[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is programming the future /pol/? Do you have to know how to program
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: pro mather.jpg (5 KB, 276x183) Image search: [Google]
pro mather.jpg
5 KB, 276x183
Is programming the future /pol/?
Do you have to know how to program to get a job?

What are your thoughts on this?
Should they really teach more computer science lessons than english lessons?
>>
>>71917986
No. No. None. No.
>>
Good thread
>>
>>71918069
please state your position
>>
>>71917986
If you want a job, try living in a country that has an economy
>>
>>71918185
try living in a non-meme country
>>
>>71917986
It probably is but no, I don't know enough programming to get a job.
Programming lessons in school are probably a good idea, but most first world countries already offer them.
>>
File: dr pierce.png (21 KB, 301x81) Image search: [Google]
dr pierce.png
21 KB, 301x81
>>71917986
It's already a saturated industry overrun by worthless poos and hipsters. Please do not pollute it even further.

Also check my WLP captcha
>>
>>71917986
>>71918325
Sorry, I misread your second question.
If you want to work in stem, you need to know how to program, because it comes up everywhere now. Maybe you need to script something, or numerically solve an equation or modell some process.
>>
>>71917986
>Yes.

>No.

>I'm a programmer and it's a shitty job. End up being called on Sunday at 3AM because some bullshit batch process written by a retard has crashed.

>No. A programmer who doesn't know english EXTREMELY well is like a car with square wheels.
>>
>>71918324
Watching you post really helps me understand why people say the greeks invented homosexuality
>>
>>71918787
Belgium you're really making me cringe right now
stop being a faggot
>>
File: gTRZZ.jpg (61 KB, 1280x704) Image search: [Google]
gTRZZ.jpg
61 KB, 1280x704
>>71917986
No, normies keep the fuck out of programming.
>>
>>71919095
>normies
im as anti social and retarded you can get ivory coast
>>
Karlie Kloss is learning to code. Why aren't you /pol/?
>>
>>71918709
Programmer here also. Agree entirely.

My only suggestion would be perhaps to do it part time and have a full time outdoors job where you can use your body. But since you are Greek, mate, don't even try.

Sitting at a desk all day is fucked.
>>
>No

>Not really, but can't hurt having it on the CV if you actually know how to program (shitware doesn't count)

>Senior software developer. I don't honestly like the job, but it pays for the bills. I prefer making mobile apps and games over the database software projects I've been assigned to lately

>Honestly, no. English is far more useful regardless of the field and you'll end up learning better English than most of your peers if you take up programming because it's the lingua franca. Also, trying not to sound an elitist, but there are a lot of people who are simply incapable to code because they can't grasp the logic behind it for some reason.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/09/is-it-true-that-not-everyone-can-be-a-programmer/
>>
>>71919866
>But since you are Greek, mate, don't even try.
why
>>
>>71917986
Programming is for code monkeys. Physics is the most versatile field,with the highest payoff if you are not autistic. Trust me,dont buy into the
>le hacker Neo maymay
Engineering/Math/Physics are only viable options.
>>
>>71920944
I heard a story some guy told me where he had 2 friends: 1 got a physics degree and the other one got a computer science degree and did pen-testing for companies

the first one ended up killing himself while the guy who got into computers made shit ton of money
>>
>>71921213

You can make a lot of money with both degrees and in all honesty the physics degree is a lot harder than the computer science one, especially at Master's level.
>>
>>71919095
Shit is too hard for normies to understand.

Though they waste their money on tutorials like "Make Your Own Flappy Bird Clone Without Any Programming". Even that code.org site had no programming, it was just dragon dropping segments of a "program". At least I got a copy of Portal 2 and $10 iTunes cards out of it.
>>
>>71919647
Because I already know how to ram my head against the keyboard and type random shit and change directory to something that isn't even there
>>
>>71917986
I don't know, I can only program in Python and MATLAB, and then I still only use it to solve differential equations or make nice plots.
>>
>>71917986
Math is compulsory and look at how many people go on to further the field or apply it directly in their field.

Making programming compulsory will not draw in any more people than those that chose to master it as they did with math. As with anything you have to do it as practice to be competent to do it well. Also if you do get into programming, you'll be sure to have a string of interviews whereby you are quizzed and out on the spot to do shit as if you had all the time in the world to think about, you'll find yourself studying just for interviews and watch yourself get stressed out over minor shit. It does have its rewards but it's something most people can't do and let alone do it well
>>
>>71920944
>Programming is for code monkeys

That's if you can't think for yourself

I always hearing people on 4chan whining about not getting a job with their programming experience, all while they waste time whining instead of creating a game or program to show off their skills. Or they'll just waste time porting DooM to a calculator.
>>
>>71919866
>there are a lot of people who are simply incapable to code because they can't grasp the logic behind it for some reason.

Well, elitist or not, there's a significant percentage of people who don't get a few key abstractions that allow someone to be a good programmer.

>One is recursion.

Recursion is hard because you have to keep several stack frames in your head at once and visualize the same piece of code doing different things each time, and most people can't. They can't cleanly differentiate one stack frame from the next.

>Another one is pointers.

I usually try to explain it like a phone number. A phone number is just a pointer to a person. There can be many copies of a phone number, but they all point to the same person.
If I tell that person something, everyone who calls him will deal with the new, updated person that knows this new fact.
If I change my copy of the phone number, the number now points to someone else, but everyone else will still be calling the original person because their numbers haven't changed.

People always understand this, and yet somehow when you take it into the abstract world of a computer they can't grasp it anymore.

>Finally, the last one is concurrency.

I'm doing PL/SQL work and to maximize efficiency I've devised a highly concurrent architecture where there are lots of instances of the same computational algorithm running, each one stopping and waiting for the others whenever it needs one of their results.

Other parts of the process are a lot easier, where you have 15 instances working on 15 different data sets but with no dependency from each other.
Still, I run into the raciest of conditions all the time.

People who truncate an entire temporary table and refill it, with no regards to the fact that 14 other instances of the same program will be trying to do the same thing.
When you point it out they understand, but they can't predict race conditions by themselves.
>>
>>71920944
this. Learn how to code shit related to engineering/math and science. Otherwise you'll end up with Pajeets on stack overflow driven projects

>t. code monkey, who regrets not learning physics
>>
>>71921879

This. I couldn't get a job after getting my degree, so I started creating mobile apps and contributing to open-source to fill my online portfolio. Some time later I started getting offers from companies I did not even send any applications in the first place.
>>
>>71923509
just curious (planning to do same thing) what kind of mobile apps?
>>
File: 1455382718409.gif (3 MB, 462x305) Image search: [Google]
1455382718409.gif
3 MB, 462x305
I majored in computer programming at u of IL and i was offered atleast 15 jobs right out of college, i now make 115 k and I am 26. It is the future
>>
>>71923630
shut up dan
>>
>>71917986
Yes absolutely. Computers are useless if you don't know how to talk to them.

I felt cheated that I didn't get my first taste of any computer language until middle school.
>>
>>71917986
bio-tech senpai
>>
>>71917986
yeah pretty much, you should at least be able to do vba and a scripting language plus sql
>>
>>71923934
>vba
I'm sorry, what year was this again? I must have time travelled back to the 1800's.
>>
>>71917986
No retard.
No stupid.

It's just another skill that will be saturated just like talking a second language or knowing math, etc.
No.
>>
>>71918922
>>71918787
>>71918324
>>71918185
>>71918177
>>71918143
Lol, you're both massive faggots. But at least you're funny faggots.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.