[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't understand people's opposition to subsidized
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 1370106845080.jpg (410 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1370106845080.jpg
410 KB, 1600x1200
I don't understand people's opposition to subsidized college tuition. People like to say it's just naive teenagers wanting "free shit", but in actuality it's an investment into a nation's future, paid for many times over by the future productivity and high-end skills that an educated workforce brings.

And yes, I know, people like to say stuff like "too many people will get useless degrees in interpretive womens dance", but to deny ALL people the opportunity of subsidized education because of this one possibility is essentially to throw the baby out with the bathwater. It'd be like if a bank refused to invest in ANY upstart business on the off-chance they'd fail - there'd be no investment, ever.
>>
Liberal arts aren't productive degrees. Real degrees pay for themselves.
>>
>>72432768
What if they don't?
>>
>>72432768
They should be limited to 3% of degrees available
>>
>>72432676
>but to deny ALL people the opportunity of subsidized education
People who graduate with economically viable degrees do not need subsidies because they're able to pay back the loans they took out to fund their investment in themselves. It's only the useless degrees that need subsidies since those who "invest" in such degrees do not have the ability to pay back the loans on their poor investment choice. So you're claim that it denies education to all is invalid. The lowering of subsidies only denies education to those who are in worthless degree programs. Valuable degrees are still a good investment, subsidy or not.

Source: graduated with over $50,000 in student loans. Paid them off in under five years because I didn't invest in a worthless degree.
>>
File: 1461738971851.jpg (76 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1461738971851.jpg
76 KB, 960x960
>>72433105

You are a fucking cuckhold and have no friends
>>
>>72432676
>I don't understand people's opposition to subsidized college tuition

Because it devalues college degrees to the point of meaninglessness. Whatever "education" you think you're getting in college, it's worthless unless you're getting a STEM degree or going to medical school.
>>
>>72432676
It is insanely easy to get a degree without accumulating any debt. I am about to graduate with a bachelors in anthropology and a minor in genetics from a good university and with approximately $0 in debt. I worked a part time job that payed $17 an hour, didn't live on campus, and commuted everywhere. The problem is college students don't know how to budget their allowance and blow their financial aid money on garbage. A friend of mine has recently complained about not having enough to pay for her apartment next quarter while she ate out on a regular basis and would gloat every weekend about buying frivolous shit. So I would prefer that my tax dollars not pay for a lazy college student's luxuries.
>>
>>72432768

No history, no law, no medicine, no business admin, no Harvard, no Dartmouth, no Ivys at all. Fucking Leaf.

Degrees don't pay for themselves at all. People pay for them, either through taxes, direct funding or a combination.

Look at MIT's model. Despite being the definitive STEM school, undergrads there take half there classes in HASS subjects, that is Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences. This is how you train engineers with some ethical fiber.

> 3/10, got me to respond with a real post.
>>
>>72433380
What happens if you broke a leg?
>>
>>72433586
If I broke a leg it would be helped by my university because I opted into an insurance plan with them, along with the private insurance that my parents have.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.