[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If a company refuses to provide a service should it be legal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8
File: 1461525312289.png (208 KB, 612x238) Image search: [Google]
1461525312289.png
208 KB, 612x238
If a company refuses to provide a service should it be legal for fans to offer it at no cost?
>>
>>71939336
No, because the fans didn't make the game assets and have zero legal right to offer those assets for free to other people.
>>
WoW is fucking dead, even if you make a legacy server you cant fully relive the past.
>>
>>71939624
Kronor has 4k waiting to play6 k on game and is launching a new server with no transfers wednesday
>>
File: 1460762326152.jpg (126 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1460762326152.jpg
126 KB, 1920x1080
>>71939336
Legal? Obviously, no. They're stealing something created by others, thus taking away earnings from the creators. Morally, I think it's more gray. I have no problem with people playing a much older version of a game that is no longer accessible any other way. Activision/Blizzard are kind of retarded by not providing some kind of vanilla server to rope in retards clouded by nostalgia.
>>
>>71939765
Inb4 blizzard shuts this server down.
>>
>>71939774
I paid for the game 10 years ago.

It was turned into something completely different and is no longer the game I originally paid for.
>>
>>71939484
>>71939774

Technically they don't provide any assets created by Blizzard. Many of the servers shut down because they don't have the resources to fight a protracted legal battle against ActiBlizzard, even if they have a shot at winning.

Of course, a large company using the state to bully a start up out of business rather than compete is the norm, isn't it?
>>
>>71939336
It should be legal for others to offer at any cost. Intellectual property doesn't exist.
>>
>>71941740
And when paying for the game, you agreed to terms which stated that Blizzard was free to make changes to the game at any time.
>>
>>71942168
I don't care.
>>
>>71942444
And that's why you don't get to have nice things.
>>
>>71942444
>This is my bike. I bought it, I own it.
>I don't care.

And then the nigger was shot while attempting to commit robbery.
>>
>>71939336

>should

subjective, in every context, always
>>
>>71942004
for everything that doesnt exist that "matters" to someone, it "exists" in their pride/mind
>>
>>71942168
>stated that Blizzard was free to make changes to the game at any time.

yes?

and?
>>
>>71942803
no, but its ok when blizzard "doesnt care"
>>
>>71943466
And if you don't like the changes they've made, stop playing.
It's not your game, you're paying for access to the servers. You don't even own your characters.
>>
>>71942001
>Technically they don't provide any assets created by Blizzard
Apart from the entire fucking game itself, right?
>>
I don't think they are wanting to make a vanilla server because it would detract away from their main game so much. WoW has been dying slowly since cata and I very much believe the next xpac will be the last.
>>
>>71939336
If I choose not to sell you my bicycle, you don't have any right to break into my garage and steal it.
>>
File: wow-sub-numbers-1024x342[1].jpg (42 KB, 1024x342) Image search: [Google]
wow-sub-numbers-1024x342[1].jpg
42 KB, 1024x342
>>71943852
I can see maybe 2 more expansions.
So many people are never going to trust them after the WOD disaster.

>tfw you will never be a 14 year old autist playing WoW all day again
>>
>>71943801
No, private servers completely code the server information themselves.

They then tell people how to connect to that server.

People then use their own copys of the game they paid for 10 years ago to connect to the server that was coded from scratch.
>>
>>71944287

blizzard still owns the user side assets, used blizzard's IP to advertise and popularize their server, AND took 'donations' to keep it running. they also took cuts from goldsellers

get your ass back to /v/. nostfags have made that board insufferable the last few weeks
>>
>>71939765
>launching a new server with no transfers wednesday
Source?
I really, really liked Kronos but bailed because they went full funserver to compete with Nostalgius' cancerously omnipresent marketing
If they're launching a new server I'm getting back in
>>
>>71939336

As long as those fans build said service from the ground up, yes, absolutely.
>>
blizzard legacy servers = death of main game (the actual cash cow)

as long as blizzard creates new expansion every two years to sell for 50 bucks, legacy servers will not be created. Maybe once wow dies, which might as well be never.

But private servers should exist regardless
>>
>>71944469
>took cuts from goldsellers
Real in your mind

>Owns the user side assets
Good thing nost did not provide any

>used blizzards IP to advertise
Show a single instance of that happening

>took donations keep it running
Yes, people donated directly to the hosting company

You do not seem to have a point, how is anything nost did wrong?
>>
>>71944234

2006. Good times. That's about when I joined. Quit in 2012.
>>
>>71943852
The reason legacy reasons don't exist is a mix of pride and a belief it'll eat into live numbers, and a fear of devaluaing the game

It's overwhelmingly likely we will see classic servers once Legion fails. Acitivion execs will be breathing down Mike's neck and ask why he hasn't cashed in on that yet.

For all we know they may already be, but there is no way they are going to talk about classic servers to the public before Legion has been out for a few months and all the retards have picked up their copies
>>
>>71944287
>What is IP?
I don't usually side with intellectual property laws, but you've gone full derp.
>>
>>71945040
I went back after WOD release since my old guildmate told me it was good and improved. What a liar.
>>
>>71944234
Is WoD seriously that bad?

>tfw you remember Vanilla and BC druid raids on capitals
>>
>>71945234
RIAA/DMCA/TPP fag get out

Nost completely coded the servers from the ground up.

>>71945355
Yes, but at least you can play it for free now.
>>
>>71945355
You can get max tier raid gear without even moving.
>>
>>71945412
>but at least you can play it for free now.
So have they gone the Guild Wars route of F2P, but expansions cost extra?
>>
>>71945652
You can buy gametime with gold, and gold is thrown at you due to the shitiness that is garrisons.
>>
>>71944234

>tfw you will never be a 14 year old autist playing WoW all day again

Something happened to WoW? I never tried it.
>>
File: protip2.png (479 KB, 636x396) Image search: [Google]
protip2.png
479 KB, 636x396
>food is taking too long to prepare
>take food from others plates
>make a fan meal
>leave without paying and leave a bad review
>offer scraps from the dumpster as a service
>call it vanilla
>get mad when restaurant tells you to stay out of their dumpster
>>
>>71939774
The reason why Blizzard never released vanilla servers is because it upsets the fans who care about lore, and those fans are the biggest consumers. The types who buy Warcraft books, clothing, etc. Pissing off these loyal fans would lead to decreasing profit margins.
>>
>>71946058
Those people are the tiniest minority.

They were even a minority in 2008.
>>
>>71945412
>Nost completely coded the servers from the ground up.
Only because they had to. And then they supported client-side programs that used Blizzard's art and music assets.

It's pretty obvious that Nost reused Blizzard assets, and it's pretty obvious that any legal structure that supports what Nost was doing would be completely useless. I ain't crying for Blizzard, I think they are being jackasses tbqh... but holy fuck you're out of your mind if you think Nost had or should have any legal standing.
>>
Vanilla servers don't exist because they are not yet sustainable. They can only last for 3 years max whilst they go through all the old patches that they went through.
If they do release them, they will time the release perfectly so the legacy servers die around the same time as the main game.
>>
>>71946058
are you an autist or something
>>
>>71945976
>go to a restaurant and buy a burger
>it is a delicious wonderful burger
>the restaurant changes its recipie every few years
>burger starts to be really bad
>recently the burger gets made with feces
>ask if you can have one of the old recipie burgers
>told that no, feces burgers or nothing
>stop going to the restaurant
>experiment with recipies at home untill you manage to make a recreation of the origional burger
>make your own restaurant, and put a sign in the window saying you serve the burger that other restaurant used to serve
>say you will give it away free
>other restaurant laughs at you for thinking people do not want feces burgers
>your restaurant becomes extremely popular
>other restaurant burns your place down in the middle of the night

>>71946244
>hurr durr, yes, I agree they completely coded the game themselves
>yes I agree they did not actually give any assets

RIAA/DMCA/TPP fag get out. Fair use is a long established legal precedent. Nost could have won but they do not have a team of million dollar lawyers.

They were shut down through intimidation tactics, not through legal channels.
>>
>>71946364
Nost was planning on making custom bosses(super murlock boss), and eventually letting people port their character over the BC servers they were still coding.
>>
>>71944612
On the Facebook page. Launches at 1 am gmt
>>
>>71946653
>Not having to pay for the right to use another company's assets in your own project
>Literally hosting and supporting a clone of another company's product, and then pretending they should have no legal recourse
>Calling me a RIAA/DMCA/TPP fag for it

This is like mass-printing and distributing copies of someone else's book and claiming you don't owe them anything because you printed it yourself.

>B-but fair use!
Free does not automatically mean fair use, you know. You're showing a woeful ignorance on how any of this could or should work at a legal level.

Look, I'm all for just demolishing intellectual property laws and letting the whole thing come crashing down... but you'd have to be stupid to think there could be any legal support for what Nostalrius was doing.

Now stop being butt-hurt about it and go set up new servers somewhere more piracy-friendly than W.Europe. This isn't the sort of conflict that gets won in court.
>>
>>71939336

ENJOY YOUR PROPRIETY SOFTWARE FAGGOTS
>>
>>71946058
How would it affect the lore in any way?
It's a separate sever that isn't connected to the rest of the game for people who want to have fun.
Why do video game players have to be such tremendous autists about a fantasy world?
>>
File: 1460256300861.jpg (73 KB, 640x570) Image search: [Google]
1460256300861.jpg
73 KB, 640x570
NEED A NEW HOME PRIVATE FAGS?

NOSTALRIUS.PW

NAME IS TEMPORARY, SERVER IS FULLY SCRIPTED. CURRENT SERVER POP IS ABOUT FORTY.

NOT A SCAM
>>
File: stallman.jpg (6 KB, 224x224) Image search: [Google]
stallman.jpg
6 KB, 224x224
>>71947934

forgot pic
>>
If anyone e is interested we are horde side "you think you want it"
>>
>>71939336
No. Even though you charge for it or not doesn't change the fact that you are stealing things that others worked on for a long time and offering it to other people.

The company's desire to not offer the old service is probably so that their customers pay for their current service. Someone offering the old thing for free means that it cuts into their profits
>>
File: Kermit-two1.jpg (27 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
Kermit-two1.jpg
27 KB, 300x400
somsone link that video about nost with the guy laughing hysterically
>>
File: Let goooo.jpg (7 KB, 395x395) Image search: [Google]
Let goooo.jpg
7 KB, 395x395
>>71939336
>MFW when im still #2030 in queue
>>
>>71944234

I began playing at that peak point in cataclysm
>>
>>71948549
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuOYmqSF6OQ
>>
What specific piece of intellectual property are we talking here? The copyright on the source code for the game? Or the copyright/trademark of names and art? (i.e. Illidan)
There are loopholes, especially on source code, that can be exploited, so long as you have money for lawyers.
>>
>>71944287
>>71944287
>No, private servers completely code the server information themselves.
Yeah, and only that. They use rest of the game unlawfully.
>>
The concept of intellectual property is completely jewish to the core.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.