[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What should I do if I fear of economic collapse/depression in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: dave.jpg (340 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
dave.jpg
340 KB, 1920x1080
What should I do if I fear of economic collapse/depression in the near future? How can I make myself secure?
>>
File: thumbnail.jpg (10 KB, 200x300) Image search: [Google]
thumbnail.jpg
10 KB, 200x300
>>
>>73115993
kek
>>
>>73114521
Guns. Lots and lots of guns.
>>
Well, in the immediate short-term, things like food and bullets will be money. Cigarettes, too.

Then in the slightly longer term, metals like copper and brass will be money, with gold making a comeback.

Then, in the longest terms, gold will be money again.

So, get gold now, and bullets, and food. And a few cartons on cigarettes. Load these into your Prius, and immediately drive into the woods.
>>
Have a passport. Save a pile of money and have some of it stored in other denominations and/or in foreign banks. Start learning a foreign language for somewhere else you could stand living. When the collapse happens... just leave the country.

All the other options pale next to this one when discussing the economic collapse/depression scenario, and believe me I've been looking at the best methods of prepping for various happenings for years now.
>>
>>73117023
Good suggestions. But toilet paper is where you will see the largest margins, and it's cheap as fuck to invest in. It will be like printing money when the shtf.
>>
File: ifonly.jpg (90 KB, 615x314) Image search: [Google]
ifonly.jpg
90 KB, 615x314
>>73117475
>have a passport
>leave the country
if only it was that easy
>>
>>73117800
It IS that easy. Get a plane ticket, drive across the border, whatever. You asked about economic collapse, not about something like an EMP. These things don't turn into riots in the street and people becoming cannibals overnight. If things are getting bad, pull up stakes and Get Out. You need a passport to do that, and you'll need money (which is actually the most useful thing during a depression anyways because you won't have to worry about getting kicked out of your house or being unable to buy food when you lose your job). Multiple streams of income help with that, especially if they let you make money internationally.

Some happenings don't let you easily escape (civil war, widespread natural disaster, etc). Economic collapse does.
>>
>>73117763
2nd hand toilet paper is even cheaper
>>
>>73117475
but think about that for a second... if it's an economic collapse then fiat currency will be worthless. learning another language would be helpful as long as whatever language you learn is spoken in a region that is a viable option.

i'm still not 100% on board with precious medals because they have zero utilitarian value but i understand they will be the default currency. but if i'm on the move and have limited storage capabilities then i'm packing useful shit like guns/ammo, water, toilet paper, matches... shit like that. but hell we all have our own preferences and bartering will make a YUGE comeback so it all evens out. this is all hypothetical of course because i doubt it will happen in our lifetime
>>
>>73120171
See that first post of mine where I discussed having a reserve of different currency? Nobody fails all at once. Leave before the collapse is total and you can still convert a lot of your US dollars into local currency of where you end up.

Gold and silver are meme-tier options mostly peddled by people trying to separate preppers from their earnings. Have fun trying to trade a piece of gold for something you actually want to use, or getting anything close to what you paid for it in another land.
>>
>>73117763
>toilet paper

Over a billion people don't even use toilet paper. Ask any Indian.
>>
>>73120494
implying it won't be a worldwide financial meltdown
>>
>>73114521
Become employed in a field that can't disappear, even if the country goes under. EMS and and agriculture are safe.
>>
>>73120494
How are you going to convert a weak dollar into any local currency if it's already worthless? You're still going to get equal or lesser value for it in the exchange - and exchange rates are updated around the clock so it's not like you can beat the collapse.

>Have fun trying to trade a piece of gold for something you actually want to use, or getting anything close to what you paid for it in another land.

But you think fiat currency is a safer play? If there is an economic collapse then society as we know it today will basically shut down. The only type of viable economic activity will be the barter system. I'm not big on gold at all but I'd much rather trade something for a precious medal that has historically been used as currency over a worthless piece of paper that probably will never be in circulation ever again.
>>
>>73114521
Move to somalia.
>>
>>73123628
1. Use reading comprehension and reread my posts.

2. I'll outline it again for you: have cash that's in a different currency. Do your research to decide whether that's francs, rubles, yen, whatever. You can do more than one, and this is probably wise! This is your "the economy collapsed overnight, halp halp!" stash. THEN, you also have a stash of your own currency built up, in case it's a slow collapse. Look at Argentina, which has gone through (still undergoing) economic collapse--the money is still used even though things are more expensive, it didn't become worthless overnight. You should be leaving long before the money hits that point, based on a number of factors.
>>
Stock up on toilet paper and deodorant. It will be worth more than gold in the collapse.
>>
>>73120494
>Have fun trying to trade a piece of gold for something you actually want to use, or getting anything close to what you paid for it in another land.
why don't you look up a chart of oil denominated in gold
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.