[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is tipping such a mandatory thing to do here in America?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 10
File: tipping.jpg (49 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
tipping.jpg
49 KB, 640x360
Why is tipping such a mandatory thing to do here in America?
>>
Idk ask the person who tips you every time you make a slide thread Shlomo.
>>
>implying you don't survive on hot pockets your mom buys you
>>
>>72978416

Because Capitalism and personal responsibility.
>>
File: ARE-YOU-FUCKING-HUTTING-ME.png (10 KB, 211x182) Image search: [Google]
ARE-YOU-FUCKING-HUTTING-ME.png
10 KB, 211x182
Because America is not like Syria, Ahmed.

If you don't like giving people tips for good service and sending them positive signs when they put in effort, you have to go back.
>>
File: 1447388776107.jpg (53 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1447388776107.jpg
53 KB, 500x375
>>72978416
It's not mandatory.
Just pay and leave.

/thread
>>
>>72978416
>Why is tipping such a mandatory thing to do here in America?

It's not. If you don't tip then you are seen as an asshole. That's it
There is a reason there are only three people I am actually nice to(the person who prepares my food at the restaurant, the mailman, my bus driver.)
>>
>>72978416
Waiters will try much harder to be nice to you and quick in order to get a good tip
>>
>>72980003
Read that as "whites"
>>
File: 1410194449879.png (10 KB, 427x474) Image search: [Google]
1410194449879.png
10 KB, 427x474
>>72978416
Why are you still here if you don't like it?
Or, perhaps you're actually a europoor/Aussie/leaf with a proxy, here to slide a certain thread?
>>
>>72978416

lmao

ameritips are fucking retarded
>>
>>72978416
Because the restaurant owners are cheap fucks and they don't even pay their waiters minimum wage. They're supposed to make up the rest through tips.
>>
>>72978416
It's always nice to tip well if it's somewhere you'll be going to often. A bar I frequent rarely charges me for drinks now, instead I just leave hefty $20 tips for what would have cost me over $40.
>>
>>72978416
It isn't mandatory.
/thread
>>
It's corporate welfare for small businesses. We subsidize the wages. They only want to pay the staff $3.38 / hour (which would normally be against the law) because they expect them to get 15-20% tips. And because of this they lobbied the tax code to allow them to get away with this, and the IRS also expects them to make this much when reporting their income. It's a fucked up system.

I prefer Switzerland's system: it's built into the bill and you don't have to do anything but pay. I've never had anything but great service there, and I frequently left an additional 10% if deserved. Sure, the food is more expensive than in the states, but their restaurant staff aren't on Food Stamps either.
>>
"mandatory" as it is mandatory to read thesaurus'
>>
>>72978828
>eat and tip at restaurants
>ride the bus

pick one.
>>
File: 300.jpg (33 KB, 297x365) Image search: [Google]
300.jpg
33 KB, 297x365
>>72978416
It literally isn't. Employers are federally required to pay servers minimum wage if they don't get it from tips.

pic related every time this secret is revealed
>>
File: tyler.jpg (11 KB, 196x257) Image search: [Google]
tyler.jpg
11 KB, 196x257
>>72978828
this anon gets it
dont fuck with your service people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWVxI6XZAuE
>>
>>72980320
>Because the restaurant owners are cheap fucks and they don't even pay their waiters minimum wage. They're supposed to make up the rest through tips.

Companies are legally required to pay waiters minimum wage if the money they take home doesn't equal out to what they'd on minimum wage
>>
>>72980730
fuck that. that's blackmail essentially and you useless leeches can get a real fucking job. eat shit and enjoy the lawsuit if you fuck with my food.
>>
>>72980852
owned, pwned, and laid the fuck out
>>
because Obama ruined the economy and everyone knows that the working class hates life and might put a curse on you if you don't tip. Also, it's so you appear rich and classy. You don't want to seem cheap. That's why.

It's awful.
>>
>>72978416
Because tipping is how civilized people distinguish themselves from chimps and Jews.

No one is forcing you not to tip.

Then again no one is forcing you not to have a dozen obese baby mamas and ride on dubs or have your babies foreskin bitten off.
>>
>>72980595

Except service jobs like waiters, bellhops, etc are paid "an equivalent of minimum wage" based on the tips they get. It isnt uncommon for high tip jobs (valets) to be paid 2-4 cents an hour from the employer.

Honestly, if you arent going to tip, just stay the fuck home. Dont be "that" guy. No one likes that guy. If an extra 10 dollars is that big a deal to you, then you really cant afford to go out anyway
>>
File: Harriet-Tubman-248x300.jpg (23 KB, 248x300) Image search: [Google]
Harriet-Tubman-248x300.jpg
23 KB, 248x300
>>72981023
if you are the kind of asshole you sound like, they are fucking with your food and you will never ever know about it

not saying it is right, and i suppose one could look at it as blackmail - or the service people could be the ones looking at you withholding tips as blackmail

BETTER BE QUICK WITH THAT APPETIZER HONEY YOAR TIP DEPENDS ON IT

... is what my now dead stepdad, and an asshole, both sound like, hope its not you too

so you can continue on in life knowing you are 100% correct and get fucked with constantly - or you can be a pragmatist and render unto Caesar what is Caesar's

dont make no diff to me, i always get top tier service because those under my employ know they will be taken care of - one hand washes the other

desu if you are sweating bullets over a couple harriet tubmans your broke ass should prob eat in
>>
File: krs.jpg (75 KB, 504x340) Image search: [Google]
krs.jpg
75 KB, 504x340
>>72980730
>mfw go to a restaurant
>server is a piece of shit, making no conversation and spilled at least 3 drinks near our table
>end of the night comes, her personality completely changes
>leave her like 10 dollars on a 130$ meal, she is clearly upset
>ask to see manager. tell him I'd like to speak to the chef directly because the food was great
>mfw I tipped the chef 65$
>mfw the server was standing right behind us
>mfw I see her face on the way out
>>
>>72981546
>It isnt uncommon for high tip jobs (valets) to be paid 2-4 cents an hour from the employer.

Except for the fact that if you don't make what you would make on a minimum wage salary through tips, they are legally required to pay you the equivalent of what you'd make on minimum

Stop being so dishonest, jesus christ
>>
>>72981631

>yfw most restaurants split tips among all staff
>>
>>72978416
>Beeing against throwing change at the working class
>being this Jewish
>>
>>72981301
fucking lol
>>
File: suhprahzed.png (184 KB, 482x345) Image search: [Google]
suhprahzed.png
184 KB, 482x345
>>72981631
a fucking leaf
along with some shit that never happened
to be honest ... im suhprahzed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0vnHp48y8A
>>
>>72980852

How does this mean the restaurant managers aren't cheap fucks? Instead of paying a worker minimum wage, they're having the customer directly subsidize their workers' wages. Youre basically getting an employee who is legally "worth" (lol) minimum wage, but you only have to pick up their full hourly pay every now and then.
>>
>>72981631
That's the way to do it
>>
I went to a restaurant in a large american city this past summer. i was alone, on business, and ate a pizza and had a couple beers. they were good yummy american lagers. the waiter was average, he asked me once about my food and wasn't upbeat or happy. i tipped him something around 5-10% of my bill because I had heard merrigans tip a lot.

the friday that week i went to the local bar to watch some "soccer" and other sports and the waiter was there. he walked up to me and said "so you're the guy who tips badly". he gave me the silent treatment and made the situation very uncomfortable. i was surprised he approached me and never went to that restaurant again even though the food was good. i've travelled a lot around the world but never had something so unexpected happen.
>>
>>72982002
You do realize working on a tip based salary means you can ONLY make MORE than minimum wage right?

You are stupid as shit. You get the opportunity to make far more than minimum wage and its impossible to make less, yet you feel entitled to free money for shit you don't even really deserve
>>
>>72982167
The fucking audacity of the working class in America sickens me
>>
>>72978416

It's not. If you don't mind being an asshole. Just don't tip and get on with your lives.
>>
>>72982167
>he walked up to me and said "so you're the guy who tips badly".

Why didn't you get him fired?

Servers are incredibly expendable, claim he was harassing you/insulting you, make a big enough scene and they are likely to be fired on the spot
>>
>>72982167

That is looked down up. You should have spoken with his manager.
>>
>>72982470

Motherfuker, not only are you arguing the wrong issue, you aren't even arguing with the right guy. What made you feel like you should get on /pol/ today and throw your weight around, why are you trying to put everyone who disagrees with you "in their place?"
>>
>>72982753
>not only are you arguing the wrong issue

No. I'm not

They aren't expecting the customers to pay their wages because if the customers don't tip, they HAVE to pay you what you'd make minimum wage

>but you only have to pick up their full hourly pay every now and then.

Because chances are the employee is making more than minimum wage based on tips

Fucking entitled little shit heads, I swear
>>
>>72978416
Tipping is a SCAM! You've all been brainwashed!!! Tipping should be determined by performance. I fell sorry for you suckers!!!!!
>>
>>72982977

Where are you getting this entitlement angle from, are you disagreeing that employers are passing the costs onto the customer? I'm not saying wait staff makes shit pay, it pays the best for an unskilled job that doesn't pee test you.

You're trying to argue with actual facts, and it's incomprehensible. The fact that your angle is that employers don't benefit from tipping because they still have to pay out their full wage sometimes?

Dial back the autism
>>
>>72982167
What you gotta do is go to a packed restaurant with one other person. Dnt tip and dnt pay. Finish eating get up and leave, if youre close to the door you wnt get caught.
They wnt even remember you.
Go back the next week, your server will be fired and you get to eat there again with no problems
>>
Six of us went out not long ago, normal place, spent maybe $200. Wife insists on tipping the bitch $60. I'm like, dude, we've been here an hour, she's been to our table like five times. You think tahy shit's worth $60/hr? On top of her other tables? Bitch probably makes like $400/night. "Less than minimum wage" my ass. Maybe at fucking Ram's Horn or something.
>>
>>72983286
>. The fact that your angle is that employers don't benefit from tipping

Of course they benefit from it, why shouldn't they?

The difference is, you benefit from it to.
>>
Don't tip because you have to

but tip if you feel they deserve it
>>
>>72983638

Yeah autismo, I'm not the guy you were arguing, I dont think wait staff are underpaid. Why don't you go beat off or do some push-ups to get out all of that pent up frustration? Quit being such a cuck, if you don't own a restaurant or work at one, you're inviting yourself to spend more money by trying to prove a point about entitlement to someone on a Peruvian Yarn Art Mailing List
>>
>>72978416
Do you tip at McDonalds?...... THOUGHT SO!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>72983258
>>72984099
STOP TYPING LIKE A AUTISMO 12 YEAR OLD!!!
>>
>>72983932
>being this mad

Fucking faggot, its not my fault your a self righteous piece of shit who feels entitled to free money at your shit job
>>
>>72983560
General rule was 15% tip but today people can't do simple math in their head so they raised it to 20%!!!
You're all a bunch of idiots!!!!!
>>
>>72984281
you mad bro?
>>
>>72984380
>>/r/eddit
>>
>>72984299

>actually I was A TROLL THE WHOLE TIME

Come on anon, have a little self respect. No ones mad here. It's a safe space.
>>
Stop whining. Cry to your mommy. Kill yourself.
>>
>>72984639
Go back to /b/ newfag
>>
>>72984742
Go stuff your fish and chips up your ass, old fag.
>>
>>72978416
To appreciate the service you were given. If you are stingy with your tip, the person performing the service knows a bit tip wasn't deserved. If you tip a lot, it's like saying "job well done."

Also, if you're a regular somewhere and a big tipper, you'll usually get better service.

I pay my babysitter a lot and she always drops what she's doing to babysit the kids while I go out.

It just seems like the more generous you are with your money, the more comes back to you.
>>
>>72984852

No don't do that youll get a butt pathogen
>>
>>72984852
>durr I'm admitting I'm a newfag
You're obviously trolling at this point but acting like a retard still makes you a retard
>>
>>72985090
Off topic Elizabeth is the queen why is her husband prince? Shouldn't he be king?
>>
File: 1455221590808.jpg (78 KB, 500x738) Image search: [Google]
1455221590808.jpg
78 KB, 500x738
>>72978416

Here in Canada, too. Tipping culture needs to change. I don't go to restaurants or order delivery food anymore because of it. When I order food I don't want a side order of entitlement to come with it, if wait staff don't get paid enough, then their employers need to either pay them more or start serving the food themselves.
>>
Makes some good points
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_vivC7c_1k
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.