[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it over for me /pol/? UNIVERSITY THREAD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 395x350) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 395x350
Is it over?

>Startinrg university in September
>I'll be 20 almost 21
>Degree course is 3 years (1 more if you want work placement)

Feel like a failure tbqhwy family, I hope when I graduate it isn't too late to find a job in the field. (CS)

Any other /pol/acks going to university a few years later?
>>
Yes 22year old in my first year
>>
File: 1455755102653.jpg (54 KB, 600x908) Image search: [Google]
1455755102653.jpg
54 KB, 600x908
>>71713448

Uhh since when is it "too late" to do anything? You're 21, not 48.
>>
File: 1415921738920.jpg (21 KB, 500x404) Image search: [Google]
1415921738920.jpg
21 KB, 500x404
23 here

Could've gone to uni, but ended up not.

Didn't even tell my parents I wasn't going, I think they just assumed I wasn't when I wasn't telling them about any applications. I do still get the 'you could've gone to uni' off-the-cuff remarks from my dad though.

>tfw my mum endlessly asks about how my 'career' is going at work

Being a disappointment isn't fun, lads.
>>
>>71713448
you should be able to find a job cock sucking you've already got significant experience
>>
>>71713548
Even if he was 48 he could still get a degree and get a career.
>>
>>71713448

I want to choke Jeb while I ram my rock hard penis into one of his eye sockets
>>
>>71713595

I've excelled in the field. Most people don't embrace it.
>>
Well, people who want to do Law (a J.D.) need to do an undergrad degree first before starting their law degree - which is about 21yrs. You have plenty of time senpai.
>>
>>71713448
You're retarded. I've seen people in their 30s 40s and even 50s at university. Either going to university for the first time, or re-training. You don't magically stop learning things as soon as you hit 25. And the days of getting hired on as the janitor and working your way to upper management are waaaay the fuck gone. It's normal to have more than one career in your lifetime now.
>>
They teach you a lot of worthless stuff that no one uses. How else to fill 3 year degree course?

Experience is what matters, not a piece of paper. And I say that as someone who earns £400 a day programming.
>>
Finished my CS degree at 26

Right now I know I'm better off than most of my friends who went to uni straight after school
>>
Thank you very much for the words of help lads.

I don't know it seems as if people push this idea that if you don't go to university straight out of the gate then you're a failure.
>>
I would look through the syllabus closely, look what languages they intend to teach you.

Then look through the job ads, and ask yourself why are there no jobs in what they are teaching? Why are the not teaching me Java? C#?

One of my friends who did this degree quite recently told me they were learning Pascal!!??
>>
>>71713996
Programming is a subject where I prefer a classroom setting

When it comes to math classrooms can fuck off
>>
>>71713448

I know a 55 year old married woman with a couple kids who just got her MD

never too late
>>
>>71714241
CS isn't "learn how to program" it's the theoretical Science of working with Information and Algorithms. The first year I haven't seen a computer in my CS studies. It's mostly about Logic, math and theoretical informatics. If you want to program you don't have to visit an university.
>>
>>71713448
Dude I'm 28 going into my senior year (undergraduate) this fall.

You're okay.
>>
>>71714378

Its never too late to get an expensive piece of paper.

It can be too late for that paper to have any value.

55 year old with a piece of paper and no experience after getting that paper? No chance of being employed in that field. None. There are lots of people in their 50s looking for work who did the degree at 18 and have 25 years experience.

>>71714449

Totally and utterly worthless. I'm in my 40s and have worked in IT since I was 26. Programmer, IT Manager and then consultant.

But do what you like :) Its a fun experience.
>>
>>71714671
I don't care who you are, just clarifying that CS has nothing to do with being a programming Slave and is often done without actively teaching a higher programming language. If it's needed or not in the actual Job market is irrelevant.
>>
>>71713448
Brah I'm 23 with a BA that I've never applied because I don't want to get into an arts career.

I'm starting a degree in mining engineering this fall when I'll be 24, so I won't have a good job lined up until I'm 27. Don't let it get you down, work hard, and you'll have a good career soon enough and I guarantee you you'll be ahead of most of your peers.

Of course I'm a babyface so I still look like I'm 20.
>>
Take the Dad Pill, get in control of your life.
>>
I started University at 24. Prior to that I had to take two years of high school courses to get my prerequisites. Ended up switching majors and I'm now in CS. Looks like I won't graduate until I'm 30. I'm disadvantaged compared to people that entered the industry at 21, but that doesn't make me a failure. Failure would be never going back to university/pursuing a career and working McJobs for the rest of my life. Don't worry, dude.
>>
>>71713448
I will be 27 when I go there.
>>
I started Uni when I was a 26, I'll be finished when I'm 32.
>>
File: trumpheil.jpg (445 KB, 3200x1680) Image search: [Google]
trumpheil.jpg
445 KB, 3200x1680
>>71713448
Don't be fucking stupid lad and don't be a defeatist

t.31 y.o. 2nd semester in an open uni, in Greece of all places
>>
I know a guy who started to study engineering at 30 and he ended up as a EE professor. He played piano before deciding to try it. Just go for it.
>>
>>71713595
Why not just go? 23 is young, I'm in school now and 26.
>>
>>71713448
No its not over, when you're better than most at your job, you will always find one.

t. Studied from 24-28yo.
>>
>>71715562
>family is financially dependent on my wage
>not suited to formal education
>can barely do retail, let alone a real job

And so on and so forth
>>
>>71713448
I will be 25 when I start my studies this fall. Not optimal but better late than never.
>>
>>71715717
Are u supporting your parents financially? Wtf? Don't you have welfare systems in the UK.
>>
File: 19200391004.jpg (48 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
19200391004.jpg
48 KB, 1280x720
>CELESTIAL Grade NEET
>started college at 27
>got an engineering job quickly from engineer friends
>mfw some kids actually have panic attacks because they have a 3 month gap in their resume
>>
File: 1426159795902.png (6 KB, 365x276) Image search: [Google]
1426159795902.png
6 KB, 365x276
>>71715616
>Studied from 24-28yo.
>tfw I'm 24 and start studying this year for approximately the same amount of time
>>
File: 1440622649005.jpg (62 KB, 960x959) Image search: [Google]
1440622649005.jpg
62 KB, 960x959
>>71713448
> uni at 21
> implying this is strange

Over the Canal here, about 50% of students fail their first two years by partying and then reorientate to start over again in another university direction. They all get careers and no one cares. In some European countries (Germany, Denmark) it is normal to go travel and work for 1-2 years after secondary school and then start uni.

Surely, people who do everything early (like myself 1 BA, 1 MA, 1 MSc, currently first year of PhD at 24) have a personal advantage in that they start earning money and building a network earlier in life. But in a whole lifetime a few extra years is not even significant,

Like my uni's career guidance tutors told me: For a 50 year old manager looking to hire, there is no difference between a 27 year old graduate and a 23 year old one. Their all just greenhorns who get selected based on merit (or sex and race depending on diversity quota's).
>>
File: internet-cafe-.jpg (95 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
internet-cafe-.jpg
95 KB, 800x600
>>71713448
When you are 40 or 50 no one cares about when you started university.

Think about us Finns, we gotta do military service which pretty much makes us all miss one year of out youth and we can't realistically attend let alone study for entrance exams that year so it may create a few unwanted gap years after high school.

Meanwhile girls just waltz from high school to university... or spend their token gap year traveling the world and getting fucked.
>>
>>71715790
Sure, but bennies are for autists, people with 'bad backs' and single mothers with 10 children, of which we don't fall under.

And it's a long story as to why I have to help out to the tune of £300-400 a month, so I won't delve into it (basics is lotsa debt from when father had ill-health for a decade, including a transplant, with no gubmint support). Along with now living with a single parent. And much, much more.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.