanted to become a gunsmith but not much work to be had here with anti-gun nuts nibbling away what little remains of the gun "rights".
>>
>>73418268

seriously faggot?

maybe you haven't heard but wetbacks take those jobs!
>>
>>73418453

Jews want to ensure their dominion.

You euros are cucked.
>>
>>73418268

>germans shilling for trades
>t. Das Handwerk.
>Eine Initiative der Bundesagentur für Arbeit.
>>
>>73417047
Get your PE and go into consulting
>>
>>73417807
It's a local tech business in VA, I met them through attending one of those job fair events on campus, and happened to be one of the few people who wasn't a complete autismo when talking to the guy. Also helped I have experience developing for mobile, so if you can't get a job this summer, learn how to make shit for Android and IPhones. Good luck Georgia bro
>>
Your moronic friends don't know anyone or their boss' need employees? Jesus Christ, Network cunt. NETWORK. Go to job fairs do something Jesus
>>
>>73414650

What are you a no life beta cuck no ones gonna give you a job just cause you have a degree from a fucking shitstain college. Go out and talk to people if you want a job move it's a big country if you can't find a job in stem you failed.
>>
how does one network when one has autism
>>
>>73417885
Kek. Relevant story
>get out of muhrines
>move to dc because maybe school/work for me and work for wife.
>fluff up my resume with deployment experiences, high level references, leadership experience
>zero college, 84 average in highschool.
>go to senate office and cold drop resumes with individualized cover letters to everyone I was a ever a constituent.
>interview with three chiefs of staff, say out of the thousand resumes a day they get, they liked mine cause I was different and had real world experence.
>get put in a senators legislative team. (Not telling you which, don't trust you niggers)
I get payed around 35k to read legislative docs and legal docs and then brief the chief. The other two faggots that work with me have over 300k in college debt and both actually passed the bar.

They really, really hate me. Ones a woman too lol
>>
>>73419278
This. Didn't send a resumee in my life. All my jobs I acquired were through connections (made while in college, internships, events, etc). It's super hard to compete with hundreds of people for a job if you're fresh out of college.
>>
That's because EE is one of the bad Engineering fields to get into. I guarantee you didn't research it very well before choosing it as your major.
>>
File: 1461511981433.png (53 KB, 657x527) Image search: [Google]
1461511981433.png
53 KB, 657x527
>>73418512

Ironic considering the European black market for firearms is greater than ever. But the sheeple Euro normies won't even think about getting one until it's too late, pretty sure the first thing the state does when SHTF is that they go around taking the registered firearms away. We're inching a catastrophe of some kind, I don't know if it's a conventional war between the great states or a civil war type of crisis popping up around in Europe but it's coming.

EU is a fucking joke.
>>
>>73414650
Start your own company building guitar pedals. Should be easy as fuck for an EE graduate.
>>
>>73415823
I remember this thread
>>
This is why you go to professional school instead of a general degree. Unfortunately there are too many people with regular degrees.
>>
File: stop_that_feel.png (87 KB, 285x285) Image search: [Google]
stop_that_feel.png
87 KB, 285x285
>>73414650
I know that feel.
I graduated in CE. Worked 2 internships. When my last internship ended (3 months after I graduated) I had 5 companies fighting to hire me... I wound up being forced to pick the most prestigious firm in my industry with Benefits that make Microsoft look like a fly-by-night gig and pay well out of the stratosphere of my peers... It fucking sucked.

I've been working this position for about 9 months now, already received a raise and I've been working from home 3 days out of the week.. and I accrue 10 hours PTO every month.. At this rate I can take an entire month off and get paid.

And the fucking worst part, when I work with clients they're constantly trying to offer me better jobs with higher pay and better benefit packages.. It just doesn't stop.. I can't even sign in to LinkedIn anymore because I have these fucking scoundrels constantly trying to recruit me for projects.

Your family and friends in Humanities made the right choice. We royally fucked ourselves.
>>
>>73418453
Do it as a hobby m8, it will become useful when the time comes.
>>
>>73416215
Tell me about it. I did that stupid CE meme bullshit and now I have these fucking assholes price matching my 401k.. when will the pain stop!?
>>
>>73414650
No one ever brings up Medicine in these threads. There's plenty of cheap schools in the Caribbean and Australia that you can get in during undergrad. Loans are easy, but you could get it in from any uni really. All you need to do is perform on boards or a year of research and you can get any residency you want. Guaranteed 1% of society.
>>
>>73417048
Od you know what's :^)
>>
File: IQ - 143.jpg (13 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
IQ - 143.jpg
13 KB, 300x300
>>73414650
Not everyone can have an IQ above 105
>>
>>73414650
ITT roleplaying NEETs who dropped out of high school
>>
>>73417047
>failing the EIT
Holy shit, I took that after my sophmore year, didn't study at all, and passed my frst time around. Literally 'look the equation up in the exam book and plug and chug': the test
>>
File: 51219099.jpg (40 KB, 276x183) Image search: [Google]
51219099.jpg
40 KB, 276x183
>>73419423
You're making peanuts.
>>
>>73415875
To be fair, the STEM job market is becoming oversaturated because so many people are falling for le STEM master race meme. There's nothing wrong with getting an education in design or liberal arts rather than LE STEM as long as it's something practical and not "Masters in Diverse Transnigger Studies". Plenty of people I went to high school with went into liberal arts and then went on to law school after that.
>>
>>73420719
Plenty of people went into STEM but forgot the most important part.. you have to be good at it.

The failure rate for EE, CE, CS, etc is crazy high.
>>
File: 1462655020552.png (67 KB, 847x521) Image search: [Google]
1462655020552.png
67 KB, 847x521
>tfw I can't into math but I'm good at programming
>tfw it's incredibly difficult to graduate because of this
>>
>>73418455
does the US not have certs or something? Up here you cannot get a trade job unless you are a qualified journeyman so they literally pay you you to go into a trade instead of going to university because all of the immigrants are usually in medicine or engineering if they're coming over as skilled workers.
>>
File: 1438289141734.jpg (55 KB, 264x374) Image search: [Google]
1438289141734.jpg
55 KB, 264x374
>>73419423
>payed
>reviews legal briefs for senate chief of staff

Uh huh.
>>
>>73420719
the practical job market for liberal arts is ten times as saturated as the stem job market
>>
File: 1461446505038.png (691 KB, 644x646) Image search: [Google]
1461446505038.png
691 KB, 644x646
>STEM meme

Does this refer to people who pick a major, go to class, and do fuck all to actually find employment? I figured if you pick something STEM-related and actually build relationships with professors and are proactive in looking for internships, employment shouldn't be too rough. MY sister was a Chem major in undergrad and now she's in a PhD program doing cancer research (not 100% on what she's getting her degree in at the moment, something related to medical research). To be fair, though, the networking piece is true for most majors. Don't rule out grad school, either, since a pretty sizeable chunk of undergraduate majors are nothing more than glorified stepping stones at this point.

I can't speak from experiencethough as I wasn't a STEM major. I was a Psychology major and ended up getting my Masters in Counseling and went on to get licensed as a Mental Health Counselor in my state. I finished school in December 2014 and haven't had any issues getting work to support myself financially and live well. If I could do this in a field as over saturated and packed as Psychology, STEM shouldn't be too hard unless the whole "Chang and Pajeet taking all the jerbs" meme is real.
>>
File: 1461987034753.jpg (174 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1461987034753.jpg
174 KB, 800x600
>>73414650

>EE
>Berkeley
>a country the size of America
>no job

Are you sending your resumes in Comic Sans or some shit? You're not making any sense.
>>
>>73414650
Applied for a pleb teir job last week, learned there were 86 other applicants.

Fuck this shit.
>>
>>73421227

Possibly, yeah. I go to the unioversity of Bath who are pretty good at their graduate employment rate, mainly because something like over half the students here go and do a 1 year industrial placement and the experience in general is a big help when applying for other positions.
>>
>Bachelor's in Biochemistry
>GPA over 3.9
>Ton of research experience
>Literally useless unless I get a higher degree which will take like 6+ years.

Med school is torture and the benefits of being a doctor are on a huge decline thanks to democrats

Pharmacy ludicrously oversaturated.

PhD route will require 6 years of grad school then 2+ years of postdoc, then maybe a real job.

Don't do biology if you want a good job, kids. Just don't.
>>
>>73417047
I am sure you have posted this story before.

That or the re-posting bots are real.
>>
>>73421227
A lot of STEM majors on this site have no work experience or internships when they graduate due to the amount of autism this site generates.

Reason why there's a lot of trade shilling on /pol/ is because apprenticeships give you a good amount of work experience which makes it really easy to find a job.

Military non combat trades are good too if you're not American. Starting pay for military trades here is 50k a year even if you're just starting out which is increased to spec pay once you get your journeyman status.
>>
>>73421566
All sciences are useless unless you get a higher degree
>>
Doing my chemical engineering bachelors right now, planning on doing the masters after I finish.
Just how fucked am I, really?
>>
M8, at least you have a chance at getting a good job.

I got my BA in English and I'm working at a library for $12 an hour. I'm not qualified to do anything that might pay more than that, tbqh
>>
>>73414650

Maybe shit's fucked in the US, but here in the UK the engineering sector's a good enough one to go into that some quite big companies are not only accepting of people who graduate with a 2:2, but opently advertise it (Because sometimes applying, even if they usually only hire 2:1s, might still get you lucky if they're impressed by other shit on your CV).
>>
>>73421838
Is the library comfy?
>>
File: 20150918_154129.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
20150918_154129.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>>73414650

>get ME degree
>get job starting at $56K a year in FL

I guess I did alright. I got two internships (both paid @ $40K a year) when I was in college. Got my job at the same company the week I graduated.
>>
>>73420405
Eh, residency rates are quite low, less than 50%. They don't want you back in the USA.
>>
File: pics_1012.png (54 KB, 857x721) Image search: [Google]
pics_1012.png
54 KB, 857x721
>>73414650
Being this butthurt
>>
>>73415875

Sure it can be. STEM fields are contracting and hiring foreigners when needed. Electrical Engineering will see no growth this year according the IEEE (I'm a dues-paying member). Compare to Humanities, especially something like English, where you can go get some corporate paper-pushing job and comfortably make $40K/year sucking Mr. Boss's cock.
>>
>>73421838
Look into factory work in the office department. When I was 20 we had a lot of people with a BA in Liberal Arts/English making a decent wage ( 22/hr plus full benefits) working in the office drafting up papers and stuff.

When people think factory work, they think Mexicans working for 9 dollars an hour but third party manufacturing plants pay really well.

Shit, even the labor work isn't bad if you're looking to save up for going back to school. I was making 17.40/hr with a shitload of optional overtime and I was just some pasty 20 year old white kid with no degree. Some of them also let you transition into an apprenticeship if they have welding departments.
>>
>>73421566
So what are you going to do?
>>
>>73414650
You forgot
>join fraternity
>drink heavily
>cheat on all homework and tests, learn nothing
>wonder why you struggle during interviews

Successful engineers grow up with an interest in technology, you don't just throw some retard into college and expect them to become an engineer
>>
>>73420528
Bingo
>employed
> on /pol/
Pick 1
>>
>>73422169
That's pretty low desu, but if it's a small company where you have a wide range of responsibilities, it's definitely worth it.

I got an ME degree and make $80k out of college (Kansas), but every coworker I've talked to has told me that the company I work for is a terrible place to start, and that I'll have a hard time transferring that experience the next time I look for a job
>>
>>73420655
35k a year from low level salary.
1,400 a month for disability
2,400 a month housing stipend (gi bill) because I'm also doing 12 credits at George mason

>peanuts
>>
>>73421994

Sometimes. At least once or twice a day, I have some asspained person complaining to me about their overdue fines, though.

>>73422336

Thanks, I'll look into that. I'll never be able to buy a house with what I'm making now.
>>
>>73422347

PhD because I'm retarded.
>>
>>73422495

The first two don't necessarily make someone a shit engineer, although going to uni just because of them is the sign of a shitty person in any career.
>>
File: 1366488664258.jpg (150 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
1366488664258.jpg
150 KB, 600x900
WWE@ PHILOSOPHY&ECON BROS GOIN' TO LAW SCHOOL
>>
File: image.png (9 KB, 240x210) Image search: [Google]
image.png
9 KB, 240x210
>>73414650

I'm 6'4", have an 8" cock, and I made $400,000 last year working as a chef at Wendy's.
>>
>>73418268
Pretty much this. Trades take a lot more initiative though, if you don't stay on top of the field it's easy to get into a dead end job and have your skills become outdated
>>
>>73415307
Markorepairs!

Funny guy.
>>
File: noninvrt.gif (2 KB, 365x285) Image search: [Google]
noninvrt.gif
2 KB, 365x285
>>73414650
I did Computer Systems (EE+CS)

My GPA was 2.2 out of 4
> I attended less that 20 lectures TOTAL in my entire degree; only compulsory labs and virtually zero tutorials...

Wish did better, but I have a job I found by working on my own projects to have something good for my CV
>>
>>73422654

We're all retards for putting ourselves through PhD study. If you haven't started, don't. Just kill yourself, it's much less painful.
>>
>Got enough money for a house and a car
>working the min wage
>no college education
I know some of my friends will be better off than me in 20/30 years but I honestly couldn't give a fuck
>>
>>73415787
Without an unpaid intern you don't gain experience you retard. An idiot who read a book is still an idiot. I want someone who demonstrably knows what they're doing.
>>
>>73414650
Then you're just bad at life. I don't have a college degree and I have companies throwing six figure jobs at me constantly. I've turned down eight or so in the last two years.
>>
>>73422620
>1,400 a month for disability
So you're milking Uncle Sucker.
>>
>>73422823
Tell us the secret of your success.
>>
>>73422878

There's no alternative that would be any less shit.
>>
File: happy merchant china.jpg (38 KB, 501x585) Image search: [Google]
happy merchant china.jpg
38 KB, 501x585
Whatever you faggots do just don't get into business of finance. Be good goys now.
>>
>>73415823
>can't do thing useful to companies

Engineering should be the way to go then.
>>
>>73422597

I have never heard of anyone getting 80K out of college, ever. So either you're lying (probably most likely) or you have some set of skills that are highly desired and are at least 1:200 in terms of mechanical engineers.
>>
>>73414650
i would have believed you until you said humanities
>>
>>73423066

I'm a lowly oilfield worker.

Work half the year and make $60K

Gotta do something different if I'm ever going to become wealthy though.
>>
college is a meme
no one wants to hire an autist just because they have a piece of paper, unless they are off the charts gifted
>>
>>73423174

Maybe it's because I went to an "elite" school (Jew-approved), but I know lots of guys who made 80k out of college or more. Some went into consulting, some went into banking, others were engineering... I knew one very annoying French major who went into investment banking for some reason. Kid had a 3.0 GPA and was as dumb as bricks. Must've had some familial connection...
>>
>>73422620
$2400/mo? That's twice my mortgage on. 4700ft^2 house, no wonder the government's broke.
>>
>>73420719
>Plenty of people I went to high school with went into liberal arts and then went on to law school after that.
Don't fall for the law school meme
>>
>>73423315
Some trades work great here too.
I heard that underwater welders have really great salary (5000-6000€ a month).
60k a year isn't bad at all, unless you live in California. As long as you have enough to live and save, don't put too much stress on you Anon.
>>
>>73414650
>parents discouraged me from stem since i was a talented musician
>do stem anyway since i enjoy it and music doesn't pay
>now make bank, enjoy my life, laugh at unemployed libarts berniefags

The key is to pursue an economically valuable and lucrative STEM career. And of course to be good at it.
>>
>>73423446

Makes sense then. If you went to Ivy or MIT then maybe you could make 80K a year starting. From what I heard ~$50K starting is the norm.
>>
>>73423572

Law school is really only a bad choice in the states if you're not committed or you go to some random poorly ranked school. The top 30ish schools feed into good law firms. The top 10 feed into "Big Law." Then you have schools that are good regionally (University of Richmond and George Washington U. come to mind), which are fine if you want to work in those areas. BTW, the number of law school applicants has actually being going down for the first time in decades.
>>
>>73422169
How do you get some experience Anon ? I ordered a Arduino Uno and I want to do some cool experiences and learn more about electronics.
>>
>>73414650
Bullshit there is no way you can't find a job after an EE in Berkeley. You probably just graduated and have not realized the job search takes atleast 3 months
>>
>>73420719
>>73420855
this
people don´t get more intelligent. STEM is not for everyone because it´s hard. and you can easier monetize STEM related projects than something with gender studies knowledge
>>
I finished computer science here in this shithole and i work as a system administrator in a bank making 1300€
>>
>>73423673
Cali trades pay a shitload of money because the economy there is overinflated to hell and back.
>>
>>73416215
I'm currently pursuing a Bachelors in CE. Do I have to go through all the way to masters to actually get a good job?
>>
File: TrumpShrine.gif (2 MB, 380x214) Image search: [Google]
TrumpShrine.gif
2 MB, 380x214
>>73423897

Honestly just think of some projects that may interest you. For me lighting is my autism trigger so I do most of my projects with lighting.

1. Think of a project
2. Order parts
3. Watch YouTube videos to get an idea of what you're doing
4. Do stuff

That screen you see there is actually going to be used for a home made dive computer.
>>
>>73423902
>3 months
For my first internship I sent out 8 applications and landed a job within maybe a month.

For my first full time job I sent out all of one or two resumes, and received an offer within two weeks.
>>
File: 3e5.png (105 KB, 500x583) Image search: [Google]
3e5.png
105 KB, 500x583
>>73415884
This was a tough read.
>>
>>73423897
if you have absolutely no knowledge, learn python and buy this

http://www.amazon.com/SunFounder-Project-Starter-Arduino-Mega2560/dp/B00D9NQDAG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462740837&sr=8-1&keywords=sunfounder+arduino+kit

this kit shows you alot, starting from there you get the feeling how electronics works
>>
>>73414650

You can't even take pure EE at Berkeley, nigger. You have to take EECS.
>>
>>73423572
>>73423880

I should also say that law school is DIFFICULT. The work load is immense, especially at top ten schools. There are kids who were good at just getting by as undergraduates who can't hack it in law school and drop out. There are also lots of people who don't really have any direction in life and figure "hey, lawyers make lots of money, I like money and sports cars. I'll go to law school!" They don't realize what they're getting into and wind up dropping out.
>>
File: 20151011_163235.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
20151011_163235.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>>73424548

Please don't learn python. It may be the easier route but if you start to get into micro controllers more you will realized you made a mistake using that language. Stick to C/C++.
>>
>>73424311
absolutely fucking brilliant
>>
>>73423174
Slight fib I guess

>took one grad class in undergrad
>couldn't find a job after graduation, so I stayed to work on a Master's part time while looking for work
>two months into my degree, get an interview as an intern for a large aerospace company that relates directly to the one grad class I had completed
>at the interview, tell them I want full time work, they're down
>pay is $40/hr, but no benefits
>mfw I find out the "basic qualifications" are 5-7 years of experience in airframe structural analysis

Anyway I'm miserable, will be looking for a new position once I get my Master's
>>
>>73414650
Yeah I am a 2nd Electrical engineering student my self.
I am 4 classes away from the AS degree, but I am aiming for the BS anyway.

I can't find any job AT ALL. No one is hiring out here and I am in a large city. Even getting a shitty retail job is hard and I can only get seasonal positions
>>
>>73424787
well the projects are fortunately written in both languages
>>
>>73424931

Not a fib. My position gives benefits but still 80K job is an 80K job. Also, interesting job story. I guess that one class actually paid off for you.
>>
>>73421015
You can be a developer without extensive knowledge in mathematics. Sure you won't work with algos at Google, but you can still make good money. I'm borderline retarded and can't maths for shit. I got a meme degree in information systems and got job offers before I even graduated. Then when you start working you specialize and an ask for a higher salary.
>>
Damn you guys are smart I couldn't even finish high school in burger land are y'all all chinks? Or chink half breeds?
>>
>>73424931
>>73423726
Oh and I went to my hometown state school

>~$50k starting
That seems low, especially if you take places like California into account. Even one of the non-aerospace companies I applied for offered $60k, and they make cooking pans and doggie doors.
>>
>>73425314

Oh cool. Is it like a tutorial kit where there are projects in both C and Python? That's pretty cool.

Anyway, I'll let baguette bro decide which language is appropriate:

http://www.differencebetween.info/difference-between-cplusplus-and-python
>>
>>73425323
Yes it did, especially after *a solid year* of looking for work with no realistic offers. It's weird that we're in the information age, and yet the job offers you get depend so much on random chance and being a friend of a friend of a friend
>>
File: output_QQzhUp.gif (3 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
output_QQzhUp.gif
3 MB, 480x270
>>73424863

Thanks. Illumination is my fetish it seems. I usually have multiple illumination projects going. The code for my LED strip is ridiculously huge.
>>
>>73421574
Yea it's my story and it's real. Just imagine how I feel everytime someone like Hillary comes out for this "equal pay for equal work" bullshit. I feel completely forgotten by society like I should just go die in a ditch somewhere.
>>
>>73425983

>friend of a friend of a friend

I wish they taught this in college to start networking early. I was fortunate that I had a shitload of contacts from hobbies.
>>
>>73424375
Getting a good job son. I turned down multiple offers until I hit 70k
>>
>>73419423

Cool story if true bro, but as a former military guy myself, you'll need to get some education. Your writing is not so hot, and small typos/spelling errors do get you judged.

Additionally, you are probably realizing 30-40k in DC is poverty-tier, unless your wife is an anesthesiologist.

Good luck though.
>>
STEM is retarded.

It should just be T.

All the jobs are in tech. Everything is bound to be automated in the future. Who writes that software? Comp Sci.

You choose the wrong degree.
>>
>>73415884
people only go for physics when they cant get into engineering programs
>>
File: 1462649830738.jpg (58 KB, 694x605) Image search: [Google]
1462649830738.jpg
58 KB, 694x605
>>73414650
>they are people who still study stem
>When China has an inflation of Stem graduates that companies can hire with ease
>same going on in India

Theres economics , Marketing , architecture, law etc etc
>>
>fall for STEM meme
>Do CS
>Currently doing year long placement
>Only getting paid 20k

JUST
>>
>>73426727

M..MULTI TRACK DRIFTING??!!
>>
>>73417739
lol i was doing JD work on contrat for 30 bucks an hour without a JD

basically law offices don't even hire you faggots anymore
>>
File: arbetssokande.jpg (387 KB, 2600x1650) Image search: [Google]
arbetssokande.jpg
387 KB, 2600x1650
jfmsu
>>
>>73414650
>Berkeley graduate with Cum Laude
>can't find a job
is this b8?
>>
>>73422931
Do you honestly think you get any real experience as an unpaid intern? Like they're going to let you do anything if you give your work away for free
>>
>>73419423
literally was in the same situation except i never had to even be in the office. i just did the work at home

>actually falling for the law meme
>>
>>73426876
You just chose a shit job.
>Get year long placement co-op job during my 3rd year
>40k
>Graduate
>60k/year starting
>I'm almost at 80k and I haven't even hit 25
>>
I'm graduating with a Philosophy degree and only retail job experience

What the fuck do I do?

I know I got the ultimate meme degree, is it completely 100% worthless? Does having it
>>
Doing a joint maths/physics degree at a top 5 UK university. Am I going to live on JSA?
>>
>>73414650
>have STEM job
>make lots of money
>sit on my ass most of the day
>lilly white, soft hands because lack of hard work
>biggest job threat is carpal tunnel
>will get juicy retirement benefit
>skin untouched by sun
>fucking office nerd chicks all the time.
>office parties, luncheons, silly fundraisers
>shitload of cash in bank
>if I fuck up there are at least 4-5 other employees to cover for me
>any problems known are too complex to be understood by management
>will never lose my job due to cuts, IT is vital to company no matter how worthless I really am.
>>
>>73427354
You are aware your placement only paid 1k more than mine.
>>
>>73420405
enjoy spending 10 years (literally ten years) trying to find a residency
>>
>>73427356
Law school or sales if you're a smooth mofo
>>
>>73415307
>creating mobile apps to increase passive income on my own time
fake desu
>>
>>73423174
Entry level coding jobs make $60-$90 an hour at entry level
>>
>>73427029
>designs sign so that the stick goes over the text
>can't even read one of the letters in his e-mail address
>trusting him to to do so much as prepare burgers
>>
>>73414650
Your life from now it would be a plot for a degenerate feminist comedy TV show
>>
>>73427573

I'm not a programmer. I'm a mechanical engineer. Programming and EE are just hobbies.
>>
>>73427356
become a philosopher king like molyneux and btfo all non-arguments
>>
>>73427432
By current exchange rates? Yeah.
But this was years ago, when the dollar was significantly stronger. I made closer to 30k GBP at the time.
>>
>>73427029
Why isn't he wearing a suit? You can't get a STEM job without one. You can get one for $12 at a thrift store, usually almost new.
>>
File: oQKSA.jpg (527 KB, 1697x1200) Image search: [Google]
oQKSA.jpg
527 KB, 1697x1200
>>73426911
DE JA VU
HAVE WE HAD THIS THREAD BEFORE?
>>
I got into engineering specifically for the dream of working 50 hours a week and making 100k per year

would be a dream come true, really. would never have to worry about money or women again
>>
>>73428041
>Why isn't he wearing a suit? You can't get a STEM job without one.
I hope this is bait

Pro-tip: This may be a coincidence, but I only started getting offers after I stopped showing up to interviews in a suit. Slacks, dress shirt, and tie are more than enough, at least for entry level.
>>
>>73414650
It's not about the STEM meme. There are no jobs in California. You need a Masters for entry level. 3.4 GPA is also pretty unacceptable. You're expected to graduated with a 3.8 at least if you want a chance at a job.

>>73415814
Yes but only after you make it past the first year or so of climbing up. Entry level is still extremely difficult to get. I have a Bachelors degree and CCNP and I can tell you that without experience, even someone of that background should consider themselves blessed for even landing a $15/hour technician job.
>>
>>73428233
I've interviewed hundreds as part of my STEM career. We never hire anybody who isn't in a suit, even if its an entry level Network 1 position.
If you can't take the time to show up on time and dressed well, then you obviously don't want the job.
I can understand if you're going for a pool lifeguard job its okay to show up in shorts.
>>
File: 20160322_134058.jpg (2 MB, 3096x4128) Image search: [Google]
20160322_134058.jpg
2 MB, 3096x4128
>>73428104

You probably won't be working more than 40 hours a week, and you probably won't be making 6 figures unless you're a specialist in your field.

Also, being an engineer doesn't fix women issues...
>>
>>73427029
Pretty sure this guy is retarded. LTH is Lunds tekniska högskola, which is, atleast regionally very competitive. I used to see him here in Lund and at Malmö train station , always looking like a complete retard. What is he expecting? Someone to just walk up to him and hand him a fucking job because he has super-autismo and a degree to prove it?
>>
File: 1429801129982.png (75 KB, 414x260) Image search: [Google]
1429801129982.png
75 KB, 414x260
>>73428088

>that train drift

shit thanks for reminding me of initial d and that train drift game.
>>
>>73418404
>AI replacing law

when
>>
>>73428645
I plan on specializing. In graduate school now
>>
>>73428524
Different depending on culture and company. That guy is from Sweden, I go to the same university and things are a lot less formal here. It would actually probably seem weird if you showed up in a full suit. When I went to one of the assessment centres there was only one guy who was suited up and he looked out of place as fuck, and that was with IBM, a company I thought would be a bit more formal than their Swedish counterparts
>>
>>73428910
Yeah but Swedes are faggots
>>
>>73414650

> udel
> chem e with finance minor
> 84k out the gate

How did you fuck up so bad anon?
>>
>>73419978
I know the feeling man. I got a job at the top academic research institution in the world and now I've got a scholarship to continue onto grad school and get my PhD at my dream school which is also a top ranked school. After that between the publications I'm on and my work and education background, I'll have to deal with lots of 6 figure jobs with great benefits in private industry.
>>
>>73428524
I guess it depends on location. Here in Nowhere, Kansas, some of the older engineers find them distasteful. The CEO of Cessna is pretty well known for coming in wearing jeans and cowboy boots, for example.
>>
>>73428948
As stated above, american company but yeah whatever nice argument
>>
File: 20150918_161207.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
20150918_161207.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1536
>>73428873

>grad school

Oh. Uh that may help you find a job initially, but it's not going to be much of a help career wise. You really want real world experience and to gain competence in your respective field. A masters won't hurt, but it won't help long term.
>>
>>73419978
I know the feel bro. I fell for the functional programming meme and now I can't walk down the street without having a recruiter try and buy me a beer and be my friend. I wish I would've been a good little cs faggot and done something hip like Javascript or app dev. Now I'm a 22 yr old backend developer making 130k a year with no debt since I went to a state school. And the worst part, I don't even get to live with a bunch of brogramming faggots in SF since I have a nice apartment in NYC instead. I wish I just majored in english instead.
>>
>>73421227
It's a joke you fucking twit. Not surprised you didn't get it tho. Psych majors are a bunch of stupid Chads and Stacys
>>
>>73429632
stop with your faggot memes
>>
>>73426577
>implying a doctorate in physics isn't as hard as engineering
>>
What sucks about the USA is we are importing the top 10% of every other country effectively through various programs and the effect is regular non autistic people are being pushed out of the job market.

This is not going to end well.
>>
>2.1 GPA
>still get job because milfag
Lel
>>
>>73430338
this is a good thing, actually. keeps us competitive and keeps whites in their place

average white american in any given stem program is very stupid
>>
>>73414650
>openly ridiculed by my employed friends in the humanities

Literally, "would you like fries with that?"

Stay NEET. It gets better.
>>
File: 1233362797277.jpg (99 KB, 498x500) Image search: [Google]
1233362797277.jpg
99 KB, 498x500
>>73414650
>employed friends in the humanities
>>
>>73414650
Bullshit
Asu engineering major here with a 3.0 i have 3 jobs lined up and sent out 10 applications alone.
>>
>>73428662
I guess autism comes with a degree in "engineering physics".
>>
>>73423726
I started at 85 and I graduated from a state school. Software engineer
>>
>>73430499
Its bait you idiot.
>>
>>73414650
I went to school for quantum chemistry and physics, I work in the aerospace industry on things that most people can only dream of.
>>
>>73430734
>Its bait you idiot.

What threads aren't?
>>
File: 7phuJaq6.jpg (42 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
7phuJaq6.jpg
42 KB, 512x512
>>73414650
>Majoring in IT Security
>Internship at a company over the summer and guaranteed job once I graduate next year
Hell yeah I fell for the STEM meme
>>
>>73426532
Won't they just make AI that codes?
>>
>>73430639
>30639â–¶
>>>73428662 (You)

Have you seen his site? http://www.gamereality.se/
I really hope he lands a job as a web developer lmfao
>>
>>73414650
STEM isn't a meme

you're just all autists and probably dont realize it (because you're an autist)

unfortunately most STEM majors lack the interpersonal, teamwork, and leadership skills sought after in the job market and which form a huge part of application-screening procedures
>>
File: 1458440948874.jpg (56 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
1458440948874.jpg
56 KB, 600x300
Everyone is doing STEM now so all of you guys are fucked.
>>
>>73414650
it shows the state the western civilization is in
>>
>>73427545

Been at it for a couple of years, making about 400-500€ extra per month which is a decent bonus.
>>
The issue isn't the degree, it's that you neckbeards can't sell yourself to get a job.

I graduated in 2008 without a special GPA and have had no issue maintaining employment.
>>
>>73431151
>Be STEM major
>don't be autistic
not that hard tbqh.
>>
Silly nonesense
>>
File: 20150919_171201.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
20150919_171201.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>>73430231

lennyFace.txt
>>
>>73431623
maybe it's just because i go to an ivy, but most of the STEM students here are pretty autismo

i know one other physics major who is above-average in social skills
>>
>do ee
>graduate with 2.7 gpa
>get paid 200k/year right out of college to work in iraq for american contractor
>retire a millionaire in my 30s, avoid tax because its basically a fucking war zone

still keking so hard. I just dump hundreds of thousands of dollars in stocks now, sit on them until 10% profit, cash out. Zero risk, made over 400k in the past 2 years. Fucking hilarious, the world is clearly fucked, this free lunch is ending and when it does people are going to get slaughtered for a loaf of bread.
>>
>>73431297

Too bad the proportion of people actually capable of graduating from a good school with a STEM degree is the same as always :)
>>
>>73431623
Pretty much this. Anyone I talk to who has trouble with job hunting has no social skills and can't present themselves favorably to prospective employers.
>>
How do you guys find the willpower to sit down and study?
I do moderately well (I'm in STEM too) by studying a couple of days before the exam, but I could do so much better if I weren't such a lazy fuck.
>>
>>73432070
PROVE IT
>>
>>73422823
That's what I'm always saying bro, the fast food industry is where the money's at
>>
>>73432152
>but I could do so much better if I weren't such a lazy fuck.
well there's your problem, doesn't seem to be any type of disability
all you need is discipline, turn off any distractions and just read
maybe don't study the days before exams, frequently overview stuff
>>
>>73432152
By studying things I'm interested in. Same reason I can sit down and play video games for 8 hours.
>>
File: ironic.jpg (48 KB, 601x314) Image search: [Google]
ironic.jpg
48 KB, 601x314
Haha, hear me out

>graduating from high school
>dunno what to do in college
>'lel anon, go to law school, it's easy moneyz and you're smart'
>'you don't even have to be a lawyer, just apply for public service and never work again lmao'
>am graduating
>severely depressed
>country in the worst crysis of its history, therefore not hiring for public service
>didn't make contacts in college, so can't get a decent job as a lawyer

Now I'm studying to apply for STEM, probably CS.
>
>>
>>73414650

can you take of pic of ur berkeley diploma before i give you advice worth $80K to you
>>
>>73415307
>CS
Implying anyone needs you when they can pay poos for 1/10 and get the job done.
>>
>>73417739
what was your undergraduate school
just curious
>>
>>73432471
Nice try Schlomo
>>
>>73432346
Yeah, I will read the stuff more often. At least this year I'm going more frequently to classes.

>>73432375
Discovered a bit too late that I'm not that interested in programming and such. I am almost finished however so no point in squandering all these years.
Besides, this opened my eyes to fields that really do seem interesting to me and I can get into them easier once I have a degree.
>>
>>73432376

Law school should only be done straight through if you are mensa level smart.

Easier to do something else, get experience, then do it later since you'll have MUCH better skills to market.
>>
Working toward a stats degree, anyone know how that fields doing?
>>
>>73421566
I lasted one semester in med school, not that I couldn't keep up, all the people are psychotic and hospitals are terrible places to spend all your time.

Did lab tech for 2 years and it was horrible.

Now I'm trying to come up with a business plan while I enroll back in school bc of student loan debt.

Please, please kill me.
>>
>>73415884
I wonder if he calculated how long it would take him to hit the ground, and how much force that would be.
>>
>>73414650
I don't understand why people work? You do the same thing every day and you don't get to experience anything other then pleasing somebody else.

Which at the end of the day won't matter because you will have to do the very same thing the next day. Just live out in the woods with a German Shep. and just chill. Do side jobs on CL if you need money. Most pay 100 or above.
>>
File: 1454624709959.gif (500 KB, 500x196) Image search: [Google]
1454624709959.gif
500 KB, 500x196
>>73420855
This.
Only reasonable fucking post in the thread. If you're not good at what you're studying and doing it for money; you're gonna bomb hard, regardless of degree.
>>
>>73432637

Have you ever worked with Pajeets? I'm sure Indians produce some decent coders themselves, but the vast majority of them are monkeys who rarely have the slightest clue what they are doing. The company I worked for had three Indians in a sea of Whites and several Asians.
>>
You need to be elite to get a job, even at an elite school like Berkeley.
>>
>>73432820
Well, my IQ is something like 138, but I get your point. The thing is, I thought only a diploma would give me a job, but reality hit me really hard.
>>
I'm about to get my degree in Computer Science

Probably going to just get a job in IT so I can focus on making video games in my spare time. IF, a big if, I'm successful in games I will open my own studio. Until then its just whatever. I don't need to be well off.
>>
>>73432637

them poo in loos can't code for shit. If they get brought on they immediately get replaced with people to fix their work. That is, if the employer cares.
>>
Are poo in loos taking your job where you work?
>>
Ive become really worried about falling into the wrong major and ending up with no job opportunities. I heard that Aerospace Engineering is growing faster than a lot of other STEM fields, anyone have info on that? Im a High School senior about to start college but I have time to change my major as long as it stays within Engineering. I looked online and actually found a lot of well-payed entry level Aerospace jobs so that impresses me.
>>
Would it be better to get a BBA with a concentration in Finance or major in Accounting?
>>
>>73433026
underrated
>>
>>73414650
>graduate with degree in programming
>not sure what my GPA is because we don't use that in NZ
>completely useless
>never got a job out of it
>got 1 interview from it

Should have done networking desu senpai
>>
>>73433641
Oh also do any Aero-anons know if a major in ME with a minor in Aero would be qualifications enought for an Aerospace position?
>>
>>73414650
>not doing an internship into a job in college or building a portfolio
That's what you get for believing the jewish lie that a piece of paper has value.
>>
>>73432070
>Sit on 10% profit from investments
At least make your story plausible, senpai
>>
File: lynchgriffin.jpg (27 KB, 325x500) Image search: [Google]
lynchgriffin.jpg
27 KB, 325x500
>>73414650
Nigger why did you do econimics,

I did agriculture genetics and have people offering my jobs and paid graduate up the ass. Monsanto is gonna pay me 2k a month just to live on while im in grad school, sorry your a cuck to the slavic stem

https://soundcloud.com/couchtruthing/lets-make-america-great-again
>>
Just get involved in a multi level marketing group senpai, you'll work none and rake in millions
>>
File: 1462158010513.jpg (700 KB, 1920x936) Image search: [Google]
1462158010513.jpg
700 KB, 1920x936
>>73433811
>Should have done networking desu senpai

Why not making programs that are so good you can't be ignored? Only mediocre people rely on "networking".
>>
>>73433827
>>73433641

I majored in ME and did my Masters in AE and I'm working in the defense industry designing missiles. You don't even need the AE minor, although it wouldn't hurt. ME and AE are incredibly similar. You do NOT need an AE degree to get into the industry. Aerospace relies on all sorts of dicsiplines which is why mechanical engineering (which covers a very wide breadth of material) is so well suited to the industry. Of course aerospace is much more than your college major... Just about any STEM major should be able to get into the aerospace industry.
>>
>>73433641
>http://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/aerospace-engineers.htm
>Job outlook, 2014-2024: -2% (Decline)
>growing fast
lolno

Though, this number doesn't take into account the old guys that are retiring. Still, you better be good if you want a job.

It can pay well, but tends to be fast-paced, stressful, and the job security is low. My branch has probably let go half of its engineers over the past two years

Manufacturing is going to be the bulk of aerospace work for the next decade, so focus on hands-on skills more than autism skills.

>>73433827
Yes, an ME degree is fine (that's what I did) and an aerospace minor and related extracurriculars and internships will help
>>
>>73421359

Right now in Alberta it's fucking ridiculous.

Hundreds to thousands of applicants for damn near any job. Everyone's overqualified too, so you got construction companies demanding you have a half dozen different safety courses that they didn't require only a few years ago, just to filter down the list of applicants. Companies that uses to employ hundreds of people downsizing to sub-100, or shutting down altogether.
>>
Is electrical engineering really that bad? Thinking about going to community college then going to state college.
>>
>>73414650
>I didn't do any networking in college, better complain about it on /pol/
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.