[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What you guys think about Geology? Is it a bad choice of career?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: Geology_symbol_1.png (26 KB, 491x500) Image search: [Google]
Geology_symbol_1.png
26 KB, 491x500
What you guys think about Geology?
Is it a bad choice of career?
>>
Digging in dirt and chipping rocks is a manly profession. Good choice, OP.
>>
No and I feel like they would be in demand in a place like Brazil, go for it
>>
It seems a little bit boring. No offense.
>>
I'm studying geology right now and it's full of masculine white men who like going outdoors

Good career hope oil rebounds soon
>>
File: bigwaste.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
bigwaste.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>73245902
All we ever talk about is clay. But it sounds like an OK profession if you like to get stoned all day and rock out.
>>
>>73245902
Ask elsewhere.
But I find geology to be an interesting field, especially when it comes to studying aquifers.
>>
I hope you're comfortable out in bear country.

I'd suggest carrying a 12 gauge with slugs.
>>
>>73245902

Geologist here, AMA.
>>
Geologist here. Confirmed for best profession
>>
File: 1461643206153.jpg (37 KB, 429x482) Image search: [Google]
1461643206153.jpg
37 KB, 429x482
>>73246801
>>73246805
What was the most valuable thing you've found in the ground? Gold? Diamonds? Fossils? Precious stones? Indian arrowheads? Pirate treasure?
>>
>>73245902
I am a geologist. B.S degree. Just got half-fired from a start up that is struggling to get funding here in frackland (eastern US). It can be a gamble in oil and gas, the swings, the millions, the working for a year for nothing to start a company. It is fun though.

Environmental work sucks. might be where I go, I might try to move to another country though. Don't want to go back to school, I want to make real money.

I ramble, I drink beer, I'm a geologist.
>>
>>73248155

Alaska, maybe?
>>
>>73247873
Geologist here also, have found many rubies and sapphires in North Carolina at a spot we always stopped when I was in college
>>
>>73248373
maybe Australia. I seriously would do something wild like go to Siberia or the outback...
>>
>>73248510
>>73248155
>>73246805
>>73246801

do you actually get out and do interesting shit?

i always considered geology when i was younger. fuck, i used to play the magic school bus geology adventure point-and-click game when i was a kid. had my own rock collection and everything.

somewhere along the line, though, i lost my way and became a council city planner.

did i fuck up?
>>
>>73248665

Northern Canada might be a good option, then.

IIRC, the Northwest Territories (or was it Nunavut?) is to become a province sometime in the future. That means that resources could finally be exploited properly.
>>
>>73248884
I did a lot of mapping and analysis of oil well logs. Only have been working for 8 months.

If you want kick ass field trips, in college I spent 6 weeks in Wyoming, colorado, Montana, and Idaho, mapping out mountains and looking at volcanoes and yellowstone.
>>
>>73247873
Never found anything worth much but I have Mineral specimens that are worth $5,000 and more
>>
>>73248884
Yes, you go out and do interesting stuff in wierd places. It's fun.
>>
>>73245902
Its a good career choice. Especially if you can be a prospector for some mining company.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.