[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Define "Success"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: RW541AZ.jpg (30 KB, 424x283) Image search: [Google]
RW541AZ.jpg
30 KB, 424x283
I was wondering what society (your society or community) defines as successful? What are the universal traits?

Categories I'm interested in:
What do you expect their income to be (based on your country's average income - a number is preferable. EX. $80k in US (equitable to 135k in Washington DC due to cost of living)
If they should be married.
How many kids

Don't really care about:
"happiness" or "job satisfaction" I want to know what people think when judging complete strangers.

Be as biased and politically incorrect as you want, just be honest.

Categories:
Man.
Woman.
0-5 years work experience
5-10 years work experience
10-20 years
20-30 years
30-40 years
I assume after 40 years comes retirement so:
Retirement.
And what you expect they leave after they die.
>>
A succsseful member of society is starting from upper middle class income 120K and over, a house in a suburban white area, and married with children
>>
>>71790869
Man earning? Combined income (man and woman earning?) are gay families ok? By what age? 30? 35?
>>
>>71790579
Income is irrelevant, what matters is net worth. I know people making $120k but are up to their eyeballs in debt and will probably die alone (after the gold digging wives leave them) and penniless in some state-funded nursing home. I would hardly call that "success". True success is building a family and providing for them while also building enough wealth to free yourself from the shackles of employment.
>>
>>71791126
By age 30 the man earning alone. No1 cares about gay families.
>>
>>71791223
Good point. But what does that mean? How much? In savings? In checking? By what age????

I like the comment on the nursing home thing though. Nursing home = not success?
>>
>>71791307
What if the flip were to occur? The woman earning 120+k. Subarban house. White area. 30yrs old.
>>
>>71791529

Then the man should be earning more
>>
>>71791688
Thank you. I've always been curious as to how everyone judges others. I know how my family and I do it, but what about everyone else?

For my family it's woman earning 80k, man earning at least 100k. Older man, younger woman. Woman takes care of house. White suburban neighborhood. 2 kids. Good education etc. With certain markers throughout career. (married by 25, kids by 30, etc)
>>
>>71791987
Not that I've met any of those markers. Lol
>>
>reverse nigger white guy
Disgusting.

The reverse nigger ones were funny because he's all like, what, I'm fucking normal, lol what were you expecting? The pic OP posted is just common cashed up degenerate who got a job someone much classier should have been given. Classy men take LSD, coke is for faggots who like 20 minute highs and pretending they're rich.

>>71790579
>I was wondering what society (your society or community) defines as successful? What are the universal traits?
120k+ Melbourne has a huge cost of living and unless you have investments it's easy to lose track of your spending here, you can get into debt traps easy here, especially if you're earning 5 figures.

It they don't have degrees, they're running their own business. Also, unemployment is huge here so you have no chance of getting a job unless you already have "experience" or can fit some sort of diversity quota. It's basically the worst place you could think about going if you wanted to escape poverty, which is why we're an immigrant welfare state because they come here and simply can't afford to live here. No one can afford to live here when unemployment is at 20%.

BTW if you can't be happy knowing you could buy anything you wanted online, have the freedom to go where you want (with a car), download any media or information you wanted and don't have trouble acquiring whatever you use to sedate yourself, you're either a lonely cunt or you're just not cut out for happiness. Lots of people aren't. Being happy means being stagnant for non proactive/dispassionate people, so their survival strategy is depression or anxiety.
>>
>>71792540
???? I'm kinda confused about your answer. So I'm going to focus on the answer to my question.

So you said 120+k in Melbourne. On average living, avoid debt, have a degree+experience or run a business. Don't be one of the 20% unemployed.

What about demographics? Women? Men? Suburbs or city living? Children? How many? What about retirement? House? Own or rent? etc.
>>
Upper middle class is 200k+, poors.
>>
>>71791384
A successful person is someone who has enough wealth stored up to provide for his family without being worried about money. The actual dollar amount is kind of irrelevant as long as its enough for the family to live off indefinitely. Obviously success at any age is defined by how far along you are in obtaining this goal. I would consider a 20-something who makes a decent salary and puts a good chunk of it into investments to be fairly successful. Living in a nursing home isn't a failure per se, sometimes you get to a point where there really is no other option. The failure comes form the fact that it is being paid for by the government because no one loves you enough to care for you themselves. The saddest thing in the world is a man on his deathbed with no children or friends to mourn his passing.
>>
Just want to make sure you understand. I'm asking a politically incorrect question on how you judge a person as being "successful".

You can be as racist/sexist/homophobic as you want. I just want how you (honestly) judge "success" knowing nothing about a person and their personal/mental state.

Ex. I don't care if they're happy or whatever, but if you heard that some stranger had a job earning ___ by age ___ and was (married/ single) with (or without) kids. How you would judge them.

Based on the society around me I am not successful. I earn 40k, am not married, have no kids, I rent, etc. I'm average. I'm happy and average. I love my job. I'm probably never going to be a "success" but I'm good. I was just wondering how people judged "success".

I get it, this is a silly question. But that doesn't mean I'm not curious. I felt this place might be the best place to ask it. So yea.
>>
>>71790579

Using all of your income/neetbux on expenses and living in a mixed neighborhood basically puts you at the bottom rung.

Using your income to purchase assets and living off their profit, thus being able to live in a classy, most likely 95%+ white neighborhood, with 2+ kids puts you on top.

Specific income and career progression honestly doesnt matter anywhere near as much as being able to generationally shift your family up the class structure.
>>
>>71793448
Good answer. :D That's kinda what I'm looking for. So being cash poor but asset rich still counts?
>>
>>71792917
>What about demographics? Women? Men? Suburbs or city living? Children? How many? What about retirement? House? Own or rent? etc.
You want to know how being a man or woman effects success in Melbourne? I tell you what, its one of the most left wing cities in the world, the Labour (left wing) government has gone to great lengths to ensure women can get jobs, trying to prop Melbourne up as a fashion capital. Lots has gone into helping female employment and just as much has gone into helping male unemployment.

Or was it dating? When women typically earn more than men, he dating market is usually strained. Basically a large amount of women are after the small amount of guys with success, most of which are married. Tinder game is meant to be ridiculous here, I haven't tried because I can't afford a car and picking up women on public transport won't get me laid.

Both owning and renting in Melbourne is a bad idea. Buying houses means a million dollar loan, plus or minus a few 100k. The best suburbs to raise children is the east, the best suburbs to be a yuppie is anything innercity, at least inner city public transport is good here (until bout 9 o'clock, it ends really early).

I hate and love Melbourne. It's my home, but everyone here hates me for being too dark for swooning women and too light to get any of that PoC privilege. I'm just that guy that PC/Marxism/Leftism in general decided to fuck over the most, naturally it puts me at odds with Melbourne's left wing domination.
>>
>>71793553
Wow, I didn't know most of that about Melbourne. Thanks for the info. You've got me curious about the government now. With a 20% unemployment rating I'm not sure how well their system is working, but then again, with a high population/population density I wonder how that effects the situation.

But that's another topic entirely,

Another question:
So if renting and owning is bad, which is the lesser of the two evils and what's the alternative to renting and owning as just an average living solution?
>>
>>71793898
Like America the unemployment is mostly contained within the youth, so only graduates. Unemployment itself can create vicious circles where an over supply of workers and low demand allows hirers to raise standards, meaning it becomes increasingly unlikely to get a job as a graduate who have no experience. This is further confounded by Melbourne's extreme left wing stance, so if they are going to hire someone with no experience, it's going to be to fulfil some sort of diversity requirement or else in Melbourne it'll mean a name and shame. So the people getting jobs aren't always locals, this boosts the official unemployment rate.

If you have 10 years experience working in your field, plus a degree from a major sounding city, you can generally get a job here, just don't expect 120k.

>So if renting and owning is bad, which is the lesser of the two evils and what's the alternative to renting and owning as just an average living solution?
LOL living in a cheaper city. You can pick all over the world, why would you pick the literal ass end that ships have to pay the most amount of fuel to get to? The immigrants in my city are especially dumb and especially motivated by image rather than sound financial decisions. The Chinese are smarter, they only send their rich here (we have multi millionaire Asians serious, befriend them at uni, fun stuff) because they know living in the most expensive city in the world is a sort of status symbol.

But it's my home and I don't have the funds to leave.
>>
>>71793524
What the fuck does "cash poor" even mean? No one should have a majority of their wealth tied up in cash. Now granted you shouldn't tie it all up in assets that can't be liquidated quickly if needed, but their is nothing wrong with having millions in assets and only a few thousand in cash. In fact I would say that's the ideal configuration.
>>
Most of my high school friends are pretty successful by most standards. Good jobs, steady girlfriends or wives, either plans for further education or promising career advancement.

But apparently I'm still the object of admiration. All I did was do four years in the army and then join the Park Service. I basically spend 9 months a year clearing debris and maintaining trails and three months on half time on-call support. The pay is pretty shit but I don't spend anything so I'm still saving 20k a year on top of my army savings. It's also the only work I feel cut out for.

I fucking hate how aimless my life feels but apparently it seems free and open to my old friends. I don't know how to tell them how fucking lonely I'm becoming. It's a pretty shitty way to raise a kid, even if I found someone who wanted to have kids with me.

I should just let the fucking moose kill me.
>>
>>71790579
A well built house on an estate of no less that 640 acres of semi-productive land, a reliable spouse, 2-5 smart healthy children and tight-knit supportive extended family/community.

Holding land is the only way to gain any real freedom or autonomy in a modern state. And living alone/with no long term relationships leads to earlier death in poorer health.
>>
File: 1460781073320.png (156 KB, 270x270) Image search: [Google]
1460781073320.png
156 KB, 270x270
>>71790579
I'd say your success is determined if you have biological related child(ren) who are more successful in life than you and your bloodline continues

Everything else doesn't really matter and you're a failure if your bloodline dies while on your watch or ends with you

Wealth, fame, genetics... it all means nothing if it doesn't successfully continue after your death

It's better to be a dimly lit flame that goes on forever than an extremely bright and powerful flame that eventually dies
>>
>>71794576
Good point. What does cash poor mean exactly? When I said it I meant all of your money is tied up in assets. Not liquid.
>>
>>71790579
>Define "Success"
Immortality.
>>
Wow. Tons of great answers. Thanks everyone. Feel free to keep posting. I think I've got a good idea now. :)

I'm gonna keep reading answers though, so please post more
>>
>>71794785
Dude. That sucks.

Honestly, I think everyone admires your dedication and service to the country. If you aren't happy, let someone know. Maybe you can figure out a career chamge. Do something, anything. Just don't be sad and miserable because you feel like you're ungrateful for wanting more.
>>
>>71795357
Lol
>>
>>71795063
Solid answer. Thanks.
>>
>>71795285
I am definitely a failure then. Lol. Thanks. Didn't think of that, but you're right. That is a commonly held belief.
>>
>>71795295
You should never have more cash on hand than necessary. Holding cash is completely wasteful.
>>
>>71795571
I've been fully compensated for my service. Hell, I got to ride around in helicopters and blow up VBIEDs and see the cradle of civilization. Can't say it fucked me up either. I just have that vet autism where I can't interact with people unless I know who's in charge.

It's no one's fault I can't be arsed to actually use my education stipend or try to get a more socialized job. I just know what to do with a chainsaw and brush axe. I'll be fine, eventually.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.