[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Society and the 7 deadly sins
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
Is the best way of living, living to avoid the seven deadly sins?

These "evil thoughts" can be categorized into three types:

This reflects liberal society, no one settles down for a family because he wants to have a fun life
>lustful appetite (gluttony, fornication, and avarice)

This leads to drastic decisions which could end up ending a life (be it yours or someone elses)
>irascibility (wrath)

This kills you and your social environment
>mind corruption (vainglory, sorrow, pride, and discouragement)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_deadly_sins
>>
>>71627932
Keep your Papist rules to yourself. Moses was given 10 commandments and so were the prophets, and Jesus and the apostles gave out commands but no 7 deadly sins. All sin brings death.
>>
>>71628033
The 10 commandments are worse than the 7 deadly sins. Someone clearly put thought into the 7 and how they should reflect positive qualities required in a succesful society. The 10 commandments are pretty much just GODGODGOD don't be a complete fucking animal.
>>
>>71628158
Romanists aren't saved so they mess around with whatever they see fit as they interpret the Bible to give themselves that kind of authority.

Its to be expected than an unregenerate man like yourself would hate the commandments of God
>>
File: tight.jpg (72 KB, 529x401) Image search: [Google]
tight.jpg
72 KB, 529x401
>>71627932
Pursue them, deeply understand them, put them aside afterwards as they are rooted in maslow's hierarchy of needs. They are only sins when seeking fulfillment blindly and ignorantly that will unnecessarily harm yourself or others.
>>
>>71628245
They make perfect sense to me from an atheist's perspective. A lot in Catholicism is actually about controlling and molding society to success than it is about the religion itself. Certainly heresy for a Christian, but an excellent tool for everyone else.
>>
Go live as an ascetic monk in Tibet or something then. I agree with the whole "desire causes suffering" concept but to be honest, removing desire and consequently suffering cuts out an integral part of the human experience. I agree that modern society is suffering from its own excess but going to the opposite extreme of self deprivation to completely avoid the 7 sins is not the only way forward.

Just live life moderately, without gluttonous excess or the deprivation of asceticism, so that you can suffer a little and therefore experience true joy after which can only result from exposure to said suffering. Cutting out the 7 deadly sins completely will leave you content, but not necessarily happy. Maybe some people would prefer that, to have a simple feeling of "it's not stellar, but I'm fine" where both the highs and lows of life are eliminated, but personally I'd rather take the whole mixed bag with equal share of joy and suffering.
>>
>>71628604
I don't think the seven deadly sins include desire. To me the ones that tell you to live ascetically would be ones modified by strongly religious individuals.
Wiki tells me they're currently
>hubristic pride, greed, lust, malicious envy, gluttony, wrath and sloth
>>
>>71628158
>>71628033
the 10 commandments don't cover everything nowadays people fuck around too much and don't settle down and seeing and they also they came from a time where obesity wasn't a thing.

>>71628466
Abrahametic religions are pure breeding tools just compare western society birth rates with the birth rates of religious countries.

>>71628604
There's no way of avoiding it but my motto was always "Everything in moderation" or "The dose is which makes the poison".

As a example gluttony isn't for me if you like to stuff yourself with good food once in a while it's only a sins if it's a habit which controls you.
>>
>>71629198
My point is that all of those sins stem from the general category of desire. Greed is an excessive desire for money, gluttony the excessive desire for food, lust the desire for carnal pleasure, envy the desire for another's property/achievements, wrath the desire to bring pain/suffering unto another, sloth the desire to avoid expending effort/general laziness, and pride the inflated desire for self significance.

I might not have done the most in depth explanation but I do think that the seven deadly sins ultimately stem from the desire to seek excess in the various aspects of our lives.
>>
File: 1371237580333.jpg (98 KB, 1299x720) Image search: [Google]
1371237580333.jpg
98 KB, 1299x720
>>71629806
The fact remains that desires taken to an excess and namely not restricting those desires, be it through religion, conservatism or traditionalism will lead to the situation the West now faces itself in. Our birth rates have collapsed, our peoples are intentionally being replaced by foreigners for the sake of profit and those very people hold the conservative, desire-curbing values our peoples have abandoned.

No society in history has ever managed to correct this decline and I have doubts over whether we, even with the internet will be able to. It may be that none of these worries will matter in a post-singularity society, but who knows.
>>
>>71628158
Well, goy-kun, the 10 commandments don't even apply to Christians. And for Jews, the ten commandments are more symbolic than anything as the entire torah is considered commandments.
>>
>>71630144
Again, I agree that excess is damaging to society. How we go about tackling it is an issue I am unsure about however. I think we need to be careful with falling back on religion and traditionalism to force people into compliance with a moderate lifestyle.

In the past this works for some time, but religious and traditional institutions tend to alienate people after a while. This is due to abuse of authority from within or because said institutions often rule with a "because I said so" type of morality that tries to suppress scrutiny and often condemns any questions against it.

Think of people as children; if your only method of parenting is simply putting your foot down every time your child questions you rather than trying to reason with them then they'll grow to resent you and purposely flout your authority.

Many /pol/ users (myself included) like to use the analogy of a swinging pendulum that results from society continuously alternating between two extremes. I'd say this is fairly accurate when looking at how societal attitudes tend to swing between liberal and conservative, with our current political landscape being full of toxic regressive left ideology as a result of the "because I said so" conservative ideology that preceded it.

All of this is a long way of saying I'm honestly unsure of how to approach this issue without merely perpetuating the pendulum's swing.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.