[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Home ownership: Does /pol/ buy or rent?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 189
Thread images: 14
File: Home Ownership.jpg (1 MB, 1697x1001) Image search: [Google]
Home Ownership.jpg
1 MB, 1697x1001
It seems like renting is better than owning a home.
>Renting gives you more options (i.e. getting a cheaper/more expensive apartment)
>Moving is much easier
>Repairs, landscaping, and upkeep falls on the landlord
>Thanks to expenses like the property tax, you never stop paying for your house even after the mortgage is payed.
>>
>>73004095
In general, property prices go up, though. If you rent for 10 years, you're out all that money. If you own for 10 years, you have the value you paid off plus whatever the property appreciated for. You're right on those other points, though. It is easier to move and some of the upkeep is a pain in the ass.
>>
We bought our first house in Chicagoland in 1999 for $270K. In late 2007 we sold it for $410K. Same year we bought a house in Columbus OH for $379K. It's now worth $350K. We have 3 acres and the nearest neighbor is 1000ft away.

We owe $78K on it. Sooo... we've done OK. I particularly enjoy walking on the back deck in my underwear and a cup of coffee, cranking up the speakers whenever I want, and not ever having to deal with HOAs.

Our next house it going to be cash deal with money in escrow for property taxes.
>>
>>73004299
Is there any benefit to having your home's value increase if you don't intend to sell it though? Say you've raised your children in the same home for those ten years; you don't want to sell your home (which has risen in value). Are you just paying more in property taxes since your home's value increased?
>>
>>73004824

If you intend to die in it, you could always take out a reverse mortgage and cash out that way.
>>
Bought my house for $130k 2 years ago, it already appraises for $150k. Probably going to refinance soon and get some cash out to do some more renovations.
>>
>>73004718
Go home grandpa
>>
>>73005373

Dude, I'm 43. Are GenXers no longer allowed on the /pol millennial hugbox ?
>>
>>73004095
Do you rent your car? Do you rent your food? Explain to me why renting isn't retarded nigger tier logic?
>>
>>73004824
If you're never going to sell it and you have children, they would then receive that property as inheritance; the more the better.

I'm not sure how it is in the rest of the country, but in Colorado, my property tax is based on the structure. My home value has gone up about $100k since I bought it but the property tax has stayed about the same and I think that's only about $1,700 a year.
>>
File: 1462208555891.jpg (951 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1462208555891.jpg
951 KB, 1920x1080
>>73004095

there is a reason why your landlord owns the land and is renting its to you.

it's better for him than it is for you. learn to pay yourself first. renting is more convenient than home ownership, but by no means preferable.
>>
>>73004095
People can hardly make better investment than buying houses at right places.
>>
Rent because I will kill myself in 3 years
>>
>>73005669
I thought it was primarily GenXers here...

t. 1972 GenXer
>>
>>73005669

The fuck? You didn't even grow up with this site. Fuck off.
>>
At least with owning you have the opportunity to get your money back and more.

With renting, it's gone.
>>
>>73004299
>If you own for 10 years, you have the value you paid off plus whatever the property appreciated for

Minus the interest payments, minus the costs of repair, minus the property taxes. Also reminder that when you take out a mortgage, your first few years of payments are mostly interest meaning you won't actually make an impactful dent in the principal for several years.
>>
>>73004095

Having a mortgage does not = owning
>>
Also: always rent if you need to live in apartment building. You never know if some nigger family or drug addict will move to neighbor. Buying house is the best option if you're 100% sure it's good area but it's not so easy to get rid of it if you get unwanted neighbors.
>>
>>73006235
GTFO of here with your logic.Rent Bro.
>>
What if I go against /pol/ and don't have children. Is a house still a better option?
>>
>>73006374
Why would you want to live alone in a big house?
>>
>>73006356
Thank you poor person. White ppl live where niggers can't afford to live,dipshit.
>>
>>73006511
Obviously, it would be a small house.
>>
>>73006261
That's true. The interest is the worst part. I financed for 15 years so not as bad.
>>
File: image.gif (4 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
4 MB, 500x281
>>73004095
Either way you don't even own the shit. But buying is better than dealing with some type of landlord.
>>
>>73006261
You can write the interest off your taxes though, and rates are so low it's kind of a wash at this point.
>>
>>73006374
>Is a house still a better option?
Well I would probably have 2-3 so that I can live off with investment income after I retire. Pension is insufficient nowaday. But if I would buy houses for such a purpose, I would have condos and apartments, not single family house or townhouse.
>>
>>73006374
Buy an apartment
>>
>>73004095
>>Thanks to expenses like the property tax, you never stop paying for your house even after the mortgage is payed.

i don't see how that can be counted as a pro for renting. you never stop paying rent either and it's a lot more expensive per year than some taxes.
>>
>>73005960

CObro here. I bought a 2 bed 2 bath condo in late 2014. It's already appreciated by 40k and I rent out the spare room which covers my mortgage. Best decision I've ever made.
>>
The average price of a house where I live is currently £510,000 ($740,000), and are rising 10% per year.

How can a millenial literally ever get on the housing market in these circumstances?

My parents are mortgage free though so I'll inherit their property, and the family also owns a cottage with land in Ireland, and girlfriend's family owns two houses in Lithuania and lots of farmland.

I might just fuck off to E.Europe and live innawoods eventually.
>>
>rent in a brand new apartment
>massive balcony for entertaining
>cool in summer
>cozy in winter
>great kitchen
>perfect little set up to shitpost from
>>
>>73007053
High five!
>>
$1800 month rent

2BR 2BA
>>
>>73005152
Thats the dumbest thing you could possibly do. Reverse mortgages are engineered to steal payed off homes from the elderly
>>
>>73007147
>The average price of a house where I live is currently £510,000 ($740,000),
Sounds as expensive as Los Angeles. Do you live in some suburb of London or something?
>>
>>73007147
The fuck area are you in where the average house is 500k+? I agree that property prices are disgustingly high for millenials but fuck, you must be in a posh as fuck area.
>>
>>73007394
>landlord dies
>son inherits and sells building
>suddenly looking for a place to live with a few weeks notice
>>
>>73007147
Don't worry that bubble will burst
>>
File: 152309554772.jpg (32 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
152309554772.jpg
32 KB, 640x360
>24
>So is the squeeze
>We want to travel when I get certified as a journeyman sparky
>Found out in december that my dad's friend who passed away left me $250,000
>Weighing my options like a mother fucker
>Climate change is decimating the boreal forest, creating more feedback to create warmer temperatures and have a cycle that wrecks the north
>Fort Mac is fucking gone
>Great barrier reef is bleaching like crazy
>Fish are dropping dead on the coast of pacific south america
>Trying to figure out if I should buy a house before I go and rent it out while I'm gone, having renters pay mortgage and property tax essentially, or just take it all and travel perpetually

Do you guys think we really have a future to look forward to, or should I just yolo my shit up?
>>
Buying/remodeling/flipping houses is the best business decision I've ever made.

Renters are cucks.
>>
>>73007659

I live in Cambridge.

Its nice - I moved here originally due to a job promotion but want out. They are trying to post me to London but I wanna go back north, fuck this shit.

My rent and council tax is £990 per month.
>>
>>73004095
>tying yourself to a piece of land like a serf
yeah, no thanks.
>>
>>73007147
>How can a millenial literally ever get on the housing market in these circumstances?
Keep following this logic into the future.
Answer is its not sustainable. The prices wont keep rising unless people can afford to buy at that price.
Unless wages go up, homes wont be sold for more then now. If wages do go up, then fine.
It's a balance. Also, read up on debt cycles. Lots of cheap money right now makes a mortgage a great idea, but for how long?
>>
Median home price where I work is $1.2 million
>>
>>73004095
Rent because all the fucking faggots that just moved to Denver fucked the housing market. Fuck off whence you came, cocksuckers.
>>
>>73004095
Own. 2 years in to paying it off early. 2 years to go. Ownership is the way to go if you aren't a financial retard.
>>
>>73008062
Well there is the example of Hongcouver where immigrants are raising the price of houses but locals cannot afford to buy houses.
>>
File: picual_.jpg (353 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
picual_.jpg
353 KB, 1600x1067
>>73008034
There's nothing more satisfying than working your land and enjoying the fruits of it.
>>
>>73004095
Only cucks rent.
>>
>>73007683
>australia
>not living in a slum where that shit happens
>>
>>73004095
The only logical course of action assuming you have no ties, no capital to use initially, etc, basically every neetfag ever, is to join the military and get into some easy job for one to two terms.

From there you go back to live with your parents and invest the money you made from your terms in order to generate consistent income with not much more effort on your part. At the same time you go to college taking advantage of the GI bill as a back up plan incase your investment either just doesn't work out, or you lose your nerve and decide against it.

As far as I can tell this is the among the most logical and possible options.
>>
>>73004095
My employer provides housing...so rent, I guess?
>>
Buying a home is the single worse move you can make for your career. Good luck being stuck with your shitty job because of no mobility. Also, most people have no need for huge houses. 300 square feet is all you really need to live comfortably by yourself, 450 with a partner, and maybe 600 with a family.
>>
>>73008363
Do you say that to military persons irl or just safely behind ur computer.
Also not realizing there are tons of high paying jobs that require constant relocation so it would not make financial sense to buy and sell a house every year.
Try to expand your knowledge beyond memes
>>
>>73008062

It isn't just people buying houses - it is companies building property portfolios and foreign fucktard investors who then rent them out for extortionate amounts.

In Cambridge there ARE shitloads of new crappy houses being put up, but literally half of them are sold to Chinese investors before they are even built.

Then the government tries everything it can to keep the prices inflating upwards - they are offering equity loans because people literally can't even afford to save a fucking deposit.

I used to rent from a boomer in Cambridge in the last place I lived - she told me she bought her 4 bedroom house for £400 in 1960s, now it is worth £450,000 and it wasn't even a nice house.
>>
>>73004095
Sometimes you can rent and save money then actually buy a home cash cheaper then it would have been to mortgage the home. Right now home prices are overvalued. Hoping Drumph or Best Korea JUSTS the global economy and housing prices correct before I buy.
>>
You buy a home then buy another house in the city and renovate it and turn it into a apartment and get rent. Do this multiple times and you have a really kickass easy as fuck income.
>>
>>73004095
Rent is the same as shitting your money down the toilet.
>>
>>73008271
I welcome it. I feel we are close to peak price in those markets, only possible rise left is them bidding over each other.
Let them feel the bern when it pops and they want to sell. I look forward to buying foreclosed homes cheap from the banks after rates go up.
My rent is less then my income, and slightly less then a mortgage. Thus I put money in the bank/investments. I pay rent, and I grow richer.
If I had bought a house in the past year, I would have blown my savings on closing costs and other one time buying expenses.
If (WHEN) rates go up, my monthly cost would rise and I may not be able to afford the payments, and lose the home.
I'm comfy.
I'm gonna be rich in the long run.
>>
>>73008768
>300 square feet is all you really need to live comfortably by yourself
>>
File: 1461489594290.gif (3 MB, 359x202) Image search: [Google]
1461489594290.gif
3 MB, 359x202
Isn't property tax just a federal tax on you pseudo 'renting the land ' after you own the home, or can you bypass property tax with landownership too?
>>
>>73008885

See
>>>73008782
>>
>>73006261
Just like with any other loan, if you pay more than the minimum you do yourself a huge favor down the road. I'm paying $200 less per month on housing and utilities then I did renting. I now have way more space and privacy.

Renting is for lazy millennials who are too retarded to do their own work. Got a house six months ago, already increased the value 40k with only a little over 10k in materials costs.
>>
>>73004824
Here's how real advantage... You will be locked into your mortgage for however many years. Fluctuations in the interest rate will increase of decrease your payments, but in general the mortgage will stay the same or even shrink.

Rent will always increase.

You will one day pay your mortgage off and your only fixed expense would be property tax.

You will always pay rent until the day that you die.
>>
>>73008818
if you're able to do that you should have never been renting in the first place unless you're living downtown in a city like san francisco or new york

it would take over 17 years to save for a POS $80,000 home putting away $100 every week
>>
>>73009068
>close to peak price
I agree. My neighborhood in Los Angeles suburb is filled with those Chinese investors but since a year ago house prices start to drop as new investors are decreasing in # because of bad economy of China recently. Canada would have the same situation soon.
>>
>>73008841
Or you can just invest in index funds for more money and less effort and risk.
>>
File: 1461363705144.gif (2 MB, 219x186) Image search: [Google]
1461363705144.gif
2 MB, 219x186
>>73009201

>>73008768

>
>>
>>73007147
>How can a millenial literally ever get on the housing market in these circumstances?
Don't live in that area dumbass.
Get a small cheap house in a rural area.
>>
>>73004095
I bought a home but I planned to live there 10 years or more. If you are only planning to stay in a place 2-3 years, its better to rent.

Home ownership is pretty expensive.
>>
>>73008139
>Median home price where I work is $1.2 million
>that flag
there are very few places like that there. Are you an expat there btwn?
>>
>>73008034
>serf
>owning land
Pay your rent like a good apartmentcuck.
>>
>>73009582

Why would you just be putting away $100 dollars, the cost of property taxes school taxes home owners association fees interest repairs insurance is way more.

Kevin O'Leary Don't buy a house in 2016 REAL ESTATE ADVICE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq-JOFViE9M
>>
>>73009646
or you could do both.
>>
>>73009813
I work in Georgetown Washington, D.C.
>>
>>73008768
This guy gets it. Avoid saving any money, once Bernie is elected no one will have to worry about retiring or passing anything down to your wife's son.
>>
>>73008403
Really? You can force your landlord against his will to renew the lease? Wow!
>>
>>73005669
>43
Fuck off.
>>
>>73010064
Or you can just invest in index funds to get better returns with lower effort.
>>
>>73009996
that's what i'm saying

if you can afford to save over $400/month and put it in a separate non-life-savings fund you probably have enough money that you don't have to waste it renting
>>
I rent an apartment near Villanova in PA with 2 roommates. Im 24. I doubt i will ever be able to buy a house. Boomers and Xers laugh and laugh at millennials over muh loans but holy fuck are the chickens going to come home to roost when an entire generation isnt going to be able to buy houses or cars. Then itll get real fucking real. But until then its more "go to college if you dont want to flip burgers" "study stem if you want to get a job to eventually hand to an H1B hire" and "what, 7.50/hr too LOW for you? Just flip burgers. When i was your age i had seven houses and two PHDs from my summer job at mcdonalds. Kids are so lazy"
>>
>>73010118
>he thinks paying off a house is "saving"
>>
What do you guys think of Townhomes? I've always wanted to live in a nice cozy townhome desu
>>
>>73008841
Renting homes out is actually not that simple.
You have to actually find someone that won't trash your house, and take care of a bunch of stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BL7VLO6yw4
If you have someone responsible that you know will take care of it that's great.
But if you take a chance, you're taking a real chance.
>>
File: giphy.gif (2 MB, 500x235) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
2 MB, 500x235
>>73010245
>>
>>73010429
Compared to renting, absolutely.

If you can own for the same monthly cost as renting why the fuck would you rent? I can't imagine being in my 30s and still having wall neighbors, I'd just off myself.
>>
>>73010365
I love the "when I was your age"
Yeah when you were my age the world was growing rapidly, jobs, wages, building everything, great advances in technology!
Now we have a new iPhone every year and stagnant wages, entry level jobs requiring so much school just to have a chance at landing the position, AFTER taking on the debt to pay for that schooling.
It's a new world.
>>
File: Vandwelling.jpg (1 MB, 3000x2250) Image search: [Google]
Vandwelling.jpg
1 MB, 3000x2250
>not boycotting the rent and housing market by living a more traditionalist life
>>
>>73004718
I'm in my early 20's and work in mortgages and this boring ass shit is interesting to me...send help
>>
>>73010122
It's a magical land with raining spiders
>>
>>73010300

Listen to the super Jew for your own good its that simple. You are severely underestimating the monthly cost of owning vs renting and how much of a shitty time it is to buy a home.
>>
>>73010962
Ray gun was president
>>
>>73010429
When you can take out an equity loan on your home for immediate cash, yeah, I'd say it's beneficial
>>
>>73010962

The entry level jobs requiring 10 uears experience are not for real, its so that company can say "well we interviewed all these americans but none of them were qualified for data entry" and hire H1B. Its a very common practice. That way they dont have to pay them shit and can play slave driver over them with the threat of deportation. SiriusXM does this in IT.
>>
>>73011125
i don't think so considering i've owned for almost a decade

repairs are not as expensive as you think so long as you have good
insurance
>>
>>73010365
I don't get this. I'm lower middle class, 26, and ALL of my friends own cars and only one doesn't have a house yet.

Stop squandering your money on stupid shit and fucking work. 2 of my friends didn't even go to fucking college, there's great money to be made if you aren't a lazy entitled shit.
>>
Saving up and planning to buy a home in the future.
>>
>>73010947
>>73011274

But you aren't paying the same monthly cost. A 30 year mortgage will have considerably higher monthly payments than simply renting a similar property. You are also going to have to pay property taxes, repair costs, and homeowner's association fees. Don't forget about realators taking their 6% cut.

Oh, a new office for your company opened up across the country, and they need someone to move there to manage it? Oh, you have a house here and can't move? That's too bad. I guess John will get the promotion then.

Don't forget about the loss of your down payment. An average 20% down payment on a 500k property will be 100k, which you could have invested into the bond market for consistent 5% yearly gains, or stocks for an average of 7% if you are feeling riskier.
>>
>>73006261
Europe will never be great again if you can't grow the nads necessary to own your own property. Fucking man children.
>>
I rent. $300 smack a Roos a month I pay a year what some cucks pay a month
>>
>>73011418
You took one cost I mentioned what about the rest, what about everything man.
>>
>>73011740
>I rent. $300 smack
Where do you live? A studio apartment in Detroit?
>>
>>73011455

>if you arent a lazy entitled shit

Fuck you. I worked retail and then assembly in a machine shop. You must live in a real sweet spot where the wages are high and cost of living low. Its not the case for anywhere else in America. Point me in the direction of this goldmine of yours and id be happy for the chance to bust my ass, but right now, im not getting any calls back.
>>
>>73011556
Then rent until you die and leave your children with nothing. No one gives a fucking shit about your babby tier """logic"""
>>
>>73010999
>where do I park when I sleep
>>
>>73007659
Los Angeles in the US the average house in a dump area, 2bed 1/1.5 bath,with a yard the size of a honda civic is 550k+. That's living next to ghetto mexicans or trash niggers. It's not a wealthy area, just the houses are outrageously, exorbitantly high priced.
The nice areas with quiet, clean streets, white neighbors, 750k+ without breaking a sweat.

It's like that want to fuck millennials into not buying houses.
>>
>>73004824
If the property is paid off your taxes are a fraction of what rent is. You're now living for the cheap while the renter keeps paying more and more each year forever.

After it is paid off, if you turn it into a rental and find a nice white family you're turning hundreds of dollars a month in extra income.

If you keep it yourself, your family now has a legacy. Your children are now hundreds of thousands of dollars ahead.

This is what liberals hate. They hate the idea of generational wealth because their own parents were as worthless and lazy as they were and left their children absolutely nothing.

Ownership only makes sense if you plan to keep it or make money off of it. Otherwise you exist to make someone else money. It's just that simple.
>>
>>73010999

>living in a utility van
>traditional
>>
>>73010567
They're cozy, but pretty shit if you have more than one kid.
>>
>>73012015
Nice logic. I'll leave my children with a $2 million brokerage account instead of a shitty run down house.
>>
>>73011556
Yes, I am owning for 200-300 less than a comparable rental in my area including property taxes and utilities. It wasn't even that hard, I just didn't buy the first house I walked into and saved enough money to avoid PMI.

The seller pays the realtor, not the purchaser. Getting your own reality liscense takes 2 months and a couple hundred bucks, so if I want to move I'll just sell the damn thing off myself.

I now have more money to invest elsewhere instead of burning it on rent. Why are you assuming everyone is buying houses well beyond their means?
>>
>>73011991
the only one unique to home ownership was the homeowners association fees which a lot of people don't even have

you're kidding yourself if you think you're not paying your landlord's taxes, repair budget, insurance on the property

they don't do this as a charity
>>
>>73012118
Who are you quoting?
You park anywhere as long as the owner is cool with you or doesn't know you're there.

>>73012245
>Living in a glorified tent on wheels
>Not traditional
>>
>>73012331
Post your area and the price and size of your home, or you're just spouting bullshit.
>>
>>73012145
>Los Angeles
>City is shit
>living in suburb means you have to spend 3+ hrs a day to commute.
It's better than SF but the city needs to have some massive changes
>>
>>73012329

This guy knows what hes talking about.
>>
>>73004095
>make 90K a year
>need to live in downtown toronto
>pay 1450 a month for a 1.2 million dollar condo.
>"you should buy"

Kek no. I plan to keep renting this property and buy some cheap land up north, but fuck owning in this market. Renting is fucking great in urban centres.
>>
>>73004095
I can only afford about 250k and that will only get me a small unit in based straya. Its cheaper to share a 3x1 or 4x2 with room mates. You divvy up the rents and bills and its cheap as chips.

Then you can horde your jew gold and put it towards other investments with a higher PA % increase then a house.
>>
>>73004095

I own outright and rent them to other people. I either live in one while remodeling or rent something for myself in between. Basically, I make a 12% a year after expenses and have free rent/mortgage if I want something else. I'll just keep buying up places as time goes on and then use them for retirement, either by selling them off or continuing to rent them out.
>>
>>73012002
Bucks county, I'm just north of you.

Finding a decent 40k + a year job in this area is easy and housing is cheap if you doing insist on living in Philly. My friend who doesn't own makes 75k a year and blows it all on stupid shit instead of saving.
>>
>>73004095

I own a home that's valued at $180k, I pay just under $1100/month for it.

Friend has a nice 1 bedroom loft apartment not far from me, pays $1200 for it.

I get a full freakin' 3 bedroom house, can be as loud as I'd like (with reasonable bounds), can smoke weed like a chimney without worrying about neighbors calling the cops, have a yard to relax in, and build equity.

My friend, he has no maintenance concerns and a pool he never uses, and that's about it.

All depends on your priorities. If you don't mind doing a bit of work from time to time, buying is the way to go if you stay reasonable for price (I can afford a home worth twice my current one, but I prefer tucking a few grand extra in the bank every month to having a McMansion I can't make full use of). Renting is fine if you're perpetually busy and work long hours or are just too fucking lazy to do routine maintenance, but when you leave, you'll probably get fucked on your security deposit and you have zero equity once you go.

My motto has been to lease cars and buy homes, and it has worked well so far.
>>
>>73012428

I guess you did not see interest cost and a few other.
>>
>>73012493
Deported all minorities and their 10 kids.
>>
no one over the age of 30 should rent
>>
>>73004095
>renting gives you more options
at no potential for things like ownership, equity or financial basis.

You'd be better at owning your own condo or apartment.
>>
>>73012428
I make more than a property manager so why should I undertake a part time property manager job by being forced to manage my property?
>>
>>73006209
>The fuck? You didn't even grow up with this site. Fuck off.
Nope, but this site grew up with us genXers.
>>
>>73012717
get this in your head: whatever the owner of the property has to pay, he is passing the cost onto the renter in order to make a profit. you are paying EVERY SINGLE FEE the owner is paying in addition to whatever profit he feels he can make off you.

so to sum up in simple to understand lines

renter cost = owner cost + landlord profits

owner cost = owner cost
>>
>>73004095
Home ownership is better. It's an investment. Just don't be an idiot and cash out equity early on.
>>
>>73013054
owner cost = owner cost + owner time
Do you also grow your own food because you think it's better than paying a farmer to grow it?
>>
>>73008782
I met a guy that put twenty years of service in the Canadian Forces and left a multimillionaire because he bought a home in every city he was posted.

You can go ahead and keep on renting if you want, but you actually have an opportunity to make a lot of money here, bro.
>>
>>73006121
My flat is destroyed.
>not getting my deposit back anyways
>better off myself
>>
>>73013207
i'm not disputing that but that was a response to someone talking about monetary costs specifically
>>
>>73012730
nobody should rent period.
>>
>>73012701

Point me to where, im genuinely interested. Until this point the best I could do has been retail and a really dangerous assembly shop job in the Hatboro area.

I made the mistake of studying traditional lib arts like history and poli sci. Tried to correct it by leveraging my assembly exp into a trades apprenticeship but evidently thats not possible. So im stuck making 23k/yr and going to the hospital for stitches and silicon respiratory infections from this fucking job.
>>
>>73010365
>when an entire generation isnt going to be able to buy houses

then the price for houses will go down if no one is buying them, until there is an equilibrium in supply and demand
>>
>>73009218
Bypassing taxes. Yeah goodluck with that
>>
>>73013054
Well, in my case, I'm a young professional and I pay a small amount per month to live in a nice house with someone who owns the house.

He's gone most of the time anyway, so it's almost like renting a huge 2-story house for $600 a month.

A 30-year mortgage on something made of sticks is at least $800 a month around here.
>>
>>73013054
Dude I just cant take you seriously anymore. Please that equation is retarded. My parents rent out 5 homes they are not charging what it would cost them if they were mortgaging the home to the renter. Those homes would be vacant.
>>
>>73013525
What.
>>
>>73013451
>>when an entire generation isnt going to be able to buy housesthen the price for houses will go down if no one is buying them

>what are foreign investors
It will take times to actually remove any influence of them
>>
>>73013499
your parents are dumb lol
>>
Op just loves being a cuck to jews doesn't he. Next thing you're going to say is that we only get to lease our property from the government for 50 year increments.
>>
>>73009329
Also, no one actually cares if you are in the military. The biggest cuck I know was in the Navy and some of the dumbest faggots I have ever had the pleasure of meeting were from all branches.
>>
>>73012160
>Liberals are also the fifth or sixth child in a wealthy family who knows they'll barely get shit.
>>
It depends on if you want to move around or not. If you want to settle down in one spot buying is the way to go. When you rent, the money you pay is paying off the guys mortgage and putting extra money in his pocket. Renting is good if you want to move around, like move cities every few years. Renting is also good because you don't need a down payment, and the expenses is set because you don't have to pay for random things like needing a new roof.
>>
>>73006121
>I will kill myself in 3 years
perfect reason to take out a massive loan
>>
>>73011556
If you need a 30 year mortgage you can't afford it. Rent and save up money then buy something cheaper which you can pay off in 5-10 years. Once your house is payed off, life gets a lot easier.
>>
Feels good just knowing I can up and love any time I please as to where you mortgage cucks are tied down to your cuck sheds for life
>>
>>73013301
>>I met a guy

Unbelievable and unprovable anecdotal evidence used to support a rediculous claim

Either your the idiot for believing this "guy" or I would have to be the idiot for believing you
>>
>>73004095
Owning a home is an investment. If you rent, that money is just going to waste, you get nothing back for it. But if you have a home, and you can afford the payments, when you sell your house, you get back the amount you've paid off plus any equity that has accrued. Renting is a good idea for people who don't have a regular or sufficient income to own a house.
>>
>>73013984
The owl croaks on Sunday.
>>
>>73004095
currently i rent. ive owned 2 places before already and its a pain in the ass. i might own again once the housing bubble busts again. houses are nice and cheap around then.
>>
>>73013915
>buy something cheaper
Or you can just rent something cheaper. The logic applies both ways buddy.
>>
>>73012331
Area is eastern Bucks CO.
House is a little over 1300 sq. Feet. Got it under market for 160k. Still over priced for a house that size but not for the area. Needed cosmetic upgrades, but I'm good with my hands so that want a problem. Bones were excellent, previous owners treated the house very nicely.

A comparable rental would start around 1200 a month if you knew the landlord. I was paying 1225 for a 900 ft apartment before this and the money made no sense at that point. I'm paying 1050 for everything now. Fixed rate mortgage, it was a good time to buy.

And this house wasn't a fluke either, found plenty of good properties around me between 170-195k, all of which would have been less than renting.

Bonus points, I can now own guns.
>>
>>73013694
I'm not military. I'm just not so financially obtuse
>>
>>73012471
See
>>73014207

I suck at phone posting.
>>
>>73014093
There are better things to invest in than homes, especially with this overinflated market. Investing in a home is absolutely retarded. Enjoy your loan being underwater when the market crashes.
>>
>>73013915
Not necessarily. My mortgage is a 30 year mortgage which gives me the freedom to save up more cash / make occasional lump sums. Dropped an extra $12k at the anniversary date this year.

Might not work for people with a steady income though, I run a small business so I can make $5k one month and 15k the next. Having budget elasticity helps a lot.
>>
>>73012145
How about leaving commiefornia?
>>
>>73009218
I'm pretty sure most of your property tax goes to your town
>>
That is a very lovely home. Looks like a great family. There was a time when this was your average sight in America. Now it is a rarity.

Send the asteroid, God. We fucked up again.
>>
>>73014782
If there was an opportunity to leave this fucking heap, I would.
>>
File: 5a7.png (551 KB, 680x411) Image search: [Google]
5a7.png
551 KB, 680x411
>>73007871
Anybody feeling like giving a little ol' leaf some opinion on his situation?
>>
>>73014716
If you're renting it's just like paying on a loan except you don't get anything out of it. Unless of course you're renting a dirt cheap apartment.
>>
>>73013433
Did you work at the Tinius Olsen place?

And I work in environmental remediation as an engineer. But i have friends making good money apprenticing as floorers, plumbers, and tree removal. Trades are really good to you if you are reliable and work well.

Like you, the guy in flooring majored in poli-sci.
>>
>>73015170
No, you're paying the interest costs on the loan, repair costs, and property management fees. You are not going to find anything where a monthly payment on a 30 year mortgage is the same as rent. You can price difference between renting and a mortgage to invest into much more lucrative areas.
>>
>>73014716
>I'm unable to comprehend simple messages
the post
>>
>>73006261
Every single cost item you mentioned, you get to pay for it when you pay rent. Do you think that your landlord will not include an increase in property taxes in the new lease contract? Or do you think he will not project out the average cost of repairs per year and include that in the lease?
>>
>>73004299
The problem with most renters is that they can't make that first deposit sending them on their way to home ownership because they literally live pay check to pay check.
>>
>>73015133
250k will disappear surprisingly quickly, it ain't quite "yolo" money unless you plan on living out of a tent during your travels. Should probably just get a house and go on a month long vacation somewhere awesome.
>>
>>73015492
Do you think your local farmer doesn't factor in an increase in tractor prices when he sells his food? Does that mean that you should just buy a tractor and farm your food yourself? Owning a home means being a part time property manager/landlord. I don't understand why anyone would want to waste their time on doing such pointless bullshit when you lack the efficiency of scale when you are just doing it for your own home.
>>
File: L7cM-VMh.png (262 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
L7cM-VMh.png
262 KB, 380x380
>>73015550
You dropped this.
>>
>>73008768
Fuck you I have four cars and a trailer I need parking for.
>>
>>73016702
Ahh, Western consumerism. Enjoy being a slave to your lifestyle your entire life.
>>
>>73005960
Flobro here. Property taxes for state residents is actually really cheap. We punish vacation homeowners.

>>73004095
Owning a home means not just pissing away money into someone else's pocket. That money paid in mortgage stays in the home. If you are looking for some of your other points buy a condo,townhouse, or apt. Grounds, outside maintenance, homo-insurance, and often times water sewage and trash are all covered by a fee or association due.
>>
>>73016890
All my vehicles and trailer are paid off.
And I need a garage to work on shit.
Have to take the rear end out of my car this week and get it ready fro drag racing.

Again, fuck you poorfag.
>>
it's only worthwhile to get a home if you intend to raise a family.

that knocks 80% of millennial couples out. kek.
>>
>>73004095
I bought 2 houses. I live in one, and I rent out the other. The rent money pais for both my homes' mortage, so I'd advice everyone that has a chance to do the same. I'm currently bidding on a 3rd house which I'll rent out too, and I'll probably continue doing this forever. It's a great way to save up money until you retire. The houses rise in value each year, and people who want to rent near cities bid over eachother until you get ridiculus amounts of money in the end. Renting grants you fuck all. You never own anything and you throw money out the window making others rich.
>>
File: 1461198306926.jpg (131 KB, 600x2168) Image search: [Google]
1461198306926.jpg
131 KB, 600x2168
>>73015905
Ummm I can't tell if strawman or some other logical fuck up.

Owning a home vs. Renting one is nothing in any way like buying produce. I can't rent produce. The debate is buy vs rent. Your argument flabbergasts me.
>>
>>73006562
This
>>
>>73018476
Ignore the typos. My fingers are huge and not ideal for korean phones.
>>
>>73007683
Invalid. Most states have renter protection clauses. The landlord could go into foreclosure and the bank couldn't kick you out. L2contracts Friend.
>>
>>73018605
When you rent you are buying the service of property management, just like when you buy food from the grocery store you are buying the service of something farming it for you.
>>
>>73015905
Is this bait? No one can be this retarded.

The only reasons to rent:
>you are not capable of saving a down payment
>you are living in the area for a short period of time
>you are, in fact, a nigger and make niggerish financial decesions.
>>
>>73019427

t. increasingly nervous man paying a 30 year mortgage and hoping the housing market will still be good when he tries to flip his to make more than a fifth of what he put into the property
>>
>>73019427
The only reason to own a home is if you have nothing better to do in your free time than be a part time property manager. Renting means that you are paying the cost of interest and property management for someone else, so you have more free time and capital to invest into better areas.
Thread replies: 189
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.