[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should felons have an equal opportunity to being considered for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 609x406) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 609x406
Should felons have an equal opportunity to being considered for a job?

Personally I think it depends on the felony and how long ago it happened. If you did something like getting caught with some drugs 15 years ago then it should be blocked from showing up on a background check

I think most people deserve the chance to make a living if they're not a recent offender or extremely violent and degenerate

What do you think pol?
>>
>>71928719
>I think most people deserve the chance to make a living if they're not a recent offender or extremely violent and degenerate
Yeah. But if they can't get jobs, then they'll have to commit crimes again, and they'll go back to prison. A lot of people profit from this. Everything that has happened in America in the past decade has been for some corporation's profit.
>>
Most felons are black, so it really just cancels out the affirmative action and levels the playing field
>>
>>71929251
>it really just cancels out the affirmative action
and justifies it...
>>
>>71929251
Most of our prisons are filled with non violent offenders due to the drug wars of the 80s and 90s.
>>
After serving their sentence convicted felons should be given essentially a clean slate as they have been "corrected" by our correctional facilities.
They should be treated as any other citizen, including the right to bear arms and other equal treatment under the law.
If a convict is still believed to be a violent threat to the community then they should not be released back into the community to begin with.
Prisons should not be for punishment, but rather for reformation, and those individuals released should be free citizens.

Records must still be kept to maintain crime statistics and to appropriately deal with repeat offenders, and employers have full freedom of association to choose their hires by any criteria, so really none of what I said above matters for your question anyway. I believe they should but I'm not hiring.
>>
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 283x255) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 283x255
>>71930542
>Most of our prisons are filled with non violent offenders due to the drug wars of the 80s and 90s.
>>
>Denmark has a recidivism rate of 27 percent
>USA: About 68 percent of 405,000 prisoners released in 30 states in 2005 were arrested for a new crime within three years of their release from prison, and 77 percent were arrested within five years, according to a report by the Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) released Tuesday.
Think about this for a second. What do we want as society? Every research shows rehabilitation works. Criminals, especially violent ones should (evidently) be punished for their crimes. But what after that? How do we expect them to turn their back to crime, when we take away all of their legal alternatives? The Netherlands (very progressive, rehabilitiation-focused approach) they shut down 19 prisons simply because they cannot fill them.
>>
>>71931012
It's true though.

Federal: "Fifty percent (95,800) of sentenced inmates in federal prison on September 30, 2014 (the most recent date for which federal offense data are available) were serving time for drug offenses (table 12, appendix table 5). In comparison to the 53% in state prisons, violent offenders represented 7% of the federal prison population (14,000 prisoners). Among female federal prisoners, 4% were convicted of violent crimes in 2014. Public order offenders made up 36% of the BOP population, and 9% of federal prisoners (17,000) were serving time for immigration offenses. Among Hispanics in federal prisons, 26% were sentenced for immigration offenses (16,100 inmates), and 57% were sentenced for drug crimes (36,000 inmates). Fifty-three percent of black federal prisoners were convicted drug offenders in 2014, and 25% served sentences for weapons offenses."
Source: Carson, E. Ann. Prisoners In 2014. Washington, DC: US Dept of Justice Bureau of Justice Statistics, Sept. 2015, NCJ248955, p. 16 (state) and p. 17 (federal).
http://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=5387
http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/p14.pdf
- See more at: http://www.drugwarfacts.org/cms/Prisons_and_Drugs#sthash.9He22FA8.dpuf
>>
If a felon cannot reintegrate with society, they don't belong out of jail.

Non-violent felons should be given their rights back once they serve their time. Part of the reason these people go back to crime is because nobody is going to hire a felon, so they return to criminal activity to make money. It should be a conditional basis for violent felons, like I said above... if they're just going to keep being violent and harming innocent people, what are they doing out of jail?
>>
>>71931012
Where you go anon :(
>>
>>71928719
People charged with multiple felonies should just rot in hell.
That's how you correctly apply the death penalty. No risk of taking an innocent man's life.
>>
>>71933973
>the death penalty.
>No risk of taking an innocent man's life.

??. Plenty of people are executed for crimes they didn't commit.
>>
>>71933973
Below 2-3 felonies, the felons should go to jail, and once released, they should be tracked 24h/24h. If you can track whales and sharks in the fucking ocean then you can easily track meatbags.

If a crime was reported in area X, police could use the data of all the felons that were in the same area + CCTV. Otherwise it's a new felon that need a good chip implant right up his ass.

Tracking should remain very long, even if the felon did not commit anything illegal. Because if he hangs out with other felons they will perhaps associate together to commit another cime (if 2 or more felons are detected in the same place, police will immediately intervene).
>>
>>71934346
But if their police record is long, they cannot be innocent. They could be wrongly accused, but you'll execute somewhere worthless anyway.
I believe common felons will think twice about reoffending.
>>
>>71932607
>Non-violent felons should be given their rights back once they serve their time

Judicial diversion for first time offenders but I agree considering damage over $1,000 is a felony and incredibly easy to do these days.
>>
>>71928719

No, and they should't have the right to vote either. Those are privileges that you lose when you committed a felony. It was never, ever a thing that everyone had the right to vote or should vote. Bad people should be treated badly. People on welfare should not be allowed to vote.

But states like Virginia already changed everything when the governor did and executive decision to allow ex-felons to vote, 95% of which will vote Democrat straight down the line. That's 250,000 extra votes in a state Republicans need to win in order to win the presidency.
>>
>>71928719
I don't think they automatically should get all their rights and everything back, but there definitely should be a system they could go through to prove they've become good members of society now. There just isn't anything like that now. I know people who've gotten felonies when they were teenagers for some bullshit stuff, and now they're in their 30s still struggling because of it, despite the fact that they've done everything right since then.
>>
File: 1460436290408.jpg (208 KB, 899x650) Image search: [Google]
1460436290408.jpg
208 KB, 899x650
>>71930542
And crime rates in major cities are way down because we locked all the black people up.

Coincidence?
>>
>>71932544
That's just federal prisons. Going here's the table for state prisons which has 3.6% for drug possession and 12.1% as "other" in the drug category. Also, there are far more inmates in state prisons (1,325,305) than in federal ones (192,663). So that claim is simply misleading.
http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/p14.pdf
>>
>>71935176
So someone who had a drug offense 10 something years ago should face a lifetime of discrimination for employment. Sure some people are more straight laced than others but as already shown a lot of felonies in this country are frivilous relative to serious crimes like robbery, rape, and murder. What good doedcondemning someone for life for something they did years ago outside of Javert style masturbatory enjoyment of "justice"? You're creating a bigger social problem by doing so actually.
>>
>>71928719
That's at the whim of the employer, so if nobody wants to hire you, sucks to suck
>>
>>71935921

Yes, exactly. They should be discriminated against their whole life.
>>
>>71928719
>extremely violent
extreme violence is the sign of an alpha male. a beta little libcuck like you would never understand.
>>
>>71935921
Most felonies aren't "frivolous." It's up to the employer to hire a person with the criminal record.
>>
>>71935375
According to >>71935176
They need to suffer for the rest of their lives for things they did as a teen. Why? Who knows. It's just emotionally satisyifying
>>
>>71928719
If they did their time then Justice has been served.
Keeping them from jobs is a double punishment that just encourages them to commit more crimes and go back to jail.
>>
>>71936103

Why are you minimizing the shit they did, even if they did it as a teen?

Why should they be treated the same as a law abiding citizen? They committed a felony, a crime that hurt society in some way. They should have certain rights limited because of it and voting and job employment opportunities are good things they should lose out on.

Let them work minimum wage their whole life. Hopefully they'll kill themselves or never find a job. We already have enough law abiding normal citizens that can't find work.
>>
>>71936390
Why are you blowing it out of proportion?
Most felons are in because the system abuses "3 strikes" laws.
>Hop in dad's car because dumb fuck 16 year old wanting to joy ride, get stopped by cop
>System slaps you with Grand Theft Auto, Reckless Endangerment, Criminal Neglect, Destruction of Property, Resisting Arrest

Suddenly you're in for 20 years and a ruined life for one event.
>>
>>71936680
>Most felons are in because the system abuses "3 strikes" laws.
[citation needed]
>>
>>71936680
>joy ride
t. Neighbor
>>
>>71936390
I'm not minimizing but simply taking a more pragmatic approach. I understand. You're frustrated with the modern PC culture that seems to be apologetic for criminals and the worst of our society. however you're letting that turn you into a different kind of zealot on the other side of the same coin

I agree people are do significant harm to society, multiple offenders need to face consequences for their actions. On the same token I do not believe that someone who may have had a drug probably decades ago or as the anon said someone who as a teen did something but have been shown as "reformed" should have to be punished for the rest of their lives. Again you guys failed to argue why it's a good idea outside of typical angry red face rage and elitism against the "scum" of society.

If someone was arrested as a teen and they're 39 years old, what good does it do for society to keep this person from making an honest living if ever since then they've been on the straight and narrow?
>>
>>71936680

3 strikes isn't blowing shit out of proportion. You had 3 chances not to fuck up and you continuously did. We have to put you away before you do shit even more heinous since you can't control yourself and have poor judgment.
>>
>>71932395
>The Netherlands (very progressive, rehabilitiation-focused approach) they shut down 19 prisons simply because they cannot fill them

Oh, they'd be able to fill them if they had niggers.
>>
>>71928719
No. Execute them to cleanse the gene pool, obviously.
>>
>>71936960

My issue is that people are losing the wisdom and the intent of the laws already on the books.
>>
To put it In a more relatable context. Say that Tim Allen never had a tv show and was just an average guy but still a relatively good guy and haven't commited any crimes since his 20s. Should he still face discrimination at his current age? What would be the purpose?
>>
>>71936977
3 strikes is supposed to be 3 different occurrences
What they do is slap 3 charges on ONE occurrence and lock people away.
>>
>>71932395

You have to keep in mind that a lot of the people who are in and out of jail in the US can't really be reformed because their communities see jail time as a rite of passage and a resume builder that increases street credibility.
>>
>>71937165
Again
[citation needed]
>>
>>71936390
Dude....we're all criminals. I did a project on this in college, I went around and interviewed a bunch of students, trying to find out what percentage of us had committed felonies already. Ask them like, you ever own more than 200g of pot? Guess what, felony. Ever sell any amount of pot to your friend? Guess what, felony. Etc...

Turns out like 80% of the students i polled were potential felons, they just hadn't been caught. Thats why I figure most people commit a felony sometime in their life, but they probably will never be caught just because they're otherwise upstanding members of society.

But I do know people who have been busted for this sort of shit as teens and it's ruined their entire lives.
>>
>>71936890
>>71937266
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/25/opinion/sunday/california-horror-stories-and-the-3-strikes-law.html?_r=0
>>
>>71937558
>anecdotal sob stories
Do you have any actual data? How many of these people locked up are really just teens that made a mistake?
>>
>>71937420

I've worked with kids in the tough side of town at a school. I think the issue comes down to knowing how to code switch. The smart kids smoke weed but know how to be discrete about it. The dumb kids show up to class smelling like a skunk, and their friends are all like "man, you be smelling good bro" in front of staff members. Recently, a kid I know showed up to the security office to inquire about an ID while smelling weed. He was then very surprised when he got caught and did not understand why he was in trouble. We need to teach poor people how to use their head.
>>
>>71934599
See, here in the United States one of our rights, even for felons, is freedom of association/assembly. That being said, these rights can and have been curtailed for gang activity and unlawful assemblies.
>>
>>71928719
After about a decade and no further offenses felonies aren't really considered by employers.
>>
>>71937420
I think most people, by the time they're 25 or so, have committed enough crimes to be locked away for the rest of their lives. I'm talking about regular, productive citizens too, not just hardcore criminals.

Imagine if they pulled the computer on your car, and could find out every single time you went over the speed limit, changed lanes without signaling, ran a yellow light that turned red, etc. That would be enough to lock most everyone away, forever. That's not even counting buying and selling dime bags when you were a teen.

Plus that's not counting all the shit that's illegal that you don't know is illegal. I saw a lawyer come in and speak at my college one time, the first thing he did was announce that everyone sitting in the back row was committing a felony for sitting in sits that were inadequately spaced from the fire escapes.
>>
>>71937705
Do you have anything but arguments from Ignorance?

>I don't believe it's happening so it's not happening!
>>
Even if you do get your slate cleared, whoever googles your name is gonna get some newspaper articles and police blotters as the first few results. They've got something in Yurop called "the right to be forgotten" where you can get them taken down, but in America you can't do that.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.