[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I just getting old or has there be some sort of cultural shift
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: comfy tea.jpg (1 MB, 1500x869) Image search: [Google]
comfy tea.jpg
1 MB, 1500x869
Am I just getting old or has there be some sort of cultural shift where people only care about money and social standing?

For instance when I was younger, nobody really gave a shit about how much money you made or what car you drove.

Now all my friends are popping pills and stuck at dead end jobs. The strangest part is they actually have convinced themselves they are successful.

I make more money than most of my buddies and all I do is work shitty janitor / cook jobs. Meanwhile they are slaving away working 6 days a week trying to get "rich" and they still have less money than me.

How the fuck did people get brainwashed so bad into thinking that having a shitty apartment and some high-tech doodads was successful?

I'm about to have a kid and buy a house and I'm still working shitty jobs. What is wrong with these people? Why do they feel the need to do shitloads of drugs and lie about themselves? I can't stand most of them anymore.

Where does this need to appear successful come from? Is it just my inner circle or have any of you noticed it too?

Like they will lie about the car they drive or how many women they fuck, it's like some new kind of autism I only have seen 15 yr olds on the net practice. But this is in real-life.

tl;dr So /pol/ what is turning people into autistic, mindless, robot, zombies. Obsessed with the rat race, and their own make belief lives?
>>
Yeah that's real smart, have a kid while your a fucking janitor. Brilliant.
>>
>>73388402
Most jobs I get pay 25 bucks an hour dude... These guys are still living in bachelor suites and convincing themselves they are millionaires.
>>
>some sort of cultural shift

Yes. There has been a cultural shift.

Two generations ago, a job was a means to an end. It was what you did so you had the money to do interesting things.

Now a job is supposedly super-important and an almost obligatory conversation topic when meeting people.

>what is turning people into autistic, mindless, robot, zombies. Obsessed with the rat race, and their own make belief lives?

I think it's the capitalist system going into over-drive.

Much like the game of musical chairs forces people out each turn, the capitalist system (in your country and mine) is forcing people to work harder if they are working or pushing them into the unemployed abyss.
>>
>>73388402
Doesn't even fucking matter what job you have, the world is about to go to a shift, the old ones who fucked it completely are dying and the ones left wont be satisfied they have no chance in it without being born with a gold spoon or have insane luck.

The change is coming, I want it to hurry the fuck up so my kids will have a better world than mine.
>>
>>73388535
Yea it's like they know I make more money than them, so they get insecure as fuck around me.

They feel the need to talk about how successful they are, my only normal friend who isn't retarded and up his own ass is a waiter.

I hadn't seen my one old friend in a year, so we sat down to watch a movie. The whole time he just sat there bragging about his job and how cool he was. It's like everyone's brains melted and they all act like they did in highschool.
>>
>>73388607
I'm glad atleast some of you have noticed it. It's like fightclub but in reverse, they ego's are gigantic even if they only make 10 bucks an hour.

Like apparently owning a house and a car is a huge deal to these people.
>>
Well anyways, I'm going to go fap, because apparently I'm a super successful know-it-all according to my peer group.
>>
File: feels.jpg (12 KB, 200x196) Image search: [Google]
feels.jpg
12 KB, 200x196
>>73388278

this hit me right in the feels. i got hooked on pain meds after crashing on my bike going ~40mph ....totaled the bike and my right arm. a year later still popping them all day. just a few months ago got the biggest promotion of my life yet (im 25 yrs old, went from a technician to a service manager at a massive busy shop) so im making OK money now.

ditched all my old friends, were involved with sinaloa cartel moving shitty weed and shitty meth making decent money.

now im lonely, with not girlfriend currently, stuck at my dads house til i have a couple more grand saved up to get my own place again...

....but i know what you mean OP. everyone bullshits about them having sex, the money they make, the things they own, the people they know and the places theyve been.

its like everyone is just fronting and somehow weve all come to accept this as normal.

im very perceptive, i can tell instantly when someone is full of shit or someone is about to draw a weapon out and rob my ass. i see it all the time - people are just full of shit.

kinda sucks. then again it doesnt cuz it doesnt effect me, or my life really.
>>
>>73389636
>its like everyone is just fronting and somehow weve all come to accept this as normal.
>im very perceptive, i can tell instantly when someone is full of shit or someone is about to draw a weapon out and rob my ass. i see it all the time - people are just full of shit.
>kinda sucks. then again it doesnt cuz it doesnt effect me, or my life really.

Yes you put it perfectly, everyone be fronting, I used to laugh at them but not it's just irratating / rage inducing. I honestly don't care what you do for a living as long as you are chill and stuff.
>>
>>73388535
Good point. And corporations want people to be "passionate" about their shitty jobs instead of just getting the job done successfully.
>>
File: yeastyfeels.png (394 KB, 657x360) Image search: [Google]
yeastyfeels.png
394 KB, 657x360
>>73390071
same man :D i live down in AZ now but i actually grew up in north dakota.....used to go to canada all the time. most of you guys are chill as fuck.

but i agree it used to annoy the SHIT out of me. maybe its just me getting more mature (lol ya right) but slowly ive stopped giving a shit.

it being the way it is tho, is a little sad in a way. when did everyone decide that lying about even the smallest things, all the time, to co workers n such was normal? i think it somehow has to do with shit like facebook and twitter. both i dont use or have, but im betting that since everyone is posting their "highlight reel" and acting like thats their life 100% of the time, everyone else feels the need to compensate?
>>
>>73390959
Lol I don't know honestly, I think you and the aussie are both right. Since I do notice these people take shitloads of selfies.

It's so fucking weird, it only started in the past 5 or so years, everyone just fucking lies about everything.
>>
>>73388278
pretty much social media culture
create an online persona more interesting then you actually are, spin a web of lies to keep up the illusion.
Personally I blame the current group of "rolemodels" and the rise in handheld technology.

When was the last the time you had (or saw someone else) have smalltalk at places like a busstop? Now all everyone does is stare at the small screen.
>>
>>73391628
>>73391223
Just like the entire western world, we know that the the final bell tolled eight years ago and there is no avoiding the fatal conclusion of this delayed financial holocaust.

People are individually doing their part for the new post-terminal diagnosis western system and pumping out as much valueless, inflationary instruments of personal-value signalling as the bleeding edge information technology will allow.

We are all waiting for the office buildings to undergo their orderly demolitions and the payroll systems turning off for good. Then we will have 12-14 hours of battery life left to submit our last testament on the Happening, and after that it will all be over.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.