[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do so many other countries speak English but English people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7
File: image.png (1 MB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 750x1334
Why do so many other countries speak English but English people never learn another language?
Like why the fuck are there so many people from Russia and Sweden on here?
Practically no one in the USA knows another language
>>
Why should we, them all learning English proves us to be superior.
>>
>>71968783
>Practically no one in the USA knows another language

Thats because Americans are dumb fucks, stop associating English people with Americans, not all of us are brain dead hicks

t. Canadian who speaks 5 languages
>>
I know other language but i not english born i have move hear so now know two language to be with familly. :)
>>
They're proxies
>>
>>71968978
t. a fucking leaf
>>
>>71968783
Go to /int/ you dumb faggot.
>>
>>71968932
Maybe 20 years ago, but nowadays most English is spoken between non-native speakers.
I don't have any american friends, but I speak in English with Russians, French and even a Spaniard. For better or worse, English has been hijacked from the Anglo.
>>
>>71968978
The amount of languages you speak largely depends on what languages you are likely to need to speak.
Living in Europe, for example, makes it much easier to speak a ton of different languages.
>>
Do you really think the vast majority of Russians and Swedes are as educated and can speak English as well as the ones who post on here?
>>
>>71969201
>English has been hijacked from the Anglo
>unironically believing this

it was fucking imposed on the world and you beta cucks bowed and accepted it like the bitches you are. english will forever for earth's official language.
>>
>>71968783
English is modern lingua franca. Knowing it you can communicate with most people of importance.
>>
>>71969202
>tfw I live in Brampton

I didn't learn these languages for fun.
>>
English is widely thought to be the easiest language to learn unless thats shilling to keep America uneducated.
>>
>>71969677
I'm pretty sure french belived this as well.
>>
>>71968783
Fuck off Reddit.
>>
>>71969677

There have been various lingua francas, english is just one of many

mandarin is next, probably

>>71969599

Can't speak for Russia, but over 80% of Swedes have good knowledge of english
>>
>>71969202
English works in many countries, and we are obliged to learn it from 4th grade in Sweden.

Then we can later pick a third language. So I understand some German, but is not really fluent in it.
>>
>>71969677
Sure. I'm not disputing that.
The thing is, you're not powerful for being a native speaker now. You spread your language so much that there's no inherent worth to it, and instead you have far less power if you're monolingual.
>>
>>71969803
>>71969677
>>71968932
These all desu. If you will never need to speak a second language, that's time better spent working out, or enjoying free time doing leisure activities
>inb4 American can't into exercise
Fuck off I've dropped 20lbs since coming to /pol/
>>
/pol/ is satire. Everyone here is American. This is 4chan, not the UN.

You can change your flag in the options menu of the board.
>>
>>71968783
>Why do so many other countries speak English but English people never learn another language?
You already answered your question.
Everyone speaks English so we don't have to learn anything else.
Get with the program plebs.
>>
>>71968783
تعلمت اللغة العربية في القوة الجوية, قاتلني
>>
>>71969022
>I know other language but i not english born
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIwkPsUK8zY&bpctr=1461549877
>>
>>71968783

English is today's international language. It will be something else eventually.
>>
>>71968783

>Already know language used by billions.

>Waste years studying some language used by a few million...who already know my native tongue anyways.
>>
>>71971719
>sand runes
>>
File: 1458628986713.gif (1022 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1458628986713.gif
1022 KB, 480x360
>>71968783
I dare say English is an easy language.

After I get my title that certifies I am an English speaker for my work, I will attend other languages I have in queue.
>>
>>71971719
*تعلمت اللغة العربية أثناء خدمتي في القوات الجوية، قاتلوني
Because you're addressing all of us, not just one person
>>
File: 1461460921182.jpg (136 KB, 736x736) Image search: [Google]
1461460921182.jpg
136 KB, 736x736
>>71969201
That's a good thing, English is the lingua franca of the world.

Feels really fucking good. I love the words brown people add as well, it's fucking hilarious how bad people are at english, yet we can still understand them.
>>
File: 1445127446531.jpg (208 KB, 768x1112) Image search: [Google]
1445127446531.jpg
208 KB, 768x1112
>>71968783
because stupid ameriburgers are not able to learn another language unless its ebonics
>>
>>71968783
I live in the USA and I'm gonna spend most of my life in the USA

I have yet to meet anyone who could not understand atleast basic english

I have no need for another language why should I waste time learning one
>>
The fact that we don't need to learn any other languages is reflective of our status as the ruler of the world and its only superpower. The fact that other countries make fun of us for this is ironic.
>>
i amerifat, i know french, combien coute salope? Thats all I needed to know, that and du vine sil vous plait?
>>
>>71974206
Most educated Americans do know some other language, however. They just do not have to use it, so they forget what they knew.
>>
File: pupper.jpg (118 KB, 740x632) Image search: [Google]
pupper.jpg
118 KB, 740x632
>>71968783

>I speak English.

>Yo hablo Español, pero necesito estudiar mas.

And I hope to learn French soon; if anyone has any links to a good curriculum hook me up.

To answer your question OP, English is a very specialized language. Its closest links are in the Dutch language, which isn't large enough to be useful. Some countries like the Nordic ones are similar, and thus people learn their second language easily, and can translate that process into a harder 3rd.

Swedes with German.
Italians with Spanish.
Fins with Mongolian.
And Bulgarians with Russian.

English has few close relatives, and while sharing much vocabulary with French, Latin, Greek, and German; it does not attribute to pronunciation enough to be effective, and gives most English speakers a cardboard tongue.

Seriously though, anyone got a good French curriculum? I have no idea what order to learn things.
>>
File: asian consider.jpg (21 KB, 366x324) Image search: [Google]
asian consider.jpg
21 KB, 366x324
The thing is even at the height of French, Spanish, Latin, Middle Chinese, you name its influence, the common people wouldn't speak in a foreign language. There also weren't communications standards set up nearly to the level of the modern world, such as the internet requiring at least a cursory knowledge of English and international flight control outright requiring working knowledge of it. French came the closest in terms of use outside of its own sphere, but even then that was mainly between the elites.

The use of English by the common people of so many countries around the world is completely unprecedented. It's becoming increasingly common in countries with a high number of people who speak English as a second or third language to speak in English among each other.

English is also easily the most widespread language in terms of geographic spread of countries where it's the official or defacto language, and many of those countries are regional or global media powers. The world lives off of British and American pop culture, Bollywood is incredibly popular not just in India, but throughout South Asia and in other regions of the world, and Nigerian films are so popular in Africa that many Portuguese and French speaking African nations are trying to restrict their spread, as English is increasingly becoming the dominant language in those countries as well

Combine that with the massive populations of many English speaking countries, the financial centers of several English-speaking nations such as the UK and Singapore, and an unparalleled level of military reliance that other countries have on English-speaking nations. I think English could be dislodged eventually, but it would take either a very sudden shift in the entire structure of the world, or a long, long time.
>>
>>71968783
We don't learn different languages here because we're not surrounded by a bunch of different countries with different culture and languages. The only language I've really heard spoken in my state are English and French and that's cause we were owned by France at one point. I'm trying to learn French but it's harder when you're not constantly surrounded by it
>>
File: 474229.jpg (129 KB, 704x672) Image search: [Google]
474229.jpg
129 KB, 704x672
>>71968783
Video games.
All video games are either in english natively or translated to english.
>>
>>71968783
It's like trying to convert us to the metric system. It's not going to happen.
>>
>>71974795
First of all, everything you said was correct. I would also add that among the other influential languages you named (French, Spanish, Latin, Chinese), there has never been a language that enjoyed the sheer scope and power of influence that modern English has. It's become ingrained in the institutions of the modern world. I think it's more likely that English will evolve beyond recognition than that anything would conceivably replace it. After all, what could?

So with all this in mind, and the fact that America is huge with a similarly huge English-speaking neighbor to the north, it is ridiculous that foreigners- who diligently learned our language out of necessity- would criticize us for not learning a second language. For us it is totally unnecessary.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.