[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is /pol/'s opinion on working long hours? Personally,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 5
File: url.png (5 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
url.png
5 KB, 225x225
What is /pol/'s opinion on working long hours?

Personally, I left a career as a graphic designer to work outside doing landscaping and garden maintenanace.

Within the so called 'creative' sector, it is expected for people to stay back at least 2/3 hours without extra pay, under the delusion that you're working in a highly creative field doing amazing work. My experience was extremely negative.

When I started working at a tree nursery, the hours and work was great, 7 til 3.30 with a half hour tea, and half hour lunch break.

Now I'm working with a guy doing landscaping and garden maintenance — he squeezes every job he can in a day and we don't finish usually till about 5.

I am begininning to think that late hours are systemic with the nature of poorly organised, small business operators who put their own interests ahead of their workers. I don't feel that this method is productive — it may work within an office or graphic design area, where people are under the delusion that they're doing amazing work, but that shit probably shouldn't fly in most other industries.

Back in the early 2000's and early 90's, as I was growing up, it was unheard of to be working back late with no pay. I feel as if the GFC, to some extent, has played a part in amplifying this; businesses are all tightening their belts so to speak to make up for money lost, while consumers also tighten their belts — so on and so fourth.
>>
overtime without 1.5 is for total cucks

if you ever engage in it you suck and if you're forced to engage it quit your fucking job then and there
>>
>>72926510

I must add, the job im working now $150 per day, if I stay past an hour and a half it is usually $200/$220 — far better than what I was getting as a graphic designer.
>>
the less i work, the happier i am
>>
>>72926413
>What is /pol/'s opinion on working long hours?
kill me
>>
>>72926413
it's just egotistical bragging, like instagraming your food

you lost productivity once you go over 40 hours a week
>>
Sometimes when the sun shines you have to make hay. As they say. I don't like working long hours now at all but I'm older and have my own business. When the work is there I will work up to 16 he days though but it's not all the time. I don't mind it but not for extended periods. When I was younger I would work as much as posible, 7 days a week offen and 12 hrs a day if there was work there. I'm a bit of a workaholic but was homeless for a while after high school and working puts me at ease. I know I have my shit covered when I do. I could sit on my ass for a few years now with what I've saved up
>>
>>72926608
I appreciate the work artists do but seems like everywhere their bosses treat them like dirt because there's always five more people willing to fill your shoes. It's sad.
>>
File: 1308370603359.jpg (67 KB, 583x720) Image search: [Google]
1308370603359.jpg
67 KB, 583x720
if i could make a modest living working 20 hours a week, i would go for it.
>>
>>72926618
Bernie bot detected.
>>
I think if you work 14 hour days you are likely to commit suicide.
>>
Landscaping is the ultimate mans job. All these cucks on here are office puffs, sitting down all day typing away on their computer
>>
>>72927102

I understand this 100% I would be the same if it was MY business, I would work the hours that I feel I should work.

What I'm suggesting is that it's unproductive and completely exploitative to expect others to work overtime — especially within a manual labour job.

>>72927123

That is 100% a severe issue within the design realm — the fact that the industry has been so over-saturated.

I went to university for 4 years, getting a degree in communication design, when someone from singapore can come here and work for $200 a week and be happy with it, it really fucks the industry.
>>
>>72927337

Thank you friend, I like doing it do. I am more than happy to bust my gut physically, just not for longer than 8 hours per day,
>>
>>72927337
>not being an electrician
>>
>>72927517
Union electrician here. Family-wide career 4 generations strong. Work for a contractor at a NASA facility. Shit's great.
>>
>>72927517
Thats manly work aswell. Fair play to ya. At least youre actually doing something. The majority of puffs on here are fat fucks that never leave the computer.
>>
>>72927628
Top job. Top bants. Top pay.

I genuinely Kek everytime my gf scowls because I got another payrise and earn over £15K more than her despite her "doing the right thing and getting a good education with a degree" genuinely can't believe intelligent people still fall for the degree meme
>>
>>72927827
Mate, the more morons fall for the degree meme the better it is for you.
>>
>>72926413
>Within the so called 'creative' sector, it is expected for people to stay back at least 2/3 hours without extra pay, under the delusion that you're working in a highly creative field doing amazing work. My experience was extremely negative.

Wait until you're 40 or 50 doing landscaping.

You'll wish you'd stuck with the office job as your back gives out and you're downing painkillers to keep doing low paid manual labour.

Or you'll just get replaced by some illegal who wants half of what you do and is half your age.

The reason people "bought the stem meme" is because they looked ahead more than 5 years.
>>
>>72927888
Oh yeah I know I just can't believe people still haven't seen what a huge jew meme it is.

I mean anyone will know London plumbers and electricians can easily earn £60-100k doing simple contracting work
>>
>>72927419
i think it's because it's a working field when it's easier for someone to get a job with a bare-minimum preparation and a lot of improvisation: how many amateur designers are employed for various tasks around the world? It's something that couldn't happen in other fields like Engineering, for an instance.
>>
>>72927900

Funny, I don't plan on doing back-breaking physical labour when I'm 50. Also, garden-maintenance is full of older people, in their 50's, doing the work as it is less strenuous than full-on landscaping.

I plan to get all of my licenses — excavator, bobcat etc. So I can do big jobs without the need for back-breaking work. I also plan to branch out with a friend so we can work at our own pace.

If you think sitting at a computer for 14 hours per day is great than think again. I was disgusted the way one employee lived his life — a 40 year old man with a wife and kids commuted 2 hours each ways to home and work and worked 16hr days while downing junk food. That is not the life I want to live.
>>
the more people in this world the more we have to work because labor is getting cheap

if you want it to end support birth control everywhere you can
>>
>>72926413
I love to work, it fulfills me, but I don't let it take over my life because I also value my free time which is just as important, if not more.

I, too, work manual labor after getting into STEM and then finding out H1B visas were handed out to half baked foreigners who will do their shoddy work for less. That's why I've limited my use of electronics and the internet for sensitive matters like banking.

When I'm too old for the physical aspect of my job, I've got a place waiting for me in quality control. Everyone from my foreman to his supervisors know I have a keen eye for detail. I wish I had gotten into my line of work sooner.
>>
>>72927900
>looked ahead more than five years

Apparently you didn't you absolute retard. By the time he's 50 he'll have a mountain of experience in a sector that's needing cheap labour. So guess what whilst you're struggling to make a new flavour for ribena he'll own his own business and be making brainsurgeon money for a fifth of the work.

I'm 23 and I own my own electrical contractors, it's possible because morons like yourself fall for two degree and stem meme, leaving the trade sector completely open. So much for "not thinking ahead"

Enjoy the debt!
>>
>>72928399
>Israel
Are you doing this on purpose?
>>
>work
>being a wageslave
>>
>>72928455
i didn't let anyone into your borders, why don't you open wikipedia and stop blaming the jews for hitting your pinkie at door
>>
>>72928399
tru af
>>
>>72928314
A friend did a computer job for years,her hip is fucked from those years of sitting around,
>>
>>72926413
It's illegal not to be paid for overtime in the USA. breaks are required after so many hours as well.
>>
>>72926413
If you think these businesses are treating you badly, why aren't you just opening your own competing business where you control the hours? Landscaping can't be all that high on overhead. Or do you think maybe the long hours are required to turn a profit?
>>
>>72928914

That's the plan mate, I've literally been in the game for 5 months.
>>
>>72926413
OP you have learned something more fundamental than you might have realised.
Its exactly the same in construction or healthcare; the basic take home message is that small businesses more often than not are shit to work for
>>
>>72926413
>long hours
Find them very enjoyable, it's not like I have much of a social life and those people I do know tend to work quite long themselves. 65 hour work weeks is great and reduces the amount of anxiety I feel to zero.

Maybe I'm just a born slave.
>>
I've been doing landscaping for the past 3 or so months. It's definitely starting to get better now that I have some chill as fuck foremen who like me.
>>
>>72926413
Work week is actually too long. Not every job needs 8 hours a day to do. Reduce hours and condense pay to compensate for jobs that don't need so much time. Make 30 hours count as full-time or something. Right now people everywhere are just spending their lives working.
>>
>>72926413
This "creative" sector nonsense is actually the law in California, too. Companies don't have to pay their software developers anything extra, and all the Silly Valley companies take full advantage of it. I think it would be very damaging long-term, except that no one's yet run out of Comp Sci majors and H1Bs they can push to the point of burnout. Gotta be "Agile", baby!
>>
>>72926413
Some people love it

I personally hate it with a passion, absolutly despise working long hours, old cunts with shit wives and children work long hours to escape their shit family, other people find being at home by themselves too lonely

Also how the fuck do I get a job?
>>
File: 1447854961451.jpg (174 KB, 1437x908) Image search: [Google]
1447854961451.jpg
174 KB, 1437x908
>>72926413
If you are expected to work overtime and not get paid for it you live in a corporate cuck culture. Workcucks who stay at work until late evening will never be able to raise a family or do anything but slave their lives away to their employer masters. Pic related if you replace NEETdom with non-cuck working culture.
>>
>>72929449
go to college
>>
>>72927827
Laughing at you here with my EE degree :)
>>
the working man is a sucker
>>
>>72929574
Nah
>>
>>72929821
yah
>>
>>72929867
Telling someone to spend there life savings on a few Micky mouse courses is an easy thing to do when it isn't your money
>>
I work 16 hour days 6 days a week so my restaurant can succeed and It's paying off my labour is 22% and food is 26% I'm actually making decent money remember goys being a wage slave is only acceptable ig you are your own boss
>>
Whenever I see Google colours, Iam getting agressiv.
>>
>>72929542
I just read Men Among the Ruins and I'm kind of coming to see things your way. Many of us are wasting away our lives working to enrich corporate shareholders who don't give a damn if we live or die as long as their quarterly profits increase year over year. No wonder suicide is so common, there's nothing spiritually fulfilling about being a wagecuck.
>>
>>72926413
I like working long hours personally

I make more money, get a good reference for future jobs, it keeps me busy and I don't come off as a degenerate cunt living off welfare

I know it sounds stupid, but i feel good about continuously working, I feel great pride in my work ethic.
>>
>>72926413
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud7EqbJ5lRs
>>
>>72926413
>What is /pol/'s opinion on working long hours?
If you are intelligent good, if you aren't bad but you will probably still end up doing so.

What you need to do is work 9-5 to build capital, then you need to work from 5-9 on your small business/website/blog/product/service whatever it may be an use capital from your 9-5 in order to market and eventually sell this product or service, also find some time to sleep somewhere in there. It is a grind that is necessary in being an entrepreneur and ultimately your own boss. You truly aren't free until you work for yourself.

Again if you're stupid and can't figure out how to do this in the West then you really aren't qualified to discuss let alone participate in any form of discourse on work hours and the ethics, legality and "fairness" of such a thing.
>>
>>72930984

That's what I am aiming to do, especially with my design skills etc. The problem is that my 'bread & butter' work is encroaching on my personal development time.
>>
>>72931138
>The problem is that my 'bread & butter' work is encroaching on my personal development time.
Then cut out your personal development until your main source of income is coming from your design skills.

Taking a look at some of the biggest corporations out there such as Apple or Amazon, Microsoft, even Facebook. Look at how modest many of these guys were in their beginnings, working out of a garage or with no funding.

Sure many of them made it into prestigious schools but they used their ingenuity to fulfill a niche, essentially making something from nothing. It is this wealth creation that makes the West extremely successful.

Let me tell you a story, my father worked different trades for most of his life. Partied all the money away, never had much of it anyways. Then he had me and my brother, ended up working his ass off, put himself through college while providing for our family. He ended up working as an addiction counselor and eventually went to open multiple rehabilitation centres and recovery homes where we live and in Vancouver.

He ended up passing away a couple of years later because of his poor health (and his never ending work days probably factored into this) but he left us with two things.

First, a successful business in which we could be proud of, leaving us with enough money to live comfortably even after his death. And second, he taught me that if you have a passion for something, if you think you can share your expertise or knowledge, skill set with others, then you should. He managed to do this (he always wanted to be able to help people) and make decent money from it, but I'll tell you, he never stopped working.
>>
File: 1452418533561.jpg (138 KB, 404x428) Image search: [Google]
1452418533561.jpg
138 KB, 404x428
>>
Landscaping is for Mexicans.

I'll take the AC and unlimited internet over back breaking work any day.
>>
>>72932184
You a sysadmin or something?
>>
>>72927123
It's as though art isn't worth that much.
>>
>>72927900
You're retarded. You can do a labour job all your life and be fine. Just don't do stupid shit and hurt yourself.
>>
>>72926510
There hasn't been a single case of karoshi in all of America as far as I can tell. You all need to work harder and be productive.
>>
>working aircraft maintenance
>24 hours of overtime is expected of you
>48 hours is normal
>72 hours is not encouraged but somewhat common
If anyone complains about your working hours, remember the guy who maintains the planes you fly on works his ass off without sleep for days to keep you safe.
>>
>>72926413

I think work is slavery and no other animal in nature goes through such labourous tasks except the hunt for food or finding shelter. In the not so distant future hopefully most 'jobs' will be automated so humans can do what they want with their lives, time, and family, instead of spending a big chunk of their lives slaving a way to earn someone money when they should be spending that time with family or pursuing their personal interests.
>>
>>72933474
Is that even legal?
>>
>>72933474
Gee thanks. I'm now more scared to fly knowing the maintenance guys might not have slept for a while and might not be really paying attention to details anymore.
>>
>>72933578

You mean all jobs will be automated leading to anger, frustration, neurosis and ultimately WW3
>>
>>72933578
How old are you? This is usually the mentality of a teenager or someone who has never worked a day in their life.

What most young people find surprising is that work is extremely rewarding, the feeling of accomplishment, that you have done something.
>>
>>72933623
No, but without us civil aviation would grind to a halt. We do however get paid for all that extra time, but the down side is how you spend so much time working that you'll never spend more than a few hundred each month on fuel, bills and food.
>>72933668
We double and triple check everything now, keep photographic evidence of repair work and extensive logs of the aircraft's condition. You're more likely to die from poor maintenance on your own care.
>>
Your onto it mate.
Unless your earning much more than the average wage or enjoy your job so much you would do it unpaid there is literally no sane reason to do hours and hours of overtime.
>>
>be software engineer
>these cucks desperately need me
>work from 10.00 till 17.00
>team leader casually slips in he thinks i should stay longer
>start looking for a new job that same day

thug life
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.