[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You can't argue that this is a bad idea
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37
File: image.jpg (398 KB, 1242x1229) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
398 KB, 1242x1229
You can't argue that this is a bad idea
>>
>>71978492
Will only work in cities where there is naturally enough rain and sunshine to make them grow. They will also make the sidewalks below absolutely filthy with rotten fruit
>>
>>71978492
Who the fuck is going to clean up the mess?
>>
I work for an urban redevelopment agency, the myth of "urban deserts" is exactly that, a myth. Poor city people do not want to eat nutritious or fresh food, they want the fried shit they always eat. They don't want fresh fruit they want gallons of high fructose corn syrup and red dye
>>
>rotten fruit on the ground attracting flies is what a city needs

lol
>>
>>71978492
Somewhere already tried that, rotten fruit everywhere and the homeless started selling it I think, it was that or they started throwing it at each other.
>>
>>71978492
>Implying homeless people would eat healthy
Grocery stores through out plenty of edible produce after is prone but homeless people choose to rummage through garbage cans outside of fastfood places
Sorces:Ah seen it
>>
>>71978492
>le homeless want food meme

Unless by "fruit" they mean illegal drugs.
>>
>>71978492
What is stopping people from harvesting the fruit early then selling them to said homeless for sexual favors?
>>
Growing fruit is not some trivial fucking thing.
>>
people will just try to pick all the fruits and sell them for profit
>>
>>71978492

>Fruit trees always produce in all environments

More r-selected free resource bullshit.
>>
When I saw this picture I thought of the berry tree in my grandmothers front yard. The thing died years ago, but the sidewalks still bear the stain of when it was still there.
>>
>>71978492
Have fun with shitloads of ants/wasps/hornets.
>>
City dirt is disgusting. It's full of motor oil, antifreeze and other nasty shit.
>>
>>71978707
kys
>>
>>71978492
Fruit trees don't produce too many fruits, some won't even produce at all, if not tended to. And by tended to, it means watered in the right proportions, having the right terrain, etc, so right off the bat, this would be a bad idea if you want to make it as resource efficient as possible, since you already have to have someone tending to them and using up resources to make them useful.

If you did manage to make them useful, you still have the problem that lots of these fruits won't be picked up, or fall and rot there, making the street unclean and smelly.

You can't stop someone from just going there and harvesting all of the fruit from himself. If you have the right to take away even one for free, you have a right to them all, therefore, you can't stop people from doing this.

There's probably even more reasons I can't think of right now, I'm too tired. I even remembered something else and forgot. This is simply not feasible, and not worth it in the least.
>>
File: Pears (1).jpg (132 KB, 640x975) Image search: [Google]
Pears (1).jpg
132 KB, 640x975
>>71978492
near my uni there is a lot of frutal trees, they are a fucking mess
no one pick the fruits who fall on the ground and sometimes the trees grow so tall you need a ladder to pick it up
is a good idea, but in reality is just way too complicated
>>
File: victory garden.jpg (99 KB, 300x354) Image search: [Google]
victory garden.jpg
99 KB, 300x354
>tfw I want to buy a large tract of land in the city and turn it into public garden filled with fruit trees, bushes, and edible perennials, then leave it to some kind of trust after I die so it can be maintained for future generations
>>
>>71978492
Also add others have said in like 99% of places the fruit won't just grow without care. Specific pruning, fert schedule, insecticides etc. Fruit on ground, mexicans picking it all for extended family (see this all the time with lychees, lo quays and mangoes here lol) tragedy of the commons and whatnot
>>
>>71978492
>Doesn't understand tragedy of the commons
Some opportunistic fucktard is going to sweep the trees daily and sell the fruits.
>>
>>71978696
Oh yea, that reminded me what I was thinking of.

Fruit trees attract animals. Lots of them, and of multiple kinds. Fruits will attract lots of birds and other insects. Rotten fruit on the ground will attract even more insects, particularly flies. Very soon, you'd have a dirty street, full of all sorts of animals that most human beings don't fancy being around.
>>
>>71978492
Sounds good in theory, guess many anons are saying it's not so good in practice.
>>
File: peach-orchard.jpg (1 MB, 2896x1944) Image search: [Google]
peach-orchard.jpg
1 MB, 2896x1944
>>71978935
>and sometimes the trees grow so tall you need a ladder to pick it up

Grow some dwarf fruit trees. That's what many orchards do.
>>
So let's say a city decides to plant fruit trees for this reason:

>They don't produce fruit because they aren't being maintained well enough - regular trimming like most city trees isn't enough.
>They don't produce a good yield because they're choked by oil and other fun stuff that gets all over the sidewalks, so hardier plants need to be planted.
>Insects infest the trees, so now pesticides have to be applied.
>bleeding heart liberals protest the use of pesticides, so the city stops
>the trees are now useless
>>
>>71978581
Who the hell walks on sidewalks anyway? Move out of moms basement and get your drivers license and a car already
>>
>>71978492
The homeless dont want food dumb nigger they want cash for booze. Youre fucking naive as fuck
>>
Even if you were homeless would you really want to eat fruit from a tree that has been sucking up water and air full of all kinds of shit produced by cars and near by factories? They already breath that shit in daily.
>>
>>71978492
Incentivizing homelessness is a bad idea sorry to break it to you leaf
>>
Spics would just harvest everything before anyone else could get to it
Also fruit trees aren't hardy enough for city environments, and are hard enough to upkeep and keep the bearing quality fruit in rural settings
>>
>>71978492

but i need them to have gmo's for my daily estrogen intake
>>
>>71979093
I bet you would drive to the gym.
>>
>>71978492

Yeah. Only the homeless will be picking those up lol.
>>
>>71978492
t. someone who's never lived in a city
>>
>>71978492
Who will prune them?
Who will put fly traps on them?
Who will stop people from picking all of them?
How will you pay for them? Fruit trees are at least $300 a sapling
>>
>>71978492
They would just ferment it into booze, or few of them would raid trees and then try to sell it.
>>
Gardening is one of the most redpilled, alpha activities you can do.
>>
File: orange.jpg (28 KB, 264x400) Image search: [Google]
orange.jpg
28 KB, 264x400
>>71979150
LOL. "I gih yoo two for fai senior"
>>
>>71978492

You want to add more fiber to the homeless diet?

Have fun with all that diarrhea.
>>
>>71978492
There are people on my street who own a fruit tree near the sidewalk.

Long story short: the fruit falls to the ground and makes a colossal mess no one cleans up.
>>
>>71978492
Actually it kind of is.

There's a reason why homeless shelters exist.
>>
>>71979044
>the trees are now useless

Then the bleeding heart liberals complain that the government didn't do enough to make sure the project was successful.
>>
File: IMG_20150522_160456.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150522_160456.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
>>71979291
muh nigga
>>
File: 1390172790689.jpg (71 KB, 688x688) Image search: [Google]
1390172790689.jpg
71 KB, 688x688
>>71979093
>Driving everywhere you go
That's our meme m8.
>>
>>71978678
This sadly
>>
>>71979128
So it could work if the city also banned cars. We have a plan, folks.
>>
>>71979187
When the gym is halfway across town yes

You big big city people have your nice little bubbles of everything being 2 blocks away but it's 45 min one way to the nearest useful store on foot bit only around 15 min driving. Walking everywhere takes up time and I don't have shit tons of time to waste like that
>>
>>71979227
More like someone who's never lived in a rural area. Clearly has no fucking clue how to deal with fruit trees, much less the stuff that comes with them.

Typical liberal shit, living confined to their flats in major cities, and never having even so much as visited any place where food is actually produced. The only place these people ever see food in besides at home or restaurant, is the place where they buy it.
>>
>>71978492
Fruit trees attract pests like rodents and insects, they also drop fruit everywhere which then rots.
>>
m8, I go to a missionary kitchen that feeds homeless, they literally throw away food because the homeless are ACTUALLY PICKY about the free food they're being given

I just went today and the garbage can was full of food they didn't finish or want to take with them or didn't like. And it was LITERALLY rice+chicken+hamsandwich+CAKE/COOKIES, just stuff that is generally savory and tasty.

You think they would eat fruit, which isn't being grown in good soil and is being bombarded with vehicle exhaust all year? Do you also not realize that fruits are seasonal, so they will generally grow and ripen at certain times, where they are then edible, and the rest of the time they are inedible because they are rotten or growing?

Absolutely retarded garbage.
>>
>>71978492
all deciduous trees should be replaced with either evergreens or fruit bearing trees if they are not fruit bearing or nut bearing deciduous trees

not for the homeless specifically but all of humanity. better year round oxygen levels with ever greens and more land counted as farm land with fruit trees.

fuck oaks right in their asses
>>
>>71979150
This so much. I used to frame houses and on one job site there was a beautiful Japanese plum tree. The crew i was on would all go have a piece every few days. One day the Mexican drywall crew shows up to start work. The tree was picked clean within 5 minutes of their arrival.
>>
>>71978492
As someone who has an orange tree and loves fresh oranges this is a bad idea. Here's why

1. Oranges are warm as fuck during the summer and taste bad
2. After peeling and orange you'll have to be standing next to a sink because you got all that sticky orange juice on your fingers
3. If nobody eats the warm oranges they'll drop will rot around the tree and flies will be there
4. Never happened to me but i know kids will be little faggots and throw oranges at people or on the street just to be shitty
5. Orange peels all over a 1 mile radius
6. Homeless people wont eat them they rather buy McDonalds off the dollar menu
7. Animals will piss and shit near the tree and people wont want to eat the oranges near the turd
That said you can pull this off if you have someone picking the oranges and placing them in a sort of public and well managed refrigerator perhaps in a gated community or somewhere hipsters / hippies live at so long as you hire 1 mexican to clean up the rotting oranages and make sure kids dont fuck with it.
>>
>>71978492
>go around injecting fruits with lethal biological agents and poisons cyanide

WEW LAD
>>
>>71978492
>implying poor people deserve food.
>>
i can imagine a bunch of mexican families with their children in the center dividers picking fruit then selling it on the side of the freeway. All the while leaving trash wherever they were picking fruit and standing to sell them.
>>
File: 1461471027930.jpg (77 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1461471027930.jpg
77 KB, 600x800
>>71978678
>"urban deserts
wonder if its due to the pleasure that high caloric foods give humans. Eating healthy is an exercise in deferred gratification
>>
>>71978492
TRAGEDY OF THE COMMONS
>>
>>71979391
>banned cars

Ill then proceed to buy a horse and ride it everywhere allowing it to shit in the street.

Maybe here's a solution for jobs. Have everyone ride horse again so people can be employed picking up all the shit which can in turn be used as fertilizer for the trees
>>
>>71978492
Niggers steal water what do you think they would do to actual food?
>>
>>71979526
>One day the Mexican drywall crew shows up to start work. The tree was picked clean within 5 minutes of their arrival.

That's what happens when you train Mexicans to be fruit-picking machines for decades.
>>
>>71978948
You could get away with that in Canada. But here it would turn into a homeless camp full of niggers slangin dope.
>>
just plant kudzu, and force the homeless to eat the roots. they're highly nutritious and are theoretically capable of actually growing on mars. it takes very little effort to plant a large kudzu garden.
>>
>>71978707
I work in a grocery store. Our organics dumpster is literally locked up and we throw away enough food for hundreds of people daily. It sickens me to throw away entire pizzas and not even I can take it home for free, god forbid a starving homeless person
>>
>>71978492
The stupidest shit.

Fruit trees are more delicate thzn other trees. They need care from a farmer not some bureaocrat. Also the earth under sidewalks is poor as fuck since there's no bacteria to make good soil to grow.
>>
File: 1358839960027.jpg (136 KB, 422x422) Image search: [Google]
1358839960027.jpg
136 KB, 422x422
>>71978492
fruit trees attract a considerable amount of insect life and nuisance animals. they are a liability should someone become ill from their presence. Therefore difficult to insure and costly to maintain.

I think instead of feeding the homeless, we should burn them to heat our homes instead. there you go, I just solved the energy crisis.
>>
>>71979492
Yea you would be hard pressed to find a homeless person in america who is actually starving. Most of them are very mentally ill, but I kinda wonder if some of the others are just homeless because they don't mind it
>>
>>71979640

lol

>>they reacted through training before they knew what they were doing
>>
>>71979640
It was one tree though, it's not like there was an orchard of them. Really turned me off on the Mexican construction crews. And they used to stand on the toilet seat in the porta johns. I can understand hovering, I hover. But standing on the fucking seat?
>>
>>71978492
We have this in Mexico in the city of guadalajara.

Every other tree is some kind of fruit tree.
Kids climb the trees and throw fruit at each other and the rest just fall and rot.

Nobody cares and it's not like you can survive by just walking around all day and trying to find fruit.
They don't grow year round anyways, so you'd be fucked for half the year either way.

Sidewalks and streets also get really messy and birds and insect get to the fruit eay nefore people do.
A friend of mine once bit into an apple and it had 3 worms in it.

This is typical leftist hippie wishful thinking.
It's never been thought out or planned fully.
It's just a dumb idea that they think of in five minutes and they parade it like it's going to solve the worlds problems once and for all.

HURR, WHY NOT REPLACE STREETS WITH FIELDS TO PLANT FOOD AND USE OUR OWN SHIT TO FERTILIZE THEM WHILE WE'RE AT IT
>>
The romans planted olive trees along all thier roads so that they could absorb the water near the roads and increase the value of the land by the road
>>
>>71979791
The bums eating the fruit can just drop trow and shit on the trees to fertilize them.
>>
>>71978492
It isn't as good as it sounds. My city has a lot of lulos, almonds and Eugenia cherries but almost nobody eats them. Most people don't even know they can't eat them. I brother said he saw some hobos eating cherries once, though.
>>
>>71978492
>spray trees with toxic pesticide
>homeless eat the fruits and die
>no more homeless
genius
>>
>>71978492
That's a terrible idea. A considerable amount of that fruit will spoil and make a mess and attract flies.
>>
>>71979398
So let me get this straight:

You're bitching about cities, which are designed to have a lot of different businesses in close proximity, having a lot of different businesses in close proximity? And you're angry that someone mentions that rotten fruit on the sidewalk of a city would be a mess when the entire thread is about putting fruit trees in cities?

Are you retarded?
>>
>>71979914
They would need to dig under the sidewalk and replace that soil too.

Dude, trees roots go everywhere and trees do like shit when soil around them is dead.
>>
>>71979398
So now its because I'm living in the big city, not my mums basement, that I'm using the pavement?

You sound more like a retard with every post.

Face the facts. If you don't live within comfortable walking distance of something worth visiting you live in a shit location. No shame in that, we all have to live somewhere and we can't all have the best homes. But when you say stupid stuff like
>Who the hell walks on sidewalks anyway? Move out of moms basement and get your drivers license and a car already
You have forgotten about everyone who lives within walking distance of a pub, or shop, or any other useful place. It makes you look stupid and by extension your country look stupid. Don't do it.

>Walking everywhere takes up time and I don't have shit tons of time to waste like that
Spoken like a true fatty.
>>
>>71978492
>I want free food but let's say it will help the homeless or something so people support it.
>>
>>71979391
Maybe, lol.

My neighbor here in Bangkok has 2 mango trees that are about 20 years old and they usually only produce about 2-3 mangoes a year.

I've also tried to plant different kinds of vegetables in pots that I've fertilized and watered similar to what I would have done in the states. The yield has been so horrible it's not even worth the time.

The only thing I've been able to grow with reasonable results in this city is lemon grass.

Decorative non-flowering plants do fine, but any flowering plant, decorative or for food purposes dont do too well.
>>
>>71978492
And they can break off branches to burn in their rusty barrels too.
>>
>>71979755
Oh shiiiiit that does suck. I've known people around here who score loads of food either for chickens rabbits or just compost. One even said they were allowed to cart away as much stale bakery stuff as they want for their pig. Said it was the most obese hog they ever slaughtered lol. Guess each region/store has its own policies
>>
>>71978492
More rotting fruit = more vermin
Means the quality of life is degraded in the city.
>>
>>71978492
>Force people to work
>You can't argue that this is a bad idea
>>
>>71979377
Is that your plant? Do you water it at night or early morning? If you water at night that looks like powdery mildew.
>>
>>71978623
>not having mexicans harvesting them
do you even farm?
>>
>>71979093
I know this is hard to understand for a leaf with no cities in his country, but here in the US people in cities prefer to walk as traffic is too bad to drive.
>>
>>71978492
Why would I want my city to attract more homeless?
>>
File: image.png (15 KB, 501x585) Image search: [Google]
image.png
15 KB, 501x585
>>71980023
It's ein genius idea hahahahaha. So wunderbar will be their deaths. May I sughest zhat you shpray those trees with zyklon B. It's ein amazhing pesticide in do can guarantee it will do its job vhell
>>
>>71978948
>implying it wont be turned into a weedfarm instead
>>
>>71978623

This is exactly why we don't do this. There would be rotting fruit all over the fucking place. Guess what, homeless people aren't starving. There are soup kitchens and shelters and charities everywhere. What they need is psychiatric help and heroin.
>>
>>71979377

Dude, someone ejaculated on your plants.
>>
>>71978623
Pay some NEET minimum wage to clean up after them, everybody wins.
>>
File: 1457150921886.png (194 KB, 200x247) Image search: [Google]
1457150921886.png
194 KB, 200x247
>>71979747
>>71979747
>plant kudzu
>liberal shitholes become desperate jungles of kudzu despair
I love it.
GAfag?
>>
>>71980309
>people prefer to walk
>too much traffic

Literally how?
>>
>>71979322
Same here, rotten fruit everywhere, and by the way overripe fruit literally explodes and spurts juices like a huge cumming dick when it pops off the branch.
Beetles and wasps and worms also then lure huge Asian centipedes
Fruit rot debris covers everything and can't be scrubbed off easily.
>>
>>71978492
Yes I can. Anything else in the entire world that doesn't feed itself DIES. Stop keeping those scum alive.
>>
>>71978492
In Sacramento it is illegal to pick and eat the oranges from the trees at the capitol grounds
>>
File: tmp_14563-200_s131719747.gif (82 KB, 400x200) Image search: [Google]
tmp_14563-200_s131719747.gif
82 KB, 400x200
>dem froot tree pogramzz
Plant them behind the cannabis hedge with a poppy border, for nice layered effect.
>>
File: VPg8ATR.jpg (78 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
VPg8ATR.jpg
78 KB, 640x640
>>71980309

>no one drives, there's too much traffic
>>
>>71978492
sounds like a good way to attract rats
>>
>>71980309
>prefer to walk

Is traffic really that shit there? I feel bad for you guys now

Is it just that the roads are inadequate and poorly designed? Or just so many being in 1 place?

I think sometimes it's an advantage having a lower population. Less crowded cities and less useless welfare drags and degenerates to feed
>>
>>71978492
I like this idea in general.
FUCK TULIPS YOU FAGGOTS,
BROCCOLI IS DELICIOUS! ! !
>>
I think it would be feasible if we just hired more street cleaners to go around and sweep up all the dead shit before it attracts too many bugs.

Hire slightly-above-minimum-wage street sweeper for every block, and just have them get the trash taken care of. It would be cheap, efficient, and they would be able to pick fruit to eat while on the job. Plus it would make the city look nicer in places. I live in Arizona, and most of our cities have plants everywhere to brighten up the place. Granted, it's mostly trees and cacti, but still.
>>
File: IMG_20150614_171817.jpg (644 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150614_171817.jpg
644 KB, 2592x1944
>>71980277
That was last summer, watered during the day.
They produced a fuck ton though
Okra that was planted didn't produce anything for some reason, bummer.
>>
>>71979043
Chileans are 1.60 mt on average lad
>>
>>71978492
Rotting fruit on your street. It'll be great I'm sure
>>
I'd apply for a job, eat an orange, get sick, miss the interview, and sue the city.
>>
>>71980462

despair?

kudzu is a symbol of thriving prosperity. kudzu is green and beautiful. kudzu can convert a barren wasteland to a lush eden. kudzu is paradise. kudzu is nutritious. kudzu gives, and kudzu takes away.

kudzu is virility, kudzu is fertility, kudzu is love, kudzu is life.
>>
>>71980480
Taxi's, bus', shipping, public utilities it isn't rocket science.
>>
>>71978492
Botanist here
1. Sidewalks have shitty soil so fruit trees will never grow big enough to produce enough fruit for one person

2. Cities have too little sunlight and constant traffic in major cities like New York and LA would be incredibly damaging to the trees

3. With all that concrete there would be way too much standing water and you'd get root rot and/or fungal infections.
>>
File: images (52).jpg (19 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
images (52).jpg
19 KB, 443x332
>>71978492

And then the street is full of fucking rotten fruit AND homeless people.

Pic related should replace trees.
>>
File: broken-judge-hammer-24500878.jpg (136 KB, 1093x663) Image search: [Google]
broken-judge-hammer-24500878.jpg
136 KB, 1093x663
>>71979291
Agreed
>>
>>71980855
>botanist
why dont you get a real job you puny faggot?
>>
>>71980855

also, tree roots will destroy all concrete in the area. or the tree will die. one of those two things would happen. wouldn't have this problem with kudzu.
>>
>>71980679
It is population we have about the population of an entire province of Canada in one city so just imagine how dense it is.
>>
>>71980884
what about the idea in general?
>>
>>71978492
This would just bring more homeless people to your city. It's a horrible fucking idea
>>
>>71980914
I work for a seed company as a wheat breeder, thanks for playing.
>>
>>71980884

people who bitch about these have never had to deal with the homeless, working downtown in the morning.

A friend is an insurance broker at a downtown office, and it's not unusual to step over garbage and human shit to get into the front door, if you're lucky enough that hobo joe has cleared out by 8am. They're wild fucking animals.
>>
>>71980749

Yeah. It's an awesome idea. I love streets filled with stray cats, rats and possums.

I love living in an open air garbage bin.
>>
>>71980492
That sounds terrible. Thank God my city has a shit ton of birds and it rains all the time so this is never a problem.
>>
File: kudzu-house-on-115.jpg (31 KB, 504x330) Image search: [Google]
kudzu-house-on-115.jpg
31 KB, 504x330
>>71980840
>kudzu is life
It turns diverse forests into deserts of green viney shit and kills trees
>>
>>71980855
River birches would be good. Just tell the homeless to man up and learn to eat wood.
>>
>>71978678
I think its mainly due to high Cal foods offer more bang for the buck in regards to basic survival i.e. not starving to death.
>>
>>71981018

i'm a baker, thanks for your fine work keeping my gluten levels in check.
>>
>>71980749
I've actually tried thinking how to make it work in the past, I figured under tree net funnel to a collection box would prevent the fruit from hitting ground and mostly stopping people taking too much for vandals etc. Then I'd Weither be allotted, donated, or sold and the proceeds got to maintenance costs and THEN homeless programs. Sell it direct at City farmers market as premium "local heirloom fruit" instead of wholesale might work well
>>
>>71980845
Those aren't enough to fill up roads. US folks hate walking.
>>
Dumbass naive children compose the entire Left-wing dynamic.
>>
>>71978724
This guy gets it. You'd have to spray pesticides and fertilize the soil if you want a decent yield. Diseases and pests would still find a way to ruin your shit.
>>
>>71978581
Cleaning up the rotten fruit would make a good job for the homeless. City can hire 'em to do tree maintenance. Then those individuals can go buy the McDonald's and fortified wine they'd rather have.
>>
>>71980855
Hey botanist bro can i grow a peach tree in my apartment if i get a big pot?
>>
I grow over 30 fruit trees on my property and it is a pain in the ass to maintain them. Weeding, watering, mulching, thinning, fertilizing, picking fruit. Not to mention that from planting date it can take over 2 years to see any fruit. Another majpr problem is rats, racoons, squirrels, deer, etc.

There were some hippies in san fran that grafted city ornamentals (fruit trees that flower but will not fruit) with fruiting varieties and the city had to cut trees down because of the spoilage.
>>
>>71978492
>Homeless steal all the fruit and try to sell them to you like gypsies
>Fruit rots and lands on the ground
>City smells worse
>FUCKING WASPS N SHIT COMING IN TO FUCK UP YOUR DAY
>>
>>71978492
Wow, I actually thought about this the other day.

Seriously, some people around me have fruit trees and most fruits just goes to waste, falling off or rotting in the tree.
>>
>>71978707
Stores lock their bins, and anyone caught trying to get into one is charged with trespassing. Source: ex-walmart employee.
>>
>>71978492
Niggers would take it all.
>>
>>71980943
Ya I can hardly bear to imagine. There are times of the day when most people are working and I have An appointment or something that I may only see 2-3 other cars out driving

I think countries need to start initiatives to spread their populations around. The cause of lots of cities problems and degenerate happenings seems to be overpopulation
>>
This thread reveals the pathetic side of /pol/.
And btw, fuck the homeless.
But fruit can be turned into booze and
'free' healthy veggies would be a NET POSITIVE for a society/community.
>>
>>71978696
at least the flies might shift from the homeless to the fruit.
>>
>>71980461
Why not use that money to just buy fucking food you dope?
>>
>>71981036

M8, I have to deal with a neighborhood containing "community housing".

It's just pure filth. Human shit EVERYWHERE, everything is chained down, barb wire on the fences, garabge and broken bottles everywhere, and 24/7 noise.

The "homeless" are literally garbage wrapped in human skin.

I'm sure in the U.S. it's different, but in the U.K. or Australia they are homeless because they are criminal drug addicts or alcoholics.
>>
>>71981173
Even if they're green.
Niggers will fuck them up in a couple of days.
>>
>>71978581
I don't know, even in California with the drought there are many fruit bareing trees. Though a lot of trees falling down
>>
>>71981154
You should make a deal with them and make booze out of the fruit.
>>
>>71981064
>>that picture

beauty.

kudzu seperates the weak from the strong. and all that is not kudzu is weak, all that is kudzu is strong. there is no redemption without kudzu; when a forest is become sanctified into the kudzu cathedral, it is become holy.

kudzu is the way, the truth, and the light. and there is no way to the father except through kudzu.
>>
>>71981064

Have a bunch of that stuff near my place. Looks pretty awesome but.
>>
>>71978581
>>71978623
>>71980440
>>71980461
It's bio-degradable, I don't see the problem of letting it rot on the street
>>
>>71978887
Ntm the dirt grime and dust that'll get ON the fruit. Requiring bleach solutions and detergents to clean off. Eating city fruit would be tantamount to eating shit off the ground in that environment.
>>
>>71979291
I agree but those yups bought and paid for that garden.

It seems useless to me when you spend more money to grow food than it takes to buy it-- defeats the purpose
>>
File: 1457230862040.jpg (56 KB, 676x720) Image search: [Google]
1457230862040.jpg
56 KB, 676x720
>>71980137

B A S E D

>>71979398

God, you are such a fucking faggot. Pls kill self.
>>
>>71981096

It's because they don't give a shit about their health. That's why they are drug addicts and alcoholics in the first place.
>>
>>71981054
We don't have them here :^)

The worst we'd get is scorpions, and everyone already carries around handguns wherever they go. Scorpion slayers are in high demand here, since you need at least a .45 round to kill the fuckers.
>>
Why on sidewalks? Just put them in the parks that the bums are sleeping in.
>>
>>71979356
>Then the bleeding heart liberals complain that the government didn't do enough to make sure the project was successful.

And then they complain some more about the city taxes they pay and demand to pay less
>>
>>71981129

>Homeless

>Working

What part of the concept of "unemployable drug addict" are you not grasping here?
>>
>>71981357
>It's bio-degradable, I don't see the problem of letting it rot on the street

That's because you're a fucking moron.
>>
>>71980309
We're one of the most driving-friendly western countries and one of the least pedestrian-friendly.
>>
>>71978948
Many of these exist. In the expensive, nice, trendy parts of town with heavy police presence and large fences with locked gates.
>>
>>71981357
Humans are bio degradable too, but we don't just have our dead out to rot.
>>
>>71978492
>fruit trees don't require constant maintence due to constant selective inbreeding
>>
>>71981173
>>71981279

They'd probably cut down the trees and douse them in gasoline for heat.
>>
>>71981319
Most are snow birds that aren't around plus it's getting hot, so I could probably just go out at night and pick all the fruit.
>>
>>71981357
It attracts wasps, rodents and all sorts of shit, smells atrocious and gets stuck to your shoes then you get to be followed by wasps all day
>>
>>71981413
I mean, just let it go, ese, it's in the domain of the scorpions now
>>
>>71981098
You're very welcome. When I did my PhD I was a Borlaug scholar and was more focused on pathogen resistance, and lower gluten levels were a side effect.

>>71981142
If you get a dwarf tree and a ridiculously huge pot you'll be able to get one, maybe two good fruits out of it. Trees require a lot of nutrients and confining it to just a pot likely won't yield any flowers.
>>
>>71981270
San Francisco, CA is the same as what ou say. The city has a miasma of piss and shit.

Great place.
>>
>fruit trees flower in spring
>bees come in to pollinate
>bees sting the fuck out of everyone
>eventually one hobo's pungent odor produces a potent bee pheromone
>hobo now controls bees
>takes over the entire city with his bee powers
>>
>>71981357

>I have no problem living around stinking messy garbage and rats

Good for you. You should be homeless. You'd love it.
>>
>>71978492
#1 tragedy of the commons. nobody would cultivate the trees since everybody would reap their fruit.

#2 the animals would just beat the people to the fruit anyway. Result? Rotten half-eaten fruit, and more pest animals.

You know a better idea? The Romans planted fig trees along their roads, and then gave the trees to retired soldiers to cultivate and profit from as they would. The cost? They had to also maintain the road and keep it free of vagrants.
>>
>>71981129
>t. window smashing Keynesian
>>
>>71979105
Unless aus abos that want the gas dream
>>
>>71981394
why don't they grow flowers in there, it's such a tiny front yard that makes your house ugly.
>>
>>71981357
yeah that teeming concrete insect life does a number on fruit

oh no wait no it doesn't
>>
>>71981446

What's the point?

They're fruit trees.

Not McDonald's, Meth, Heroin and Booze trees.

What interest do they hold for the homeless?
>>
File: Sweet C.jpg (172 KB, 1080x608) Image search: [Google]
Sweet C.jpg
172 KB, 1080x608
>>71981641
Sting him anyway.
>>
Grocery store manager here. I almost never catch the homeless stealing food....more like cortazone, glue, shoeshine polish and raw meat.
>>
>>71981650
He could just be from New York where shit like that's normal.
>>
>>71981774
>What interest do they hold for the homeless?

Free urinals.
>>
>>71981625

I live in Sydney which is a very similar city to San Fran, so I'm not surprised.
>>
File: 1461530620722-1.jpg (105 KB, 400x386) Image search: [Google]
1461530620722-1.jpg
105 KB, 400x386
>>71978492
Bretty good
>>
>>71981842

Former Grocery Store manager here. We lock the bins because the homeless steal discarded meat and try to resell it.
>>
>>71978492
Can a tree grow bricks? Then plant those fuckers on all the sidewalks in the worlds, they're for peasants and we're better off without them.
>>
>>71981693
how they get high with gasoline, do the put it in a fucking rag and sniff it or how they do it. I have smoked weed and hash but what the fuck with the gasoline.
>>
>>71981949

who in the fuck would buy meat from a homeless guy?
>>
File: 1461053687624.jpg (8 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1461053687624.jpg
8 KB, 200x200
>>71978492
>You can't argue that this is a bad idea

I don't have to argue against it, NIMBY's will do this for me.

Think about it. If these trees are planted all over the city, homeless people will begin frequenting the most wealthy, prosperous, and upscale parts of cities. When they do, the rich will object to their presence and will work to see that these trees are not placed anywhere the wealthy might go. Once this begins to take root, the homeless will then begin to crowd into middle-class areas, to which those in the middle-class will object. In turn, city councils will be pressured to eject these trees from middle-class areas.

This would go on and on, and the simple fact is that in nearly EVERY city in the country, the DEFAULT policy for dealing with the homeless is to squirrel them away out of sight and out of sound. The general population does not want to be confronted with human suffering, and does not want their health, safety, and welfare to be placed at risk by a predominately mentally-ill community of homeless subjects flooding their streets and neighborhoods. Such a worldview always plays out in city policies. Observe:

>90-year-old Florida man charged for feeding homeless people

>http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/04/justice/florida-feeding-homeless-charges/

>Arnold Abbott handed out four plates of food to homeless people in a South Florida park. Then police stopped the 90-year-old from serving up another bite.

>"An officer said, 'Drop that plate right now -- like I had a weapon,'" Abbott said.

>Recently, the city has also passed an ordinance limiting the storage of personal property in public, WPLG said. Then came the restrictions for food sharing.

>"The city passed an ordinance requiring us to have a Porta-Potty. It's ridiculous. The whole thing was designed to rid Fort Lauderdale of its homeless," Abbott said. "Police told me anyone who touches a pan ... anyone who is involved, will be arrested."

They want the homeless gone, not fed.
>>
>>71981516
Human corpses are biodegradable and India has been letting them rot on the street and in the rivers for 3000 years and they don't seem to have any problems
>>
>>71979561
this t b h
>>
>>71981997
Other homeless people
>>
>>71982009

>indianbirthdefects.jpg
>>
>not working
>thinking thou shalt eat
No
>>
>>71981997
Orientals
>>
>>71978581
>They will also make the sidewalks below absolutely filthy with rotten fruit
This might be a problem for disease (especially from rodents)

Though I wish we could churn out a way for homeless to eat (but we just haven't got the means without some repercussions.
>>
Kek at "fruit trees need maintenance". Have several apple trees near Moscow, literally do nothing, have around 120 kg of apples every summer (and there's much more, I just don't bother climbing to the top and taking apples from there). It's also possible to find an apple tree in Moscow, and they give okay-tier fruit.
>>
>>71981602
Shit. What about cherries or grapes?
>>
>>71981966

Inhale it.

"Huffing".

Abos call petrol "sniff".

Just put it in a cut in half coke bottle and cup your mouth and nostrils and Inhale the fumes.
>>
File: RussianHumor.jpg (78 KB, 594x436) Image search: [Google]
RussianHumor.jpg
78 KB, 594x436
>>71981394
The idea is sustained crop yields. You only clip the fruit/veg from the plant and grab more when more grow. Only grain crops get the full chop treatment.

Also have you seen fruit veg prices recently? Non organic non prepped or frenched Green beans 7 bucks a lb. Literally today. Insane. But I could get store brand half fake noodles for a dollar a pound plus bogo sale on em. If you know how to cook and shop LQ meat.and starch is cheap and plentiful but decent veg that isn't iceberg/romaine lettuce can get expensive.

Brassicha lover for life here.
>>
>>71979398
>You big big city people have your nice little bubbles of everything being 2 blocks away but it's 45 min one way to the nearest useful store on foot bit only around 15 min driving.
Literally a small sparsely populated city here. I agree with the other anon. Walk you lazy bastard.

Sloth is a sin.
>>
>>71981997

Old people/Asians mostly. Give it a smell and then chow down. They also lie and claim they shoplifted it, or mix it with their shoplifted stock.
>>
>>71982009

>Literally a country where the U.N. spends hundreds of millions of dollars a year trying to teach them basic hygiene to prevent the spread of diseases.
>>
>>71981096
Given the rate of obesity of people on food stamps, I don't think cost/calorie is the issue....
>>
>>71980679

Or maybe they just like to walk because they're HUMAN BEINGS AND NOT FAT TUBS OF SHIT WHO NEED A METAL CONTRAPTION TO GO EVERYWHERE YOU GODDAMN MAPLE CUNT
>>
>>71982148
I drive motorcycles and fix my own bikes and my relatives, i'm the mechanic in the family and always have gasoline here and i don't get a buzz from that. I guess i have to try the abbo's poison of choice now.
>>
>>71981774

Since when are the homeless only capable of eating fast food?
>>
File: 8364364334.jpg (98 KB, 441x503) Image search: [Google]
8364364334.jpg
98 KB, 441x503
>>71978492
Kek, this is what will happen. The trees will be picked bare year round and crack heads/spics will be selling them on highway exit ramps.
>>
>>71979755
>Our organics dumpster is literally locked up

That's just evil. The poor hipsters. Spent all their paychecks on records and vintage clothing and not they gotta starve too.
>>
>>71982101

It's called the fucking dole and FREE food services.

They eat fine. They'd eat better if they didn't spend any money they manage to get on ice and goon.
>>
>>71982352

Mosy petrol now is fixed to stop people from doing this.
>>
>>71982331
People on food stamps rarely have the incentives to work after they get them. Food stamps are by no means supposed to cover all food costs. Indeed, they're supposed to be a supplemental aid, but that doesn't stop retards from buying canned or frozen food and McDonalds.
>>
>>71981842
>>71981949
So if someone did try to steal food because they were hungry, would you let them go?
>>
>>71978492
>what is Rhodesia
>what is the Aztec empire

Its not a bad idea at all it has already existed
but monsato would get jelly that you will grow natural foods that wont make your man tits grow like a trap
>>
File: shots fired.jpg (24 KB, 720x486) Image search: [Google]
shots fired.jpg
24 KB, 720x486
>>71980799
>>
>>71982387

What doe their capability have to do with their preferences?

Homeless people can get free fruit and nutrious meals whenever they want.

They want drugs, alchol and McDonald's instead.
>>
>>71982101
Bulk staples are cheap corn is like $4 a bushel (55lbs) soybeans 9 (60lbs) idk standars rice and beans but I'm sure some liberal nonprofit could but wholesale and start turning out "hobo chow" with supplemented veggies if they really wanted but charities spend a huge amount on administration and unnecessities
>>
File: Columbia.jpg (586 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Columbia.jpg
586 KB, 600x600
>>71978492
Starving in this country is literally impossible if you aren't actively trying to do it.

Churches and the government will literally give you food for free. There's a reason that America is called the "Benevolent Empire."
>>
>>71982140
Some cherry trees will do fine in pots. Grapes aren't as bad as long as you keep them cut back, since they're a vine. I've grown grapes out of large pots before but not cherries. Regardless, you need to be very conscientious of your hardiness zone and what cultivar you're growing.
>>
>>71982000

Well, who actually wants their neighborhood to be flooded with predominantly mentally ill drug-addicts that urinate and defecate everywhere and live in trash heap encampments.
>>
Replace them with cyanide plants it would be cheaper and feed them year round and be an super tasty last meal
>>
>>71982500

No.

Just like I wouldn't let a child rapist go because he was horny.

Spend your fucking welfare (that we work to provide you with) on housing and food instead of meth and booze if you're cold and hungry.
>>
>>71982487
Even here? I'm going on a beer run later and there is a gas station in front i might get some gas to prove you wrong.
>>
>wanting fruit that grows on the side of busy roads
something tells me that fruit won't be very good
>>
>>71978492
that would only support people being homeless, why would you advocate for more homeless?
you fucking syrup nigger think before you speak
>>
What will happen when a gang of homeless people form a monopoly on all the fruit in a certain area? driving up violence as different groups may fight for ownership of trees.
>>
People really don't understand just how awful the fumes from cars actually are. If you have a garden on the side of the road you will have toxic shit in your fruit.
>>
>>71982570

Charities in all western countries more than adequately provide food for the homeless as do government services.

What part of "Drug Addict" don't you get?

They don't give a shit about eating. They give a shit about heroin/crack/ice
>>
>>71982688
Almond trees kick ass
>>
File: 35.png (157 KB, 282x298) Image search: [Google]
35.png
157 KB, 282x298
>>71982767
>>
>>71982801
It's like fucking jogging behind a fucking bus.
>>
>>71980210
>rats show up for the rotting fruit and bugs and shit
>bubonic plague follows
>plague outbreak
>half the city dies including all the liberals who kept stealing the homeless's fruit, and the homeless of course

Jolly good.

Captcha: Liberty Tree
>>
>>71982693

I'm not sure. I thought it was all or most modern gasoline.

You can use stuff like turps or metho though.
>>
>>71982494
The point is that poor people don't buy shitty food because they need a low cost/calorie. Most of them eat easily 3-4X what they need in a day. They could easily afford decent food if they didn't insist on eating so much god damn food.
>>
>>71978492
they will fill their homeless carts will apples and trade them for meth
>>
>>71982851
They guzzle trillions of gallons of water though. We need to improve our desalination techniques before we look into mass cultivation of almonds imo.
>>
>>71983015

Why can't we just grow salted almonds? That's what everyone wants anyway.
>>
>>71982898
Bats would likely be more of a problem, especially since they're much more aggressive and their shit fumes are more toxic.
>>
>>71982900
I use unleaded premium gasoline so that might be the one, i will get a couple of litters of the cheap leaded gas to see the difference.
>>
File: 1459288571401.png (260 KB, 563x542) Image search: [Google]
1459288571401.png
260 KB, 563x542
>>71983057
>>
>tfw lawn looks like shit and don't feel like mowing it

I hate gardening. So tedious, especially when having to trim the tall lane of bushes we have dividing our house from the negihbor's. Our lawn is overgrown though, so I'll have to do it sometime this week.
>>
>>71978492
>Homeless eat fruit
>Homeless snap branches off for fires in their metal trash cans
Yeah I don't think this will last long enough.
>>
>>71982828
Yeah I got suckered into the "starving firstworlders" meme. Briefly searched memory. Confirm I've never seen a malnourished hobo. My answer would apply to developing countries or the west 100 years ago
Souce:live in fl and tons of hobos because the rest of the east coast buys bus tickets to send the homeless here so they don't freeze
>>
>>71982387
I once had a homeless man ask me for some money for food. I told him I'd buy him a deli sandwich from inside the store he was begging at. He turned me down and said he wanted a pizza from the pizza hut across the street. I almost always offer to buy these asshats something somewhat healthy and they always turn me down hoping I'll buy them junk food instead. I once offered to buy a guy a weeks worth of groceries for his "starving" kids; chicken, rice, beans, fresh veggies, whatever. He turned me down and said they only like Burger King.
>>
>>71982686
I don't know what those last couple terms mean, but you gave me permission to grow grapes in my apartment. It's happening.
>>
>>71979596
average black twitter user
>>
>>71983284
Hardiness zones are basically stretches of the US with similar conditions that plants can grow in.

A cultivar is a specific line of a plant (ex: wine vs table grapes).
>>
>>71983276

Damn dude, what is anecdotal evidence?
>>
File: angry cat meow lolcat reaction.jpg (127 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
angry cat meow lolcat reaction.jpg
127 KB, 640x640
>>71981054
>I love streets filled with stray cats,
>>
>>71983276
>things that never happened
>>
>>71983471
I ALWAYS offer to buy them food and they ALWAYS turn me down. I have literally never had a begger actually accept anything I offered. These guys aren't starving, they're just lazy and picky. What kind of person would actually turn down a week of groceries if he had starving children at home?
>>
Replace them with coca plants and opium poppies.
>>
File: 1455849341873.jpg (53 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1455849341873.jpg
53 KB, 600x450
>>71983057
>salty nuts
>need cervesa
>homeless die of dehydration
Good plan
>>
>>71978492

>Implying that people won't just pick them and try to sell them for a buck or to. Or pick them to save money on groceries.

Some things always seems like a good idea, until you actually put some thought into why it won't work. It doesn't take much thought for this one.
>>
>>71983276
Yeah friends and family tell me similar stories all the time, I just try not to engage homeless
>>71978492
Daily reminder
http://www.ibtimes.com/how-much-do-panhandlers-make-new-york-city-homeless-man-earns-200-hour-sitting-2181312
I've heard reports saying $10-40 per hour. Obviously most don't do it ALL day but still, they can eat
>>
>>71983641
During the recovery after the Haitian earthquake, Haitians threw out nutritional "cookies" because cookies are for children
>>
>>71980003
>lulos

Huh, never heard of them before.

Now I want lulo juice.
>>
>>71983641

Still anecdotal evidence my man
>>
>>71978492
>not ever growing your own food

Yeah it is a good idea you should do it in canada so you can promote some plagues with fruitflies and save me time executing the worthless
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.