[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
retailers going bankrupt why
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 14
File: download.jpg (9 KB, 269x187) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9 KB, 269x187
Sports Authority
Sports Chalet
Aeropastale
Quicksilver's
Pacific sunwear

All bankrupt, filed chapter 11

Explain why this is happening and no it is not due to online sales, it is due to the oppression of the middle class via confiscatory taxes, fees, fines and regulation, and inflation.
>>
>2016
>buying clothes from aeropostle, quicksilver, or pacsun

Pick one
>>
Overpriced bull shit
>>
Our minimum wage means one American is worth several mainland Chinese.

All the US states with large populations have hostile laws and retarded officials.

Nepotism-hire corporate execs and their hambeast HR middle managers are making all the worst decisions possible.

Obama's administration (executive branch is in charge of regulatory agencies) has shown a bloodthirsty enthusiasm for 'diversity' which replaces qualified people with needy and inexperienced people.

Massive businesses exploit the inhospitable regulatory environment to poison the well for small & medium businesses.

The economic clusterfuck which has persisted for eight years is leaving people with less flexibility - you're lucky to have food and your own place and whatever is left usually gets dumped into a car and/or electronics.

This is what it looks like when baby boomers call all the shots.
>>
>>
>claim free market solves evwryrhinf
>complain when some businesses are rendered obsolete by the free market
>>
>>71730305

The internet
>>
File: 1418861046060.jpg (60 KB, 498x668) Image search: [Google]
1418861046060.jpg
60 KB, 498x668
>Explain why this is happening and no it is not due to online sales, it is due to the oppression of the middle class via confiscatory taxes, fees, fines and regulation, and inflation.

Purchasing power hasn't changed much since the 90s, it has exactly to do with their business model faggot.
>>
>>71730934
We dont have a free market, genius.
>>
>>71730934
>le free market meme

That's like people blaming democracy for what happens when democracy is not applied.
>>
>>71730305
If you're somehow too poor to shop then you are not middle class.
>>
>>71730958
Bingo. No one goes to stores anymore bc everything can be purchased on his internet for cheaper.

Also the stores you mention suck compared to others so that's why.
>>
It's called the market.

Take an Econ 101 class. you dummy.
>>
File: DdFQL3t.jpg (212 KB, 499x621) Image search: [Google]
DdFQL3t.jpg
212 KB, 499x621
>>71730980
>we haven't progressed in 20 years
>>
Oh shit Sports Authority is going under? They sell guns right? Any chance they'll dump them at a deep discount in the next few weeks?
>>
>>71730980
The 90s? That's as far as you can look back? There was life before the average teenager on pol. And it was better then. The 80s, for example. The 50s too.
>>
>>71730958
This. I needed a motorcycle part, $60 at my local store. Bought that same part off the Internet for $21 shipped.
>>
>>71730305

Maybe it's because their clothes are overpriced and shit quality. Why would I buy workout clothes from sports authority for 85 dollars when I can go to target for the exact same quality half the price

Get your head out of your ass faggot.
>>
>>71731106
I've bought many a baseball bat, gloves, balls ect. From sports authority. It's these new fags who arnt buying shit anymore. God damn fags are ruining this economy.
>>
>>71731238

>overpaying for sports equipment

Wake up faggot, you can get all of that cheaper somewhere else
>>
>>71731144
To be fair, Target and Sports Authority will vary in terms of quality. You get what you pay for. Clothes from target will have half the lifespan of some higher quality exercise attire.
>>
>>71731343

Completely and patently false, nothing from sports authority is of better quality, you are simply paying for convenience in having sports clothes and equipment all in one spot
>>
File: 57158c216c6b6347794471.gif (3 MB, 450x187) Image search: [Google]
57158c216c6b6347794471.gif
3 MB, 450x187
>>71730305
Retail stores are just Fitting Rooms now.
Ive went many times to Express and Levi's stores in the mall just to find out what my size is, so that i could go home and buy the exact same thing online ONLY because their websites had coupons that arent useable in-store.
Ive asked why its that way and they simply said the website is run differently than the store.
Its their own fault.
so i blame coupons.
>>
>>71731106
>le 50s meme

If you want to know what the 50s were like then watch The Godfather and pay attention to all the subtle details. Some parts were awesome (smoking a cigarette while laying in a barber's chair to get shaved) but most of it was crude ghetto shit.

Most "50s" media was a complete fabrication of the way life worked, because real life isn't palatable enough for television / radio / cinema. They were a product of ideals and imagination, not a documentation of what was actually happening at the time.

>click on all the shitty old cars with paint jobs that look like concrete debris
>>
America is going shit
>>
>>71731343
You talking brand name stuff? Nike is Nike and UA is UA, it doesn't matter where you buy it. Look for sales and shop around. You can find the same stuff at different places for half the cost sometimes.
>>
>>71731301
China makes the best sporting equipment and it's dirt cheap
>>
>>71731637
You, sir, are correct.
>>
Meanwhile my local used sporting goods store is thriving and not going anywhere anytime soon. People don't want to pay the prices these places charge. That's why the second hand market has boomed in recent years.
>>
>>71730305
Clothing has become more of a commodity in a weak economy. Sports Authority sells recreational goods that are by definition a luxury. Workers are working more hours per week than 10 years ago and for less money.
>>
>>71730305
i can have anything i want delivered to my house in a day or two

groceries are the last bastion of retail, and they will be gone soon enough as well.
>>
>>71731144
This guy gets it
>>
>>71731837
I'm already seeing grocery stores close down and stay closed - and in the good part of town.

The past eight years have been one continuous game of musical chairs.
>>
>>71730305
Because Americans are all super fat and none of those businesses market anything to fat people
>>
>>71730715
This, that's the thing about being popular. You're only popular for so long.
>>
File: 1456451066630.jpg (77 KB, 605x605) Image search: [Google]
1456451066630.jpg
77 KB, 605x605
>>71730305

Rejoice by this fact.

Retail is the absolute garbage of the economy. Bottom feeders.

They take from our economy but they give nothing back but low-end, wage-slave type jobs.

They allow Chinese manufacturers to sell to our public, and the retailer skims off a criminally inflated margin, having added no value, nothing whatsoever. They get off without paying much tax, they don't employ any highly skilled people except wage-slaves at the retail level and a few manage-cucks at the corporate level.

Big retail is a parasitic entity on our economy. If Trump when, and he equalizes Chinese labour cost advantage with tariffs, ALL of these cocksuckers, like Home Depot, Best Buy etc. will vanish. Deservedly.

I'm proud of the fact I haven't purchased anything from a box store in over 6 years.
>>
>>71730305
Sport's Authority ---- Didn't Sell Guns
Sports Chalet --------- Didn't Sell Guns
>>
>>71730305
Boo Hoo mean old capitalism shut down the cesspool that I spent my youth in.
>>
File: 1363011738573.jpg (95 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1363011738573.jpg
95 KB, 600x600
>>71730305
>Sports Authority
>Sports Chalet
kids no longer play outdoors sports, go camping, go fishing, biking, rollerskating, and all the other fun outdoors shit we used to do before the internet.
kids don't even go outside anymore.
all they do is play vidya, watch netflix, smoke weed, circlejerk on reddirt about atheism, eat doritos and pizza and mt. dew and squander their youth jerking off to japanese anime while shitposting on a mongolian basketweaving image board.
in other words, jews win.
>>
>>71732122
>implying cheap, unskilled labour isn't necessary for the success of capitalists
>>
>>71730305
>Aeropastale
This is one stock I looked at about 18 months ago and when other similar placed retailers were going under they seemed to be going strong. This looks more like a industry wide happening. Rent is too high. Cash flow isn't cutting it.
>>
>>71732122
you don't shop at target or walmart? where do you leafs do your shopping?
>>
>>71731558
source?
>>
>>71732286

Capitalists will find a way.

The cheap Asian labour just makes their lives far too easy at the expense of our long term prosperity.
>>
>>71731558
>click on all the shitty old cars with paint jobs that look like concrete debris
what does that even mean?
>>
>>71732122
>ig retail is a parasitic entity on
Home Depot destroyed the small hardware store business. There used to be small hardware stores with knowledgeable people. Now you can got to Home Depot and pay $12 for a paint scraper made in China and its just a stamped piece of metal.
>>
>>71730715

Exactly. That shit wasn't even popular 3 years ago. Surprised it took them this long to go under.
>>
File: 1442668394822.jpg (213 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
1442668394822.jpg
213 KB, 1200x800
>>71732386
>you don't shop at target or walmart?

Lel, Target failed in Canada last year and closed down all of its stores.

Walmart doesn't really have anything I can't get elsewhere, for the same price or less.

The grocery scene here is dominated by two families that established chains decades ago - Sobeys and Loblaws.

And Walmart seems to attract the most unsavory humans of society, I'd pay a premium to avoid standing in line with the bottom feeders.
>>
>>71730305
http://www.exposingtruth.com/new-un-report-finds-almost-no-industry-profitable-if-environmental-costs-were-included/

Here's free market for you in a nutshell.
Just some neo-liberal bullshit.
>>
File: 4aeUEQa.jpg (942 KB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
4aeUEQa.jpg
942 KB, 5312x2988
>>71732527
>Home Depot destroyed the small hardware store business. There used to be small hardware stores with knowledgeable people. Now you can got to Home Depot and pay $12 for a paint scraper made in China and its just a stamped piece of metal.

Exactly, in the long run, the cost to our society and our prosperity was FAR greater than the cheaper cost of Chinese consumer goods. We lost millions of jobs, government and municipal coffers were robbed of trillions of dollars in tax revenue that would have been collected from workers earning a living in manufacturing.

The lie of Free Trade was sold to you by Nixon and expanded under Reagan, the only winners were the people who skimmed off the difference between Chinese labour, assisted by the zero tariff environment (while at the same time, our own products were being heavily burdened with tariffs).

That's why it's most important you cock suckers elect Trump. The only man willing to tackle this monumental task.
>>
File: 1453740661491.jpg (51 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1453740661491.jpg
51 KB, 720x960
>>71732627
>>
File: 1427805977445.png (196 KB, 689x873) Image search: [Google]
1427805977445.png
196 KB, 689x873
>>71732122
If I shave the fur will you die?
>>
>>71730305
>no it is not due to online sales
Retard alert
>>
>>71730305
The only one I'm kinda disappointed about is Aeropostale. They have some damn comfy jeans and their button ups aren't too bad either. Prices have been ridiculously cheap there because of their decline.
>>
>>71732122
what a calm monster-cat
>>
>>71730715

ding ding ding ding
>>
>>71730305
My old man thinks it's because of taxes and inflation. Said the middle class is shrinking and we need to change our taxes straight flat tax or something till we can stabilize.
>>
File: total-debt.jpg (49 KB, 690x458) Image search: [Google]
total-debt.jpg
49 KB, 690x458
>>71730305
Pic related is a proxy for total debt, both public and private, in the US. IMO, it is a lowball measure too. People and companies are too busy servicing debt to buy shit.
>>
i stopped buying $25 graphic tees and started buying comfy plain shirts for $5
>>
>>71731727
You are incorrect
>>
>>71730305
Easy.

Young people dont like the outdoors or anything that requires putting the phone down and getting outside. (explains the sporting goods stores)

Young people have to shop at the "coolest" store for acceptance into a social groups in high school, and aeropostale, qucksilver, and pacific sunwear, are now all "uncool".

>target young people and they dont buy your shit
>go bankrupt
>>
>>71732122
You are a retard.
>>
because I wear the same shit for 10 years
>>
>>71732522
His captcha
>>
>>71732974
Don't leave out Billy Bob Clinton
>>
As a surfer, Quiksilver going under bums me out. Fuck pacsun though, that shit was for posers since day 1
>>
>>71732527
>>71732974
>I never want to start my own business! My plan is to work a shitty job my whole life because I have no goals or ambitions!
t. you
>>
>>71730305

They can't compete with the oligarch companies like Amazon that don't pay taxes and control the government.
>>
>>71732647
>This shit we totally made up means free markets don't work!
>>
Sports Authority is owned by Bain capital so they will take out huge loans to save the company then just shutter it. Mitt Romney and his vulture capitalists aren't stupid.
>>
>>71732627
>I'd pay a premium to avoid standing in line with the bottom feeders.
Nah fuck that, I'm frugal. I'd still shop at Walmart even if I made $100k a year. Stores like Publix (southern USA grocery store) are such a ripoff it's not even funny
>>
>>71730755
This. I went in to buy a basketball and these mother fuckers selling shit like for $50. And the small children sized ones are like $40. Fuck em.
>>
That's a shame, I bought a couple zip hoodies from Quicksilver and they're pretty nice and durable.
Aside from that they're a fucking ripoff and I got my hoodies online at a clearance, wish I had gotten more.
>>
>>71734424
>Aeropostale uncool
I am getting old.
>>
>>71735437
Literally only nigger kids have shopped there for like 7 years
>>
>>71730305
The economy isn't recoverying which makes cheaper options like online and walmart the only option for many people.

In some ways these stores suck and deserve to go, but also some of what they offer is good, just people dont have the luxury now, buying power is fucked.
>>
>>71730958
This is the only correct answer.

/thread
>>
File: IllusionOfChoice.jpg (420 KB, 1600x1005) Image search: [Google]
IllusionOfChoice.jpg
420 KB, 1600x1005
>>71734977
>I like to live in denial because the truth is too much to bear

Market with no laws and regulations will only lead to neo-liberal plutocracy where bigger corporations will buy off the competition and do whatever the hell they want with the world as long as it benefits the shareholders.
>>
>lululemon and michael kors are still profitable and opening stores everywhere
>hurr guise it's because the middle class is taxed to death

Those stores are shit and didn't innovate just like Blockbuster.
>>
The few times I've gone to my local Sports Authority there was about 4 people there counting myself, and the place is huge.

>>71731785
Nailed it

While production has gone up, the value of your dollar has gone down

Though I wouldn't say it's a "weak" economy. It's stronger than ever. The only issue is that its growth has barely benefited anyone except those at the top.
>>
File: large_jns-emptystores.jpg (49 KB, 453x294) Image search: [Google]
large_jns-emptystores.jpg
49 KB, 453x294
>>71730305
OVEREXPANSION.

The US has an insane amount of retail space per consumer.

•US 46.6 square feet
•India 2.0 square feet
•Mexico 1.5 square feet
•UK 23.0 square feet
•Canada 13.0 square feet
•Australia 6.5 square feet

Add in the US being the world leader in online sales and you have the perfect storm of store closings. Even without the internet, stores would still have a hard time surviving since they were vastly over built. Everyone wanted to be the next Wal-Mart and have a bigbox store in every community. There's simply not enough demand for there to be multiple bigbox sports stores in every town of 10,000.

At least most of the buildings were cheaply made so they'll be easy to tear down and the loss of capital will be minimal, relatively speaking.
>>
>>71733914
Tits or gtfo
you beta normal-core basic bitch
>>
>>71736211
Except, YOU can be a shareholder. This isn't some grand conspiracy, you can be a part of this group who makes money when a larger corporation buys another.
>pic
OH NO! Companies buy other companies that improve there offers to consumers! Cruel WOOOORLD!

tl;dr, you're a retard
>>
>>71730305
>Owning a sports store franchise in an obese country

It was doomed since the start, they must've coasted on gun sales alone to have lasted as long as they did.
>>
>>71737090
Neither of them sell guns though. Big 5 does and they're coasting along fine, for now
>>
>>71735099
You'll get disease and die earlier by standing in those lines. And let's not mention the spit in the food.
>>
File: Unknown.jpg (13 KB, 276x182) Image search: [Google]
Unknown.jpg
13 KB, 276x182
>>71731558
>the 50's weren't the epitome of American culture and economic power
You sound like a nigger
>>
There's too much overhead in an actual store. The prices are too high compared to online retailers.

Eventually the stores are going to become automated with a major reduction in hired human help.

This can be seen with the increasing number of self checkout lines, but will begin to include others aspects of the shopping experience.
>>
>>71734472

Shill pls, name one benefit to big box retail stores.
>>
>>71730305
china just collapsed our dollar with a new gold based currency. Its over
>>
>>71734918

What kind of pitiful rebuttal is this? I don't work for retail, it's not difficult to spot the harmful effects of big box retail on the national economies.
>>
>>71731540
its costs more to have people at the store front. they incentivize you to shop online where it costs them less money to sell. also no theft online
>>
Stores that did not innovate after/during the peak of their success in the early 2000s. While netflix was staying relevant by pioneering online streaming, blockbuster was going under for trying to maintain the status quo. In the same vein, amazon revolutionized shopping while pacsun asked you to drive to the mall to pay 20% more for a medium tee shirt
>>
>>71734317
servicing debt is another way of saying a long term purchase with interest lol
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.