[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/pol/ BTFO
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7
File: VZlyv.jpg (73 KB, 600x468) Image search: [Google]
VZlyv.jpg
73 KB, 600x468
He's right and you know it
>>
>>72242068
I'm not exactly proud to be an amalgamation of European races, but I'm damn pleased I'm no nigger.
>>
George Carlin was a great comedian.

But he wasn't a philosopher. His oration skills off the charts.
>>
File: 174578.png (168 KB, 703x642) Image search: [Google]
174578.png
168 KB, 703x642
>>
>>72242068
>Some guy has an obnoxious opinion
He's supposed to be a comedian? Where's the punchline?

Seems like most liberal commedians forget the humor element of comedy.
>>
>>72242068
I'm proud to be 5'11".
>>
File: 1456394482656.jpg (24 KB, 491x491) Image search: [Google]
1456394482656.jpg
24 KB, 491x491
>>
>>72242321
George Carlin 'was' an extraordinary orator and comedian.

He doesn't do bullshit jokes though.
>>
Because nationality has little to do with simple genetics like Carlin is simple-mindedly trying to assert. It has everything to do with your community. Do you want to make your fellow man's living better, knowing that he will do the same for you (even if unconsciously, Adam Smith lmao)? Do you want your kids to live a good, prosperous life? Because your fellow man isn't in China or Africa. He's here. Ideally your child also isn't from China or Africa; he's the closest thing to yourself you'll ever see.
So what's wrong with being proud of where you live if you directly work to make that place better? That's an accomplishment.
>>
He would only be right if your country or previous generations hasn't accomplished anything worthwhile in it's entire lifetime.

This is not the case however, as most countries has atleast some accomplishments under their belts, both major and minor.
>>
>>72242456
He doesn't do any jokes from the looks of it
>>
>>72242068
> Except for the fact that you are a product of your environment.
> Except that group cohesion makes something greater than its individual parts.
> Except that ethnic or national pride creates a naturally coherent group for the purposes of defense and structural solidarity. This structure of long-term safety and survival becoming a given, focus can be placed elsewhere.
>>
>>72242068
I'm proud of my country's history because it's long, build on blood of my ancestors and it makes me feel good to know that they were fighting for our future, therefore I love my country, however shit sucks money wise and that's why I have to work in UK.

So no, he is fucking wrong.
>>
>>72242978
>cohesion makes something greater than its individual parts.
Antifragility
"Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Yet, in spite of the ubiquity of the phenomenon, there is no word for the exact opposite of fragile. Let us call it antifragile. Antifragility is beyond resilience or robustness. The resilient resists shocks and stays the same; the antifragile gets better".[1] Hormesis is an example of mild antifragility, where the stressor is a poisonous substance and the antifragile becomes better overall from a small dose of the stressor. This is different from robustness or resilience in that the Antifragile system improves with, not withstands, stressors, where the stressors are neither too large or small. The larger point, according to Taleb, is that depriving systems of vital stressors is not necessarily a good thing and can be downright harmful.
>>
>Pride

Patriotism is not pride, it's love.

I fucking love my country, and if you don't, fuck you.
>>
>>72242068
Because your country isn't just the place you were born, it's your home. You grew up there, you were raised there, it's culture left a permanent impression on you that will forever be a part of your worldview and personality, whether you see it or not. You love your country because you love yourself.

I can't believe I used to like Carlin as much as I did. I mean, I WAS 16, but still. He's such an edge lord.
>>
File: 1461617452464.jpg (117 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
1461617452464.jpg
117 KB, 333x500
>>72242068
It's about honour, not pride.

Faggot.
>>
>>72243172
Taleb is absolutely relevant when it comes to human systems. Humans (and therefore groups of humans) get better when faced with struggle; they find solutions and workarounds. Same reason we can't just strive for 100% happy stimulation all the time. Overcoming obstacles and reaching goals brings happiness, not empty ylyl and facebook stimulus. Antifragility is a boon.
>>
>>72243172
getting a callous prevents further skin damage but it has side effects like weakening the sense of touch and making the skin less pliable, prone to cracking and infection

just because an idea sounds cool does not make it suited for any particular application - certain systems and processes lend themselves to this kind of thing (like callouses, or our immune response) but it does not make it a good fit for EVERYTHING
>>
>>72242068

By his logic American shouldnt be proud of the Declaration of independence, the bill of rights etc etc or contributing to the halt of the German and Japanese empires

Liberals who think he is right shouldn't celebrate Gay pride or multiculturalism.
>>
File: self-pride.jpg (77 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
self-pride.jpg
77 KB, 960x720
>>72242068

Good man.

>>72242158

Fool. This is how they divide and conquer and you've swallowed the hook with a gulp then demanded more.
>>
>>72242068
more like you're using Carlin's words to advance your monocultural agenda
so no
>>
>>72242068
And besides

>So why would you be proud to be Irish
Outstanding folklore.

>or Italian
Galilei, da Vinci, Machiavelli, countless other masterminds, and a national cuisine that is world renowned, and considered the greatest and healthiest by many

>or American
Culture of liberty and independence, the ideals of all upstanding people.

There are many nations to be proud of. Nations are something great. Only Jews and SPQRfags would disagree.
>>
>>72242068
>you can only feel pride for yourself
what?
>>
The swedecuck speaks the truth.
>>
But I am proud to be 6'1 and not a manlet.
>>
>>72244533
I once had an intense fight with some delusional objectivist Americans, because I called them stupid for believing that the self is something worth living for. These people actually think an egoist society is desirable.
>>
>>72243234
A brit that loves his country. Unfortunately it seems like that is become rare.
>>
Carlin was a basket case libfag.
>>
It's difficult for some self centered people to understand the concept of being part of something larger than themselves
>>
>>72242068
Neither he nor you knows what national pride is.

It's not your fault though. 1 look at your flag reveals why.
>>
>>72245115
Muslims love their countries bro.
>>
>>72242068
being nationalistic doesn't mean "hurr durr the country I was born in is better than yours", it means not wanting the past achievements of the people from the past to go to waste

and also whether he likes it or not, different countries have different cultures, different values and with that different people that, multiculturalism creates a shock of cultures and Sweden happens
>>
>>72245308
Being fucking self-centered should be outright fucking forbidden. No constitution, no law should protect unprincipled and stupid behavior.
>>
>>72242213
If the audience cheers and claps then you're preaching (which is what Carlin did). If the audience is laughing and having a good time then you're a comedian.

Carlin's a shit comedian
>>
>>72242068
Sweden once again.

Why didn't he mention being an arab or a nigger. Does he think they are superior?
>>
>>72242068
What a cuck
>>
>>72245753
Out of curiosity, who are your favorite comedians?

Like, give me 3-5 you think are A++

I like Carlin, Pryor, Hedburg, Kinison, and shit on me if you will, but I've always loved Dennis Miller.

I also like Bill Hicks, but certainly not top 10 or even top 20. But to me, Carlin is right up there with Pryor.

Even if you hated his later stuff, most people feel like his early work was genius.
>>
>>72242068
I would be proud to have a large dick, and it's only genetics that determines it.

#HURDURBTFO/POL/
>>
>>72244963
>6'1
>not a manlet
>>
>>72242068
Then, by his logic, he doesnt understand how people can be proud over the fact that they're homosexual, or trans, or obese...

>LGBTQTYWXTGHPL BTFO TUMBLR ON SUICIDE WATCH
>>
>>72242068
I'm not proud of myself for the achievements of my ancestors, I'm proud of my ancestors for their achievement. I am responsible for the legacy of those achievements and I am proud of that responsibility.
>>
>>72246526
Post a chart, break a heart.
>>
File: Bust_a_deal_face_the_wheel.png (143 KB, 320x232) Image search: [Google]
Bust_a_deal_face_the_wheel.png
143 KB, 320x232
>>72247849
>>
File: 1419922899041.png (14 KB, 1324x137) Image search: [Google]
1419922899041.png
14 KB, 1324x137
He's right. There's no such thing as "great individuals" or "self-made men". People only succeed through luck, inheritance, genetics, privilege, and help of others. No one deserves to be praised for any of this. This is also why all pride is stupid, especially racial. It's also why racism or sexism is stupid.

The elimination of such undue praise will lead to a healthier society.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.