[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't millennials save money?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 9
File: Life is like a box of Dota 2.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Life is like a box of Dota 2.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
Why don't millennials save money?
>>
>>71699268
cause weed
>>
>Unoffical inflation rate 7%
>Aussie dollar worth dogshit and even less in future
Maybe if I had 100k spare, but if I had that sort of money the fucking housing market would just get it anyway.
>>
>>71699268

cuz iphones, imacs, dudeweed lmao, nice cars, nice aprtment, nice clothes.

people can't see your checking account or broker account or ira

most degenerate materialistic society ever
>>
IF YOU WERE BORN AFTER 1986 BUT BEFORE 1999

YOU ARE A MILLENNIAL

STOP PRETENDING YOU AREN'T
>>
Because we're a generation that's suffering for the crimes to the ecosystem by previous generations. At least that's probably what the elite tell themselves to block out how they're ruining the country and world so they can hoard more wealth.
>>
Student loan debt actually, anyone who thinks it's because of weed or phones or whatever is an idiot
>>
>>71700815
lol why though? We are really in the middle I grew up in Florida with fucking late 80s fucking styles and than late 90s shit but whatever.
>>
>>71700766
This

I was able to save about a thousand a month on a $48K salary, not including the 12% I was dumping into my IRA, and I had a mortgage. If you cook your food at home, and don't spend all your money on materialistic shit, you won't have a problem saving money.

I now make $70K, because I also worked and obeyed authority at work. A lot of millenials have a lot of problem with authority. Learn your place, and play by the rules, and don't buy shit just because "it's just $3". Life isn't hard, but it will be when you're convinced that you need to spend every cent that you make.

Also, men, when you spend money on a woman, you subconsciously communicate to her that you believe that your value is lower than hers, and that you need money to compensate. That's a turn off. Stop spending your money on woman, they'll come to respect you much more.
>>
>>71700642
Basically the same here in Florida but about x1.5 times worse. I am moving out because simply put there is no way to afford living
>>
>>71699268
Because they are degenerates
>>
>>71700892
Funny how I was able to work a job 32 hours a week and pay for 3.5 years of school and end with no debt at all....

You have debt not because school costs too much, but because you live lavish luxurious lifestyles and don't unionize your students. most of your educational money is being spent on sports. Grow a pair, and take charge and start the change faggot.

Get a job, work, and life a frugal life, and you won't have college debt. If you need too, life at home for two years and go to community college while you build up savings to pay for state college.

Hint: "The college experience" is just code for "drugs/alcohol/sex". If you really want to pay an extra 7K/year for those things, that's fine by me, but don't bitch when after 5 years of school you have an extra 35K in debt. You knew damn well you were paying, and you knew damn well it was because if you paid you might get laid a few more times. That was your choice, now you get to live with the consequences, while the mature people who understand that payoff of delayed gratification get a massive head-start in life. Hope the pussy was worth it chad.
>>
>>71699268
because its more fun to burn on guns and motorcycle parts
>>
I enjoy destroying myself with alcohol too much
>>
>>71699268
Because this society doesn't encourage intelligent economic decisions. You're supposed to "enjoy your youth" and "live". By that, they of course mean blow all your money on stupid shit and be a materialistic cunt until the best years of your life are gone and you've done nothing to lay the foundation for a nice cruise through your old age.
>>
>>71699268
Wtf is that picture
>>
>>71699268
cause they don't have any to save
>>
>>71701654
>tfw i do all this but know ill be left with regrets for not having fun while my peers are young and i have access to young pussy
>>
>>71700815
>TFW born in '84
>Not really a Millennial
>Not really a Gen Xer either

>>71699268
Spend it afore you lose it. Whaddya gonna do, drop your spare change in an IRA? With these interest rates?
>>
>>71699268
Seriously, I mean all they have to do is save 40% of their income to retire comfortably.
>>
>>71699268
>saving money
>when the value of money on every country is slowly going lower and lower and lower

We are still trying to recover from a crisis; Why do people keep forgeting that?
>>
>>71699268
because they don't have any to begin with
>>
i've been putting money into my portfolio for years. guess I'm pretty good with long term stocks because i've got about 6 digits so far. it's really not hard, you just need to take the time to learn what you want to invest/drop your money in.

i just hope bernie doesn't become president so i get my shit fucked by capital gains
>>
>>71699268
Because they're idiots, that's why.

Almost every single person that's my age (early 20s) always claims to have no money by the end of the week. Most people here my age earn around $700-1100 a week. And they have no fucking money. What the fuck do they even spend it on?
>>
File: 1460862401344.jpg (388 KB, 1803x1351) Image search: [Google]
1460862401344.jpg
388 KB, 1803x1351
>>71700642
im up 10k from saving
>didn't fall for the uni meme
>no debt
>live with my girlfriend and her family so cheap rent
>actually think before i buy
if i can just get a job without having to have degrees and masters n shit i'll be laughing
>waiting for that job market to get better

>still waiting...
>>
>>71700815

"Generations" are pretty stupid.

I consider people to be in similar peer groups every four years: 18-22 years old, 23-27, 28-32, 33-37, 38-42.

I'm 29 years old, I consider people 28-32 to be my "peers" in similar life situations.

And of course, everyone beneath the age of 40 is still in a youthful stage in their life and can dress and act a certain way, ie wear certain clothes and go out to bars. That shit starts getting weird when someone is in their 50s and trying to be all trendy at some club.

That's how I look at age anyway.
>>
File: image.jpg (77 KB, 1190x595) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77 KB, 1190x595
>>71699268
>>71700310
>>71700766
>>71702827
1995 with 10k in muh IRA , and 9k in the bank. AMA
>>
>>71699268
Because it's obsolete.

Money needs to change. It will need something more technocratic.
>>
>>71699268

i don't have any. have to pay for 5 kinds of insurance
>>
Millennials don't save money because they do not know its value. First they were funded by the bank of mom and dad then funded cheap credit. On top of that its unlikely they've held down a job and paid bills.
>>
>>71701394
>>71701066
will bernouts ever recover?
>>
>>71700815
This
92 here, the only thing i remember in the 90s was moving in 97 and kindergarten in 98/99 and that’s about it.
>>
>>71699268
I can't save any money because my fucking wages aren't high enough.
>>
>>71704850
so what are you spending it all on?
>>
>>71699268
Because we live in a society in which saving money isn't necessary anymore.

Nearly everyone of us can easily buy all the stuff in range of the middle class, there's nothing that we couldn't buy in a instant and the permanent change and fast paced evelution of technology and trends forces us on a social and economic level to buy more and more.

Take electronic goods most of them are build in such way that it degrades faster and that it's live span is reduced same for clothing.

30 years ago shit was really expensive and money was hard earned so the consequences were that you had to save money if you wanted to buy sth.

Not to forgett that our society is in full hedonism mode you just have to look at younger generations especially when they are partying.
>>
>>71704908
Oh dude, you will be the first to go in the happening.
>>
>>71699268
I just think its so crazy how literally one of the top 100 attractive women just happened into dota2, one of the reasons I watch.
>>
>>71704305
this.

fucking this to the goddamn max.
>>
>>71701394
God damn this post is too real
>>
>>71704269
Creating a score system where you get points for presence/overtime/performance those points allow you to get higher ranks the higher the rank, the more often you can buy goods ore more expensive goods.
>>
>Live life in the fun millennial fashion while you're young
>don't live life fun and save so you can comfortably die of old age

The question is do I want to be miserable now or later? Those who come from wealth need not apply
>>
>>71701394
I already have enough debt out the ass from fucking getting injuryed without health insurance so at this fucking point I don't give a fuck about how much debI have.
>>
>>71699268
You stole it all. Everybody has either 1/4 of a job per person or -9 jobs per person
>>
Because I used to be a faggot liberal shithead before /pol/ and yesterday I signed up for my first brokerage account and I'm considering going into a business management degree to better serve my country.
>>
>>71705033
Who?
>>
>>71705027
I wanted to explain the zeitgeist of our society. But you are right if the happening strikes I'm pretty rekt with my momentary
Situation.
>>
>>71699268
Because that takes long term commitment and self control, two things they lack.
>>
>>71704908
>Because we live in a society in which saving money isn't necessary anymore
Literally every economist and political theorist agrees that a debter nation is in deep shit

>Nearly everyone of us can easily buy all the stuff in range of the middle class
Except the middle class is being entirely wiped out by mortage debt. If there isn't sweeping education reform in this country in the next ~20 years every middle-class American is fucked.

>Not to forgett that our society is in full hedonism mode you just have to look at younger generations especially when they are partying.
This is old man-tier bullshit. Every generation of kids parties unless there's a draft
>>
>>71704305
>mfw car insurance is >1/2 of my monthly income
>mfw i make a bit more than the average kid my age in my area, although i only work about 20 hours/ week because of college
having said that, ive rarely got less than $1k in emergency money. i live with my parents so i can afford to spend quite a bit on firearms, which i feel is an infinitely better way to spend money than iphones and weed.
>>
File: 1457416389403.jpg (46 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1457416389403.jpg
46 KB, 640x480
>>71699268
inflation/low interest rates and nowhere safe for noobs to invest
>>
>>71705826
What kind of race car has that high of insurance? Or were you in a bunch of wrecks?
>>
>>71705033
Wtf are you even talking about.
I religiously follow dota, and have no idea who that chick is
She must not be important in the scene. Like what so ever.
>>
>>71705281
Dude in 30 as long as serious bad shit does not happen on a global scale that stops progress in the west. Living comfortable and cheap will be easy as fuck.

I wouldn't bother saving. Food will be cheap as fuck due to underground plant factorys.

Meat growth chambers should be around by then so even meat will be cheap. Climate change will be the biggest threat if China does not fuck off with all the pollution.
>>
>>71705950

he works 20 hours a week. not hard to get an insurance bill that covers two weeks pay if you're under 25. doesn't matter how good a driver you are
>>
>>71705950
i drive a 99 jeep grand cherokee and im a 19 year old boy whos never been in an accident. it literally costs me ~$180 a month to insure anything with an engine and four wheels
>>
>>71706071
People forget insurance for unmarried males under 25 is fucking expensive. Holy shit the rate drop on my 26th bday floored me.
>>
>>71706028
I see. When I was under 25 a "safe"/shitty car's insurance was half what a "fast"/sporty car was. But both were high as fuck. I paid 350$/month insurance for anow Eagle Talon awd turbo.
>>
>>71705950
>>71706071
mine is also around $175/month (20yo)
>>
>>71706171

mine was 170 a month for a clunker with a clean record. dropped to 30 when i turned 25
>>
>>71705215
>Creating a score system where you get points for presence/overtime/performance those points allow you to get higher ranks the higher the rank, the more often you can buy goods ore more expensive goods.
That's pretty good, but still - act with caution, work out the kinks.
>>
>>71700860
sounds like you're just blaming other people rather than doing something to change it
>>
>>71699268
Explain how that's suppose to happen???
>>
File: 1453230107523.jpg (27 KB, 500x304) Image search: [Google]
1453230107523.jpg
27 KB, 500x304
>>71699268
I actually do save my money. I'm pretty sure there is Jew-blood in my veins.

I grew up watching my parents (mostly my mother) struggle to pay bills and it scared me. It still does; I'm absolutely terrified of debt and I don't even have a credit card. Whenever I want something I save up for it and usually by the time I get the money I don't spend it because I just like the number in my savings account too much to see it go down. My plan is to save enough money to buy a house (fuck a mortgage) and then start saving like hell for retirement.

>mfw my whole family thinks I'm a poorfag but I actually have more money than all of them combined
>>
>>71706071
Jesus fucking Christ i fixed a 95 Plymouth voyager and drove it when i was 17 and i paid $52 a mouth. Ya i was tagged onto my parents but when i made it my own plan i only paid $55. your getting jewed hard
>>
I'm 29 years old, got about 10k in the bank, dunno what to do with it.

I would like to buy a house but what the fuck...I have to get into DEBT to do that. I don't want to. Shit maybe I should buy a fucking trailer in a trailer park or something. I want to be a homeowner but I don't want to be in DEBT and risk the banks taking my house should I become unable to work.
>>
>>71706392
>My plan is to save enough money to buy a house (fuck a mortgage) and then start saving like hell for retirement.
Your money will become obsolete. Every currency.

The ideas of how to get people to work has to change. The ideas on how to work out proportions has to change.

It can't be "one size fits all" it needs to be flexible.
>>
>>71706409
I think a big factor is also what city/ neighborhood. When I moved out and changed my address, the cost almost doubled since I moved to ghetto downtown, not suburbs anymore.
>>
>>71699268
but i do save money, I literally live as frugally as possible too. I eat one meal a day. I could literally make 1 million bucks last 2 lifetimes
>>
>>71706409
how long ago was that, pa? i have the cheapest available to me.
>>
>>71706516
The trailer isn't a bad idea if you are going to inherit your parents' house one day. Just live below means until then.
>>
>>71706392
Dude, you are absolutely going to screw yourself over credit-wise. I hope you at least took out money for college. If not, get a credit card with literally the lowest possible spending limit and use it for gas or something, just so you have a credit score. Apartment complexes and literally any place that rents will demand to check your credit score, and if you don't have one they will fucking gouge you. Unless you plan to live out of your car until you can afford a house, get a goddamn credit score.
>>
>>71706674

>inheritance

never, EVER count on this. never underestimate how self centered old people are. they'd sell land thats been in the family for generations to live on an island for a year
>>
>>71706071
>tfw I pay $700 a year after putting the car on my dad's name because then it's cheaper
>would have been $1300 easily if the car was under my name
Young people with cars are royally fucked over by car insurance companies on a daily basis
>>
>>71706674

I wouldn't mind living in a trailer. I'm not some classist fuck.

But even with buying cheap housing, would I even own the land? I don't think that people own the land in trailer parks, so they have to follow all these gay ass rules.

>Can't buy a house without going into debt for 30 years

Shit sucks. What do you guys do for home ownership or plan to do?
>>
>>71707005

you have to pay lot rent if you have a trailer. unless your family has land you can put it on
>>
>>71706814
This or the nastiest stories lawyers tell are about divorce and inheritance. Families will waste it all on legal fees over decades rather than share.
>>
>>71706576
>Your money will become obsolete. Every currency.

This is one of my concerns; I've been thinking about buying some guns or maybe a new car but I know shit about guns and my car runs fine. Even if I did come to a decision, I don't think I could bring myself to spend the money.

>>71706814
I can believe that. I'm fairly positive my parents wouldn't do that. I know I don't have an inheritance because my parents are old school "heir and spare" type people (I'm the 3rd son). Pretty sure they'll leave something for their only daughter though (she's also the youngest).

>>71707005
I'm just going to buy the house outright; no mortgage. I live in a state that still has some cheap, rural farmland so I think I might buy myself enough for a farm or something.
>>
>>71700766
this, also I can't get a job or into professional programs because I'm a fucking social autist. hopefully toastmasters helps
>>
>>71699268

Because butt plugs and lipsticks costs money.
>>
>>71707126
cars are shit at holding value. people will always pay for guns and bullets though. gold may be something to look into as well. i dont know much about gold, myself.
>>
Born in '91, 50k in my IRA.

Fuck my generation though.
>>
File: 1457255506503.jpg (33 KB, 650x488) Image search: [Google]
1457255506503.jpg
33 KB, 650x488
pingaz
>>
File: Steve Zissou.jpg (20 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
Steve Zissou.jpg
20 KB, 500x250
>>71699268
I'm a millennial and I save. Granted, with my current tuition costs I can only afford $120 a month but my retirement account is slowly growing. My roommate saves a ton. Granted, we are both from upper middle class backgrounds and understand investing and finance issues. I also stand to inherit a couple of million dollars. Some people were just raised with no concept of how to build wealth because their parents were ignorant poorfags.
>>
>>71707064
And you still have property tax to deal with.
>>
>>71706867
24 and paying $3600 a year in insurance fuck
>>
>>71707126

Is that realistic? Even a house on cheap rural farmland is going to cost you what... over 100k?

Do you even have a fraction of that saved up already?
>>
>>71700815
tfw when born in 2010
>>
>>71699268
>implying millenials have money

top lel
>>
>>71707299
I've invested in silver. If another depression hits I reason I'll be able to hold on to the silver longer than the gold but eventually the government will confiscate both.

>>71707550
My girlfriend's parents bought a 4 bed/2bath on 3 acres for $89,000.
I have ~$30,000 saved up so far.
>>
File: 1454775070313.jpg (198 KB, 706x595) Image search: [Google]
1454775070313.jpg
198 KB, 706x595
>>71700815
>generations less than 20 years

"Millennial" is just a catch-all term for covering up the phenomenon of social justice fucktards. This stuff was already out in force before gen-Y was born, but now it's an entrenched establishment. Mass media will credit "millenials" for whatever is going on, whether it's by the hand of gen-Y or gen-X or baby boomers.
>>
>>71699268
Why do you guys pick on Soe? wtf
>>
>>71706763
I'm not going to put myself in debt with a credit card just to have a good credit score. I wouldn't use it even if I got it because I pay cash for just about everything. And I'm renting from my mother and it's cheap so I don't need to worry about a credit check there.
>>
>>71699268
Got about 15k in savings
Friends always complain about having no money, and by no money I really mean nothing
I can't imagine how you can life like that
My parents have been putting some of our child benefits aside since me and my siblings were born
I added money some money I got from birthdays, christening and confirmation
I'm still living with my parents but so do almost all of my friends
My older sister, a fuckin leftist cunt, though not a tumblr tier refugeeswelcome bull dkye, spends all of her money on travelling and pleasure
I can't understand any of this
I'd feel extremely uncomfortable without having this money, though I don't even use it and never needed it before
I also feel uncomfortable when leaving the house with less than 50 bucks in the wallet
>>
>>71708115
Small edit
Most of my friends show a lot of envy when talking about this and call me a richfag
My family is barely even middleclass
>>
>>71701499
It is expensive but it makes my daily redpill easier to swallow
>>
>>71708102
You seriously do not understand finances. You want to wait until you've saved up for a house? That's great, I think that's a fairly good idea. BUT, until that point you have to live somewhere, and unless you're going to live with your parents for the next 5+ years while you save up to buy even a mediocre home, you have to find someplace to live on your own. This means having a credit score, and to get a credit score you have to actually have some kind of a record with a bank. A single credit card for gas won't put you in the red. you buy almost nothing with it, it's cheap, and you very quickly get a reputation as a good spender with the banks. Before long, you find your rates are going down and you get access to better deals.

IT'S WORTH IT, take this from a guy whose parents used basically every resource to ensure I would know what I was doing financially.
>>
>>71708115
>>71708247
>Most of my friends show a lot of envy when talking about this and call me a richfag

2 of the 3 friends that know about my financials are the same. They are butthurt and jealous but they could be doing just as well if they weren't irresponsible with their money.
>>
>>71699268
Another "borne in le wrong genereshun" thread.

Seriously you fucking retards, they have been posting "why are millennials x" threads multiple times everyday.

Divide and conquer says the boomer jew rat.
>>
>>71704008
Sleep tight
This is spam
pupper
>>
>>71699268
>Why don't you save money for the future?
What money? What future?
>>
>>71704008
Ahh your a lucky cunt, Australia and the south of the US is life on easy mode.
>>
>>71708360
I already have my own apartment though. And having my house completely paid off at 25 doesn't sound that bad to me. And I can do it without a credit score.

Maybe one day, I'll put the effort in to build a credit score but just not in my immediate future.
>>
>>71704038
Did you do it without any help from your dad or from a single mother household?
>>
>>71699268
lol, except they are saving more than anyone else.

http://time.com/money/4170946/millennials-saving-more-retirement/
>>
>>71708652
Well, when you get fucked over trying to get a Home Owner's Loan, don't come crying to us.
>>
>>71701394
Get over it, not every student has enough time away from their studies to work at Mickey D's. Minimum wage hardly is a drop in the bucket compared to college expenses these days. And if you want to live away from mommy and daddy? There's no chance of being debt free. Loans have become an integral part of the college moneymaking scheme.
>>
>>71706011
World World 3 is going to happen, The chinks and the burger's.
>>
>>71708799
>not using your degenerate genes to get a house
abbo here, i work (70k a year) and i now own a 650,000 house with my wife.

didn't even graduate high school desu
>>
>>71708799
I'm not going to need a loan.
>>
>>71709375
I can fucking say right right now you don't deserve your job.
>>
>>71709626
kek
TAFE and the ability to not be a cunt senpai, it'll revolutionize your life
>>
>tfw $35k in brokerage/online savings
>$35k in retirement
>student loans paid off
>car paid off (2013)
>just got a promotion

AMA
>>
>>71705281
The answer of course is to be miserable your entire life.
>>
>>71699268
We haven't experienced scarcity.
>>
I only just started saving a year ago, and since then I've saved £600 a month religiously. I wish I'd started sooner. I'm 25 now and I have about £10,000 in premium bonds and £8,000 in an interest account. Don't know if I'm going to spend it on going to university to study Audiology or just carry on doing what I'm doing now (a minimum wage job).
>>
>>71709793
how old are you
>>
>>71703191
84 here also. We're the Oregon Trail Generation.
>>
I'm 26 and just counted I have 220k liquid.

It's easy as fuck. Just don't spend money and get a decent job.

Entertainment is cheap, 4chan is free, booze is free because I live at parent's.
>>
>>71699268
Because there is no money to save.
>>
>>71699268
What is Tubby doing these days?
>>
>$16,800 per year
>18,8% inflation
>saving

For what purpose. Money is getting cheaper faster than i can put them away.

Lol heartily at you westerner "redpilled" jokers toiling and reveling in pointless frugality while life goes by and rich people still run circles around everyone by virtue of bein born.
>>
>>71711141

27 m8
>>
>>71711498
How hard is it to get your employer to pay in euro/dollars?
>>
>>71711429
Still casting Dota. In fact he is at ESL One Manila right now.
>>
>>71712099

>get your employer to buy foreigg currency to pay you out output made in roubles

You're a funny guy i kill you last
>>
>>71712464
Idk man all of my friends in russia are paid half if not all their salary in euro
Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.