[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Flattering eye shadow - but no tattoos: Outrage at Unive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 15
>Flattering eye shadow - but no tattoos: Outrage at University of Washington's checklist for budding cheerleaders that 'objectifies women'
>The cheer team had published a long list of dos and don't for their tryouts
>Poster told girls they needed false lashes, athletic physique and spray tan
>Tattoos, ponytails and outfits that covered midriffs were not acceptable
>The poster was then removed after it sparked a furious backlash online
>Critics claimed the poster was sexist and 'objectified women' while others complained it undermined cheerleading as a serious sport

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3562772/University-Washington-cheerleaders-spark-outrage-poster-advising-girls-false-lashes-athletic-physique-spray-tan-long-list-dos-don-ts-try-out.html
>>
>>72330469
Why is the UK even talking about our UW cheerleaders? Fuck off out of our shit you britbong homos.

Their personalities are degenerate enough, we don't need their bodies to be degenerate.

Go dawgs.
>>
I would imagine the guidelines were written by another woman.
>>
File: 1456487511130.jpg (13 KB, 206x215) Image search: [Google]
1456487511130.jpg
13 KB, 206x215
Holy fuck, when did the left switch places with evangelicals?!
>>
>>72330469
women were a mistake
>>
>>72330678
or a faggot
>>
>>72330469
>cheerleading as a serious sport
>>
>>72330469
She looks good to me. She's hired as my cheerleader.
>>
>cheerleaders are supposed to be aesthetically pleasing and athletic enough to perform various physical feats and maneuvers
Only women can be offended this easily. The ones complaining have no intention of being a cheerleader anyway why do they care?
>>
>>72330469
Wtf is wrong with ponytails?

Ahaha
>>
>>72330469
This is 100% normal and typical. I don't know why these people are complaining. Every single gymnastics, cheerleading or dance program I've ever seen has had a specific dress code including how to do your hair and makeup. If you don't like it, don't do it. AGHH.
>>
>>72330885
>>72331004

Some cheerleaders work pretty hard.
>>
File: fatgirlflow-313679.jpg (50 KB, 590x456) Image search: [Google]
fatgirlflow-313679.jpg
50 KB, 590x456
>>72330469

The girl in the pic attached "self identifies" as a cheerleader and wonders why the U of W made the poster.
>>
>>72330722
You didn't know? It's just all those hyper religious types that used to hang people, those genes got passed down and their offspring adopted the state as their god and social justice and leftism as their religion.
>>
>>72330469
They realize it was women who made those up, right?
>undermines it as a serious sport
It's a sport based around looking good, and being in such amazing shape you can continue to look good while working hard.
>>
>>72330469
HOLY FUCK how do people even say this?

It's not a sport, no. And that's not because it's something women do. Women's volleyball is a sport. Women's softball is a sport. Womens football is even a sport.

But cheerleading is definite NOT a sport.
>>
>>72331300
Why not?
>>
Cheerleading was literally designed as a compliment to real sports where women could be objectified for the sake of motivating the athletes to impress them. Ever notice how when a woman watches you do something physical, you try harder? Yeah.

These people are idiots and should be silenced.
>>
>>72331300
Cheerleaders work harder than the majority of people in those "sports" do desu
>>
>>72331004
It's team gymnastics for stacies, it's pretty sportsy.
>>
>>72330469
>cheerleaders are supposed to be attractive, healthy and athletic

Only a woman is offended by this statement.
>>
>feminists want to deport this
>>
>>72331333
>>72331377

It's NOT about how hard they work!

That has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Ballet dancers work just as hard (or, realistically, probably even harder) but no one thinks that ballet dance is a sport. Why would cheerleading be a sport?

One reason and one reason only. If they can define themselves as a sport they become eligible for more federal money.

But it's still not a sport. It's a performance art. There's nothing wrong with that. I'd even support changing the law to let them have funding. Instead they assault the language that's the only thing that makes me mad.
>>
>>72330469
this is the look they want for their brand

its not a platform for already self-absorbed bitches to make it about them and steal the show - you are a team and are to look uniform

dont like it work somewhere else
>>
>>72331588
an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
>>
Cheerleading is 1000x more a sport than fucking video games, and you dipshits have no problem calling that degenerate shit "sports."

Cheerleading is not a sport...get the fuck outta here. Have you even seen cheerleaders in the last like 30 years? They're not the "cheerleaders" of the 50's, dude.

The biggest problem is they still call it cheerleading. It's more like a blend of gymnastics, dance, and circus type performance. Some of the shit they do is crazy.
>>
>>72331588
How do you define a sport?
>>
>>72331786
>t. stacey tween
>>
>>72331654
http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/11128302/espnw-former-college-cheerleader-says-sorry-cheerleading-not-sport

I don't know where you got your definition but it's inaccurate. The first part is right, but "entertainment" is a pinky projection, sports and entertainment or entirely different things. There are lots of activities which are both athletic and entertaining but not at all sport.

The essence of sports is to compete, not to perform, certainly not to entertain.
>>
File: naked-yoga015.jpg (123 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
naked-yoga015.jpg
123 KB, 800x1200
I don't know, anons. These grills work pretty damn hard when they get to college level and pro level sports cheerleading.

It's not just "be hot" and you're in. These chicks would break all of our dicks off.
>>
>>72331999
Have you never heard of competitive cheerleading?
>>
>>72331786
>you dipshits have no problem calling that degenerate shit "sports."
Fuck you too anon, I've been saying for years that e-sports and the pathetic assholes who participate in them are a cancer on the face of humanity
>>
>>72331786
I agree that it's a sport

I find it fascinating that it doesn't pull in the viewership that you think it would on paper though.

"the hottest, most immaculately groomed women compete in athletic dance and gymnastics for your amusement" and it's in the same tier as little league cuban baseball on ESPN3 on the weekends, if you're lucky. You'd think sex sells, but sometimes it don't. You can't pay most dudes to sit through a cheerleading competition
>>
>>72331125
Hard work =\= sport
>>
>>72332089
You can turn anything into a pissing contest if you like, but that doesn't mean it's a sport.
>>
>>72332371
Okie dokie, but tell me what makes it "not a sport"?
>>
>>72330469
>cheerleaders that 'objectifies women'

No, really? A bunch of attractive women dancing to hype up a crowd of men cheering for men playing a competitive sport against other men.

When has this not been the case?
>>
buttmad fatties mad they arent good enough to become a cheerleader
>>
>>72332089
Sure I have. There are several problems with declaring 'cheerleading is a sport' based on it.

First, there's no objective scoring. It's about as subjective as figure skating actually, and the two activities are very similar in that regard. No one doubts that speed skating is a sport, but only the mushy-brained have ever accepted figure skating as such. It's another performance art.

Well that's one problem, but ok, some people do consider figure skating a sport surely, and by that standard you could consider the cheerleading competitions, which IIRC happen once a year - you could call THOSE EVENTS sporting events, and the cheerleading performed at those events could be considered sport.

But even then, the activity of the cheerleaders the rest of the year would not be sport. It's clearly, exclusively, performance art.

And best I know these competitions, while they may have existed for some time, had essentially no exposure and even most cheerleaders didn't know they existed until being a sport became a statutory entitlement to free money, then suddenly "competition" become popular.

There's nothing at all wrong with performance art, and I'm in no way doubting their athleticism.

But cheerleading is no more a sport than 'pro wrestling' or figure skating, quit tearing up the language to suit a woman's whims anon.
>>
>>72330469
>DONT'S

Tha'ts not where the apostrophe go'es.
>>
File: 1435436471188.jpg (62 KB, 600x663) Image search: [Google]
1435436471188.jpg
62 KB, 600x663
>>72330722

>implying they were ever different
>>
There's a shit load of places that won't hire people if they have ridiculous nails, hair, or tattoos. It just happens to be that it's only hiring women that is making it "objectifying"
>>
>>72332511

Sport (UK) or sports (US) are all forms of usually competitive physical activity or games which,[1] through casual or organised participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical ability and skills while providing enjoyment to participants, and in some cases, entertainment for spectators.

So unless it's in a competition context it is not a sport
>>
Skynet doesn't mind tattoos
>>
>>72332089
Subjective result based on opinion
vs
Tangible goal(s) achieved.

Not Sport vs Sport.
>>
Cheerleaders are there for objectification, period.

There's no other reason for them to be there.
>>
File: PSA_Stewie.jpg (63 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
PSA_Stewie.jpg
63 KB, 1920x1080
Sports teams exist to compete, not to perform and entertain or support another group that competes. In the cheer-as-sport conversation, this is the most important element to understand. One can be an athlete and not participate in a sport. And one can participate in a sport and not be very athletic. By definition, billiards and bowling are sports. Backcountry skiing, climbing, ballet and cheerleading are not. I'm fine with that.
>>
>>72331215
anon you might actually be onto something desu
>>
>>72332576
competitive cheerleading IS a sport you uncultured ass. If synchronized swimming is an olympic sport so is competitive cheerleading
>>
File: image.jpg (10 KB, 243x249) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
10 KB, 243x249
>>72330469
>cheerleading
>serious sport
Fuckin kek
>>
>>72332576
What about the scoring lacks objectivity? Each routine has to include several different stunts, pyramids and tosses and they are each graded based on technique and difficulty. I mean, maybe some competitions have a creativity score or something, but other than that, I don't see how this is subjective?

I also don't know where you've gotten your info on cheerleading from. My best friend was a competitive cheerleader from ages 7-19 and during the season, which lasted a few months, she would compete every single weekend. There isn't just one cheerleading competition.

What is the activity of the cheerleaders the rest of the year?
>>
File: 1461787584431.webm (547 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1461787584431.webm
547 KB, 640x640
>>72330469
>>
>>72332688
> usually competitive
> unless it's in a competition context it is not a sport

??

It wouldn't matter, though, because there is such thing as competitive cheerleading.

>>72332758
see >>72332938
>>
>>72333098
>because there is such thing as competitive cheerleading.

I know but woman dandying around there asses on the side line is not a sport
>>
>>72333263
What do you mean? Do you mean that cheerleaders that perform at football and basketball games and such aren't participating in a sport, or that actual cheerleading competitions aren't sports?

You can golf or play basketball or ride bikes or whatever for fun (which is basically what classic high school style cheerleading is) and they can still be sports.
>>
>>72332893

The competition at high school and collegiate national championships -- some of which are aired on ESPN -- is incredible, but these events take place only once per year. That's not frequently enough to satisfy NCAA, NFHS or Title IX sport requirements. And many teams still choose not to compete at all.

If cheerleading squads began practicing and competing enough to satisfy those requirements, they would be forced to drastically scale back the number of games at which they cheer. Or stop cheering at games entirely. The minute that happens, rest in peace, cheerleading.
>>
>>72331654
>physical exertion
What is this?
>>
>>72330469
>Critics claimed the poster was sexist and 'objectified women' while others complained it undermined cheerleading as a serious sport

I don't even know where to start

Bitches all try to dress like this anyways, they seem to like be objectified.

Cheerleading isn't a sport. It's not even division 9 or whatever in high school. Hardly a job as well. Remember when NFL cheerleaders were suing because they're paid less than minimum wage?
>>
>>72331786
Video games aren't sports either
>>
>>72333846
There are other places to cheerlead. It doesn't all go through high schools and it doesn't always have any connection to performing at games. There are gyms completely devoted to cheerleading where the teams travel the US to compete in different competitions.
>>
>women claim cheerleading is a sport
>women get assmad when people say you need an athletic physique to do cheerleading
the fuck
>>
>>72330722
They call them "regressive left" for a reason
>>
File: cheer-cowboys-waggle.jpg (63 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
cheer-cowboys-waggle.jpg
63 KB, 600x800
>>72334396
For athletes who wish to participate in cheerleading solely to compete, there are private all-star teams and STUNT, a new version of competitive cheer that was developed by USA Cheer, the governing body of cheerleading in the U.S. The goal of STUNT is to provide a means for female cheerleaders to compete in the spring season. It is the fastest-growing high school sport and is seeking emerging sport status from the NCAA. Unlike traditional cheerleading, it also meets Title IX eligibility requirements.

STUNT is a sport, as its athletes participate solely to compete. But it is not cheerleading.
>>
>>72330469
>The cheer team had published
>Critics claimed the poster was sexist

HOW?!
>>
>>72334608
I'm not talking about STUNT. Like I said, my best friend was doing competitive cheerleading from ages 7-19 which was well before 2010 when STUNT was established. She also never cheered for a school team. She started out doing gymanstics until the gym started the cheer program and then it was practices every day after school and competitions on Saturdays with two seasons a year, plus mandatory camp in the Summer. Nothing to do with school cheerleaders or STUNT.
>>
File: the honey bees.jpg (39 KB, 575x201) Image search: [Google]
the honey bees.jpg
39 KB, 575x201
>>72330678
A bunch of black girls in my high school were outraged because we only had one black cheerleader. Said it was because racism that there was only one cheerleader and that she was on the squad as a token. The sponsor of the cheer squad was the geometry teach.. who was female... and black. The one black cheerleader was the only black girl who actually tried out. Of course the blackrage excuse was that the teacher was an Uncle Tom and that no other black girls tried out because they already knew they wouldn't be selected.

The reality is most protestors don't give a shit about their "cause". They just want to the center of attention so their meaningless failed lives feel important.
>>
>>72332893
Legally in the United States it is not a sport. You can write whatever you want in your own personal dictionary but from a legal perspective, cheerleading in its current form is not a sport.
>>
File: cheerleader-champs-score.jpg (20 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
cheerleader-champs-score.jpg
20 KB, 300x300
>>72334924
>competitions on Saturdays
Yes but the *cheerleaders* were not the ones competing. They were cheering for the teams that were actually competing, attempting to affect the competition indirectly, by improving their morale. That is not the same thing.

That doesn't make it not as good, it doesn't make it better, it's just not the same thing.

To get back on topic for a moment:

The AMA's motives seem sincere. More attention to safety is a wonderful thing. In one of the fairest assessments of cheerleading injuries in recent years, FiveThirtyEight's Walt Hickey examined recent injury reports and found that while cheerleading is not nearly as dangerous as it was previously believed to be, what distinguishes high school cheerleading from almost every sport is that cheerleaders are injured in practice more frequently than in competition. That clearly points toward a need for access to safer practice surfaces and more highly trained coaches.

But that is something that can and should happen whether cheer is defined as a sport or as an athletic activity.
>>
>>72335415
Okay, so you're just trolling or what? I'm talking about cheerleaders that have nothing to do with any other sports teams. There are no other people involved in these competitions, they are cheerleading teams from independent, non-school related gyms competing by performing acrobatic dance routines.
>>
Marching band/drum corps specifically is more of a sport than fucking cheerleading
>>
>>72334608
You know, I try to specifically state "competitive" before cheerleading. To, you know, differentiate. This semantics game you are playing is getting old. You are basically saying that cheer leading is not a sport unless you are cheerleading in the right setting. but... you still don't call it cheerleading.
>>
>>72335415
This is cancer. He's just trolling and ignoring what people are actually trying to tell him.
>>
>>72330642
Maybe because a lot of Americans read the daily mail.
>>
File: 1458434481382.jpg (247 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
1458434481382.jpg
247 KB, 560x560
>>72330469
>undermined cheerleading as a serious sport
>cheerleading
>serious
>sport
>>
>>72330469
This is going to be my new chart to which I compare all females to.
>>
>>72330469
her mouth is smiling, but her eyes seem dead
>>
>>72336069

No form of cheerleading is a sport, competitive or otherwise
>>
Even before my /pol/ days I said that Cheerleading was wrong. They are pretty much the same as strippers.
>>
File: cheerleading-perception-fact.jpg (56 KB, 700x516) Image search: [Google]
cheerleading-perception-fact.jpg
56 KB, 700x516
>>72335850
>Okay, so you're just trolling or what? I'm talking about cheerleaders that have nothing to do with any other sports teams.
Then you are talking about STUNT or an all-star tearm or something functionally the same which happens to be given a different name in your locale for some reason. Regardless, the same comment applies as already given for STUNT and all-star teams.

"For athletes who wish to participate in cheerleading solely to compete, there are private all-star teams and STUNT, a new version of competitive cheer that was developed by USA Cheer, the governing body of cheerleading in the U.S. The goal of STUNT is to provide a means for female cheerleaders to compete in the spring season. It is the fastest-growing high school sport and is seeking emerging sport status from the NCAA. Unlike traditional cheerleading, it also meets Title IX eligibility requirements.

STUNT is a sport, as its athletes participate solely to compete. But it is not cheerleading."

(And no I am not really trolling but since clearly no one bothered to read the article on the subject I linked earlier by a former cheerleader and senior sports writer, I have been taking the liberty of extracting relevant quotes for you faggots. )
>>
>>72333550
>Do you mean that cheerleaders that perform at football and basketball games and such aren't participating in a sport

this
>>
Why do they dislike ponytails? Isn't it pretty much the best thing to do with long hair if you're going to be jumping around?
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.