[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Homesteading
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6
File: crops.jpg (111 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
crops.jpg
111 KB, 480x720
Many on /pol/ talk about someday moving out into the country and homesteading. Though there are many different levels one can take it to, most dream of being completely disconnected from the grid (except I'm betting the internet).

What are your plans and what sources do you use to learn more? A couple of podcasts on homesteading I've been watching include Wranglerstar, dirtpatcheaven, and Pure Living for Life. All three have different approaches but are all full of personal experiences in how they've made a homestead work for them.

Is anyone on /pol/ seriously planning on doing this or is it all just talk?
>>
We have what are known as small holdings here.
Our country is not big enough to get truly away from the government though. it's not like Alaska where you can shoot at anyone turning up on your land.

Besides, I'm not sure I want to spend ALL my time providing for myself, with no time to paint or read, it seems like pretty hard going.
>>
File: get canned.jpg (111 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
get canned.jpg
111 KB, 960x960
>>71868202
Complete self sufficiency seems like a fool's errand. You don't have to go as far as Alaska to get away from much of the government control. States like Idaho and Montana offer lots of off grid opportunities. There are many cases in those states where people have built complete homes (not shacks) with the government being completely unaware.
>>
>>71867800
My family did the homesteading thing back in the 70's. My Mom, and Dad quit upper middle class jobs, and moved to a farm in Tennessee. We held out for ten years, until dads health went south, and were forced to move back into town.
>>
File: 130920.TheElliottHomestead5.jpg (1 MB, 2160x1440) Image search: [Google]
130920.TheElliottHomestead5.jpg
1 MB, 2160x1440
>>71868662
I actually lived on a hippy compound as a child in Alabama around the same time. We had big plans but eventually the whole thing went bankrupt. Main problem was that hippies are lazy. We never even had a garden much less crops. The main thing is most people simply don't do any research before diving in, thinking the food fairy will appear. But lots of people are able to do it successfully.
>>
>>71868202
Allotments are popular across the water aren't they? I have seen them on offer here but on what would be private farmland near suburbs but not walking distance. A small poly tunnel would be quite productive nevertheless.
>>
>>71868921
Looking back now, what bothers me is the lack of common sense they had. We had a garden, but other than a few chickens, no live stock. Dad wouldn't hunt either, even though the place was crawling with deer. My brother was the one that kept us going by running shine.
>>
>>71867800
Russia is giving away a hectare of land in the far east, probably not the best place to live as it's in the middle of fucking nowhere but the mineral deposits are very enticing.
Dual citizenship perks :^)

https://нaдaльнийвocтoк.pф/
>>
File: service_PainCourt47.jpg (56 KB, 570x300) Image search: [Google]
service_PainCourt47.jpg
56 KB, 570x300
>>71869627
It's easy to forget just how little access most people had to knowledge back then. Since your parents didn't grow up as farmers, it would have been easy for them to have romanticized about how smoothly things would have gone. Even a well stocked library of the time would have been of only limited help. Today though... insane amount of resources though nothing beats direct experience.

>>71869627
I have dual citizenship but it's with Canada which isn't the best place to homestead even though several centuries worth of my ancestors did it. They were hardy folks.
>>
>>71870526
>
I've come to the conclusion that my dad was just a fuck up in general. I know that hindsight's
20/20, but at the same time they were trying to live a suburban life in the woods.
>>
>>71869622
You know, what I've never understood is why people don't draw up plans for that shit beforehand? Seriously, if you bought a big plot of land, laid it out on a topographical map, and drew out the buildings and infrastructure, you could have an enormously successful community.
>>
File: homestead.jpg (68 KB, 685x450) Image search: [Google]
homestead.jpg
68 KB, 685x450
>>71871446
That's ok. Sucks that it didn't work out but you learned from it. Even if you never decide to give homesteading a try, you have personal experience to be able to speak of it.
>>
>>71871558
It was over a hundred acres of old growth timber, with small hills, and plenty of pasture for livestock.
There were springs, and creeks all through it. Deer, turkey, rabbit, squirrel, and all kinds of wild berries. It could have been a paradise.
>>
>>71871753
Oh, I will try again. Right now I'm trying to decide whether to stay in Arizona, or go back to Tennessee.
>>
>>71868601
Montana and Idaho have enough edgy Ethic Nationalists. Go somewhere else.
>>
>>71872175
We had a lake and artesian wells. The lake was so well stocked that I actually caught fish with an unbaited safety pin (obviously open). But the adults couldn't be bothered. "The land will provide" they said. At least we never went hungry but each trip to the grocery store seemed wrong.
>>
>>71867800
We have built a small family farm over the past 10 years.
Probably more of a lifestyle than a homestead, but it works for us.
1, 3, 5, 10 year plan.
Now have barns, fences, animals, orchard, gardens, greenhouse, etc all by hand, learning as we go.
Still not fully independant or off the grid, but juggling kids, degrees, home school, careers, medical issues does that.
This will be our retirement, and the kids livelihood.
Had another couple ask if they could come over when the zombies attack the other day.
Maybe; kinda sounds like fun.
This will probably sound meme-worthy, but it really is the journey, not the destination.
>>
>>71872355
No one said anything about that.

>>71872344
Do you still have family in Tennessee? Seems like a support network, at least while starting out, would be an advantage.
>>
>>71872546
Where abouts in 'Bama were you?
>>
>>71872770
About thirty miles outside of Montgomery near a tributary of the Alabama River.
>>
>>71872693
Family? Yes, and no. I'm related to most of Lincoln, and Giles Counties on moms side. But they kinda disowned her when she married dad, and left.
>>
How feasible would it be to homestead on ocean front property? Is there any cheap gulf front or ocean front in the South or South East?
>>
File: vignes.jpg (153 KB, 850x530) Image search: [Google]
vignes.jpg
153 KB, 850x530
>>71867800
>Is anyone on /pol/ seriously planning on doing this or is it all just talk?

Probably in between for me. I really like the idea though, kind of a dream for now. My family got a house in the countryside with a decent backyard with a few fruit trees and enough space to grow some shit for myself.
Crazy chill. Vineyard as far as the eyes can see. Beautiful as fuck.
If shit goes full batshit in Paris I'll actually think about it seriously.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.