[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was Afghanistan never fully conquered and submitted by the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: afghanistan.png (45 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
afghanistan.png
45 KB, 600x400
Why was Afghanistan never fully conquered and submitted by the UK, the USSR and the US?
>>
>>72459838
mountains
>>
practically impossible terrain
>>
>>72459838
It's just not fucking worth it.
>>
>>72459893
fpbp mountains are overpowered.
>>
>>72459893
>>72460003
Valid point. But the Russians did control the entire Caucasus under communism, heck they even deported the Chechens
>>
>>72460175
Just because it says "controlled" on a map does not mean it has full control, you know?
>>
>>72460175
If you have the political clout to move and destroy entire ethnic groups you can have Afghanistan, but it's never an easy process. Ask Brezhnev.
>>
>>72460292
Yes I realise that, but the scuffles were never on the same scale as they were in Afghanistan
>>
superpowers keep arming the terrorists
>>
>>72460511
And what about the British in the 19th century?
>>
File: 1310581705628.gif (596 KB, 283x161) Image search: [Google]
1310581705628.gif
596 KB, 283x161
They fuck like rabbits, rape their children into submission and blame everything outside their tribe as the cause of their poor savagery
>>
>>72460395
Unlike Caucasus, in Afghanistan, the territory was not worth investment of huge garrison to keep political control over main roads and urban center. Brits eventually got beneficial political situation in Afghanistan anyway, even if they had no full control.

Modern day Afghanistan wars was about proxy conflict. With purely military means, any strong power could decimate Afghanistan and establish political control. But if another country who does not wish for this power to gain control funds, arms, and trains Afghani soldier, it becomes harder.
>>
Because no one wants to own a bunch of mountains filled with middle eastern mexicans.
>>
>>72459838

It could have been done by the soviets, if you look at their early success they were very much on top of things for a while because the islamists didn't have much more than outdated guns, some khyber rifles were even centuries old.

Things changed when they were given weapons that could blow up tanks, told how to make landmines (now IED's) and special training. ty Usa.
>>
The British never particularly tried to incorporate it as part of their Empire, they just crewted a situation where they were benefiting from it.

The Soviets were doing an excellent job until the west decided to channel in billions to fight them. Even by the time they left the government they had supported stayed strong for years.

US ended up in a similar situation to the British except with no cool artifacts.
>>
>>72459838
That was never the point. I'm not trying to save face or anything, I find my countries foreign policy laughably disgusting, but the point was never to completely conquer the region. Wars aren't fought over land ownership much any more really, the real goal in afghanistan was to hunt down bin laden and also to make an absolutely unthinkable amount of money by controlling the drug trade in afghan, it's how a lot of secretive organizations like the CIA fund a lot of their shit.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.