[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
J.M.W. Turner to appear on the next £20 banknote
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8
File: turner_l.jpg (163 KB, 500x396) Image search: [Google]
turner_l.jpg
163 KB, 500x396
>Today, Bank of England Governor, Mark Carney, announced that J.M.W. Turner will appear on the next £20 banknote due to be issued by 2020.

>Commenting on the decision, the Governor said: “I am delighted to announce that J.M.W. Turner has been chosen to appear on the next £20 note. Turner is perhaps the single most influential British artist of all time. His work was transformative, bridging the classical and modern worlds. His influence spanned his lifetime and is still apparent today. Turner bequeathed this painting to the nation, an example of his important contribution to British society.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/publications/Pages/news/2016/049.aspx
>>
>>71733533
I don't know who he is, but he is kawaii in that photo.
>>
Lol
While the USA have a chimp on Their 20$ banknotes
>>
File: DRYING.jpg (187 KB, 803x903) Image search: [Google]
DRYING.jpg
187 KB, 803x903
>>71733533
>>
>>71733533
I would suck his dick
>>
>>71733680
>he
>>
How many SJWs are shitting themselves demanding we have a dindu that's barely contributed to British culture and society a la Harriet Tubman?
>>
>>71733533
who?
>>
DELETE THIS
>>
>>71734043
although not the best choice, harriet tubman contributed quite a bit
>>
>>71733533
usa BTFO
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (566 KB, 1536x864) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
566 KB, 1536x864
Love Turner

Then again I'm Scottish we get different faces on our bills
>>
File: John Keats.jpg (1002 KB, 2400x2931) Image search: [Google]
John Keats.jpg
1002 KB, 2400x2931
>implying you shouldn't put john keats
>>
>>71733533
That nigga looks baller as fuck. Wish we had him instead of a literal ape
>>
>>71734155

Not really.
>>
>Turner and Churchill on the new notes
almost makes up for having Jane Austen on the £10
>>
>>71734155
She didn't do shit in comparison to other presidents or civil rights activists
>>
A fucking white male?
>>
I'm okay with this. Would've preferred Augustus de Morgan.
>>
>>71734155
As far as i could tell she freed 70 slave families, but considering ~10-15 years later every slave was freed I fail to see the significance in the grand scheme of things.

Is there another aspect that i'm missing?
>>
>>71733720
I know, shit sucks...

I would rather have Amelia Earhart on a banknote as she actually did something. Why aren't more women proud of historical figures like her? She actually proven that if you were a capable pilot, you deserved to soar through the wild blue yonder.
>>
File: 1458096251424.jpg (239 KB, 1242x1225) Image search: [Google]
1458096251424.jpg
239 KB, 1242x1225
>>71734155
>harriet tubman contributed quite a bit
She got some people from the South to the North. A lot of people are still doing that today, but Trump is going to stop them.
>>
>>71733680
romanticist painter.
>>
Very neat.
>>
File: Slave-ship.jpg (454 KB, 2152x1616) Image search: [Google]
Slave-ship.jpg
454 KB, 2152x1616
>>
>>71734425
This.

The very first woman I thought of when that butt ugly Martian was shown to be on the next $20 note.
>>
What a handsome and white face to have on a 20.
>>
turners seascapes are goat
>>
>a white man appears on a note that also depicts the titan of the waves being pulled away to be put to rest

Actually I don't think I like this implication...
>>
fucking based. he's my favorite painter of all time. i have one reproduction from jmw and will get one more.
>>
>>71734468
haha i wrote a paper on this painting and got a 100 out of it. i'm a yuuuuuge jmw turner fan. his paintings are amazing.
>>
>>71734410
>>71734399

She escaped slavery, risked her life going to the south dozens of times never once being captured, personally freed more than 80 slaves, acted as a recruiter for John Brown's (failed) insurrection, acting as a scout during the civil war, and even led military assaults on plantations during the said war.

You can hate black people all you want, but Harriet Tubman is actually someone worth being honored, even if she wasn't a president. Anyone who claims otherwise is simply ignorant.
>>
>>71734397

Eh, at least Jane Austen is a world famous author with a legacy still relevant today.

Yes, there are more deserving male authors, but you can make a reasonable case that she has a distinct legacy.
>>
Watch Mr. Turner if you heven't, good film.
>>
>>71735065
But The Fighting Temeraire is an amazing picture, though the symbolism of a glorious old wreck giving way to modernity does have a bleak undertone given the state of the country, still:

Now the sunset breezes shiver,
Téméraire! Téméraire!
And she's fading down the river,
Téméraire! Téméraire!
Now the sunset's breezes shiver,
And she's fading down the river,
But in England's song for ever
She's the Fighting Téméraire.
>>
>>71735681
> personally freed more than 80 slaves
Property theft
>acted as a recruiter for John Brown
insurgent and terrorist

That's your hero burgers, a fat female nigger terrorist.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.