[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there actually a Sunni-Shia conflict that's been going
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: sunni_shia[1].jpg (43 KB, 498x352) Image search: [Google]
sunni_shia[1].jpg
43 KB, 498x352
Is there actually a Sunni-Shia conflict that's been going on for over a millennia, or is it all bullshit?

I always thought it was a no brainer, but the last time I looked into it there was numerous articles and papers which suggested the Sunni Shia conflict is in fact not a real thing, and just something people from the West seem to think.

But if that's true, why do so many conflict in the middle east have Sunnis on one side and Shia on the other?

I'm especially talking about a modern Sunni Shia conflict, not the ancient one that definitely existed. I guess I'm asking, is it still going on or is it really just regional politics with a dash of tribal warfare?
>>
>>72235421
There is, and we made the grave mistake of siding with the Sunnis
>>
>>72235421
Why do they keep blowing each other up all the time if it's not a thing?
>>
>>72235421
There's more to it than just sunni/shia shit, there are massive tribal and familial conflicts too, the whole region is a mess.
>>
>>72235421
Shia faction is supported/controlled by Iran, that want a muslim world free of non-muslim control.
Sunni faction is supported/controlled by Saudi Arabia, that have the support of US.

This conflict is half-truth, it's more about influence than religion, since the iranian shias do not persecute sunnis, but the Saudis sunnis persecute shias.

The sunnis is basically divided into jihadists and pro-Saudi countries, often both.
Shias are basically pro-Iran.

Then we have the secular or neutral countries like Iraq during the Sadam Hussein rule and the old Qadaffi's Lybia.
>>
>>72238973

so pic related i guess
>>
>>72235421
u rlly stupid ameriburger...OFC course there is...Shia-s can't forget the battle of Kerbala..and usually Shia practicers are populations abused by the Ottomans..so both being muslim..they had to be different to believe they are somehow different that's why they turned Sunni->Shia
>>
File: 1451338854864.png (263 KB, 800x675) Image search: [Google]
1451338854864.png
263 KB, 800x675
>>72235421
KARBALA KARBALA WE ARE COMÄ°NG REEEEE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSPgX3LiCOA
>>72240805
Its the other way around. Iran was the sunni stronghold until 500 years ago. Safawi Shahs worked really hard to convert the populace to Shia and it worked.

Ottomans persecuted migrant turks who were already converted to shia by the time they arrived to ottomanlands.
>>
It's not really a 100% continuous thing in history, but the divide and the resulting bloodshed are real. There are a couple of tidbits that complicate the picture a bit:
1. The Saudi conquests of the Muslim holy sites, combined with increasing Muslim pilgrimage rates thanks to air travel, have given their ultra-sectarian Wahhabi Sunnism a prestige it really didn't have before the late 20th century.
2. Iran's conversion to Shiism ony happened a few cetnuries ago, and it was in arge part about defying the Ottoman dynasty and undermining their claim to authority (the Ottoman emperors claimed to be caliphs and Shiism rejects the idea of a caliphate and disqualifies the Ottomans from leadership of the Islamic world for a few other reasons).
>>
>>72241039
Well i heard the defeat of the Persians by the Ottomans worked as an incentive to turn Persia to Shia.
>>
one word is the key to understanding this: Wahhabism

Google Adam Curtis' movie "Bitter Lake"
>>
>>72240604
>Iran wants a Muslim world with non-muslim control
AHAHHAHAHAGAGGAGAGAGHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAH
>>
>>72241604
Yea I watched that. Good shit. Export extremist so they don't fuck up your country... sounds like a solid idea. Chickens coming home to roast comes to mind.
>>
File: Arabia_1914.png (154 KB, 976x821) Image search: [Google]
Arabia_1914.png
154 KB, 976x821
>>72235421
It's real to a degree but it's mostly outside shitstirring. Sunnis and Shias fought early on but after that they've been peaceful for the most part. They recognize each other as Muslims and historically they have gotten along fairly well for the most part.

Big exception in recent history though. The British gave Arabia to the Sauds and the Sauds are Wahabbist. They used the prestige of the Hejaz, and that oil money, to spread Wahabbism far and wide, and Wahabbists, specifically, tend to have a problem with Shias (and only to a slightly lesser degree with other Sunnis as well.)

So yes, it's a real thing, but it's not just an unchangeable fact, it's mostly the result of specific recent events.
>>
>>72236647
How did we side up with the Sunnis? In Iraq the US installed a Shia government.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.