[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Boomers in the workplace thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5
File: 1457133363362.jpg (62 KB, 1285x945) Image search: [Google]
1457133363362.jpg
62 KB, 1285x945
> killing time with temp work while waiting to start law school
> friend of friend mentions that boomer is looking for a temp
> hear basic rundown of position, it sounds like it would be OK
> email boomer inquiring about the position
> boomer responds CCing 9 of his employees announcing that I will be temping for them the next week and providing a more detail of rundown of the position
> literally no wage and hour information, I already have plans to travel that next week
> send three emails saying that his start date won't work and that we will need to discuss pay, hours, and expected end date before I show up
> no response
> try to call
> no response
> next week comes and I don't show up
> get angry call from boomer at 9AM demanding to know why I fucked them by not showing up to work

Was it normal in the 80s to just start working somewhere without any basic information on the position? This is the 3rd time that a boomer has tried to pull this kind of shit on me. I assume they waited so long because they expected me to work 60 hours a week for below-market wages.
>>
Another one of my favorites is

> Boomers constantly mock my English Literature degree
> all of their emails and official documents are riddled with grammatical/spelling errors
>>
File: 1457161195269.png (345 KB, 498x568) Image search: [Google]
1457161195269.png
345 KB, 498x568
>>71640974

Forgot to post image, it's mfw a boomer "edits" something I put together by making it grammatically incorrect or inserting generic marketing language at random intervals
>>
>>71640161
Pretty much. If there's a boomer in any position of power in a workplace you're considering joining, walk the fuck away immediately. You will not have a good time.

I worked briefly for a Steak 'n Shake that a rich boomer in my area franchised, and he ran that place into the ground in less than a year. Everything they touch turns to shit, including their personalities and attitudes.
>>
>>71641657

I just don't understand how they've lived so long. The overwhelming majority of boomers I meet in the workplace do literally nothing other than collect a paycheck and complain.
>>
>>71640161
>Was it normal in the 80s to just start working somewhere without any basic information on the position?
Ugh anon you should've just KNOWN when to come in, what an entitled millennial you are
>>
>>71640974
>english literature degree
>degree in one of the easiest fucking classes
>instead of a useful subject
>>
>>71642056

I was able to secure steady employment as a copywriter making $50k and then $65k per year after I graduated. I did that for two years, then took the LSAT. I scored in the 99th percentile because study of English Literature is almost entirely based on critical thinking.

Agree with you that most English majors are worthless, but if you actually apply yourself you can do very well. It's easy to simply "pass" English classes with a C or D average, but getting As takes a lot of work.
>>
>>71640161
why didn't you do the first day to see if you liked the work for the pay? maybe temp work is trial for the first day then pay is discussed, I've never done it before but you made your friend look bad here, you should have pressed your friend really hard for info if you weren;t sure... anything else is tacit agreement of the status quo.
>>
>>71641916
>I just don't understand how they've lived so long.
99% of them are on medicaid and social security, so they don't have to pay a dime when it comes to healthcare. Why else do you think they all hate the idea of Bernie and free healthcare? It's literally the Boomer antithesis.

But yes, that's why they've lived so long, that's why all they do is complain. Boomers in the workplace are pissed because they have to suffer the indignity they imposed upon future generations themselves. It's like baking a poisoned cake and being forced to eat it. You'd complain, too, especially if you didn't think you'd have to eat it.
>>
>>71640974
Holy shit this. 80% of my workplace is Boomers. No exaggeration.

>none of them can spell for shit
>it's government so most are lazy as shit
>spend most of the day talking about sports instead of working
>retarded computer skills
>act superior when you're new and don't know jargon that they're supposed to be teaching you
>the females won't respond to work emails unless you small talk with them
>even the ones who like firearms (my only chance for stimulating conversation) are Fudds
>all make a shit ton of bloated wages but have severe financial problems

Torture. The good news is that just showing up, having a pulse, and doing my job gains me the reputation of some overly ambitious workaholic and I'm prime for a promotion already within my first year.
>>
>>71642533

They are always that upper middle class types. Think because of the wage they make, they can all of the sudden by that big house, a cottage on the lake and that highend bmw or mercedes, eat out every lunch and dinner, and have the latest gadgets.

Hilarious to see them living paycheck to paycheck. When if they just stopped blowing it all away, they would be living quite comfotably
>>
>>71640161
>be me
>in a shit post college entry level insurance job
>do it for two years with make little more money
>can't stand the job
>I feel powerless, can't do anything, so many processes I can improve, dying to move up or to a more rewarding and challenging position
>baby boomer boss tells me the company works on a slower time table
>boss: " hey look at me, I'm retiring in 5 years and there are lots of people on management like me, just be patient"

This motherfucker thinks I'm going to work for 25 years to be one position over what I'm at now???
>>
>>71642865
What else do you expect from the people that were able to buy a car, enjoy hot meals, and secure a home and property of their own, all because they went down to the docks and got a job shoveling coal six hours a week, or walked into an office building and got a secretary job?

Blowing their money comes naturally to these people because that's all they've been doing all their lives.

To be completely fair to boomers, though, millenials aren't much better, but that's largely because each generation has preached the idea of spending everything and saving nothing to the next generation since the boomers.
>>
>>71642865
My cousin lives in an aspirational middle class area.
He works hard so his wife can sit at home and eat cake all day (do housework)
His house is nice but the decor is modest and the car is 10 years old, but he's infinitely proud that he doesn't owe a penny to a single bank, person, organisation, lender etc.

All his neighbours are up to their eyeballs in debt because they're neuvau riche and can't bear to think that Mr Johnson over the road has a newer/nicer car than them, or that Mrs Smith just got a new Granite kitchen and theirs is already 3 years old.
So they all work long hours, leave their kids alone all day and take out endless loans, car finances and re-morgages then go round to my Cousins' and laughs at the Ikea bookcase, manual lawnmower or the non-mac computers.
>>
My dad was just a big older than boomers. Born in '43.

He had this idea that after college, I could put on a suit, walk into a random "corporation", extend a firm hand-shake and be handed a company car, a hot secretary, and like, responsibilities and stuff.

I felt sorry for him.
>>
>>71642435
I take that back then, you're not a faggot.
>>
>>71640161
I honestly would father work with boomers than millenials desu
I don't care how stupid they are

Also are you even sure it was a boomer? Because the youngest boomers are like 60 nowadays while the oldest are like 80
>>
I work for public utility and our most 'experienced' supervisor is a boomer. All he does is produce golden laughs and lots of stress for everyone around him.
>>
>>71644201
Boomer only describes an American generation lad
>>
>>71644294

>American education
>>
>>71644294
There was a german boom the exact same time. They show the same ignorance and entitlement your grandpa has.
>>
>>71644552
It still is only used by Americans
It's an American term for an American generation coined by Americans and generation theory
>>
>>71644832
What do you want to get here, an american circlejerk?
>>
>>71644911
Yeah pretty much
This thread was set up from the beginning as an American circle jerk
All boomer/millennial threads are
>>
File: 1453187872279.gif (22 KB, 94x122) Image search: [Google]
1453187872279.gif
22 KB, 94x122
>>71644832
The German term for that generation is die Säugling Hallen, scrub. Get it right.
>>
Shouldn't boomers almost as a whole be retiring, or in some cases dead soon? I hope they don't plan to work into their 70s, workforce doesn't need their out of touch asses anymore.
>>
>>71645019
Still different terms lad
Unless those German were children/coming of age in the American 60s they're two very different groups
>>
>>71642449
OP was traveling that week.
>>
>>71645127
They keep working because they have no retirement saved up. They blow their money on big houses they can't afford, their bmws and expensive toys. Then they wonder why they have so much debt and living paycheck to paycheck.
>>
>>71645127

>boomers
>ever retiring
wew
>>
>>71642435
It's actually really surprising how bad most people's English skills are. Writing is a skill, a pretty basic skill, but one that many people just never develop.
>>
>>71642435
Knew I should've majored in English.

I don't particularly like grammar and the fucking rules, but I loved literary analysis. It's extremely enjoyable, but you're right, it takes a great deal of critical thinking.
>>
>>71645205
You are aware that the west germans pretty much did everything the same way the americans did - or at least tried to?
>>
>>71646136
I don't get it either. I have zero desire to do anything truly academic, I just like working with my hands, but at the same time, just reading books let me ace English classes.
>>
>>71642865
Nigga I blow all my money too.

Thanks god I've got a 401k with company match. Been putting 6% in there for about four years now. Should be in good shape for retirement.
>>
>>71646122
They won't have much choice but to retire when the cold touch of death pulls them from this mortal coil.
>>
>>71646549
Oh yeah I'm sure post war Germany was exactly like post war America
>>
>>71647104

Yeah but by the time that finally happens I will be in my late 30s/early 40s and all their vacated jobs will go to recent grads while I get fucked
>>
>>71640161
you should have copied other people in your email follow-ups. people are much more likely to respond if they know others can see work (ie. responding to an email) is due. the hiring manager would know that other people internally knew he fucked up.
>>
>>71647129
from the 60's on yes mostly (in west-germany ofc.), you deluded fool, you talk just as arrogant as the people you hate on in this thread
>>
>>71647377
Nah man you'll be in the prime position to take those. New grads don't know fucking shit. They think they do but they don't, and in many professions that makes them dangerous.
>>
>>71646136
Yep. You don't feel like you're "good at English", it just feels like everyone else is a fucking moron
>>
>>71645205
>>71647129
what's your problem? there was a huge boom in population in germany because the allies killed them all. there are similarities
>>
>>71642005
>fag
>edgy

Even the ID called you out
>>
>>71647928
kek
>>
>>71646136
I think they would be a lot better if it wasn't socially frowned upon to ridicule people for making common grammar and spelling mistakes.

Just look at this place. Anyone who posts something with mistakes gets mocked relentlessly. A lot of people here are idiots, but you can understand the shit that they're typing 99% of the time.
>>
>>71648724
To be fair, constantly pointing them out is kind of a cunt move. But if it's business emails, suggesting spellchecker shouldn't be frowned upon.
>>
>>71640161

Wah Boomer Boomer Boomer. Shut the fuck up you whiney cunt.
>>
>>71645127
>Boomers
>Ever, EVER retiring
There's a reason why some people bitch about not getting jobs and it's boomers not fucking off already.
>>
>you need to look for another job while you have one
>you need to quit with two weeks notice but you also need to accept an offer and begin working immediately

my favorite
>>
>>71640161
Just be glad that your boomers are nearly dead
>tfw Norn Irish
>parent grew up in the Celtic Tiger
>ma would always lecture me about not having a job
>says she just walked into a café and asked for a job, moved out and went to uni and supported 2 kids on a waitresses salary, how hard can it be :DDDD
>spent nearly a year sending out CV's
>17 years old at the time so had fuck all experience
>get a lecture everyday about being a lazy peice of shit and how it's so easy to get a job
>lost track of how many times I tried to explain were in a triple recession in the poorest region of the UK there are no fucking jobs
>finally get a job after forcing my dad to call up an old friend
>says he'll get me an interview but he has no say in the hiring process
>do my research on the company, come in suited up and ace the interview
>earn £5 an hour
>manager is fucking useless and doesn't tell me about 2 of my shifts (wasn't even on the rota)
>nearly get fired
>haven't worked in 2 weeks
>didn't even get paid for the 5 days of holidays I get per year
>0 hour contract
>still have to give 20% of my pay to my parents
Fuck
>>
>>71648724
It's frowned upon because it's a waste of everyone's time. You'd have to be autistic or 13 to think there is value in pointing out simple mistakes that don't interfere with the meaning of the sentence
>>
File: RandyLaptop.jpg (56 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
RandyLaptop.jpg
56 KB, 960x540
>>71642533
>>spend most of the day talking about sports instead of working

I feel like the public schools have nursed that particular type of dumbass into an easy mode life. Autistic sports fags are products the commie public schools. They are taking over society, and being used as useful idiots to push multicultural shit like MLK being worshiped as a national hero. They are dysgenically bred, subhumans gaming the system to live fat lives they didn't earn. Prussian education will be the downfall of the west.
>>
>>71640161

Yeah, sounds shady as fuck. He was definitely trying to fuck you over.
>>
>>71642533
Where innagovernment do you work?
>>
>>71640161

I think it depends on which field you go into.

>be mechanical engineer
>boomer work mates are all bro tier
>super enthusiastic to have you there
>want to teach you everything and help you learn
>if you're not a fuck up talk about promotion
>respect is only given if you're not a fuck up and learn
>great pay, great benefits, great banter
>a lot worked at NASA back in the day so we get space center stories

Then again, I have had other jobs with boomers

>be in college
>need money
>work shitty retail job at Bombay
>managers and bosses are all boomer women and men
>can't show up to work on time, some even go missing for a week without notice
>one day I had to go home because boomer manager never showed up to open store
>talk about maybe making me a manager seeing that I had my shit together
>"Oh no anon, you're not ready for that $12 hour pay with ALL those responsibilities. Maybe in a year"
>they higher another boomer manager after one quits without telling anyone
>boomer comes in one day
>boomer manager is never seen again

wew lad.
>>
>>71652384

Gee... I wonder why our country is going to shi--

Fuck that, I don't need to ask. I know exactly why.

Fucking.

Boomers.
>>
>>71651565
I hate sports fans. I feel like it's just drivel that they use yo fill up conversation time without actually saying anything. Then if you aren't into sports they think you're immasculine despite the fact that all they're doing is watching a tv set and getting fat while never learning anything new or enjoying anything different.
>>
>>71644294
>>71644552
It's used over here aswell... How is the term not applicable in Europe? It just means when people started having families of 7 after WW2
>>
File: 1456371338040.jpg (43 KB, 640x625) Image search: [Google]
1456371338040.jpg
43 KB, 640x625
>>71647677

> mfw tense confusion everywhere

It's literally hell. I wish I never learned to read
>>
DEATH CAMPS FOR BOOMERS

...is my new band name
>>
I hate boomers, they take shit tons of time off even though they ran out of vacation time. They literally just demand certain days off even though we aren't obligated to give it to them, and my pushover managers keep saying ok because they know I'll pick up the shifts. As a result, last year I missed out on three vacation days because I never got to use them and that shit doesn't roll over or cash out.
Fuck my job
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.