[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Obesity tax. Why isn't this a thing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 9
>>
It always piss me off that I pay the same price for a shirt in Medium while the fat fuck gets triple the fabric.
>>
I'm against any form of taxation.
>>
>>71988776
the healthcare aspect should piss you off more than a fucking walmart shirt
>>
>>7198846
because there's nothing wrong with obese people until you give them free healthcare
>>
>>71988776
Most stores charge more for fat clothes though....
>>
>>71988460
Because it's special kind of perverse to coerce people to do the right thing by threatening their property.
>>
>>71988460
Because most obese people are poor and the poor don't pay taxes anyway.

The wealthy got wealthy by not being lazy slobs.
>>
>>71988460
GENIUS!!!!
You have my vote
>>
>>71988460

I'm opposed to specialized taxes, especially when they are used as a social engineering.

If you need to tax let it be one flat, regressive tax for all.
>>
>>71989261
Honestly its no different to taxing tobacco and alcohol.

We shouldn't tax obese people though, just food that is empty calories, junk food.

We let the free market fix the obesity problem.
>>
>>71988460
Because I'm obese and never needed medical help for it, do you also want to tax weekend drinkers, smokers, people with disabilities etc.?
>>
>>71989412
>Honestly its no different to taxing tobacco and alcohol.
What's your point? Those are abhorrent taxes too.

Also, we shouldn't tax products either, because that's just coercing people to do the right thing by threatening their property with extra steps. You're trying to use the government to influence what kind of property they can have so that you can influence their ethics. It's bad.
>>
>>71989543
We already tax all of those, fuck this cunt.
>>
>>71989611
I completely agree that we should let people do what they want.

IF they pay for the consequences.

But when tax payers must then pay for their healthcare?

FUCK NO
>>
>>71989543

.....yet
>>
Our government taxes smokers out the ass for their bad habits, why not fat people? I agree with you OP
>>
>>71988460
I'm actually okay with this because it's eugenic in nature and helps pay for these same fatasses who are abusing our healthcare systems.

We can dock welfare benefits from people who are fat but don't have income.

And for the 0.01% of people who have a legitimate claim that they can't control their weight because of some weird disease we can make exceptions.

>>71989412
We already have excise taxes, the problem with doing it via sale is that a lot of healthy snacks fall under "empty calories" too.

If the carrot is a healthy body and the stick is getting taxed for being a fatass I don't see anybody but the dregs of society remaining fat. My health insurance gives me discounts and stuff for staying at a healthy BMI, I got a bunch of free shit from the program (new knife set) and I don't have to pay for my gym membership anymore.
>>
>>71989766

Sounds like a vicious spiral that can only end in tyranny....
>>
>>71989766
Having one bad thing doesn't justify having another bad thing. All you're ever justified in doing is getting rid of the bad thing.
>>
>>71989941
>i want to take risky behavior and let everyone else pay for it when it goes wrong

Nah cunt, this is bank bailout tier bullshit.
>>
>>71988460
I'm okay with this.
t. Mr. Skeletal
>>
>>71989766
In Australia, smokers already cover their "Health care burden" multiple times over. If your only argument for taxing tobacco users is the cost of health related issues then unfortunately you don't have much of an argument.
>>
>>71989924
>I already prepped the bull, might as well let him fuck my wife
I wish this fallacy would disappear.
>>
>>71990060
Yes i am satisfied that alcohol and tobacco is sufficiently taxed to offset the increased health care cost.

But obesity is not taxed in the same way as it should.
>>
File: 1348510290581.jpg (22 KB, 225x165) Image search: [Google]
1348510290581.jpg
22 KB, 225x165
>>71989941

If you are a shit driver you are seen as a risk and have to pay more for insurance. This insurance is mandatory.

If you are shit at taking care of yourself and become a fat fuck, why shouldn't you have to pay more because you are a higher risk?
>>
>>71988900
But how else are you going to pay that 620 billion dollar military bill every year that you love jerking off to?
>>
>>71990042

Wouldn't it just be more sensible to not make everyone else pay for it?

That sounds silly.
>>
Aren't we bringing in a sugar tax? I am not happy about it only it damages the Australian Sugar Industry. An obesity tax, or something like a reduced amount back from medicare, would force the gluttons to cop the bill.
>>
>>71990234

No, that's what I'm saying... you SHOULD have to pay more.

In the form of higher healthcare costs related to obesity.

A free market healthcare system would work that way just fine.
>>
>>71990296
>Wouldn't it just be more sensible to not make everyone else pay for it?
I agree
But muh obama care

If there is going to be socialized health care, then there should be taxation to offset the tax burden from risky unnecessary behaviors.
>>
>>71988460
You already have to pay more tax when you are buying more food.
>>
>>71988900
Don't worry. One day your testicles will drop and you'll be a big boy.
>>
File: D0xku2d.jpg (40 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
D0xku2d.jpg
40 KB, 600x450
>>71990560

dude you are all over the place in this thread. Think about what your idea is before spewing bullshit.
>>
>>71990131
Tobacco is over taxed though, current taxation rates are completely unnecessary and just takes advantage of a very real addiction smokers have. The point I was going to make was that I smoked for four years and haven't had any negative consequences from smoking so why did I have to pay all the extra tax even though my smoking didn't have any impact on healthcare?

The same argument can be used against taxing "Fat foods" I regularly go to the gym and am in good shape, but I also eat fast food. Why should I have to pay an "Obese tax" even though I'm 10% bodyfat?
>>
>>71990788
>Tobacco is over taxed though, current taxation rates are completely unnecessary and just takes advantage of a very real addiction smokers have
>addiction
Tough shit, just quit.

>why did I have to pay all the extra tax even though my smoking didn't have any impact on healthcare?
Why the fuck do you even smoke?
Are you retarded?
The government is saving you from yourself.

>Why should I have to pay an "Obese tax" even though I'm 10% bodyfat?
You can consider foods that are empty calories as a luxury item.
Hence a luxury tax.

Also i sincerely doubt you are 10% body fat you faggot.
>>
>>71988900
autism
>>
What about a tax break for those that stay healthy?
>>
>>71990772

What the fuck are you talking about... I've been consistently arguing against taxes on behavior and advocating a free market solution.

Are you drunk? Or is this what you call a logical argument?
>>
File: Ancap-blackflag.png (138 KB, 400x500) Image search: [Google]
Ancap-blackflag.png
138 KB, 400x500
>>71988460
Nah senpai fuck alla dem taxes.
>>
File: fatty2.jpg (161 KB, 660x530) Image search: [Google]
fatty2.jpg
161 KB, 660x530
>>71990560
An Obese society is not militarily prepared. Fatties should just fucking deal with a Soda tax.
>>
>>71988460
Because anyone can become fat, also putting a bright line on what "fat" is could cause problems
>>
>>71991284
>Approximately 71% of the 34 million 17-to-24-year-olds in the U.S. would not qualify for military service because of reasons related to health, physical appearance and educational background, according to the Pentagon.

>The ineligible typically includes those who are obese, those who lack a high school diploma or a GED, convicted felons, those taking prescription drugs for ADHD and those with certain tattoos and ear gauges, the Wall Street Journal reports, though some requirements can be waived.

http://time.com/2938158/youth-fail-to-qualify-military-service/
>>
>>71990974
I have already quit for six months, whether I had or not the Government still shouldn't be able to take advantage of peoples addictions.

I smoked because I wanted to, it never ended up hurting anybody including myself so why did I have to pay all the extra tax on them?
>Implying I need the Government to think for me

>Luxury tax
So we should tax every single item that isn't absolutely necessary for human survival because it's a "Luxury"?
>>
>>71991284

Or, I dunno, maybe just let fat people suffer the consequences of being fat.. dying off because they can't afford the health care costs.

Would help the gene pool tremendously.
>>
>>71988460
because it would mainly apply to minorities and as we all know by now
>das racist
and lefties would never touch it with a 20 foot pole now add something about only whites having to pay an additional tax and maybe only white males and you might pass it but thats just the fucked up world we live it.
>>
>>71991425
>So we should tax every single item that isn't absolutely necessary for human survival because it's a "Luxury"?
Only if you want society to pay for the consequences of your consumption of this item.

You have a right to do what you want to do with your body.
You don't have a right to force people to pay for the negative consequences of doing so.

In the case of socialized medicine, there is nothing wrong with taxing you for it to make up for it.
>>
>>71991791
For healthcare sure.

I don't advocate for anarchy of course.
We still need an army and other vital functions of government.
>>
File: brooce.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
brooce.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
>>71988460
>tax everything
>taxes are the answer
>more taxes pls
statists are bad people
>>
>>71989261

wow it's almost like that doesn't already happen!
>>
>>71988460
I'm a professional cowboy and I use catheters. Been cowboyin' for 25 years. I've had 14 broken bones, 2 concussions and a puncture lung. I know pain and I don't want any more of it. Especially when I cath.
>>
>>71990255
the military should really be able to pay for itself

there's so much free shit for us to take out there
>>
>>71991421
>tfw you're attention-deficit and fit
>working on biotech masters too

Somedays I wish there was a panacea, a captain america super soldier serum, to fix the human body's problems.
>>
>>71991671
>Only if you want society to pay for the consequences of your consumption of this item
Who gets to decide that though?
>You don't have a right to force people to pay for the negative consequences of doing so.
I never said I wanted to do that. I agree smokers should pay for the health costs they implicate, but currently the Government over taxes and exploits them for revenue raising.

My other point that you never answered was that, even though I never had any negative health consequences why did I have to pay extra tax to cover the supposed health consequences of smoking?
>>
An obesity tax would be too hard to feed to the general public.
What I think would be easier is forcing people to pay for healthcare if they themselves were responsible for their illness.
If you smoke and you get cancer you pay for a portion of your own treatment. If you're fat and you get knee problems you pay for a portion of your own treatment.
You can calculate how much they would have to pay so that your taxes aren't going to fat people, alcoholics and smokers. It would work the same as an obesity tax, but without a major backlash from the public.
>>
File: 1267765228220.jpg (13 KB, 423x418) Image search: [Google]
1267765228220.jpg
13 KB, 423x418
>>71992438

>too hard to feed
>>
>>71992196
>even though I never had any negative health consequences why did I have to pay extra tax to cover the supposed health consequences of smoking?

In other words
>why do i have to pay for compulsory third party vehicle insurance even though i never hit anyone in the last 4 years since i started driving
>>
>>71992583

Good point. Fuck compulsory auto insurance...
>>
>>71992438
Sort of like this. I guess whatever extra amount obese people put on healthy weighted people in healthcare costs, they now are the only ones to pay that amount.

However the real tricky part in this whole ordeal is defining what is "obese". Some people will claim that being overweight (not by much) is sufficient to be put into that category. Also it would have to work progressively with age, given that old people often are more sedentary than younger age groups. It can get messy real quick just like defining what "human life" is in the abortion debate or how much rich and poor people should pay in taxes. Too many people with differing viewpoints that nothing can get done.

I am however in favor of a height/weight requirement for graduation from high school and college. I worked out in a cadet/ROTC program in college (non-commission because of ADHD, several other cadets weren't commissioning either) and every semester we took a PFT and height/weight. Being physically fit makes you think clearly and quicker. I can tell how much better I thought back in college in comparison to now while I am working and in grad school. Even though I was more tired in college, I had a far better memory because exercise helped my brain (probably plays into the ADHD condition).

Also being fat is a disgrace both religiously and biologically. Your body is a temple and being fat ruins it. Being overweight is evolutionarily unfit and thus you should not get the chance to breed.
>>
>>71992583
You're making a bad comparison to try and prove your point. Third party insurance is compulsory to avoid someone else becoming disadvantaged due to my negligence. Nobody became disadvantaged from me smoking for four years and then quitting, try harder you nerd.
>>
>>71993020
Did you ever smoke at work or school, in a public place, where others had to pass by you?
>>
>>71993151
>At work, only on lunch breaks
>Yes people smelled my smoke

People smelling smoke doesn't justify making someone pay $25 for a packet of cigarettes.
>>
>>71989762
So you have increased taxs for people who actually live instead of survive?
>>
>>71993332
People go overboard and really don't want to get diagnosed with cancer. So they go to great lengths to mitigate carcinogenic sources.

Although you really should stop smoking. The tobacco/nicotinejew really needs to die. No sense paying for something that's going to very well create enormous expenses for you in the future.
>>
>>71988460
Oh man, Obamacare is basically a regressive tax on LESS obese people!
>>
>>71988460
Every country with nationalized health insurance should have it.
>>
>>71993534
I have been quit for six months now. Dare I say, I never actually affected anyone that wanted to mitigate their risk of cancer so vehemently. Based on that logic we should all pay emission taxes, carbon taxes, plastic taxes etc because they all affect the Earth and therefore affect us.
>>
>>71993020
>Third party insurance is compulsory to avoid someone else becoming disadvantaged due to my negligence
Just like potential additional health care burden risk

>Nobody became disadvantaged from me smoking for four years and then quitting
And when you quit smoking you stopped paying tobacco tax.
You paid proportional to the time you were undertaking this risky behavior.
>>
>>71989024
This. In general, the only reason degeneracy continues is because we have a system that actively attempts to underwrite the cost of it. It should surprise no those we describe as degenerate are, invariably, the groups who receive one form of welfare or another to support their practices.
>>
they already do "tax" them in the form of all the food they buy, the same way they "tax" smokers and drinkers.
>>
>>71993734
I'm pretty sure in some way (I could be wrong) the products that we get from companies already have said taxes lumped into their production costs. Plastic is slowly becoming the boogieman for more eco-friendly areas. Especially given the extra fear of BPA and xenoestrogens.

A few people are starting to realize that living a "paleo" lifestyle with modern technology is the best path for humans. It fits with our biology and is easy on the environment.
>>
>>71993847
>Just like potential additional health care burden risk
I am not advocating for no extra taxes placed onto tobacco products, I am pointing out that the Government has taken it overboard and exploits smokers. The tax on tobacco products could be reduced by half and smokers would still cover any health care cost they place upon the system. Why are you trying to defend that?
>>
File: 1419346554526.png (4 KB, 240x178) Image search: [Google]
1419346554526.png
4 KB, 240x178
stob obbressing me
>>
>>71994095
>I am pointing out that the Government has taken it overboard and exploits smokers
Just be glad the product wasn't outright banned like other drugs.
All revenue raised should go to hospitals though.
I don't really care if it's taxed out of existence, as long as it's not wasted on things unrelated to health care.

I'm defending it because its degenerate anyway.
>>
>>71994095
They figure that most people won't have the capability nor patience to count out the extra tax revenue on top of the necessary tobacco tax. Or its tax money that goes towards subsidies for the tobacco industry (powerful lobbying).
>>
>>71994075
> living a "paleo" lifestyle with modern technology is the best path for humans.

Paleo is retarded
>>
>>71994256
>I'm defending it because its degenerate anyway.
Waaaaa I don't like something Government punish them and take their money
>>
we need to encourage people to be obese, so that we can sell all those cheap fast foods and make profit
>>
>>71988460
Seriously, fuck off
fuck you
>>
File: asakura hinako.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
asakura hinako.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
I believe japan has this
>>
>>71994075
Crossfitters need to be shot.
>>
>>71994342
It is when meme crossshitters do it. It should be like the phrase, "don't eat anything your grandma couldn't eat when she was your age".

inb4 dick

>>71994436
It's for the better health of the society and the individuals in it. Although the govt should really crack down on how welfare recipients spend money on food. It's a fucking joke how a lot of them are fat as fuck, yet they claim to be poor. EBT cards and SNAP should not be allowed to buy anything not on a pre-approved list.

>>71994599
I agree see the top of my post.
>>
>>71988460

because restaurants, soft drink and junk food companies would flip out, you will see an avalanche of lobbying that will bury any notion of an "obesity tax" in to the ground
>>
>>71994557
what's the problem, fat roach?
>>
>>71989261
You mean like, ."hey next time I see you beating the shit out of your dog, I'm calling the cops ". Does that analogy suit you better?
>>
>>71990096
Only an Americuck would make this analogy.
>>
>>71994668
Sucks to suck. Fat tax would be like required immunizations for children. The herd is only as healthy as its weakest fatty.
>>
>>71994899

I think you missed the point.

Money talks, health is secondary, welcome to capitalism
>>
>>71994953
Yeah. Sad that it works out that way. And I'm not even in favor of universal healthcare peddled by berncucks. The people need to be fit and ready because they are the militia. That doesn't mean the genuine weak should be purged though. Everyone has a right to life.
>>
Fuck off George Osborne you cunt stop raising taxes on things you don't want people to have
>>
Posting this though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fISgKl8dB3M

Shame that such a program never got to spread across America.
>>
>>71988900
I'm a professional cowboy and I use catheters. Been cowboyin' for 25 years. I've had 14 broken bones, 2 concussions and a punctured lung. I know pain and I don't want any more of it. Especially when I cath.
>>
>>71988900
Thank you anarcho-capitalist for making everyone hate libertarianism.
>>
>>71988460
They would pass a bachelor's tax way before they would ever attempt a fat tax. You think women vote for muh vagina over a third of our country is fat as fuck and they will do anything to keep the mountain dew and insulin on tap. Our economy would be amazing if we could gas the boomer and the fatties. They cost soo god damn much in health care it's ridiculous.
>>
>>71988460

Because people want to actually get elected, chuckles.
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.