[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /pol/, I'm a high school senior who will be starting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: 1460269675925.jpg (14 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1460269675925.jpg
14 KB, 184x184
Hey /pol/, I'm a high school senior who will be starting college this August.

Is business/finance a career dead-end? I hear the market is saturated and all the other stuff.
>>
>>71697527
I've also heard that business is favorable mostly to white and/or tall people, and I'm 5'6 and of Iranian - sandpeople -extraction (but very handsome, desu).
>>
>>71697527
I wouldn't go business, it's too general and therefore harder to market. Finance degrees are solid. I'm doing computer science and think it's great.

Just don't get a meme degree, many degrees are truly worthless.
>>
Sell weed.
>>
>>71697653
> computer science
Hey, good on you! I have a lot of brilliant friends going into that field

So is finance not just a meme degree? I'm a clueless 18 yr old, so how would it look coming out of a top-20 public school with a Finance degree?
>>
>>71697527
I'm a senior also and I haven't even applied to any college get. lel
>>
>>71697795
I have two friends who got finance related degrees and both are doing well. One of them is doing extremely well financially. It will be harder than business but I would recommend this path. It will give you more tangible skills then the business degree.
>>
>All these kids on /pol/ still falling for the college meme
>>
>>71698018
Thank you, senpai

How did you like your college experience?
>>
>>71697527
As long as you can innovate business will not be a dead end.

However, if you lack that base creativity it takes to get acceptance in the market your fucked.

Go pick up a trade in any case. Welding or something. Just so you have a fallback.
>>
>>71698162
Well yeah dude, I can't just get my high school diploma, take out a $500k loan and then start my own business. Plus I want to be surrounded by other 18-22 year olds anway and not have to deal with my Wall Street bosses Shekel and Berg for at least half a decade or so
>>
>>71697527
Current finance major just be sure you go to a good business school and network a shit ton.
>>
>>71698398
mainly the networking.
>>
>>71698222
it's been about 50/50 , I hung out with too many retards and shallow friends early on.
>>
>>71698470
That's too bad, but I hope you'll end up happy very soon and for life :)

btw, what do you have to say regarding clubs and Greek life?
>>
>>71698398
What do you know of the reputations of the following:

UVA, TCU, Emory, William & Mary
>>
>>71697653
>>71698314
>>71697527
>>71698018

How about Business Administration as a second degree? I have the chance to make this in 3/5 the time because of my current degree.
I have an idea of what I want to do in a future so I think this can help, but what do you think?
>>
>asking one of the dumbest board about college

Why
>>
Get an accounting degree. If you can do basic number-crunching, then you can be an accountant. They get paid very well too and don't usually have to work weekends. April and March are usually awful though (tax time).
>>
>>71697527
>>>/biz/
Where you might get a better answer than a politics board.
>>
There are a number of people who pursue business degrees that have an easy time finding managerial positions in just about any business. Half of them turn out to be petty bureaucrats though. Don't be that "work is beneath me" asshat. Network with peers and businesses. Realize that "Master's degree in business" and "Entrepreneur" aren't the same thing.

Finance is paid well so long as you can find an opening. Pestering companies for work for months is a good idea. I knew a guy (a muslim in fact) who hounded one firm for nearly a year, and once he finished his degree he ended up turning them down because a different firm made him a better offer.
>>
>>71697527
This is a little off topic,

But kid, you have no idea the Liberal shit storm you're about to enter. I hope you're strong because college is killing me
>>
>>71699101
Uva produces fantastic engineers and looks great on a resume overall. Brother got his bachelor's and masters in aerospace. Pulling 95k with Lockheed doing satellite development at 27 years old
>>
>>71701572
>>71699101

UVA
not overly SJW, from what I know
>>
>>71697527
Economics and finance degree here. I hate it, never liked it but I'm good at it and it's marketable. My advice to anyone is always the same, find a job first then find a career. I was lucky, I started dating a girl whose dad owns a large mechanical contracting company. I started working with him doing pipe fitting then moved onto welding, found out I was good at it and I liked it. When I started school at 18, her dad told me that business knowledge is more important for running it so that's what I studied.
>>
>>71703204
And do you plan to invest or expand soon? Very cool story with your girlfriend and her dad's company, btw.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.