[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck is postmodernism?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7
File: 745836.gif (2 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
745836.gif
2 MB, 300x225
I hear this being thrown around fairly regularly. What the fuck is postmodernism? What is it supposed to achieve?

Real answers and fun answers welcome.
>>
It's a label for philosophy/art/cultural movements that come after modernism. It's not "supposed" to achieve anything, it's just a broad grouping of the things people have been coming up with from the past 50 years or so.
>>
Postmodernism = western moral and social degenerancy.
>>
>>72457177
Postmodernism is nothing but relativist degeneracy. Everyone makes his own truth and nothing is absolute. It drives people to nihilism and hedonism
>>
>>72457177
install gentoo
>>
>>72458297
>>72458297
sorry, wrong board
>>
>>72457177
Here's a good essay by Richard Dawkins on postmodernism:

http://www.physics.nyu.edu/sokal/dawkins.html

And here's something a bit more fun:

http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/pomo/ (refresh page for new nonsense every time)
>>
postmodernism = nihilism, degeneracy, rebelliousness, anti-traditionalism, "avant-garde", self-destruction, cry of help
>>
>>72457177
Millennials ran out of words to use so we need to make up new ones. Next it'll be NEOmodernism than Postneoism and then Allah will have smited us all by then.
>>
>>72457177
post what? war? ther's no art after all after that bitch
>>
>>72457177
>What the fuck is postmodernism?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postmodernism
>>
First it was modern. That would have been the split between now and before.

But now it's postmodern. Modernism wasn't enough. We need something more. Take the paw of the white rabbit, anon.
>>
>>72457177
watch Pulp Fiction for a brief glimpse of what it embodies

Aimlessly nihilistic, overly indulgent, and self-referential. Contrary to popular belief it's not a reflection of the decline of Western morals but instead a cyclical phenomenon of any society which has achieved this much greatness and therefore complacency. Perhaps globalization and over-socialization add to the sardonicism, but we couldn't possibly know as of now because of course this is the first time in history this shit is going on.
>>
>>72457177
specifically, postmodernism can be defined as a complete deconstruction of or reaction against whatever is conventionally principled in whatever art is being represented, which, if not fully understood in that sense, can lead some to believe it to be pointless, when pointlessness is essentially the point.
>>
>>72457177
individualism, relativism, atheism. Basically all the cancerous aspects of the modern world
>>
>>72457177
postmodernism = retarded shit
that's all you need to know
a bunch of dishonest papers full of obscure jargon meant to give the appearance of profundity while lacking any
new types of art and music that are worse than any that came before
>>
>>72459105
specifically, postmodernism can be defined as a complete deconstruction of or reaction against whatever is conventionally principled in whatever art is being represented, which, if not fully understood in that sense, can lead some to believe it to be pointless, when pointlessness is essentially the point.
>>
File: typical swede.png (371 KB, 938x1224) Image search: [Google]
typical swede.png
371 KB, 938x1224
>>72457177
The terminal stage of Western CIvilization

There is no such thing as objective truth, but the statement that there is no such thing as objective truth is objectively true.

Beauty and value is subjective, hence art is shit
Philosophy degenerated into arcane ramblings
Western civilization was a conspiracy of racist sexist homophobic white males and should be disbanded or else Hitler will come back.

Believing that things have their objective essence and reality is not just fancy word games and "yeah, well that's just like, your opinion, man" leads straight to Auschwitz (seriously, they say that, check out anti-essentialism)
>>
>>72457177
Pretty much this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0DwRAVJZ4A

Left-wing "-ology" professors will call it a natural evolution.
> But it is an artificial forced meme
>>
>>72459359
Good answer.
>>
>>72457177
Try reading some books, retard. Fredric Jameson is a good place to start. What it isn't is a label for "shit I hate," as it's used by many commentators who are rejecting the idea rather than engaging with its content. It's broadly an attempt to summarize the characteristics of an aesthetic movement that makes faggots especially butthurt.

Also, try to be less of a faggot.
>>
>>72458342

>sudo emerge -uDavb --keep-going world

Definitely wrong board.
>>
>>72457177
I dunno what it is but i want to kill myself
>>
>>72458610

Being this retarded and still functional...

Yes, anon, Millenials made up postmodernism. Blame the Millenials.

Jesus Christ.
>>
File: 745826.gif (2 MB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
745826.gif
2 MB, 240x180
>>72459574
>>
Modernism is a movement in art and culture that roughly starts around the beginning of the 20th century. It is a result of the existential crisis across Europe after the slaughter of the first world war. It attempts to rewrite morality, that the old ways are old and don't apply to today. All sorts of modern movements have tried to create guidelines and philosophy regarding art music literature etc to find the "truth" applicable to a modern society, with various degrees of success. Picasso and James Joyce among some of the more successful names.

Post modernists criticized this movement and said, if tradition doesn't have truth, than why would any newer movement be any more "truthful"? Much of postmodern art is about deconstruction. It is often uses humor, cynicism, satire to expose conceits claiming to have value. Its also very often obtuse, inaccessible, very context heavy and conceptual.

If something is said to be post modern, it usually means that it defies conventions in a way that is meant to undermine assumptions and criticize the zeitgeist
>>
>>72457177
Post modernism is a broad term; but its essentially at it's core the rejection of meaning or fundamental reality in a give work such as a art, literature, even political position. A post modernist at the extreme end reject objectivity as a concept, believng only viewer's subjective experience to be valid. So when reading a book only a reader's interpretation counts - not the author's intent. This reasoning is why a third paty's emotional response to a statement and not it's original intent is given precedence.

It's why cultural relativism - the belife that morality is subjective and cant be applied across cultural boundaries holds sway. Ehen ever you hear teachers say thing like 'no wrong answers' you are hearing post modernism in education.
>>
>>72457177
after modernism
>>
File: 1459747942469.jpg (272 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
1459747942469.jpg
272 KB, 1440x810
>>72457177
I love Brat!

sorry, wrong board
>>
>>72458297
>>
>>72457177
Short version:
Modern is a time period in academic canon. Which years is dependent on what field you are referring to.

Postmodern is usually authors who are critics of modern. Sometimes it just means what came after modern, but more often we call that contemporary.

Postmodernism (again see: field dependent) often involves deconstruction as a main tool.
>>
>>72462733
so it's all relative to whatever the current year is?
>>
>>72457905
Postmodern philosophy is usually around the 19th-20th century. The people still doing postmodern stuff today are mostly ignored, because their arguments have been stated to death already and people are more focused on responding to the arguments made by the orginal post-modernists.

Some things that came from developing and responding to post-modernists include:
Post structuralism
Critical theory
Marxism
Anything that uses the term "X is a social construct"

Note that this does not make up the entire branch of contemporary philosophy. Just the ones who chose to keep working on foundations left by those who first critiqued the philosophy of the modern era
>>
>>72463268
No these words are used in a technical sense differently than in a colloquial sense. So it's relative to context.

The next time period will probably get a new fun name and this era will stay as the contemporary era. Or it won't. Whatever, academics are weird about this stuff
>>
>>72463839
So they're all relegated to time. I get it.
>>
>>72460131
Yeah there has been a lot of pushback in many fields basically saying

"Okay the challenge that nothing means anything can't be correct, it had some good points and cleared the table of a lot of biases, but now we need to assert new truths and ideas."

It's slowly changing courses, the rhetoric invented by various postmodern movements is compelling and able to stop a lot of arguments dead, but also tends to be self-destructive and contradictory conclusions arrive. Hence the pushback
>>
>>72457177
this guys does a pretty good job of explaining it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19ipEtmet6I

>inb4 poo in loo
>>
>>72458610
Actually it's post-post-modernism :^) (or metamodernism for people who hate fun)
>>
>>72457177
God ever since I was a kid I've always wanted to face fuck the shit out of her.
>>
>>72464561
wait, you wan to do "it" until poop pops out of her butt?
>>
Modernism was, essentially, change for the sake of change. A great upheaval and throwing of everything against the wall to see what stuck.

Postmodernism is one step beyond that, and centers around a central theme (thought not one that all postmodernists will admit to), that nothing sticks to the wall, and that we're just throwing shit for the sake of throwing.
>>
>>72458481
Well there are also postmodernism movements that rejected all of those things and affirmed life. They just aren't as well known, since people don't seem to like the whole

"No meaning is inherent, so you have to create your own."

Becauae humans don't like choice and knowing that if you're unhappy or don't like life, that mindset and meaning was your choice to look at the world that way.

Existenistalism and absurdism scares the shit out of people who come to realize they are ultimatey tasked with choosing to be happy and no one can do it for them.
>>
>>72464760
No as a kid I literally wanted to face fuck her until she pukes. Like I want her to get so sick she can't work for a couple days. Just her.
>>
>>72465023
Wow. How about that time, years ago, when your womb was still fertile?
>>
>Every possible story was already made, all the pictures were painted, all the songs were composed
>All we can do is rehash them

Its basically meta-art. Nice example would be novels of U. Eco or the memes based on pop-culture references.
>>
>>72465267
It seems like I wouldn't want to get stomach acid on my dick, but then I guess you're an artist and would know better.
>>
"Nothing means anything, everything's permitted. Nothing is forbidden so anything goes."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4oQECb6Viw
>>
>>72465397

A single look at [s4s] should tell you that you're off by one. You mean "meta-meta-art." All levels of irony that resemble sincerity are evenly numbered.
>>
>>72465494
I had and idea, I would get her hooked into some body harness and face fuck her constantly while watching power rangers. Every time she pukes I would pull out and spray her in the face with a garden hose. Rinse and repeat.
>>
>>72465717
You should make a moving art to that effect.
>>
>>72458095

Negative. Modernism is the synthesis of all degeneracy, postmodernism is a limp-wristed effort to put a lid on that shit.
>>
>>72457177
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0DwRAVJZ4A
>>
File: aKqyo2Z_460s.jpg (32 KB, 460x270) Image search: [Google]
aKqyo2Z_460s.jpg
32 KB, 460x270
>>72465709
I meant more mainstream memes, like this, s4s is entirelly different level
>>
File: SKAr.png (1 MB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
SKAr.png
1 MB, 800x600
>>72466115

Ah, yeah, okay. You're right, then.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.